Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

So what'ya drink instead?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Blifter

Re: So what'ya drink instead?

Post by Blifter » 20 Apr 2019 23:42

I quite like a few of the Belvoirs, Ruby - i’m glad you found one you like. They are becoming more popular as a brand too so they are popping up in more places which is good 👍

Well worth a go on the Fizzero imo SB, as i said, i liked it a lot more than i expected to which was great.

Back on the Double Dutch Pomegranite & Basil tonight - it really is so weird but i absolutely love it :lol:

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 27 May 2019 17:10

I discovered a small bottle (2 x 125ml glasses) of decent alcohol free red today. It's usually infuriatingly difficult to find those little bottles with anything worth drinking in them. M&S Merlot at £1.70 is something I would recommend. All the heart health benefits of red wine without the alcohol and it doesn't taste like second rate vinegar.
#5 on the 2019 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Pork
Last Drink Date: 05 May 2019

Post by Pork » 27 May 2019 17:17

Diet lemonade.
All I’m allowing myself as am too big.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 27 May 2019 17:33

Eeww ! Never did like the taste of wine, lol. I know lots do though so that looks a good AF choice TC x

Yep, diet coke here, or diet anything ! Can't stop eating sweeties and cake so have to cut back somewhere.
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 27 May 2019 17:40

Thanks for the tip TC, I'll try that
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Pork
Last Drink Date: 05 May 2019

Post by Pork » 27 May 2019 17:42

Just high end vinegar :roll:

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 27 May 2019 17:44

Shadowlad wrote:
27 May 2019 17:33
Eeww ! Never did like the taste of wine, lol.
I never liked the taste of white wine myself either Nicky, but I never bothered because I just knocked it back without it even touching the sides (I wanted to get drunk - pure and simple). Red wine though I did quite like (and it looked so pretty in the glass) ;) I could never knock red wine back with abandon either as it always gave me a stonkingly awful headache so I kind of treated it differently from the word go.

I'm not one for diet drinks (rather have water, but that's not very sociable in company).
#5 on the 2019 Challenge

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ » 27 May 2019 20:56

OOooooohhhh! I couldn't help but post here right now.

Some time ago I was taken (in connection with a recent company travel) to a very trendy, slightly racy asian place in about the most expensive dining district in the capital of where I live -when I first moved here it was all raw and disused wharf buildings with the first frw ristic restaurants being opened, but now it's all huge and high glass buildings on the quayside - and just a few ye-olde fishing winches left for show.

Anyway - I kept true to my AFness. All the rest were delicately sipping a glass or two of wine and so heck, what's the point?
They had this wonderful (and seriously overpriced) stuff called Luscombe's hot ginger beer. It was served as a serious imported luxury product - and it was fantastic with that wonderful green curry and loads of varied starters.

Well - today I discovered the sort-of local (i.e. only one in the town) booze shop actually has a (tiny) shelf of alcohol-free products - and lo and behold - there was that hot ginger beer. At the equivalent of 3.50 GBP for a 320 ml bottle it's pricey - but heck - chuggung booze here is crippling.

Well - there's my AF rant.

(but actually, last year I had a phase of making the stuff myself and I actually think it wasn't bad - so maybe if I just add some lime/lemon and maybe a hint of chili I'll get that kick. nobody else liked my ginger beer anyway, so I might as well go the whole hog. Oh, and maybe I'll become a kombucha snob too, someday :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 28 May 2019 06:57

Like the sound of the ginger beer Luna ;)?
#5 on the 2019 Challenge

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 28 May 2019 07:47

That ginger beer sounds like it has a real kick Luna ;)?

