Mostly Sober

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Re: Mostly Sober

Post by DannyD »

I live next door to a petrol station. But have been known to run out on my (sloping) drive. The fuel had all flowed away from the important bits.

Didn't do much of what I wanted yesterday, but have walked the dog (in drizzle), and am now practising the organ (cold church). Ticking feel-good boxes.
be selfish in your sobriety.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I've been to a theatre. An hour's drive away. A gentle evening.
Meanwhile I cleaned the car dashboard this afternoon. It was too wet to get out the vacuum.
I'm pleased with myself that I have stayed mostly sober today, and done stuff.
Feel-good box definitely, tick.

Finley

Post by Finley »

Sounds like a really positive day Danny ;)? I'm madly busy with work so not doing much else - no swimming and not even any arrows fired. I do walk every morning even though dog-less these days. I'm off to Yorkshire next week to see my mum. Haven't seen her in person since Covid began. When I get back my work will involve less travelling. I'm much better with a Mostly Sober life. I still keep track on an App. 270 sober days out of 277 this year so far. I'm happy with that :)
I want to be the best me I can be ...

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

270/277 is brilliant Finley. Well done you. I still can't stop when I start, so the trial is not to start.

You sound as though you're in a good place these days. I have a dog and still don't manage a walk every day. And it's good that work is still busy. I bet your mum will be pleased to see you. I missed seeing my girls during lockdowns.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

During July I was taken into hospital with breathing problems. Turned out to be chronic asthma. However, whilst in, the other patients in the ward (and boy, were they a very grouchy bunch), complained bitterly that I stopped breathing when I was asleep, so made huge noises when I started breathing again, snored loud enough to wake the Kraken (actually, they didn't use that reference. Probably never heard of the Kraken), and made me worried about sleeping because I was upsetting everyone so much. I was ultimately referred to the sleep clinic.

Yesterday I finally got to the clinic to collect a pulse oximetry to wear overnight. This records some sort of sleep pattern I guess. I'm getting up just now from a dreadful night's sleep. I hope tonight's will be better.

BUT (not that I was going to), we were told we mustn't drink alcohol while on the test. Somehow I was suddenly desperate for a drink, simply because I was told not to.

So bad with discipline.

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

So sorry to hear you were in hospital Danny, hope they've got the asthma and sleeping problems under control, hope you get a diagnosis/treatment for it? <:)> I know what you mean sobriety/cutting down has to be your own choice, I'm terrible that way with smoking especially.

Hi Finley, I'm seriously impressed with the 270 days, kudos \:)/ Hope it goes well with your mum, it must be heart-breaking not being able to see loved ones for such a long time. <:)>

I'm just back on BE after 6 months or so, tried the 7 day thread and only managed 6 :D So I thought I'd try a little moderation. Was at a wake yesterday (hence the wine witch came calling) but a much better day today (my waistline may disagree). :oops:

Hope I've not missed anyone, onwards and upwards anyway. ;)?

R x
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Hi Bluebottle

Sometimes I find being on the challenges is counter productive, simply because I'm surrounded by others who are all in the same boat. Yes it's day by day, but I don't always need to be reminded of the problem.

Since the beginning of October I've been trying to fill me days. So. Today I'm going to a silk painting day. Should be very relaxing, so I'm looking forward to it. Apparently a light lunch will be provided - so I might stop somewhere en route, to get some sandwiches and fruit. I could do with some down time.

I have recently been working a lot with some one for whom I have a lot of time. She's very good for me : stop worrying about how others do their jobs, as long as you do yours as well as you can; laugh and smile at the customers witticisms even though you've heard them a thousand times. It doesn't cost anything; life is not a competition. I'm in my 60s and every day is a school day. Still learning about my behaviour.

Finley

Post by Finley »

Morning all. Danny, Silk painting sounds wonderful. I could do with a relaxing pastime, as well as archery - which I've not been to for ages. Thing is, I loved shooting and went to a new club which had more flexible hours and was easier to get to. It was a great set-up and as I had a bit of money at the time, I paid an annual membership, which meant I could store my bow at the club and not have to schlep it with me on public transport or by walking, every time I wanted to shoot. I became very unwell in 2018 - I think a culmination of me looking after my wife through her terminal illness, and then looking after my daughter who had a very, very difficult pregnancy. Anyway - the upshot was, I ended up in hospital for 10 days and then off work for a further six weeks. My club membership lapsed. Fair enough. However, they then charged me £50 per month for storing my bow. I know it was in the 'terms and conditions' - ie, people not on annual membership could pay £50 a month for bow storage. It did upset me though. The club knew how ill I was - and I had nobody who could go and collect my bow for me. I didn't renew my annual membership and reverted to 'pay as you shoot' - taking my bow home and carrying it with me each time. It sort of left a nasty taste, to think that they were so unsympathetic. Possibly petty on my part, but there we are.

