Mostly Sober

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Re: Mostly Sober

Post by DannyD »

Exercise just encourages sleep.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Lucy Lamb
Last Drink Date: 15 Jan 2012
First Sober Date: 16 Jan 2012

Post by Lucy Lamb »

Hi Guys!
How are you all doing?
:\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\:
Alcohol is the biggest LIE they ever tell you. I mean, it's big. Bigger than the tooth fairy, bigger than Santa, bigger and scarier than the monster under the bed. L.Lamb. 2012.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Hi Lucy

Finley

Post by Finley »

Hi there Mostly Sober Crew :\:

I've been absent for aaages I know, but wanted to pop in and say hello. Danny, I still love your 'Be Selfish in your Sobriety' line. It is absolutely crucial, as I and I'm sure many others have discovered.

Things are good in Finley-land, certainly as far as not drinking is concerned. I'm averaging around 6 times a year drinking - although 'drinking' for me these days means a glass of wine, a glass of beer. Never more than two. It's no longer usually a conscious effort to not order another. My 'off-switch' kicks in and I can't face another. I cannot believe, when I look back, that I could get through 2 bottles of wine in a night AND get up and go to work. I feel like if I did it now, it would kill me.

I don't want to sound complacent. I know that alcohol could rear it's head in a very ugly way. One of the things I learned via BE, was that the times when I most WANT a drink are the times I really shouldn't have one. I reminded myself of this constantly in the weeks and months of my wife's terminal illness, and following her death. I honestly felt after a couple of years that if I could get through all of that without hitting the bottle, there's nothing that could 'justify' me doing so in the future.

So.....I'm here and Mostly Sober - even 'almost always sober' and it's a good place to be.

Hope you're all OK and doing well xxx
I want to be the best me I can be ...

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

Hi Finley , it’s good to see you and read your post . Hope you may be popping in more often . Take care <:)>

Finley

Post by Finley »

Hi Pickles :\:

Hope all is well with you <:)>

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

A belated 'good to hear from you', Finley, in case you pop in again.
Rachel

Finley

Post by Finley »

:\: Hi Rachel. Lovely to 'see' you x

AJH
Last Drink Date: 29 Apr 2021
First Sober Date: 06 May 2021

Post by AJH »

Hi all on here. After a period of absence (2 years+) I’m reconnecting with this forum, thankfully. I am not mostly sober, I am completely sober because that’s how it’s got to be for me (it’s been a pretty bad 2 years alcohol wise) but I’m posting on here because I can see a few people on this thread that I used to interact with a bit so just want to say hello and send my love to you all. Ally. xx
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Finley - sorry I missed you \:)/ \:)/

Finley

Post by Finley »

Hi Danny :\: lovely to see you! I hope you're OK. I'm very busy at the moment with work etc - but last week and this week have been on Nana duty. My daughter had to start back at work (she works in a school) but 4 y/o granddaughter doesn't start Reception until next week......I tell you, it's far more tiring than being actually at work! Good fun though and Oh My, I definitely wouldn't want to be doing this with a hangover.

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

AJH wrote:
06 Sep 2021 10:50
Hi all on here. After a period of absence (2 years+) I’m reconnecting with this forum, thankfully. I am not mostly sober, I am completely sober because that’s how it’s got to be for me (it’s been a pretty bad 2 years alcohol wise) but I’m posting on here because I can see a few people on this thread that I used to interact with a bit so just want to say hello and send my love to you all. Ally. xx
Hi AJH , welcome back \:)/ . I hope you keep posting:)

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Love being a gran'ma, but they live too far away for baby sitting. And yes. It's exhausting.
Are you still flying arrows Finley?

Sorry AJH. Didn't mean to ignore you

AJH
Last Drink Date: 29 Apr 2021
First Sober Date: 06 May 2021

Post by AJH »

Morning. Thanks Pickles. No worries DannyD.
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

The sun is shining, the garden is overgrown. I'm indoors knitting. Somehow, I appear to be reluctant to go outside. I do have to go to work this evening, so will make myself face the outside world.

I'm sober. Today. I'm trying to walk with a better posture. I find myself slouching more and more. My shoulders ache where I played the organ for a service. The muscles have forgotten how to support themselves for the top manual. And my feet struggled with a straight pedal board.

So. Cautiously optimistic for a September day. And more of them. FB reminds me that I was taking two hot water bottles to bed this time last year.

From the recluse in the house

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Sounds great DD. It's the autumn of my life and I too feel those aches and pains that never seemed to bother me so much in my youth. At least I don't remember them bothering me but that's a completely different issue - ha. I am sober today as well and feeling very good about it on this sunny autumn day here in my neck of the woods. It's wonderful to hear from you and I hope that you are in a good place these days. Take care. Cowboy.
Recovery is giving up one thing for everything. Addiction is giving up everything for one thing.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Hi cowboy. Good to hear from you.

My good place really depends on alcohol. I'm going to try for sober October.

The weather is marginally better. I'm trying to be positive about life, and trying to like myself a little. This means I have to stop sitting around, but do things that make me pleased with myself.

Step one, harvest festival in church this morning. Step two, maybe stay on and practise. Step three, if it's dry enough, cut the grass. This always makes the garden look better. Step four, be happy with whatever I have achieved in the day.

And stay mostly sober!

Finley

Post by Finley »

Morning Mostly Soberites

Sounds like a plan Danny! I'm working (at home) all day today. Not possible to do much else anyway as the London marathon turns my estate into an isolated island until late afternoon.

Hope it's a happy sober Sunday for all x

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

It's the London marathon today? Well, there's a group of people who won't be queuing up for fuel.

Finley

Post by Finley »

:lol2: Danny :lol2:

As luck would have it, my tank was less than a quarter full last weekend. Again as luck would have it, my clients at the moment are not ones within easy reach by public transport :roll: I got up at 5.30am last Sunday and filled up my car with unleaded. Even at that time, I had to queue behind half a dozen cars. By the time I'd been served, the queue was stretching as far as the eye could see. With careful use, my little tankful will last about another three weeks - hopefully by that time, supplies will have eased a bit....