So what'ya drink instead?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Blifter

Re: So what'ya drink instead?

Post by Blifter »

Morning all,

Luna - i have posted about Luscombe a few times in the last couple of years i think, they are great. We often eat out for breakfast on Saturdays (not today though ☹️) but if going to our favourite haunt i always have their Hot Ginger beer - it really does pack a punch and it is superb as you found.

They do a whole range of drinks, a cool ginger beer too, but one i really recommend if you see it is their Rasberry Crush which is amazing in Spring/Summer with lots of ice 👍

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ »

Ah, Blifter,
Thanks <:)>
The hot ginger ale has only now appeared on the (still very exclusive) market here, so it'll be a long time before other variations make it. It's marketed as a viable alternative to alcoholic drinks at restaurants (which it indeed does very well). I remember you raving about some drinks some time ago, so now I "get it" :-)

I'm travelling a lot lately - and mostly travel with only hand luggage (or double my allowance with crates and bags of equipment...). I have a neat trick where I have a small bottle (in one of those approved mini-bottles) of lemon juice. So when I arrive at my hotel, gasping with thirst and ready to die for a large beer - I have a few glasses of lemon-water and re-think. It does help a lot to get past those old trigger situations. Most hotels have jugs of water sitting around, with lemon slices in them - and some will even give you a whole damn lemon!

There are always alternatives - and every one of them beats turning up to meetings in the morning, feeling like s**t and wondering it it shows..

Happy evening, all

;)?
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Well, this self confessed creature of habit has now swapped diet coke for soda and lime. I feel reborn ;)?
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Soda (is that fizzy water?) and lime totally rocks, shadow <:)>

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Also like dry ginger and soda ;)?

martha

Post by martha »

Spats wrote:
06 Jun 2019 21:31
Also like dry ginger and soda ;)?
M&S do a really lovely ginger beer.

I'm loving pink lemonade currently 8-)
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Must try those Martha ;)? Heard of plastic ice cubes which are recyclable, just use them each time you want ice cubes, just chuck them back in to freezer when you’ve done. From A..a :?

MT Glass

Post by MT Glass »

Love the old Jamaican Ginger beer quite "hot" and they do a light version as sadly GB is usually very high in sugar.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Hello!

The new Canada Dry Lemonade Ginger Ale is just pretty tasty!

I still stand by just plain old fizzy water, maybe with a twist of lemon or lime! The best alcohol substitute that has zero calories that I have ever found! Well, coffee and tea, too, of course!

Going to go back to something I used to fix for my daughter, fizzy grape juice, because grape juice is chock full of good stuff, but also, sadly, lots of sugar!
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Blifter

Post by Blifter »

Might have to look out for that Canada Dry Lemonade Ginger Ale, Deanna - i always loved their standard Ginger Ale as a kid 😀

I was round at some friends last weekend and went for some NA beers, Free Damm in this case. I can’t remember if i have mentioned them before but they are pretty good - a beer/lager cross is the best description i can go for but it is quite a crisp taste. Not bad at all. Needs to be very cold imo.

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

MT Glass

Post by MT Glass »

The key with many AF beers is to have them very cold almost freezing.I have becks blue with ice in pubs as its not normally cold enough.

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Ah yes MT good tip.
Some of my first sober periods were spent guzzling AF beers - but probably lukewarm (I dont like ice cold beer) and so I seriously went off them.

Just had another lovely evening out with an exam committee - and had strong ginger beer on lots of ice. It was absolutely spot on. The rest were sipping small bottled IPAs which just seems pointless to me, so I am happy to be rewiring my brain on that score.

I love coming home knowing I havent done/said anything stupid and conducted myself appropriately. Given lifts home to those on my way and generally feeling fine.

Those 5-10 minute pangs dont mean anything at the end of the day - but the alternative would, that's for sure...

;)?

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

I had the most awful tasting lime and soda in a scruffy little pub my dad took me in yesterday. It tasted like washing up liquid. I need to teach my dear dad some class, i don't usually 'do' scruffy (though friendly) pubs ! (w) :lol:
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Topcat wrote:
27 May 2019 17:10
I discovered a small bottle (2 x 125ml glasses) of decent alcohol free red today. It's usually infuriatingly difficult to find those little bottles with anything worth drinking in them. M&S Merlot at £1.70 is something I would recommend. All the heart health benefits of red wine without the alcohol and it doesn't taste like second rate vinegar.
I haven't been able to find that one Topcat, and it doesn't seem to be online. Have you got one of those mega M&S stores nearby that you got it from?
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Just a regular size M&S SB.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Pork

Post by Pork »

Small glass of morphine.
Sorts me right out 👍😎

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

I tried a non-alcoholic "shrub" with a pub lunch earleir, and rather liked it http://www.nonsuchshrubs.com/

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

SoberBoots wrote:
13 Jul 2019 16:10
I tried a non-alcoholic "shrub" with a pub lunch earleir, and rather liked it http://www.nonsuchshrubs.com/
They look lovely SB, the price would put me off though.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

Ruby&Tilly wrote:
13 Jul 2019 23:10
SoberBoots wrote:
13 Jul 2019 16:10
They look lovely SB, the price would put me off though.
Mine was bought for me, but think it was about £4.00 - favourable, when compared to wine.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

I've tried the new Lindeman's range over the weekend, but a bottle of the red (Cabernet Sauvignon) on Friday, and a bottle of the sparkly today, and both are pretty good. I bought them in Asda.