Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Personal Goals

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
kath
Last Drink Date: 21 Feb 2015
First Sober Date: 28 Jan 2017

Re: Personal Goals

Post by kath » 28 Jan 2019 09:12

On a bender not in!!! Haha
one day or day one.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 28 Jan 2019 10:04

There’s also NHS Choices one you. You track your AF days but there’s also a site where you put in your alcohol type/strength/cost etc and it brings up your units, savings, calories etc.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 28 Jan 2019 17:36

Well, I'd say it was a weekend of decadence, sleaze and excess but Mrs seismic was ill, so no sleaze. Just decadence and excess. If she's ill that's F1 button for her and dieting/drinking. She only has 2 though.
So I've done Friday Saturday Sunday boozing and no exercise. Scales not good this morning, but Thursday is the weigh in day. Poor eating too, chips Friday, pizza Saturday, :roll:

AF today, should stay off the rest of the week. I am doing field testing Wednesday and Thursday. NOT looking forward to that, looking a bit chilly.
Friday a day off for our new patio door. The lock broke in November. Locksmith couldn't replace. It's old n heavy and glad it's going. Our main entry point to the house. I screwed it shut over Xmas, the rest of the time I rely on noisy dogs and nosy neighbours. Not a high crime area.

Weekend was some shopping, I concluded my foot pain was worn out shoes, so new runners purchased. Two pairs. And tights, t shirt and socks. Online, no actual people interaction.
A bit of a knee niggle too, possible last weekends extra mileage on the bike, possibly position on the turbo bike. Which is irritating.

I don't like those apps, not fun knowing you've drank 1600 cals and then scoffed crap on top. It's the reason why I'm above 18 stone though. 2 stone off, would be good. BMI charts put me at 12 9 for healthy, I was that weight when I was 19. Minimal drinking, gym 3 times a week, walked about 4 miles, minimum, a day. 32" waist. 8-)
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 28 Jan 2019 23:23

Soberfun, any news about your grandson? <:)>

Congratulations on your 28 days Kath, yeah poor sleep has a lot to answer for. <:)> I guess I need to stay sober to get my licence renewed which could be months now. Good luck with the diet, I'm really chuffed, lost 0.4 kg today, easily pleased lol.

Serend, Well done on the 6/1. (::) I've got an app but I'm not that keen on it, it's called Easy Quit.

Seismic, I guess we all need a bit of excess now and again, but that's in the past and you've jumped straight back on so good luck to you. ;)? Hope your new trainers sort out the foot pain, I've got plantar fasciitis, I get pain in my heel if I walk/run too far.

I've had a really good day, parked my car 2 miles from my voluntary work and walked in the sunshine there and back. Normally I'm really buzzing at my work but today I tried the redbush tea, as it's caffeine free, felt much better and I won one of my games of chess. Enjoyed my Criminology class too, my homework is to watch the Ted Bundy programme on Netflix.

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

serend

Post by serend » 29 Jan 2019 09:14

Thanks and also thanks for the app suggestions!
Well done the weight loss Ruby, have you tried lots of calf stretches for the plantar fasciitis? its a painful thing
I am in the process of making a lot of changes in life so keeping goals simple and hopefully more realistic than sudden total abstinence just now in that I want to
a) drastically cut back on the amount I drink
b) have at least 4-5 AF days weekly
Thats it! Have a good tuesday all :)
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

kath

Post by kath » 29 Jan 2019 20:32

Hello
Well me starting a diet is a laugh!!! Eating like it’s Christmas! This is because I’m so tired that I’m hitting f1 button. Gyms not happening either although I should get tomorrow, hopefully.
Sf hope it went well yesterday? I bet you’re really busy with grandkids!
No roll call tonight too tired!
one day or day one.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 29 Jan 2019 22:30

Serend, yeah I need to do my stretches more often. :oops: Good luck with your goals. ;)?

Kath, sorry you're so tired, hope you get a good sleep tonight, tomorrow's another day hope you're feeling more motivated then <:)>

Soberfun, still thinking about you and your grandson. <:)>

Had a good day, went to the gym again!

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

soberfun

Post by soberfun » 29 Jan 2019 23:17

Thank you for your best wishes Goalies. Grandson is doing as well as he can be. His Mum and Dad said Goodbye at 3 yesterday and the surgeon came to see them about 7.30 to say that it was early days but everything had gone as expected. I haven't been able to visit yet, but seen lots of photos. His brother has a bad cough so can't go in. On Sunday when we said goodbye to them his elder brother said he had banged his head on the door and that was why he was crying. It has been scary, but feel more relaxed now that he has passed all tests so far. I am staying with his 2 sisters and brother as his mum and dad are in hospital 24/7.
I have been drinking beer each night, but not too much.
Well done on gym routine Ruby. Getting there is hardest part.
Kath, you have been amazing on your AF challenge.
Serend, I m hoping to do the same 5/2 but not this week.
Poor Mrs Seismic, I hope she is better now.
Good luck to you all.

kath

Post by kath » 30 Jan 2019 13:24

Glad it’s gone as well as expected sf. I hope he continues to improve.
one day or day one.