I'm currently skint and dealing with free debt advice, so spending on archery isn't really at the top of my priorities. Happy to say though, I'm not even slightly tempted to drink, to take the edge off it all. Bluebottle - hop back on the wagon after the wake - I can well understand why that would provoke the Wine Witch. Difficult things to attend and difficult when surrounded by other people who are drinking. Funnily enough, although I'm really looking forward to seeing my mum, it is also likely to be a trigger for drinking - but at least I can anticipate it which hopefully will reduce the risk, or at least curb the worst excesses.

Have to work all day today and tomorrow to get a report done before I set off for Yorkshire, so better get on with it. Hope it's a good day for all xx

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I didn't find the silk painting as restful as I wanted. Probably because I am feeling stressed and couldn't switch it off. The teacher is retiring in December, so won't be running any more courses.

I was due to go to a sewing course on Sunday, but bunked off. Absolutely zilch energy.

Work has been finishing very late (2315 last night), which means sleeping late in the morning. This is leaving me all out of sorts, creating a different stress. I've given myself a down day today.

Finley you have to make time for you. I hope your catch up with your mum was good.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I'm guessing no one has been mostly sober for about a month now, as no one has posted here. I've bought a hypnotherapy tape. It cost much the same as a bottle of spirits. One should play it every evening while relaxing. I keep falling asleep.

Ethan1989

Post by Ethan1989 »

DannyD wrote:
03 Nov 2021 09:06
I'm guessing no one has been mostly sober for about a month now, as no one has posted here. I've bought a hypnotherapy tape. It cost much the same as a bottle of spirits. One should play it every evening while relaxing. I keep falling asleep.
It's has been 17th day of my Sobriety I hope I Will continue my Steak and never relapse It.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Well done. Over2 weeks is brilliant. Keep on.

Finley

Post by Finley »

Morning all from a very chilly, windy and sleet-y London. I hope everyone is staying safe from the storm. Just thought I'd check in. It's the run-up to Christmas which can be a really difficult time for folks to stay sober. The only drink I had last Christmas was one VERY small glass of cherry brandy (like, a thimbleful) on Christmas Eve. I didn't know it until the day after Boxing Day, but I had Covid, as did my daughter. There was nothing further from my mind than alcohol. Since then, I've had 327 fully alcohol-free days, and I still find it incredible that I have zero alcohol cravings, ever. If I add up every drink I've had since 1st January 2021, they amount to about a third of the amount I would previously have drunk in a week.

The thing is though, I had to go completely sober for a year before I could even think about a single drop of alcohol. My body - and maybe more importantly, my brain, had to re-set. The joys of freedom from the tyranny of the bottle are so worth pursuing. It's hard work to start with, but gets much easier, until the default is not wanting a drink, rather than battling against thoughts of drinking.

I'm meeting my sisters-in-law for a pre-Christmas lunch today. I may have a glass of wine, or I may not. I will decide when I get there. What I am sure of though, is that I won't be stumbling home or into a taxi, unfit to walk home under my own steam. Those days are long gone.

Stay safe everyone and much love xx

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Hi Finlay. I love your take it or leave it attitude. I still shouldn't start, as I find it so difficult to stop. We've got a staff Christmas junket this Sunday, and I've paid to go. Not sure I will. I could bus there and taxi home, or I could drive and not drink (which I'd much rather. My behaviour is unforgivable when I start). Make a decision on Sunday about whether I'll go or not.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Morning Danny, just popping in to say hi. You are up up very early!

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I was wide awake most of the night, which means I was tired most of the day. However I've got to the end of the day now, so ready for an all night sleep (I hope).

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

That sounds grim Danny. Sleep deprivation is the pits, hope you sleep well tonight 😴💤

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

And it's another day. Woken up feeling tired. I'm obviously getting insufficient quality sleep.

I think I'm a passive/aggressive. Not sure how to change that. It's a side of me that I don't like.

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

Hi DannyD
Re passive/aggressive. I’d recommend an excellent book called: ‘I’m OK, you’re OK’ by Thomas A Harris. I found it very accessible and insightful 👍
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom”
Viktor E. Frankl.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Ah, but the passive/aggressive in me suggests that you think you're ok, but I know you're not.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look for it.