Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Plan ahead, be aware of dangerous situations

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Re: Plan ahead, be aware of dangerous situations

Post by Shadowlad » 29 Nov 2019 19:11

Yep, totally believe in planning ahead and being aware.

Soooooo. The girl who stated she is very happy being single has got a date tomorrow with a nice chap :? The subject of drinking has come up and he was a initially bit surprised that i won't be bringing the new year in with champagne or anything else alcoholic. I just said that alcohol doesn't agree with me and that i don't drink it anymore. At this stage i would hate to confess to the horrors of my past to 'drive the message home' to him. I need to find another way to get it through. He was good about it but i am worried he may ask further questions and i will end up being too honest ( a fault of mine) and giving him too much information. I don't mind being frank on this forum because we all 'get it' but i don't want him to ever know i was a fall down drunk in the past. Has anyone else had this worry on dates ? xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 30 Nov 2019 00:54

Shadowlad wrote:
29 Nov 2019 19:11

Soooooo. The girl who stated she is very happy being single has got a date tomorrow with a nice chap :? The subject of drinking has come up and he was a initially bit surprised that i won't be bringing the new year in with champagne or anything else alcoholic. I just said that alcohol doesn't agree with me and that i don't drink it anymore. At this stage i would hate to confess to the horrors of my past to 'drive the message home' to him. I need to find another way to get it through. He was good about it but i am worried he may ask further questions and i will end up being too honest ( a fault of mine) and giving him too much information. I don't mind being frank on this forum because we all 'get it' but i don't want him to ever know i was a fall down drunk in the past. Has anyone else had this worry on dates ? xx
Congratulations Shadowlad, hope you have a lovely time. I think it's really brave going on a sober date, so well done, I don't think I could do it. (::) I wouldn't say anything about the drinking in your past until you got to know him better, he may be the man of your dreams or he might turn out to be a limp squid. :mrgreen: I think anybody that judges you probably isn't worth having. Good luck and keep us posted.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 30 Nov 2019 09:51

Shadowlad wrote:
29 Nov 2019 19:11

Awesome Nicky, have a fab time! I wouldn't go into any depth myself, I'd just say I don't drink and leave it at that. If he's pushy that's a) rude and b) a bit alarming, mostly this only happens if people are looking for an enabler. Just keep it cool (you don't have to explain yourself, to him or anyone else, unless you want to) and enjoy it. I have been on a couple of sober dates, and they weren't difficult - sober is who I am now. No business resulted sadly!
Last edited by SoberBoots on 30 Nov 2019 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 30 Nov 2019 10:10

Nicky, I’d agree that this is a private matter. No good can come of opening that can of worms, and, as Sally puts it, sober is who you are now. We are allowed to change and move on :-)

I hope you have a lovely time :-)
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#28 on the 2019 Challenge

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 30 Nov 2019 12:43

Nicky - I so agree with all the above. It is your business and it is up to you what you choose to reveal. Enjoy yourself <:)>
#5 on the 2019 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans » 30 Nov 2019 17:30

I think at this dating stage of a friendship you don’t have to say anything about your past or reasons why you don’t drink. It is quite simple you don’t drink, it doesn’t agree with you and you took a decision a long time ago to not bother. Someone I know decided she wasn’t going to continue dating someone who drank. She felt it might be awkward on occasion. I think that is due to the fact that she likes to overindulge. Anyone who can take it or leave it won’t be bothered about your drinking situation......or that’s how I see it.

Enjoy yourself. Absolutely hold your head high, it’s “cool” not to drink <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 30 Nov 2019 19:30

Hello friends <:)>

Thank you so much for your lovely helpful words Ruby, Sally, Trojan, TC and Leslans, i really appreciate it :)

The date was a complete success we have had a lovely afternoon together and are going to carry on seeing each other :D \:)/

I realise now that i completely blew this up into a problem that was not even there. He never even mentioned alcohol today and did not ask any intrusive questions at all. He ordered coffee at the bar for himself and i had lime and soda. It was so cold it was hot chocolate for the rest of the day.

Last year i did a bit of dating and none of it went anywhere, much like sally said. So i didn't bother for a year, and then this lovely man has come along and.....well.....sought my attention. Just when i resigned myself to a life of singledom too lol. (w)

I managed to read your posts before the meeting, and it all makes perfect sense. I'm not the person i was 7 years ago, and with the help of this forum i feel sure i will never try drinking ever again. He doesn't need to know the ins and outs of my past, it will achieve nothing and Its all gone now. Thank you friends xxx

Dennis P. Kimbro

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 30 Nov 2019 19:36

Shadowlad wrote:
30 Nov 2019 19:30
The date was a complete success we have had a lovely afternoon together and are going to carry on seeing each other :D \:)/
That's lovely to hear, and the man clearly has his head screwed on :D
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#28 on the 2019 Challenge

martha

Post by martha » 30 Nov 2019 19:52

Fantastic news, Shadow! Keep us updated :mrgreen:
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 30 Nov 2019 20:28

Awesome news Shadow \:)/
Completed 2018 challenge

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 30 Nov 2019 21:28

Sounds fab shadow, so happy for you, do we need to buy hats, virtual of course. ;)

Ruby xx

Winkler
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2019

Post by Winkler » 30 Nov 2019 21:37

Are u a bit of a looker shadow? ;) :D
Alcohol is an addictive poison

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 30 Nov 2019 21:39

Ruby&Tilly wrote:
30 Nov 2019 21:28
Sounds fab shadow, so happy for you, do we need to buy hats, virtual of course. ;)

Ruby xx
Or just what my friend once referred to as a fornicator. She meant fascinator... but the context was unfortunate :lol2:
Completed 2018 challenge

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 30 Nov 2019 21:41

SoberBoots wrote:
30 Nov 2019 21:39
Ruby&Tilly wrote:
30 Nov 2019 21:28

Ruby xx
Or just what my friend once referred to as a fornicator. She meant fascinator... but the context was unfortunate :lol2:
I know a few fornicators I could sell you, what the hell, you can have them for free. :lol2:

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 01 Dec 2019 16:13

:D :D :lol2:

You guys are the best. Thanks for the good wishes and humour <:)> <:)>

....and the good advice !

Dennis P. Kimbro