Cliffe
First Sober Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Cliffe » 30 Jan 2019 16:41

Hello,

I posted on the Cutting Down thread but Caroline is right about it being quiet on there.

I'd originally planned to post on here after I've consolidated my daily unit reduction by two-thirds and ready to start introducing AF days.

During the evenings, instead of three glasses of wine or two bottles of strong real ale, I'll keep to one glass (I've measured out exactly 1.75ml) or one bottle.

On weekend afternoons, instead of having three pints of strong real ale in my local pub on both Saturday and Sunday, I'll go on either Saturday or Sunday and then keep to two pints.

Small steps, I know, but apart from an extra glass on Saturday, I've kept to limits that I set myself for the five days since I started. This includes an evening when my wife was out (and she'll also be back late this evening). Also, my Drinkaware app has changed from the red 'Higher Risk' to the amber 'Increasing Risk'.

I think I do actually have an off-switch and I think I can get down to 14 units and keep to it. If I can't, it'll have to be abstinence.

I was addicted to cannabis in my early to mid 20s. I stopped one day and never went back to it (and never will). Back then, I changed my lifestyle and circle of friends. My social life now is either my local pub or rugby club. Am I right in thinking I need to make similar changes now?

Any advice would be very welcome.
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is: Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern. - William Blake.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 30 Jan 2019 19:02

Back then, I changed my lifestyle and circle of friends. My social life now is either my local pub or rugby club. Am I right in thinking I need to make similar changes now?
I didn't find I needed to make drastic changes - I still see drinking friends and hang out on the local - but I did find that (in time) my life filled up with other stuff which these days is more appealling. Also I think I spent quite a bit of time with some people because it validated my own excessive drinking, as I don't want to do that any more, and drunk people are incredibly tedious, my habits have changed without effort really.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 30 Jan 2019 19:51

Hi Cliffe and welcome.

Good goals. Those weekday ones for me, if I had a bottle of wine, it'd be gone. I'm not sure that the issue is your social life, there's a fair chunk of your drinking midweek at home?

In all honesty I think any health professional or counsellor would be happier with more AF days a week. From an estimate of your current drinking, 40 units a week? (I don't know your definition of 'strong' real ale, I was in a brew pub a while ago with plenty of 6-7-8% on offer)
Possibly better for some two days off rather than the drip feed? For me, absence makes the dope grow stronger (as it said on a pre-printed roach n skins packet back in the day)

For me, one or two is a flirtatious tease when what you really want is a full on romp in the hay. I have no brakes/off switch.
That's not meant to make you feel better, many drinkers might compare themselves to others (oh I'm not fall down drunk/daytime drinker/park bench etc)
You're on this forum having recognised you have an issue with alcohol, so well done.

Do what's right for you. For me it's easier having a night off rather than reducing. I promise myself X units but in reality I've bought enough to get to Y anyways. :roll: We're all different.

serend

Post by serend » 30 Jan 2019 21:36

Hi Everyone,
Kath it must be the weather making us eat!!!!
Hi Cliffe, agree with Seismic on the AF night being easier than reducing but everyone is different.
Sober fun thinking of your grandson, wishing him a speedy recovery. That was sweet the older one pretending he had hurt himself - they will all be worried, its a big thing, but he is on the road to recovery now its over <:)>
Goals not going too well this week, and now OH has just come in and said he is about to start drinking :o I should NOT follow his lead I have pain under ribs, non white eyes and an early start with kids then work
Ruby the stretches as often as possible are definitely the way to go its such a painful condition, also shock therapy can help
Spats thanks I got that app ;)?
Right off to hopefully have a early night..
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

kath

Post by kath » 31 Jan 2019 09:11

Hello everyone
Welcome cliffe. Sounds like you just need to watch yourself a little and set goals which is what you’ve done. Not sure you need to be moving on from your friends.

Sf hope it’s still going ok there for you and your family!

Seismic I agree no point in comparing, my husband used to do that to justify what he was drinking.

I can’t even tell you what I ate yesterday!!! I skived off work because I was so tired and sat on the sofa binge eating!!!

R&t, Spats, sober boots :\:

I feel better today after better sleep last night. And day 31 for me nearly done the month.
one day or day one.

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 31 Jan 2019 14:39

Thanks everyone,

Introducing AF days is definitely part of my plan.

Yes, only 20% of my drinking is when I'm out. I got into the habit of going to my local pub on weekend afternoons so I could have more. I like the me-time.
I like the sport on the telly. I like my local real ale (5.1% - and what I drink at home is similar). But most of all I like being able to have more. I never had more than three pints so that I could have more when I got home. I was going to write 'I like the people' but I realise that this is probably because they also drink too much and validate my habit.

You're right that my drinking at home is my main issue.

My weekly units crept up from 50 to 60 and then over 70 last week. Which was when my wife brilliantly raised the subject and I committed (to her and myself) to cutting down.

