Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Oatcake
Last Drink Date: 15 Dec 2019

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Oatcake » 18 Dec 2019 03:22

Hi!
Well, was on here a considerable time ago, and completely lapsed.
No on day 2, and the dreaded insomnia is back with me.......
Need to do this.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 18 Dec 2019 08:39

Welcome Oatcake! I used to get terrible insomnia on withdrawal too. Can you get anything to help with it - nytol or something from your GP? Well done for getting back here. Are you going to join the 7 day challenge? It'd be wonderful if you went htrough this withdrawal and then never had to go through it again! I've only finally got sober since joining here, and the liberation is immense.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

wannabenormal
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Old Member returning as New Member to share Success

Post by wannabenormal » 18 Dec 2019 17:49

Guys
I doubt anyone will remember me but ........
I just want to send out a whole lot of hugs to everyone. I am a success story, I tapered off my alcohol addiction Christmas 2014/2015 thanks to everyone here.

I got my life back, moved on and got back in to RL . But as my job is International IT Consulting I managed to catch a strange virus in Asia and ended up in a Coma.

I still manage to stay off the demons, but now Im out of the coma for several months I am being treated for PTSD in a clinic in Germany where I live.

But during a session I explained just how good things can work out when you get back to RL and I remembered what I had forgotten the people here. It's a bit difficult to post as I am in the Bavarian Alps .....

But to everyone here .....

1) You can do it
2) It's worth it
3) Broken lives can be healed and rebuilt
4) Never give up
5) Sometimes it's hard
6) YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!

And thanks to all you guys for helping me heal myself
and I am almost through the PTSD from the virus coma ..... maybe in my subconscious I remembered this

All the best
Wannabenormal (James)
:\: \:)/ \:)/ (::) ;)? ;)? :\: :\:
You can only Taper once : Second time around your body knows what you are up to.
What doesn't kill you: only makes you strong .
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC » 18 Dec 2019 20:05

Hiya wannabe

Thanks for sharing your success story

Get well soon from your virus etc.

Happy Christmas.
JC
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Praejw

Post by Praejw » 28 Dec 2019 20:36

Hi!

I'm new on here and haven't done anything like this before - as in admit to anyone but myself that I have an issue and need to get myself some help.
I'm really not sure what to expect or what I might find on this site, I just know it's time to be serious now.

I don't drink day in day out but I am an emotional drinker, I have a terribly 'comfortable' relationship with alcohol and always drink to excess. The aches and pains I suffer due to what I'm putting my body through are getting worse, I'm perminently tired and irratable and this has always had an awful impact on my family life. I need to change this.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 28 Dec 2019 21:26

Praejw wrote:
28 Dec 2019 20:36
Hi!

I'm new on here and haven't done anything like this before - as in admit to anyone but myself that I have an issue and need to get myself some help.
I'm really not sure what to expect or what I might find on this site, I just know it's time to be serious now.

I don't drink day in day out but I am an emotional drinker, I have a terribly 'comfortable' relationship with alcohol and always drink to excess. The aches and pains I suffer due to what I'm putting my body through are getting worse, I'm perminently tired and irratable and this has always had an awful impact on my family life. I need to change this.
Hi Praejw, welcome aboard! Sounds like your mind and body both need a rest from the booze really.

You'll find there's a lot of variety on BE. Some come on here to reduce their drinking, some come with the aim of quitting permanently, some aren't sure but know they are unhappy with their relationship with alcohol and want to explore it. What there is here is tons of support and information, and somewhere you can share your thoughts and feelings safely.

Praejw

Post by Praejw » 28 Dec 2019 21:32

Thx for the kind welcome soberboots, I'm definitely looking for the perminent option. I've had a look around and I think I'll like coming here for support. Seems like a great little community.
<:)>

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 28 Dec 2019 23:55

Praejw wrote:
28 Dec 2019 21:32
Thx for the kind welcome soberboots, I'm definitely looking for the perminent option. I've had a look around and I think I'll like coming here for support. Seems like a great little community.
<:)>
It is a fab place to be :D I found it helpful to work through the challenges (there's lots of different lengths) although I knew my goal was to quit forever. Having some structure to it seemed helpful. I was recommended to read Allen Carr's Easy Way (a self-help programme),and that was a turning point for me so I'd suggest giving them a go. Of the threads on here, the Road to Abstinence is always full of inspiration.

popcorn

Post by popcorn » 30 Dec 2019 15:11

Hello everyone

Just thought I would re-introduce myself.

I was on this forum a long time ago but didn’t engage as much I should have done at that time. Over 9 years later not much has changed except I am now more tired, more secretive, more anxious and more disconnected with life in general.

I’ve always been a private drinker. My friends and family know I like a drink and I’m viewed as generally sociable, but I’m very rarely drunk in public. Yesterday I had a post Xmas get together with a few friends in a pub. It was nice. One friend got very drunk ( not a habit of hers, just a little over indulgence as she rarely drinks). I stayed in control, put her in a cab etc. Difference is my friend went home to bed to sleep it off. I went home and drank a large amount of gin - behind closed doors of course - and very much a habit of mine.

