Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Book Club

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
thetodolist

Re: Good reads, poems and quotes

Post by thetodolist » 26 Apr 2011 23:43

Brief thoughts for the day....

If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. - Arthur C. Clarke

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Night all,

Amy x :)
Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak, sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.

okay
Last Drink Date: 27 Apr 2011

Post by okay » 27 Apr 2011 22:09

STARTING OUT

every journey begins with the first step
but what if..
the first step has to navigate deserts
leap mountains
wrench open the worst of you

what if the first step involves
fights with demons that only you are evil enough to create
diving into the ocean and pulling out
the wreck of what once was

that massive first step
you are heros who make it.

(tc)

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 28 Apr 2011 09:41

Great poem, Okay!

That line, "fights with demons that only you are evil enough to create" is going to stay with me all day, in a good way! Please keep them coming (the poems, that is - not the demons...!)

Amy - I love that Confucius quotation!

Best wishes,
Mark
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Enfin

Post by Enfin » 28 Apr 2011 14:32

Hi guys, just butting in, to express,
hope that's alright, sorry.
I'm biplolar and really manic at the
moment, gotta get this out :

I feel the kiss of wisdom on my cheek
I wait for the fall at my feet
I feel my back begin to turn
Ready to forget all I've learned

There is no fear, only escape
From these lives we must fake
From whom we run there's no mistake
It's just a matter of what you can take

So how far are you from here
And how much do you really care
Between this place and there
Is there a dream going nowhere

Do you stand on the bridge
And wonder if you've really lived
Have all the things that you did
Add up to the lies that you hid

A frightening truth, it is just so
Complex ties, these weaves we sow
All but pawns in row
Fear is all that we know
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. ( Nelson Mandela )

cracker
Last Drink Date: 23 Jun 2011

Post by cracker » 28 Apr 2011 14:45

Hi Enfin,

Just wanted to say I enjoy your posts and poems... hope you are feeling better.

Cracker x

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 30 Apr 2011 00:02

thanks jarvis, :D problem is I can only write when I'm drunk .. hmm, I should add " at the moment" .
when I reach my seven days I am going to write a happy one, maybe a lymeric or something.

sad poem enfin, hope you are ok.
Insert inspirational quote here....

Enfin

Post by Enfin » 30 Apr 2011 14:18

Hi,

Tj-okay, I can usually only write after drinking, but it's good being bipolar sometimes !

I'm having a real meltdown at the moment as it's the anniversary of my mothers death who died at the exact age I am now, and left behind kids the same age (me) that I have now. I dug out this poem I wrote back then ( I was only 12), and I'm sure you can all understand that I don't want my kids to ever feel like this, and it's a good reminder that I don't want to leave the legacy of alcoholism go further than me. Hope you don't mind me indulging, just feel like writing my first poems out tonight to somebody out there...

" For me, time itself does not progress
It revolves around the centre of pain
Of which my life is a prisoner
For me, there is only one season
The season of sorrow
A time of ceaseless tears.
The sun and the moon seem to have
been taken from me.
My life is a dismal grey
I will not know what my life could have been
Or what the future may have held
For I am blind to the world
And only wait for the day I die "

So there in black and white is how I felt when my mother died from alcoholism at the young age of 45, I was 12 when I wrote that.. Shivers up my spine now that I'm 45 too, alcoholic and have 4 kids myself hey. Let not be history repeated ! I have a book of all my poems, which I'm sure my children will treasure one day, just felt the need to share that one tonight, <:)>
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. ( Nelson Mandela )

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 30 Apr 2011 15:06

hi enfin,
your poems are so moving and that last one was quite painful to read, I want to hold that girl in my arms ( do you ever think that? imagine going back and just holding your younger self?). I can see you are suffering a lot right now. Anniverseries of deaths are major to get through because they bring back the grief , and regret and a kind of longing all mixed up with despair and hopelessness, I understand all too well. Deaths of a parent leave a lasting and sometimes quite devestating legacy . I can hear that you don't want to leave that same legacy for your children, that's a massive pressure on you... that message.. " I must not do that to my kids" , and I am guessing that pressure only makes it harder to stop.
My heart goes out to you .
Insert inspirational quote here....

thetodolist

Post by thetodolist » 02 May 2011 23:15

Some quotes for 'TODAY'....

*Don't let yesterday use up too much of today. ~Cherokee Indian Proverb

*No yesterdays are ever wasted for those who give themselves to today. ~Brendan Francis

*Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace. ~Author Unknown

*We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it. ~John Newton

I could do with heeding this one more often;

*Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak, sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.

