Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

So what'ya drink instead?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Leo Lebrun
Last Drink Date: 19 Apr 2009

Re: So what'ya drink instead then?

Post by Leo Lebrun » 14 Oct 2008 23:17

Hi all,

I noticed there has been some discussion about cooking with wine.

I believe it's okay to cook with wine - as long as you do cook it.
Boiling alcohol causes it to evaporate into thin air.
So, there will not be any alcohol in the food at all.

If tasting alcohol causes an alcoholic to drink, then forgive me, but surely not tasting it... er ... will not cause them to drink! :?

Anyway, after years on hard drugs and booze, laughing at the concept of herbal teas, and such...
I'm now off to bed with a lovely cup of camomile tea.
And, no, it doesn't taste of hay!
It tastes of honey. No, I do not put honey in it! It tastes of honey anyway.

It is great for sending you to sleep. I find it better than sleeping tablets (which I do not touch these days).
I recommended it to my insomniac mother. She said it wouldn't work, but she'd give it a whirl...
She woke up drenched in it, having fallen asleep while attempting to drink it.

Next time, I will send her a few teabags along with some clearly-written instructions...
"Not for external consumption."

Love to all for a dry night! (groan...)

helen.x
It does not matter who I was.
It's who I am that matters.

Kitty
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2011

Post by Kitty » 22 Oct 2008 13:00

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to tell y'all about a new drink i found at Waitrose. It's called Hib! is made by The Hibiscus Drinks Co and is a cordial that mixed with water can be served hot or cold. At the moment I'm favouring it cold, drunk out of a decadent gold rimmed wine glass - well why the hell not? Anyway, more importantly it's totally alcohol free and delicious and somehow rather grown up :shock:

Kitty x
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

gsv

Post by gsv » 10 Nov 2008 23:02

I found a sort of beer substitute that works if you are in the mood for sinking a pint of something cold, fizzy, amber(ish) and bitter(ish) - Thornycroft Detox Cordial - most healthfood shops, some supermarkets, made up in a pint glass with chilled sparkling water

Kitty

Post by Kitty » 10 Nov 2008 23:09

I'm getting some of that. I saw it in a shop the other day, they do a nettle one too, but the one you're talking about sounds really good.

thanks for that gsv

Kitty x
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

gsv

Post by gsv » 10 Nov 2008 23:23

Haven't seen the nettle one, will look out for it,
Thanks Kitty

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 21 Nov 2008 02:04

I like the spicy veggie juice . . .
and a cup of chamomille with lavender before bed . . . I have run out of my favorite mix of chamomille, lavender and valerian . . that's a nice sleep tonic.
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

Lush

Post by Lush » 31 Dec 2008 15:53

Chamomile tea with vanilla and honey is great for relaxation, I've only just become a fan of it and it really does help me sleep.

For parties and suchlike, ginger and lemongrass fizzy stuff by Bottle Green is gorgeous, as is Schloer fizzy fruit juice.

Susie
xx
"I love the English language, it has a certain je ne sais qoi".

Kitty

Post by Kitty » 31 Dec 2008 16:00

I can highly recommend Thorncroft Cordials mixed with sparkling water. The nettle one mixed with water is the only thing I've found that comes remotely close to filling the gap where white wine once was. The detox one favoured by gsv mixed with fizzy water is an excellent substitute for lager without being an imitation of it.

kitty xx

Bela

Post by Bela » 31 Dec 2008 16:30

I've been quaffing Perrier with Grapefruit.
A bit pricey but got me through the last couple of days.
Whatever works.

teresa

Post by teresa » 31 Dec 2008 18:51

Have just ordered a case of Thorncroft cordials. Find it very hard to find a drink that is not too sweet so heres hoping

chemicalchris

Post by chemicalchris » 01 Jan 2009 10:55

Don't know whether to be proud, or ashamed ... I drank the pub out of alcohol free Becks last night!

Found it helpful as a means of 'fitting in', especially around a lot of people I know, but aren't that close to - it certainly saved a lot of explaining. Wish I could have been more honest with my closest friends, but NYE didn't quite seem the time to break it to them. Soon, I promise ...

