Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Personal Goals

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Cliffe
First Sober Date: 04 Feb 2019

Re: Personal Goals

Post by Cliffe » 06 Feb 2019 07:54

Hi Goalies (good on yer, Soberfun - I've nicked your greeting),

Today's the start of my third AF-day and I feel worse than yesterday with insomnia and lethargy.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if they're withdrawal symptoms or simply general bleurgh from a stressful week so far. I'm still not drinking today.
Every time I see him put the bottle to his mouth he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he's shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs don't know him. - Ken Kesey.

soberfun

Post by soberfun » 06 Feb 2019 08:13

You are doing well Cliffe.
Kath, that itching must be horrendous. Hope someone can help you.
Seismic, sorry but the thought of you and that work shy guy stuck in a shipping container together made me laugh.
Serend, keeping mind occupied is really helpful. Well done.
Hi Ruby, hope you are doing well.

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 06 Feb 2019 10:48

I know it's impossible to say how withdrawal affects each individual but am I right in thinking that generally the initial symptoms start subsiding after 72-96 hours?

After a week of cutting back, I had 3 units on Saturday and 2.4 on Sunday. I finished that single glass at 7pm on Sunday so it'll be 72 hours this evening. I'm counting hours like I'm counting units! No way am I giving in but I really need to function today and tomorrow and I'm currently not.

On another note, my Drinkaware app now has me at the green 'low risk' category.
Every time I see him put the bottle to his mouth he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he's shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs don't know him. - Ken Kesey.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 06 Feb 2019 19:26

Ahhhh, Drinkaware. I'm red.
I did one survey once which said what country you were as a drinker. The result said 'oh dear, no country drinks like you but the closest is Bulgaria with the highest per head per capita unit consumption'. Nice.

Nanny State is ace. I'm quite a fan of Brew Dog for everything else though, Mr President IPA is 9% :? . They do a periodic Born to Die (like a mayfly). 500ml heavy hopped 8.5% loop juice.

SF, we need to swap out units we are testing periodically, I spent some time out in the field just walking or standing and waiting, just to be on my own. He was a bit softer away from office but still a bit arrogant. Still me doing all the leg work, I'm overweight and BMI 34 but sometimes I think fat is an attitude and he's got it.

Cliffe, both symptoms seem about right, insomnia and lethargy. I often end up feeling tired early evening but wired at 11pm. Some exercise might help both?
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 06 Feb 2019 20:57

Yup, Seismic, that's part of my trouble. I really do like the quality beers, especially the strong, dark ones - it's not just about getting hammered. Today, however, was a bottle of St Peter's Without Gold so that's AF-day no. 3.

I got through today with withdrawal symptoms. They peaked at about 11am when I posted earlier. I know that others have had them far worse but they're a real wake-up call for me. I like to think I've caught this nonsense just in time. I wasn't drinking as much as others, i.e. it was rare for me to finish a bottle of wine. I still like to think I can settle into controlled/mindful/moderate drinking. But these withdrawal symptoms have shown me how deep I'm in. And I'm giving moderate drinking one more go after these 28-AF days. If it doesn't work, it can only then be abstaining. I'm not going through cycles of this, especially now that I know about kindling.

In hindsight, I should have tapered. I cut down for 10 days, had an AF-day and then decided that if I was going to do the 28-AF days that I'd read about, as I'd already done one day, I might as well carry on and get it done.

I'm desperate to start feeling better tomorrow. When I do, though, my understanding is that's the point when the cravings take centre stage? I should at least feel up to some gentle exercise then.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 06 Feb 2019 23:09

Hi Goalies, too late to do a roll call, but I'd like to wish you'all a good sober day tomorrow.

41/3/300

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

soberfun

Post by soberfun » 07 Feb 2019 08:15

Thanks Ruby. I hope so too as I caved in supermarket and bought 2 mini wines yesterday . I think that s about 5 units. I didn't have a reason apart from satisfying a craving.
Well done Cliffe on day 3.
Seismic , you might like him better when you are in the office after 2 days together.
Kath hope you are managing some sleep.
Good luck Goalies

serend

Post by serend » 07 Feb 2019 08:25

Morning everyone, thanks for support :) Hope everyone doing well. Cliffe, doing great, you will pass the worst of it soon.
Week has got better, I am refusing for it to be otherwise!
AF day yesterday so thats 9/18 for this current attempt to stop/moderate - a 50% success rate which Im happy with for now . £7 a day going into a tin for each AF day so I now have £63 to spend on something other than alcohol :lol:
Have a good day all x
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 07 Feb 2019 13:24

New shoes, clothes theatre, cinema list is endless ;)? End of the month and it’ll be a weekend away (::)

kath
Last Drink Date: 21 Feb 2015
First Sober Date: 28 Jan 2017

Post by kath » 07 Feb 2019 18:34

Hi
Had first fight with ww today.
Being very uncomfortable all the time is taking it’s tow and I just want to be able to relax!!!! The thought of wine popped into my head and stayed there a while but I decided that wine probably won’t relax me as my skin will still be the same. What it will probably do is disturb my sleep even more, maybe even make me itch more, if that’s possible!! Anyway hopefully I won’t.
one day or day one.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 07 Feb 2019 19:45

Well. He has eased a bit. A bit less arrogant. But still arrogant. And still quite lazy. Very willing to take a backseat. Not sure how he'd do if out there in charge, which he could be. When back at office he is very far removed, little contact. Just grating knowing he has FA to for and never comes to ask, 'need any help'? When he'd be first to ask me for assistance if he was up against it.

