Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Chirpy
Last Drink Date: 16 May 2020

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Chirpy » 16 May 2020 21:12

Hi Everyone
I was here about 10 years ago and absolutely loved the forum, I signed off after a while of abstinence, and spent 10 happy years abstaining completely. Not a blip and not a worry. About 1.5 years ago and a new baby and a huge new job led to bad habits, and now I am back to square one. Hopefully I will manage to kick it again, as to be honest, the non-drinking was amazing, I was healthy (had a super healthy and happy baby at over 40 despite other health concerns), so I am incredibly disappointed in myself. My biggest struggle at the moment is saying no, and then feeling so shitty about myself that it just compounds everything over and over. My goal is complete abstinence again and I retained my old name, since that's what I always used to be, although not feeling that way at the moment.
Chirpy

Maddie
First Sober Date: 16 May 2020

Post by Maddie » 16 May 2020 21:37

Hi Chirpy

Welcome back to BE. Like you, I’ve just returned from a period of not being on the forum. I’m trying for a sustained period of abstinence, so you’re in the right place with like minded people with similar goals. 10 years abstinence is really amazing, so you know you can do it. Take it a day at a time, and be kind to yourself.
I found the lockdown not helpful which led me to start drinking more again. Thankfully I’m going back to work on Monday, so that should help me get back in to a proper routine.

Hopefully see you posting on the other threads.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Marilyn Monroe

Chirpy

Post by Chirpy » 16 May 2020 22:59

Thanks Maddie. Yes the 10 or so years were treasured, but it is what it is now. I just need to beat that and make it triple! Nice to see you back as well. I remember some of your posts.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 17 May 2020 06:48

Welcome back, Chirpy ;)?
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

debsuyar
Last Drink Date: 30 Apr 2016
First Sober Date: 03 Dec 2018

Post by debsuyar » 17 May 2020 08:23

:\: hi Chirpy
I’m a ‘returning’ member too...lovely to see that you are back again. Have a great day today xxxx <:)>
Ruin is the road to transformation....

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » 22 May 2020 03:44

Welcome back, returning members. <:)>

rivergirl

Post by rivergirl » 22 May 2020 20:34

Hello. I'm new here. :)

This isn't something that I ever dreamed I would need, always justifying my behaviour and putting it down to having a good time, celebrating, being in a bad mood or basically any other reason.

It's taken me ten years to realise that I've been ignoring the inevitable this whole time, and that this has to stop.
I'm a professional female, 30. I've finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and am ready for change, but the stigma of the A-word is isolating and makes me feel ashamed.

Today is day 6.

Days 1-5 went reasonably okay, minus an erratic sleep (or rather sleepless) pattern. But today, something has changed. I guess you could call it grief, I can't stop crying.

I think I'm scared about the future, and whilst it's easy to say that you don't need drink or you won't miss the hangovers or you'll lose weight and save money, I can't imagine life without it.

Anyway, that's why I'm here. Just to make some sense of this, and to learn how to think about it all differently.

I look forward to meeting you all.

R

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 22 May 2020 21:23

Hello Rivergirl,

Welcome to the Forum :-)

You’re making a great decision for yourself, and I see that you’re nearly through your first week, which is a really good start. Most of us experience the emotional ups and downs and broken sleep you describe. It’s disconcerting, but nothing to worry about - see it as a sign of healing.

Take a good look around, and post wherever you feel comfortable. Welcome once again, and I hope to see you around :-)
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 22 May 2020 22:33

Welcome Rivergirl!

You know, I didn't realise until I'd stopped drinking, and been stopped quite a while, just what a corrosive long term effect it was having on me. Initial withdrawal takes around two weeks, but physical, and particularly neurological, repair is quite a long process. It's very positive with a steep upward trends, but a lot of blips along the way! Crying is really normal - some feel grief for the loss of alcohol, some for all the regrets it caused, for me I had crying for no discernable reason, but flipped into bouts of euphoria too. You're in this for the long haul, and these are early days, so please be patient and kind to yourself. Nutrition is very important - eat well, but also supplement for a bit with B1, magnesium, and calcium.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Chirpy

Post by Chirpy » 22 May 2020 23:42

Welcome Rivergirl, you sound similar to me when I was 30. A great choice to have a look at your drinking and figure out how you want to be. You will find a community of people who are decent, kind and thoughtful, and with addiction issues in some form or another. Welcome and good luck and congratulations on day 6! \:)/ <:)>
Have a good look around the forum and there are so many wonderful threads and resources.
Chirpy

debsuyar
Last Drink Date: 30 Apr 2016
First Sober Date: 03 Dec 2018

Post by debsuyar » 23 May 2020 15:12

:\: Welcome Rivergirl
You have made an excellent choice with this site

You will find so much support and genuine kindness from other members.
As Chirpy suggests take a good look around, read posts and post where you feel happy. Well done on Day 6. Well done for being here.

