The Confession Parlour...

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Re: The Confession Parlour...

Post by DannyD »

Good decision Luna. Saves on cooking. Also, it sounds delicious. Is it a street-food speciality?

I have to confess that I can't be bothered to cook, so have just had a bowl of porridge.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Chineseeyes

Post by Chineseeyes »

My goal is to abstain from alcohol for the rest of my life!
One day at a time I shall abstain and deal with the issue’s that make me want to drink.
30/11/2020 is the day I start an alcohol free life.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Chineseeyes wrote:
29 Nov 2020 21:20
My goal is to abstain from alcohol for the rest of my life!
One day at a time I shall abstain and deal with the issue’s that make me want to drink.
30/11/2020 is the day I start an alcohol free life.
And what an excellent day for it that is! Well done on your choice. Be sure to reach out for support.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I confess. My sweet wife made some Christmas treats today. She burnt browned a few. She said I could eat THOSE ones. I did and a few more - ha. Hope Santa doesn't hear about this.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

:lol: (::)
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

CB :lol:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Well not very happy with myself today. Nothing drastic but I drank alone again yesterday. I had some good sober days in the bag. I know it's wrong for me. But I drank anyways. I can't seem to get over a certain hurdle. Most of time I bat those permission thoughts away but there is always that sneaky one that gets through the defence. Can't explain it - here or to myself. Trying so hard to be accountable to myself but obviously not hard enough. Not sure where to post. Feeling like a fraud for sure coming on here and saying how great I feel when I am not drinking then ignoring all those tools I have available and poisoning my body, mind and soul with a drug that changes everything about me. Not ready to tap out just yet ....
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Jj123

Post by Jj123 »

Hi cowboy
A post of encouragement for you to keep following your dream of sobriety and realise what an amazing soul you are. No words of wisdom but just thanks for all you do for others and encouragement. I still remember one time you lifted me with a positive comment when I really needed it. Not sure if I can do the same but would like to be able to offer words of support
Take care and keep going
JJ
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

I'm behind Jj123 and agree entirely. You're always about, full of encouragement, help and support. Maybe just accept the imperfect you will always slip, but the perfect you will always keep trying? What I'm (very clumsily) trying to suggest is to accept that you are not perfect, and stop beating yourself up CB?
be selfish in your sobriety.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

CB, I agree with Danny and JJ. Stop beating yourself up for being human <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

CB, everyone on here knows the struggle! There's this division in our minds between the rational self which understands things like consquences, and our blind needy emotional brain. If it was straightforward to overcome this conflict addiction wouldn't be a problem. I truly believe everyone can get sober, but I believe it's like opening a safe that has a whole set of keys. You can have found a lot of the keys (and from everything you write I know you have) but still to find some more to complete the job. The important thing is to hang to all the keys you have got, while you continue to look for the others...
A lapse like this does not have to turn into a bout of drinking - it can be just one day. Look at at it, think about what was going on (were you bored, irritated, lonely, hungry etc) learn any lessons, and then move on.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Jj, DD, TC and SB. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and non judgmental support. It's a genuine pleasure of mine to help others in these parts much the same as you all are helping me on this day.
SoberBoots wrote:
30 Apr 2021 08:39
There's this division in our minds between the rational self which understands things like consequences, and our blind needy emotional brain.
SB. This really stuck with me as I suffered through another hangover day. The blind and needy emotional brain. That is exactly what it is like with me sometimes. Those times when rational thinking goes out the window. No thought of consequences. Immediate gratification rather than patience. I am my own worst critic and it's back to the drawing board - except not really. The drawing is almost complete just need those final and most important strokes.

Take care everybody.