Kaycee
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2010

Post by Kaycee » 04 May 2011 00:21

Hi ToDoList,Really enjoyed those quotes, very true, thanks :)
Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!

cracker
Last Drink Date: 23 Jun 2011

Post by cracker » 07 May 2011 14:39

Hello all,

just a qoute I would like to leave you with;

Until one is committed. there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back,
always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative, there is one
elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
providence moves, too. Whatever you can do or dream,you can
begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Begin it now.

Thankyou everyone at BE.

Cracker x
Last edited by cracker on 09 May 2011 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

enoughisenough

Post by enoughisenough » 07 May 2011 18:01

Cracker, that is a wonderful quote I am going to print it out and put it on the fridge as I have started on a regime at the same time.

Mx
Yesterday I was clever, I wanted to change the world. Today I am wiser and am changing myself ~ Rumi

LisaSmuts
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by LisaSmuts » 10 May 2011 10:54

Bumble Bee wrote:Hi Linda

Dr. Windy Dryden is a leading rational-emotive cognitive behaviour therapist, and has written over a hundred books, so his work could be a good place to start.

I have three of his books which I've found really helpful, including one called 'Overcoming Your Addictions', which he co-wrote with Dr. Walter Matweychuk. It's written from an REBT / CBT perspective but it's not heavy at all - it's a very easy read and I would definitely recommend it. It struck lots of chords with me.

I see a therapist who deals with REBT / CBT, amongst other areas, and he's helped me to understand the principles of the topic and how to apply them practically, not just in abstinence from alcohol but in other areas of my life. It can be hard to get your head around some of it, and of course some people 'get it' more quickly than others. I don't know if I would've been able to understand all of it through reading alone, but a book on the subject certainly won't be a bad beginning :)

BB
I just want to second this recommendation.

Maggie212

Post by Maggie212 » 10 May 2011 22:53

Hello
I have just read 'beat the booze' which I found really interesting. Not a comfortable read but spurred me on.
Maggie

Edmund0Dantes

Re: The Book Club

Post by Edmund0Dantes » 13 May 2011 09:12

What are people views on Kindles.

Not really considered one (have an issue with DRM) but lots of people seemed to have them in Spain. Also Thought that this thread could do with a bump, so it doesnt get lost in the cull/refresh.

cjs
Last Drink Date: 02 Sep 2011

Post by cjs » 13 May 2011 22:15

Hi.

I've pondered the idea of getting one because I do alot of reading and like the idea of being to download stuff rather than have to order it and wait for it to arrive in the post. I'm very attached to books though, I'm not sure how I'd get on with the non paper variety. And I like to have them all around me on bookshelves, it makes me feel like I'm surrounded by old friends. :oops:
Caroline X

“When a thing is understood, the cure is half accomplished.”
- Anne Shannon Monroe

cjs

Post by cjs » 13 May 2011 22:36

Yes, Yes Unicorn. The flicking through them, smelling them, feeling the pages... I'm glad it's not just me then.

We moved house recently. My OH said.... 'Honey, don't you think you should get rid of some of these books, donate them to the library or something...' I was horrified at the thought! I take clothes to the recycling bin no problem... but books! No way, I keep them forever, they've been my friends through thick and thin and never let me down. How could I part with them! I just don't think I could have that sort of relationship with a kindle! :D
Caroline X

- Anne Shannon Monroe

enoughisenough

Post by enoughisenough » 13 May 2011 22:45

This made me laugh, cos I always remember going for an interviwe in Waterstones about 1989 and they asked me why I wanted the job- I said cos I love the smell of bookshops - didnt get the job, but so get you guys!
Mx
Yesterday I was clever, I wanted to change the world. Today I am wiser and am changing myself ~ Rumi

cjs

Post by cjs » 13 May 2011 23:05

Sitting cross legged on the floor of a second hand book shop with books all around me, flicking through them, fanning the pages, stroking the binding, reading random pages. Heaven! I can spend hours doing that.

I used to do it in the library when I was little. I could never just pick a book and take it home. I had to surround myself with lots of them then just open then randomly and start reading. I could tell just by reading a few lines if I was going to like it.

Wonderful that there are other book lovers on here. So, when we're not talking alcohol we can talk books! (::)
Caroline X

- Anne Shannon Monroe

Neal
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2020

Post by Neal » 13 May 2011 23:43

I love books too - including the whole sensorial tactile expriencing of them.

I love Kindle too. I use it on my iPod, especially reading in bed. It means my BH and I can out the lights and the illuminated screen doesn't keep her from sleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep, I can reach out and have a quiet read; no fumbling for switches, no hardbacks slipping out of their jackets and thumping on the floor, no sudden pupil-searing burst of light.

That's put me in the mood. I think I'll go, get my iPod, and read some 'Fragments of Ancient Poetry' by James MacPherson, in the glow of my Kindle screen light.

Neal
"...all that road going, and all the people dreaming in the immensity of it... and tonight the stars'll be out, and don't you know that God is Pooh Bear?"