I had a small victory when I got home yesterday evening, an hour and a half before my wife. I kept myself busy. I didn't pour my glass until she got home and was in the kitchen with me (and then I immediately plunged the vacuum stopper).
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is: Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern. - William Blake.

kath

Post by kath » 31 Jan 2019 17:10

Serend!!! So sorry to of missed you off earlier.

Cliffe 70 units is what I hit before I joined here. Sounds like you’ll find it quite easy when you set your mind to it. A little trick I’ve found is if I want to stop drinking eating something takes away the wanting for more.
one day or day one.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 31 Jan 2019 20:53

Well done Cliffe. I forgot to mention in my last post that I used to do 'wifes out tuesday'. She used to be in a choir. I could claim I was drinking 4 cans of lager, but 'stealthily' consume a bottle of wine while she was out. Stealthy extras. My take on Slimming World's 'healthy extras'

I too can do one glass of wine with dinner. Lunchtime one with lunch is an all day session.

That's the trick isn't it? Keeping yourself busy. And also extending the time to start. However, leave it too late and you might just get through more, into the early hours, with the knock on into next day,,,,

Seems like your comment of sport on the telly is an associative thing? I got to 20-25 units daily, many things became associative, drinking wise. Sometimes excuse to go to the garage for stealthy extras.
Polishing shoes
Sharpening knives
Motorcycle work/cleaning
Bicycle work/cleaning
Or,,,,,
Walking dogs (via off license and allotment)
The allotment, I still do a lot there, quite like a Sunday afternoon working there and finishing with a beer.
That, accomplishment thing.
Like I get sometimes having had some AF days with exercising days.

Tomorrow is a day off. Meant to have new patio door installed. Current weather conditions,,,, :roll:

The local school have elected to shut, due to the bus companies electing to not run. This was the place my kids went to, they now go to my wife's school, who haven't said shut yet. Waiting for the morning.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 31 Jan 2019 21:55

Well that third bottle of wine is still here, did think of drinking it today but then I couldn’t be bothered and I have promised it to someone else. However I did go and buy some more cigarettes, I did break up the last 7. Doing everything all at once obviously isn’t working. Going to concentrate on the drinking, or rather not drinking, first and just do my best with the cigs. And no longer with SW but again will try to eat as healthily as possible. I did do a load of batch cooking at the weekend so that should keep me going. I’m going to a Pilates class now and as it’s not far I can walk there, safer than in the car in this weather. Trying little steps now instead of everything at once. Mostly sober this month so perhaps I’ll try for sober February.

Kath you did brilliantly staying sober for January. At the end of the day it’s how we feel in ourselves, as long as we’re not totally wrecked all the time. <:)>

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 01 Feb 2019 11:14

Well, it's been seven days since I committed to cutting down by two-thirds and, apart from an extra glass on Saturday night, I've kept to limits I've set myself. I haven't had a hint of a hangover. I haven't had to drink loads of water before going to bed and then have to get up in the middle of the night. The main thing I haven't had, though, is guilt.

Ah, yes, Seismic, the stealthy extras. Smuggling it in, hiding it, guzzling it, smuggling the empties out. And all the time, the fear of the hurt that this can cause. Whatever happens, I'm not doing that again.

Yes, I've made a strong association with rugby and drink, either at the match or on the telly. We only have terrestrial telly at home so 'ah, the rugby's on Sky at the pub' was a great excuse to go to my local. (Of course, I found other excuses as well.)

And then the Six Nations starts tonight. I can't remember the last match I watched without a drink but I need to be tested. I also can't remember the last time a bottle of wine lasted four days but that happened this week.

It's a short walk to my local pub but a drive to my local rugby club so I keep to one pint before the match. I know I shouldn't really drink anything when I'm driving later but I do at least keep below the legal limit.

Most things I've read and seen have suggested that controlled/moderate drinking is very difficult and that abstinence may indeed be easier in a number of ways. Or that it's just setting yourself up for a failure and the sooner you accept that the choice is 'all or nothing', the sooner you start improving your life.

I completely get the fact that it takes the edge off anxiety only for the anxiety to come back stronger when it wears off. And that it makes you less able to deal effectively with the things that cause you anxiety.

I do believe, though, that I do have an off-switch, like when I'm driving. I used to stop at three pints at my local. My third one didn't say to me, like Mrs Doyle, 'ah, go on, ah, you will.' I set my off-switch too high but I've re-set it now. Thanks for the help on here. It's very much appreciated.

soberfun

Post by soberfun » 02 Feb 2019 10:57

Grandson recovering well. New start. Day one.
Hi Cliffe, well done on only drinking one glass from the bottle. I couldn't manage that. You are doing well cutting down.
Kath (::) congratulations on achieving dry January. Brilliant.
Sorry you are in such pain Ruby. Hope the stretches make some improvement for you.
Serend, really difficult for you when your OH is drinking in front of you. Hope you made it.
Seismic, this dope is hoping to get stronger :lol:
Spats, you did well leaving the bottle of wine. Luckily none in the house.
Have a sober fun weekend Goalies