Kath, drink will likely dehydrate you and make it worse. My elbow is shite at the mo, often drink and stress related.

Spats, I know it's Serends coins but £63 would not get me a pair of shoes. I now buy Loake (2 pairs ) Herring (1 pair, they look a LOT like Loake) and Oliver Sweeney (one pair just recently retired, 20 years service. Okay okay, a fair few heels n soles at £30 a time but over the years,,,,,good value, 1 pair still going strong)

Though I think ladies shoes are different to mens (how many girls keep em for 20 years?), let's face facts, a black Oxford is a black Oxford. Though for me if its not Goodyear welted it's just not proper (hence the price ^^^^)

Good strategy though Serend. I have written a list of stuff I want with costs next to it. In reality though, drinking 1/2 of the month means most of my monthly money is spent. I'd need to be very dry to justify AF 'treats'

Cliffe, you're doing grand. (::)

serend

Post by serend » 07 Feb 2019 23:47

I could probably buy a few pairs of shoes with my saved coins so far (£70 as of today :lol: ) but haven't decided on the treat yet. Kath hope you're improving x

soberfun

Post by soberfun » 08 Feb 2019 06:52

Good morning Goalies.
Enjoying smug coffee.
Hope you are all enjoying your Friday.

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 08 Feb 2019 08:02

I'll join you for that smug coffee, Soberfun.

It's day 5 and I feel that yesterday was the peak of my withdrawal symptoms.

Day 5 will be like days 1-4: AF.

Thanks everyone for your support.

serend

Post by serend » 08 Feb 2019 08:11

Morning everyone! This site is an actual godsend. I'm on a 3/1 so far this week and aiming for a 5/2 (is that the right way round?) for this week. Have a good day everyone x

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 09 Feb 2019 03:42

Enjoy your smug coffees sober and cliffe, 5/2 sounds like a good plan serend, Kath hope you get something for your rash, <:)> how's it going on the 100 days?

43/3/300

Ruby xx

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 09 Feb 2019 21:06

Parkrun accomplished. Despite Friday night drinkies. Woke up doing the scores but when I got to the fridge in the morning, one can un drunk. Score, 16.
In many people's viewpoints, going running after that is silly. I've nudged closer to my pre Xmas PB. 3rd best time ever. I sometimes wonder if I've trained myself to use booze calories better?

Slight plan for a ride tomorrow. There is a flakey pastry pie going on as well for dinner, with a fair bit of allotment veg (still doing well), parsnip, cabbage, carrot, leek, Jerusalem artichoke. I have a LOT of Swiss chard, wifey is not convinced/persuaded.

Serend, we generally do AF:drink as the ratio on here. You are correct.

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 09 Feb 2019 23:01

Well done on the Park run Seismic, I'm still thinking about mines. :oops:

Good luck all you Goalies, quiet on here today? ;)?

44/3/300

Ruby xx

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 10 Feb 2019 09:06

Seismic, well done on the park run.

It's now day 7 and I feel more-or-less over the physical withdrawal symptoms.

My wife and I are going out this morning. This afternoon, like yesterday, instead of going to my rugby club or pub, I'll stay in and watch the 6 Nations with AF-beer, and stick with it in the evening.

Of my 6 AF-days so far, my wife has had a single drink on 3 of the evenings with our meal. Which is similar to the level I'm aiming for after I've done my 28-days. It's important to me that she carries on as normal.

I'll be fine when I next go to the rugby club as I only had 1 pint there anyway (driving). But I think I need to avoid my local pub for now. On reflection, there's little else there other than my favourite ale, middle-aged men who drink too much (like me) and the ability to drink more as it's only a short walk away.

I'm also getting my 'me-time' at home at the moment so I'm not missing that.

I hope we all have a g'day.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 » 10 Feb 2019 22:35

All sounds good Cliffe, removing some associations.
My wife generally has 1 or 2. Sometimes 3 but she regrets that. It's sometimes go-dependency. She might want a drink but I'm thinking AF, so we both drink. I'm drinking so she takes a couple, if I know that'll happen I buy extra. Slippery slope and downward spiral.
My associations are deep rooted. I did some plotting first thing, came back for lunch, short 30 minutes turbo training, then back to the plot again, with some beer,,,,that Sunday thing.

She didn't cook the cabbage nor J artichoke. Hmph.