I bet you could definitely make a replica by the sounds of it :)
Topcat wrote:
27 May 2019 17:44
I never liked the taste of white wine myself either Nicky, but I never bothered because I just knocked it back without it even touching the sides (I wanted to get drunk - pure and simple). Red wine though I did quite like (and it looked so pretty in the glass) I could never knock red wine back with abandon either as it always gave me a stonkingly awful headache so I kind of treated it differently from the word go
Yes i can relate to this pattern very much. In my 20's i rather liked a half a lager or beer even, and especially liked the taste of Heineken. Early this year somebody gave me a pack of 0% Heineken which i hadn't seen before. In our local shops it is usually 0% Bavaria or 0% Becks Blue. From my 30's onwards it was spirits all the way because i wanted to get drunk, and quickly too. Taste was irrelevant. AF spirits of any kind would not work for me because of the bad memories associated with it. I think we are lucky today because there is such good choice on the consumer front. It doesn't surprise me that M&S do a quality AF red because all their food and drink is very good quality. And like you say it has the added bonus of heart health benefits.

Its funny really because i drink water all day long, and several cups of coffee and tea. Its usually diet drinks when i am out and about, but sometimes i will ask for water only, when eating out.

I have to be in the mood for a 0% drink which is good i guess. And it lasts far longer than the real deal haha x

Dennis P. Kimbro

Blifter

Post by Blifter » 01 Jun 2019 07:45

Morning all,

Luna - i have posted about Luscombe a few times in the last couple of years i think, they are great. We often eat out for breakfast on Saturdays (not today though ☹️) but if going to our favourite haunt i always have their Hot Ginger beer - it really does pack a punch and it is superb as you found.

They do a whole range of drinks, a cool ginger beer too, but one i really recommend if you see it is their Rasberry Crush which is amazing in Spring/Summer with lots of ice 👍

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Luna_

Post by Luna_ » 03 Jun 2019 19:54

Ah, Blifter,
Thanks <:)>
The hot ginger ale has only now appeared on the (still very exclusive) market here, so it'll be a long time before other variations make it. It's marketed as a viable alternative to alcoholic drinks at restaurants (which it indeed does very well). I remember you raving about some drinks some time ago, so now I "get it" :-)

I'm travelling a lot lately - and mostly travel with only hand luggage (or double my allowance with crates and bags of equipment...). I have a neat trick where I have a small bottle (in one of those approved mini-bottles) of lemon juice. So when I arrive at my hotel, gasping with thirst and ready to die for a large beer - I have a few glasses of lemon-water and re-think. It does help a lot to get past those old trigger situations. Most hotels have jugs of water sitting around, with lemon slices in them - and some will even give you a whole damn lemon!

There are always alternatives - and every one of them beats turning up to meetings in the morning, feeling like s**t and wondering it it shows..

Happy evening, all

;)?

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 05 Jun 2019 21:49

Well, this self confessed creature of habit has now swapped diet coke for soda and lime. I feel reborn ;)?

Dennis P. Kimbro

Luna_

Post by Luna_ » 06 Jun 2019 10:59

Soda (is that fizzy water?) and lime totally rocks, shadow <:)>

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 06 Jun 2019 21:31

Also like dry ginger and soda ;)?

martha

Post by martha » 06 Jun 2019 22:46

Spats wrote:
06 Jun 2019 21:31
Also like dry ginger and soda ;)?
M&S do a really lovely ginger beer.

I'm loving pink lemonade currently 8-)
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 07 Jun 2019 09:22

Must try those Martha ;)? Heard of plastic ice cubes which are recyclable, just use them each time you want ice cubes, just chuck them back in to freezer when you’ve done. From A..a :?

MT Glass

Post by MT Glass » 08 Jun 2019 11:51

Love the old Jamaican Ginger beer quite "hot" and they do a light version as sadly GB is usually very high in sugar.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 10 Jun 2019 15:06

Hello!

The new Canada Dry Lemonade Ginger Ale is just pretty tasty!

I still stand by just plain old fizzy water, maybe with a twist of lemon or lime! The best alcohol substitute that has zero calories that I have ever found! Well, coffee and tea, too, of course!

Going to go back to something I used to fix for my daughter, fizzy grape juice, because grape juice is chock full of good stuff, but also, sadly, lots of sugar!
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.