Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

successful cutting down?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Re: successful cutting down?

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 06 Jan 2020 20:57

Thanks for your advice Sally, I do try to stay under a bottle of wine, which I don't consider a binge, :? unfortunately I don't always manage that. I may be wrong but not having hard and fast rules seems to help, ie I don't get those fcuk moments as I can drink as much as I want when I want but I choose not to most of the time. I also try not to drink more than once a week and usually much less often. I mostly drink to be sociable and not to cope with stress and I'm totally out of the habit of drinking at home/out of boredom.

Thanks for your reply the who, it's nice to know that someone else is succeeding with moderation, I certainly have to work at it and my limits are quite a bit higher than yours but 90% of the time I'm happy with my drinking. 2 years ago I had almost 6 months af before I reintroduced and I still feel it's a learning curve. Sorry to hear about your dad but sometimes it takes a wake-up call like you described to make a change. Good luck for the future. Mines was a psychiatrist saying I was daily dependent, which isn't true but he threatened my driver's licence which forced me to address the issue.

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 07 Jan 2020 10:54

didnt really want to be on the earth for most of my drinking career.
That so resonated with me. I really didn't understand what a corrosive effect alcohol can have on your mental health until I'd stopped, knew it was for good (as far as an addict can ever say such a thing), and had been sober for quite a long while. It was affecting me much more than I realised, even in the years when I was on, the surface, moderating fairly successfully. I have to accept that my wellbeing doesn't come naturally to me, for complicated reasons - I will always have to pay it attention. The days when I used to take a drink to "cope" with stress, and an anti-depressant or mood stabiliser on the same day, seem like a madness to me now - what a waste of prescribed medication! My mental health isn't perfect now and there'll always be times when I struggle, but it's a good 80% better than in my heavy drinking days, plus I have the satisfaction of discovering better coping skills and nurturing some growing resilience.

Moira, sounds like you're in a good place at the mo. I know you think about this a lot, review and reflection's so important.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 14 Jan 2020 22:55

I am thanks Sally., I'm back at my volunteering and going to the gym.

Had a hot date for Thursday and what happens, my veneer came off and I can't get a dentist appointment till Monday. Had to cancel, not sure if he's talking to me now. Oh well plenty more fish in the sea. ;)?

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)