Hope to see you around. I'm currently Day 10.

Good luck
Deb x
Ruin is the road to transformation....

littlegirllost

Post by littlegirllost » 29 May 2020 15:16

Hello. My name is Lizzie. Decided to join a forum like this because I am really struggling at the moment. Been addicted to alcohol last year, was starting to get help at a local support group but the virus has put everything on hold and cant access the help I need.

I am going through so much change at the moment. I am currently going through a divorce, well the start of one and I have gained a lot of weight. I have no confidence in myself and I feel currently trapped where I live. I have good and bad days. I use alcohol as a way of coping.

Anyway, a bit about me. Nice to meet you all and hope to chat soon.

Stay safe everyone :)

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ » 29 May 2020 15:56

Hey Lizzie,
Welcome to BE.
Oh gosh, I could have written that post of yours - and so could many others on here - so you are absolutely not alone.
But I am sorry to hear of your impending divorce and we do understand all that entails <:)>

We use alcohol as a crutch, but really it does nothing for us (except make us gain weight and get depressed and isolated).

Have a look around the forum and find a thread you like and get posting :-)

What are your aims?

hugs, Luna
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 29 May 2020 18:32

Hi Lizzie, welcome to the forum!

Many of us found this place because we weren't happy with our relationship with alcohol. You've really nailed it by calling it an addiction - that's exactly what it is. Have a read around the forum and decide where you'd like to post - the challenges are helpful for many, and a good way to meet new people.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 29 May 2020 18:34

Hi Lizzie - and welcome \:)/

I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through but there is so much hope. Well done for deciding to do something about your drinking - it takes bravery to do that.

As Luna says, please read around the forum and join in wherever you like. We are a friendly bunch and there should be a thread for most of the issues you might want to discuss. If not, just ask ;)?

Very best wishes,
Mark

Crossing with Sally :\:
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 » 29 May 2020 19:57

Hello Lizzie and welcome.

I am sorry to hear how wretched you feel and the difficulties you are going through - but all of those things are made worse by alcohol not better. You have realised that and reached out for help, the very hardest part is done. Well done. You will get loads of help and support on here, we all know what it is to hit rock bottom and we are all in the same boat so no judgement. Take care of yourself, have a good read around and post if you want to. Sue (::)
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

Button36
Last Drink Date: 06 Jun 2020

Post by Button36 » 07 Jun 2020 15:31

I first joined in 2016 but Ive found the forum again. I can’t moderate my drinking as much as I try and have reached the point where I need to stop. In other areas of my life I’m motivated and function well but wine is my downfall and it gets to that time of an evening and it’s all I can think about, when I drink I binge drink and today I feel awful. I’m so sad and lost and feel absolutely worthless. I know it’s not helping me at all and I don’t know what the pull is for me, lockdown is really affecting me at the moment. I suffer with anxiety and have spent most of the day crying. I’m looking forward to a sober future though

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 » 07 Jun 2020 16:11

Button36 wrote:
07 Jun 2020 15:31
I first joined in 2016 but Ive found the forum again. I can’t moderate my drinking as much as I try and have reached the point where I need to stop. In other areas of my life I’m motivated and function well but wine is my downfall and it gets to that time of an evening and it’s all I can think about, when I drink I binge drink and today I feel awful. I’m so sad and lost and feel absolutely worthless. I know it’s not helping me at all and I don’t know what the pull is for me, lockdown is really affecting me at the moment. I suffer with anxiety and have spent most of the day crying. I’m looking forward to a sober future though
Hello Button 36 and welcome back! Wine was always my downfall too you know what they say a bottle isn't enough and a glass is too much. Once I started |I couldn't stop. You are not worthless, you are a unique human being who, like many of us on here, have been tripped up by addiction. If we can't stop then we are addicted and once we accept that and reach out like you have, we can begin to find our way back. So welcome back again! You know your way around the website and the best place some people find is the 7 day challenge where everyone is in the same boat. Or the Road to abstinence is a fount of information. Whereever you go you will be welcome and will be offered practical advice and support . I wish you all the very best on your journey. Sue <:)>
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

Button36
Last Drink Date: 06 Jun 2020

Post by Button36 » 07 Jun 2020 16:16

Thank you so much for your reply, lovely words

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap » 07 Jun 2020 22:43

You sound exactly like I was button. It's not your fault it's not like a choice. It messes with your reward centre and makes you want it. You have done brilliant to come on here and want to stop. What worked for me was keeping a full tummy. I would eat sickly foods when cravings grabbed hold. There isn't any chance for me to moderate. All or none. So has to be none as I was ruining my life. You can do it. Go shopping tomorrow and buy your bodyweight in Jaffa Cakes \:)/