Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

And Now For Something Completely Different...

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
koalaBear
Last Drink Date: 07 Jul 2012

Re: And Now For Something Completely Different...

Post by koalaBear » 02 Mar 2013 09:46

Vagabond wrote:I know that I was drinking so much in the day time that I would alternate what shops I went to because I started getting paranoid that everyone knew!!
Me too!

I remember being in the que at Morison's checkout once with a bottle of vodka and a rustlers microwavable burgers in my basket. Turned around and somebody from work was behind me, absolutely mortifying :oops:
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space

Johnny Cash.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond » 02 Mar 2013 09:50

Rustlers microwave burgers, along with pot noodles form the cornerstone of any nutritious diet..

Maybe. :lol:

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 » 02 Mar 2013 09:58

You lov a pot nod. You keep talking about them.

Sober shopping baskets are much more boring I must say. Although mine def has a lot more choc that ever before.

My drinking basket would be bottles of sav blanc and lucozade and full fat coke for the morning and dr oetker pizzas that I would cook on the night and then eat for breakfast.

Health health health sweetie!
You can't pour from an empty cup.

grendeldave

Post by grendeldave » 02 Mar 2013 12:03

Lottie, I strongly disagree! :o AF baskets boring? :shock: (But I know exactly where you are coming from! :oops: ). That money spent down the aisle! Go to the deli counter and buy something outrageous! I know, I know, x amount on an odd Eastern European smoked sausage? Try it! We know what sauvignon blanc tastes like, been there and done that. Let us branch out! :D. Sausage rules. Actually, you can use a good salami for drawing a straight line but I meander off into bloke shed land ......
Desire is an illusion unless it is a streetcar. Don't get run over.

#88 - 2013 Challenge

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 02 Mar 2013 13:21

Haha! A poster of this parish once wrote that his shopping was 36 cans of lager, a single toilet roll, and a pot noodle.

A bottle of vodka and a rustlers burger? Now that's classy...

I was once in a three piece suit, buying a sandwich, a bottle of vodka, and 20 fags, at 8 in the morning.
<insert pathos here>

grendeldave

Post by grendeldave » 02 Mar 2013 13:30

Ahem!!! Just remembered we are not supposed to mention the A- word on this thread. :oops: Soooo I read today about scientists who have managed to connect the brains of two rats via electrodes so that they can interact. Now, just to nail my colours to the mast and knowing others will disagree but I see nothing wrong in animal experiments if it benefits us humans. OK, I accept many will take issue with that, but even with that attitude I am horrified by this. Connecting living beings together through their brains? Another brain working through mine, even if I am just a rat? I haven't thought it through yet but the idea just makes me feel sick. Now that is something completely different and I do not like it. For what purpose do they do this?

#88 - 2013 Challenge

Lottie38

Post by Lottie38 » 02 Mar 2013 21:37

I would say they do it because they can.

I agree - the idea of someone knowing what I'm thinking is horrifying!

The hint that I don't get with animal experiments is that whilst I can see that they hold help humans but do they really? Our make up is different is it not?

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2011

Post by Boris Bike » 02 Mar 2013 22:01

They test the make-up on animals as well. ()o

Lottie38

Post by Lottie38 » 02 Mar 2013 22:08

Ha ha! Thanks boris :)

grendeldave

Post by grendeldave » 02 Mar 2013 22:39

Lottie38 wrote:I would say they do it because they can.

I agree - the idea of someone knowing what I'm thinking is horrifying!

The hint that I don't get with animal experiments is that whilst I can see that they hold help humans but do they really? Our make up is different is it not?
You are saying you never met a bloke who was a rat or a pig? Hello! Ding dong! My name is Dave and I hate animal experiments. :D

Boris! Get wiv it babe. A large part of the intergalactic cosmetic empire prides itself on not testing its products on animals. My imaginary beagle is hairless, wrinkle free and only smokes Marlborough Lights. He is 128 years old and doubles for Joan Collins. Funny that. His name is Colin.