Chris
xxx

Lush

Post by Lush » 01 Jan 2009 11:11

Oh I think proud, definitely! It's nobody's business but yours what you drink, and if the alcohol free stuff works for you then go for it. Well done on getting through New Year's Eve without alcohol, isn't it fantastic to be able to gloat at everyone with a hangover today? :lol:

Susie
xx
"I love the English language, it has a certain je ne sais qoi".

Tony
Last Drink Date: 24 Oct 2006

Post by Tony » 01 Jan 2009 11:37

Roses lime cordial and diet lemonade - I love it unfortunately not readily available on public sorties J2O's are nice.

Funny that, the kids love going out with me to pubs/restaurants these days. Gone are the days when they lived in fear of asking for another coke whilst the adults drank 1O pints - I always order double - costs the boozers a fortunate - I love it !!

Tony x
Keep your shield up at ALL times. Keep your promises, reach your small targets.THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK.

European Duvet Diving Champion Nov 2006.
AF 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 & 2015. Woohoo, it's possible folks.

chemicalchris

Post by chemicalchris » 01 Jan 2009 12:59

Thank you, Susie ... it certainly seemed to work well for me,as I stayed dry, and didn't have to have a deep conversation about my problems (I'll save that for here..) and ruin everyone else's night. I left earlier than my friends, as i was beginning to feel a little out of place sober - but the alcohol free beer thing worked so well I even got asked if I would be OK getting myself home! Had to smile inside at that!

Not sure I'd have managed it on the orange juice ... they only had those poxy little bottles that hold about 2 mouthfuls for £2. I bloody hate that. Normally a J2O person - they taste really nice, but they are very sweet, and you couldn't manage more than 3 straight up. I've found a bottle and a pint of water makes it more manageable, so that's now my drink combo of choice.

And yes, a sober NYD is great. i've had 4 productive hours already, and I wouldn't normally be awake yet. :D

Chris
xx

LOL

Post by LOL » 06 Jan 2009 22:04

Somebody on BE recommended Ginger Beer. It has honestly transformed my evenings! Gorgeous.

LOL :D

Bela

Post by Bela » 06 Jan 2009 22:39

Lol, didn't you just post on another thread that it was awful? Did you try a different bradn?
Whatever works.

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster » 10 Jan 2009 09:35

I love ginger beer. I also love ginger tea with honey - in wine glass and sipped slowly is warming and relaxing and I feel pampered.
AF2011 number 10

LOL

Post by LOL » 19 Jan 2009 18:29

Lol, didn't you just post on another thread that it was awful? Did you try a different bradn?
Yep. Sorry for the confusion Bela.

Somerfield's own brand is chronic and I threw it away.

I love the DG brand - my favourite. They've got a diet version which I haven't yet tried. Tesco's own "fiery" version is also good.

Hope this helps.
LOL <:)>

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue » 20 Jan 2009 11:48

Trouble with me is, apart from water, I don't like cold drinks (soft ones that is!!). My consumption of tea and coffee has gone up considerably since I stopped boozing 20 days ago but I am trying out the different teas and really enjoying them.
Sue x

Momma Kitty
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2008

Post by Momma Kitty » 21 Jan 2009 05:38

Hi BE'ers...I do not care for soft drinks, never have even as a child, nor juice...too much sugar, only drink coffee at brekkie and I allergic to herbs so teas don't work either. I tried camomile tea a week or so ago and I enjoyed that but I again found to be me workin' up my asthma so I stopped. It sucks been limited to only 2 litres of water a day but seems that is all this kitty cares for. I might say tho...after my near OD on water at the start there I surely enjoyed the taste of that Pediolite to replace my electorlytes. Yummm...but I don't think it wud be wise to have that all the time. Poo poo me says! Plus it is really expensive but so yummy. I keep watchin for maybe some more ideas. Thanks Momma Kitty =^..^= xo
You may fool the whole world down the pathway of life
And get pats on your back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass. "Dale" Wimbrow Sr.