Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Book Club

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Mark.

Re: The Book Club

Post by Mark. » 27 Jul 2020 11:00

Just entering the final third of Julian Barnes' fairly short The Noise of Time. It's very good - a very thoughtful and thought-provoking portrait of Shostakovich's uneasy (to say the least) relationship with Stalin and The Powers That Be Were.

To my mind, it slumped about halfway in. Reading it suddenly gave me the impression of being on a long train journey, listening to the stranger opposite recount all the best bits from the biography of Shostakovich he'd just read. It was interesting and eruditely told, but it only made me want to read that biography for myself, rather than continue with the stranger's regurgitated account.

So, I can't agree with the reviewers who say it's Barnes' masterpiece. However, it does pick up again after that, and - if you like Shostakovich and/or Barnes - it's well worth a go ;)?
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Mark.

Re: The Book Club

Post by Mark. » 28 Jul 2020 12:19

...Talking of books, some of these made me chuckle. I think Misunderstood White Man By a Lake might be my favourite :D

https://m.facebook.com/pg/writershq/pho ... 5624894023
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.