While we are doing something completely different, and sincere nods to dear friends whose parents are not in good health or no longer with us, my mum and dad (78/76 and dad got a few big health probs) just feckin took off to Sri Lanka for a fortnight. Wtf? I spoke to mum and said ooh, aah, Tamil Tigers before I got up to speed on it ( all cool). She did that bloomin mumsy empire thing. 'No problem. If I see them i'll l tell them off and make a cooked breakfast.' Absolutely genuine. 'Mmm Crunchytoast'. My mum is a batty, batty, bat bum from batty land. Like she says though: been there done that. She gives me the T-Shirt. To anybody who does not have this relationship, well give me a cuddle and I will pass it on. Mum does not understand my addiction but she accepts it and will accept my friends.

#88 - 2013 Challenge

Lottie38

Post by Lottie38 » 03 Mar 2013 03:24

Grendel dave I have no idea what you are talking about! :D

Lottie38

Post by Lottie38 » 03 Mar 2013 10:39

My random question. Why is it that loads and loads of girls seem to have these huge tattoos nowadays? Or am I just getting old?

I mean - in my day (!) we had the tramp stamp, and before that the butterfly on the bum etc, all easily hidden as one 'matures'. But now girls (and young girls - early 20's I would say) have these Huge sleeves and back tattoos and on thighs and feet and everywhere!!

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2018
First Sober Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 03 Mar 2013 10:44

When I see them, I often wonder what their tattoos are going to look like when they're old and their arms get bat wings and go all wrinkly :shock:
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond » 03 Mar 2013 10:50

The saying 'bat wings' always makes me chuckle. I'm weird I know.

I've never really got tattoos to be honest, don't get me wrong I can appreciate the art and yes, some can look pretty damn cool. However, it's the whole permanent thing that bothers me. I'm constantly changing, and what I liked or found 'cool' last year usually seems pretty lame a little way into the future.

That said, they don't bother me and I certainly don't judge.. I would love to have some, but I know a few years later i would want shot of them.

I've had a fair few piercings, eyebrow, tongue and nipples but they were easily removed when i got bored of them..

Lottie38

Post by Lottie38 » 03 Mar 2013 11:03

I'm even sadder - I just think how will you get a job with all that clagged on your arms and legs?!

I have my tramp stamp which I don't regret but then I don't have to think about it coz I can't see it! And I never have my back out now no way.

Pierced nipples ?! That's a different thread altogether!

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond » 03 Mar 2013 11:41

As much as we would all like to think otherwise, our appearance does affect how others judge us, especially prospective employers. So getting covered in tats that are above you collar longer than shirt sleeves could affect things..

Luckily my boss never saw my nipples ;)

George

Post by George » 03 Mar 2013 12:39

I had a tattoo done, perhaps sixteen or so years ago. Don't know why but I wanted it so I got it. Then a lot of people said to me that it wouldn't be long before I wanted rid of it. Well, they were wrong. It's fine and I'm happy with it and I don't expect any change there either. Why do people have them done and then want rid of them? That must be a real pain in the backside but it shows two things. Don't get one done unless you are really sure that you want it and don't put it somewhere that's difficult to cover over if you need to in the future, for whatever reason.

Now, pierced nipples, foreskins, wherever - that's another story :o :o :o
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond » 03 Mar 2013 12:44

Who mentioned foreskins? :shock:

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond » 03 Mar 2013 12:45

But your right George, that's exactly why I have never had one, because I know I would later regret it.

I still think tats are cool mind..

hope22

Post by hope22 » 03 Mar 2013 12:56

Lottie38 wrote:My random question. Why is it that loads and loads of girls seem to have these huge tattoos nowadays? Or am I just getting old?

I mean - in my day (!) we had the tramp stamp, and before that the butterfly on the bum etc, all easily hidden as one 'matures'. But now girls (and young girls - early 20's I would say) have these Huge sleeves and back tattoos and on thighs and feet and everywhere!!
:oops: I have a lot Lottie

xx
I never ever want to feel the way I felt on Monday 19th August again !!!!!