I aim to engage on the cutting down forum first and then move to the 7 day challenge soon hopefully.
But just wanted to say Hi for now

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 30 Dec 2019 15:57

Hi Popcorn, and welcome back.

I used to do the same thing myself - have a night out and drink moderately, but then come home and hoover up wine on my own till I passed out in the small hours. Bonkers, isn't it?

Great that you've come back here, reaching out for support is so important and also really brave.

I've ditched the drink altogether, and am so happy to have it out of my life.

popcorn

Post by popcorn » 30 Dec 2019 17:45

Thank You Sb.. yes it is quite bonkers. I largely shun opportunities for social drinking and just prefer to hoover up alone
At home.

I’m staying with friends tomorrow so will probably be moderate
drinking. Then come New Year I plan on change and aiming to to be AF at some stage in 2020.

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 30 Dec 2019 18:36

Hi popcorn
good to have you here

PeterHill

Post by PeterHill » 30 Dec 2019 20:12

Hello everyone :\: , my name is Peter and I'm now in day 40 of no alcohol, down from 25 units a day. I've managed reasonably OK but my body's now doing odd things that I didn't read about so I'm hoping I might find some help here!

All was good for the first month, suddenly constipation and sugar craving have appeared - I hadn't read about this anywhere, is it transient?

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 30 Dec 2019 22:02

Hi Peter :\: and a big welcome to BE, congrats too on 40 days sober (::) (::) You’ll find lots of help and support on here, lots of different threads to read through as you’ll have seen. I’m sure someone will be along soon to advise you on the problems you’ experiencing. Look forward to seeing you around the threads ;)?

clanger
Last Drink Date: 23 May 2016

Post by clanger » 31 Dec 2019 00:06

PeterHill wrote:
30 Dec 2019 20:12
Hello everyone :\: , my name is Peter and I'm now in day 40 of no alcohol, down from 25 units a day. I've managed reasonably OK but my body's now doing odd things that I didn't read about so I'm hoping I might find some help here!

All was good for the first month, suddenly constipation and sugar craving have appeared - I hadn't read about this anywhere, is it transient?
Hi, welcome and well done! I can't comment on the constipation but totally empathise with you on sugar (in fact any refined carbohydrate) craving. I'm guessing there's a similar physiological / brain chemistry reaction to alcohol and sugar - both can be highly addictive for some people.

In the same way that my "cure" for alcohol addiction is abstinence on the basis that avoidance is easier than trying to moderate, I've found a low carb diet (Google ketogenic diet) a game changer and it transformed my health for a couple of years. I've maintained sobriety for a few years now, but have slipped back into sugar/carb addiction and it's been really hard to shake.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, it's not just you! And you might find ketogenic and low carb eating something that helps.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 31 Dec 2019 09:56

Hello Peter,

congratulations on your 40 days, that's brilliant \:)/ (::) \:)/

Sugar cravings are perfectly normal when giving up alcohol or other addictive drugs. It's to do with the hormone dopamine, more info here
https://wellnessretreatrecovery.com/sug ... addiction/. As the brain repairs and readjusts to being without the abnormal stimulus of alcohol, dopamine goes haywire for a while. As well as the sugar cravings, it can also affect your mood, making you irritable or experiencing a horrible flat, empty feeling. The repair process starts early, so you soon notice improvements, but it goes on for quite a long time so it's important not to get discouraged. Also very very important is to supplement with vitamin B1 (thiamine) and magnesium, if you're not doing this already. Heavy drinkers are deficient in both, and they're needed for neurological repair.

I had the opposite of constipation and even several months into sobriety would still get occasional gripes and episodes of loose bowel movements. It did settle down eventually! The best thing you can do is make sure you eat well and drink plenty of water.
Last edited by SoberBoots on 01 Jan 2020 17:37, edited 2 times in total.

PeterHill

Post by PeterHill » 31 Dec 2019 18:25

Thanks so much all, lots of takeaways there! I knew about the keto diet but found it hard to implement, but really must try again as it's good for diabetes also.

I'm learning that the sites I originally checked were all a bit too positive and gave me the impression that the nasty side effects were early on and short-lived....

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 31 Dec 2019 19:02

I'm learning that the sites I originally checked were all a bit too positive and gave me the impression that the nasty side effects were early on and short-lived....
It's a longer process than most realise - after all we've generally been damaging ourselves for years before we get around to doing anything about it, so I guess it's not surprising. I just thought of it as all part of the recovery process, uncomfortable at times but positive, like healing from broken bones.

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 » 31 Dec 2019 20:09

A big welcome to all the new people on here and well done for taking the plunge! You definitely won't regret joining us here, it is a big help, lots of advice, no judgement and the support of people who know what it is like. Wishing everyone a happy sober New Year! Sue :\:
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

Lisagna

Post by Lisagna » 31 Dec 2019 23:31

Hello, I’m Lisa from Sydney, Australia. Congratulations on such a brilliant service this site provides. I stumbled upon it this morning while searching for detox information. I wish everyone well in their challenges and successes - know them only too well. I’ll have a look around for threads and resources - I’m currently trying to detox from one bottle of vodka (plus) per day. Any chats/advice would be immensely appreciated.
Happy New Year.