Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Over-Confidence / Arrogance / Euphoria

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
gratitude

Re: Over-Confidence / Arrogance / Euphoria

Post by gratitude » 16 Jan 2014 03:07

Well, next month would have been my ten year anniversary from drinking. I am not sure how I got where I am now... which is dabbling very unsuccessfully with drinking. I can try to pin the blame on a few things:
1) My dad's death and dealing with a horrible mother
2) A general feeling that maybe I could handle a small amount since everyone around me does
3) A mysterious desire (alcoholism taking advantage?)
So the outcome of my experiment is that I feel like absolute shit when I drink any alcohol. I don't sleep well, I am beyond depressed. Yet I have that cyclical desire to start all over again.
I need to get back to my "I don't drink" lifestyle. I didn't even have an issue the past years with telling people I don't drink because I can't handle it.
So here I am. I am very glad I found this forum and I am going to get back to basics (and to a meeting if I can't overcome this sickness again). I am upset and bewildered that I am here :(
Grat

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 16 Jan 2014 06:35

Hi Grat
welcome to BE
I haven't caught up with your other posts but have you dropped into the new members thread and said hello?
I am just rushing out to work but I am so glad you found us and found the strength to re-start your sober life.
Please don't be depressed it will of course just be the affects of booze, but try at least for today and think of the very very positive aspects of your sober life.
It is out there just waiting to be drawn back into your clutches!
I think you are going to love BE
Looing forward to "seeing" you around the boards
Sandy

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Post by MissCheese » 16 Jan 2014 07:24

Hi Grat, I too am rushing out to work but just wanted to say welcome go BE <:)>
MissCheese

gratitude

Post by gratitude » 16 Jan 2014 07:28

Thank you both of you!!!! I am focusing on getting through today and getting a good night's sleep and then hoping to meet more of you tomorrow :) This seems like a nice place and it's very welcoming and just what I need to get back on track.
Have great days at work!!!
Grat (Beth)

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 16 Jan 2014 08:22

Hello Beth!

Welcome to the forum from me too. I hope you find it helpful and enjoy it!

Rachel xx
Rachel

gratitude

Post by gratitude » 16 Jan 2014 12:21

Hi Rachel - this is a wonderful place! Thank you for letting me be here with you all!!!!
Off to bed and 24 hours sober....
Good night all!!!
Beth

joholdbrook
Last Drink Date: 07 Dec 2014

Post by joholdbrook » 12 Dec 2014 07:30

byron wrote:Hi Duanne

God Yes - But I dont think anyone really understands how and why we do the things we do. I remember being euphoric when I had my first alcohol counselling session - this is it - wow - fab - no more voddie for me!

In actuall fact I felt so great about the possiblility of not drinking that the first thing I did when I left the session was to buy a drink :? .

also gone three weeks or one or two weeks in the past - and thought - wow - welldone - you did fab - if you can stop that long then you got it beat - I think Ill have a drink to celebrate. Hello everyone I was reading through these posts and this is me when I am that happy I drink Iv seen a doctor who has explained I must retrain my brain when feeling like this ummm yes but how do you do it find something else was the answer

Is it overconfidence though - or just the addiction demanding its fix :?

How have I managed to stop all this time now? Dont know quite honestly. I did have a rock bottom experience last october - but hey - I didnt manage to stop until March . that said I did keep trying - getting to five days was my limit through those months though. I just dont know what happens. I think its the not giving up something - just something that clicks and suddenly the wagon is rolling and bum is superglued to seat. Funny thing is when I did lapse through those early months - I did for the most part (not always)- managed to drink a lot less that I normally would and would invariably go to bed feeling relatively sober. so I think because I managed that I didnt feel defeated - I still felt I was achieving something and I think thats why I was able to keep trying - not get down and give up.

Cheryl posted once a long while ago that it boils down to grit and determination.

Its the nature of the beast I think - it will not let go easily - we have to prise it out bit by bit sometimes.

sorry a bit wolley for a reply.

Julie
xxxx
Je suis prest

joholdbrook
Last Drink Date: 07 Dec 2014

Post by joholdbrook » 12 Dec 2014 07:31

byron wrote:Hi Duanne

God Yes - But I dont think anyone really understands how and why we do the things we do. I remember being euphoric when I had my first alcohol counselling session - this is it - wow - fab - no more voddie for me!

In actuall fact I felt so great about the possiblility of not drinking that the first thing I did when I left the session was to buy a drink :? .

also gone three weeks or one or two weeks in the past - and thought - wow - welldone - you did fab - if you can stop that long then you got it beat - I think Ill have a drink to celebrate. Hello everyone I was reading through these posts and this is me when I am that happy I drink Iv seen a doctor who has explained I must retrain my brain when feeling like this ummm yes but how do you do it find something else was the answer

Is it overconfidence though - or just the addiction demanding its fix :?

How have I managed to stop all this time now? Dont know quite honestly. I did have a rock bottom experience last october - but hey - I didnt manage to stop until March . that said I did keep trying - getting to five days was my limit through those months though. I just dont know what happens. I think its the not giving up something - just something that clicks and suddenly the wagon is rolling and bum is superglued to seat. Funny thing is when I did lapse through those early months - I did for the most part (not always)- managed to drink a lot less that I normally would and would invariably go to bed feeling relatively sober. so I think because I managed that I didnt feel defeated - I still felt I was achieving something and I think thats why I was able to keep trying - not get down and give up.

Cheryl posted once a long while ago that it boils down to grit and determination.

Its the nature of the beast I think - it will not let go easily - we have to prise it out bit by bit sometimes.

sorry a bit wolley for a reply.

Julie
xxxx
Je suis prest

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 12 Apr 2015 21:52

I just thought to 'bump' this .
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .