Mostly Sober

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Sue C

Re: Mostly Sober

Post by Sue C »

Sorry to hear that Danny. What would help? Walking, baking, more crafty things (sewing, knitting etc - not sneaky things!), cinema, crosswords, reading, visit a National Trust place or other 'attraction'? I'm making a list of things to do to keep me on the straight and narrow. Otherwise life can feel flat and I got back to vino.

Sue x

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Thanks Sue. I'm a bit SAD and try to remember vitamin D every day. I make plans - eat healthier, but to be honest the dog eats better than me. Exercise more. Again, the dog runs, chasing a ball. I stand still and throw with one of those you-don't-need-to-bend-down-to-pick-up throwey thing. Garden? Well. The weather is the best excuse for that. Once I've got past day 7 I might feel a little more confident. Early days still
be selfish in your sobriety.

Sue C

Post by Sue C »

Early days here too Danny. When I'm on my own, I either eat super healthily or complete crap. Sunday dinner was a pot noodle with crisps. Not just any pot noodle mind. One of those 'posh' Naked Noodles things that's full of healthy stuff hahahah.
Sue x

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Just got in from work: cheese on biscuits and fizzy water. All Bad Stuff.

Tomorrow is another day, luckily, because the weather today has become frightening

Sue C

Post by Sue C »

Hope the weather is better for you today Danny. We've not had it too bad up north. In fact, looking out of the window, the trees are completely still.
Cheese and biscuits is my fave go-to when I'm starving - nothing wrong with that (ish).

Sue x

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Haha. I think you're my Northern self Sue!!

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

The sun has been shining today. It's not warm, (don't be silly), but it's good for the soul.

I spent the morning with a very talented friend, making cards under her instructions. And discussing the possibility of going to China.

So now I'm saving money. Best reason ever, not to drink. Saving money for something that would be far more enjoyable than getting of your face on an easily forgotten binge session.

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

Fantastic Danny, China sounds amazing ;)? , I'm planning on a holiday with my smoking and drinking money, nothing planned at the moment but I'll probably just go myself.

14/1 so far this year

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

14/1 is good. Well done

So, being sober is not just about alcohol, but trying to get a happy life balance, including diet and exercise. My dog has made a silent criticism of my diet choice. Last night I had a bar of chocolate and threw the wrapper in the bin. This morning I almost sprinted down to the doctor to make a day appointment. I returned to find the wrapper shredded all around the floor. 'Eat better' he glared

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Just sliding gratefully into day 8. And I'm beginning to feel a bit more hopeful about the future. However, my ex (we have a very cautious relationship), has asked if he can have a bed for the next 4 nights (he's not homeless - lives 200
Miles away, and has work locally). His last visit ended 10 days ago (see any correlation here? I do). I don't think I'm strong enough to cope with him and stay AF. It will hurt him if I say no. In past years, he hurt me immensely. This is not payback time (as he once commentated), as I'm not in a position to ever be as destructive to him, as he was to me.
I'm thinking out loud. Dear BE, you're simply a sounding board. I want to say no - for my own mental well being. If I say no, do I have to give him a reason? Simply "it's not convenient at the moment". Would that do? He asked very late last night, for today, tomorrow - until Tuesday. And simply for a bed. I feel churlish saying no ,,, and mean. But I think it's best for me.

martha

Post by martha »

Say nio, Danny. You don't have to give a reason.
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Sue C

Post by Sue C »

Totally agree with Martha. Say no Danny. Your mental health and well-being must come first. No reason. You’ve written that he’s made belittling comments to you recently. Don’t invite that into your home.
You’re on 8 days - this is all about YOU!

Sue x

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Thank you <:)> <:)> <:)> love BE. You're so supportive.

Sue C

Post by Sue C »

And night closes once again on another dry day. Although it was a bit of a close one ...

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Well done Sue. As I worked the last hour, I kept teasing myself with the thought of fizz. Luckily some one gave me a lift home, and I have chocolate. Safe now.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Ticking off another day. I have coped by eating junk food all day: ice cream and chocolates mostly. I feel fat, sick and sober

FuzzyDuck
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2013

Post by FuzzyDuck »

Sober is the cool one Danny. Chocolate was gifted to us by the gods for just such a purpose in my view. X
"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." (used to be Bupster's sig - I have appropriated it)

Sue C

Post by Sue C »

Haha nice one FuzzyDuck! I’m going to confess to buying a Lindt advent calendar yesterday cos it was down to £1.50. Days 1-8 went down very well last night and saved me from opening a bottle of Prosecco (still left over from Christmas - wish it wasn’t there).

Sue x

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Morning
I'm giving up on the night nurse. Woken up feeling sluggish, slow and unresponsive. More than caffeine needed.

Chocolate is the answer. If I'd had fizz in the house Sue, I'd have drunk it. Can you give it away? Raffle it at work in aid of Australian wildlife 10p a ticket?

Fuzzy def a gift from the gods, but I ate too much of it yesterday. I have some lovely fresh vegetables too - just too bleugh to do anything with them. Today though. Today I shall shake off the shackles of night nurse, and Get Going. And cook veg. Maybe not for breakfast though

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Duh. Suddenly occurred to me (saw the light in church this morning). These feelings of having a cold. They're probably the 'sort-of-flu' feelings I've had in the past when I stop drinking. Rejoicing then, because they were fairly mild, and it means it's all looking forward now.