Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

So what'ya drink instead?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
saran

Re: So what'ya drink instead then?

Post by saran » 16 Feb 2009 03:54

Well, wine and cider are my downfall - I like the fruity taste. So when I'm having something alcohol free when I'm out, I go for a pint of lime soda. It's not too sweet and has some of the 'mouth feel' of cider - fizzy and acidic. Or sometimes a bitter lemon, but that's usually with a meal. I can't manage too many of those. The lime soda is good for joining friends on a night out. Have tried alcohol free ciders, which are OK, but again for me would be more of a meal accompaniment.

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster » 16 Feb 2009 12:31

Lime soda is my favourite drink to have on a hot day - lots of ice and a slice of lime - just wonderful.

These days I mainly drink the other poison, coke :roll: If Im out I like sparkling water. If I want a powerful taste then ginger and honey tea sipped slowly.

Julie
x
AF2011 number 10

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 21 Feb 2009 00:47

a new juicing ritual sounds like just the ticket, Happy . . .
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

FREAKAZOIDIS

Post by FREAKAZOIDIS » 21 Feb 2009 03:35

I've been trying to drink more mineral water as my 'treat'. You still feel good because it has no sugar. I have found over the last few days its easy to turn into a couch potato from fear of going out and having a drink (early dayz) So getting more health focused in general is the way to go. Go the mineral water!~!! :D

hamster

Post by hamster » 21 Feb 2009 12:07

Hi Happy

I have a juicer but never use the darned thing. I used to use it to make carrot ice cream (persian delicacy). I really should drag it out again.

Hi Freakazoid - Can I call you zoid? I love the sparkling mineral waters because they feel more like a treat from normal water. squeeze lime and lemon into them and they are just lovely.

Julie
x
AF2011 number 10

Bela

Post by Bela » 21 Feb 2009 17:18

Happy, you could always try freecyle for a juicer.
I'll bet there are lots in boxes out there.
Whatever works.

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 21 Feb 2009 22:00

i drink um bongo. although ive heard it said that they dont actually drink it in the congo.
Enough time wasted on this.

Aaron.A
Last Drink Date: 02 Jun 2013

Post by Aaron.A » 22 Feb 2009 09:37

I drink green tea with citrus by the gallon, I used to love my coffe but I associate that with being hungover now and all the crappy feelings that went with it.

Soft drinks I have never been a fan of but lately I have enjoyed a glass of homamade lemonade
It's been a while since i could stand on my own two feet again

Step-one

Post by Step-one » 27 Feb 2009 22:39

Sparkling water, I just cannot drink anything sweet, and just about everything non alcoholic is sweet. I evfen like to drink sweet alcoholic drinks when I'm drinking, but they're not the same taste wise at all.

Why is that?
".....she's dying, I'm drinking......" Adam Duritz

hamster

Post by hamster » 28 Feb 2009 07:20

Hi Muriel

Assam tea is a favorite of my Iranian friends. I serve it black with saffron and cubes of crystalised sugar (often with saffron in also) on the side - really delicious.

Julie
AF2011 number 10

February

Post by February » 28 Feb 2009 15:10

Hi Muriel, I love that image you posted of the little guy sipping a cup of tea - plaid tablecloth, saucer and all :) ... so much more inviting than the smoky, dark dungeons that bars often are.
~Nostalgia is a seductive liar. Anonymous
~The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Ghandi

LostInChina

Post by LostInChina » 01 Mar 2009 01:50

Whenever I am not drinking alcohol I consume vast amounts of tea. I mean, I literally drink gallons of it. Have to get up in the night to offload some of it. I drink coffee (2 cups) before mid-day on most days and then it's tea all the way, baby. A Singaporean-Chinese friend told me that while tea does have caffeine, it also has many other things that are good for the human body. Detoxins etc etc. Plus it tastes good.

In the evenings I can sit down, reading for hours drinking endless cups of tea. I knew this woman that used to live here (she was half Chinese, half Mongolian) and she used to put tea in an ice tray. After it was frozen, on hot days she would take one of the tea ice cubes and rub it gently on her face. She told me it was both very cooling during hot weather, but also good for the skin. Another quality of tea, I guess.

If it's good enough for the Chinese and the Indians....

8-)

LostInChina

Post by LostInChina » 01 Mar 2009 03:58

From Wikipedia:

Tea leaves contain more than 700 chemicals, among which the compounds closely related to human health are flavanoides, amino acids, vitamins (C, E and K), caffeine and polysaccharides. Moreover, tea drinking has recently proven to be associated with cell-mediated immune function of the human body. Tea plays an important role in improving beneficial intestinal microflora, as well as providing immunity against intestinal disorders and in protecting cell membranes from oxidative damage. Tea also prevents dental caries due to the presence of fluorine. The role of tea is well established in normalizing blood pressure, lipid depressing activity, prevention of coronary heart diseases and diabetes by reducing the blood-glucose activity. Tea also possesses germicidal and germistatic activities against various gram-positive and gram negative human pathogenic bacteria. Both green and black tea infusions contain a number of antioxidants, mainly catechins that have anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic and anti-tumoric properties.

From BBC:

Tea 'healthier' drink than water
Image of a mug of tea
The researchers recommend people consume three to four cups a day
Drinking three or more cups of tea a day is as good for you as drinking plenty of water and may even have extra health benefits, say researchers.

The work in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition dispels the common belief that tea dehydrates.

Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found.

Experts believe flavonoids are the key ingredient in tea that promote health.

Healthy cuppa

These polyphenol antioxidants are found in many foods and plants, including tea leaves, and have been shown to help prevent cell damage.

Tea replaces fluids and contains antioxidants so its got two things going for it
Lead author Dr Ruxton

Public health nutritionist Dr Carrie Ruxton, and colleagues at Kings College London, looked at published studies on the health effects of tea consumption.

They found clear evidence that drinking three to four cups of tea a day can cut the chances of having a heart attack.

Some studies suggested tea consumption protected against cancer, although this effect was less clear-cut.

Other health benefits seen included protection against tooth plaque and potentially tooth decay, plus bone strengthening.

Dr Ruxton said: "Drinking tea is actually better for you than drinking water. Water is essentially replacing fluid. Tea replaces fluids and contains antioxidants so it's got two things going for it."

Rehydrating

She said it was an urban myth that tea is dehydrating.

"Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid.

"Also, a cup of tea contains fluoride, which is good for the teeth," she added.

There was no evidence that tea consumption was harmful to health. However, research suggests that tea can impair the body's ability to absorb iron from food, meaning people at risk of anaemia should avoid drinking tea around mealtimes.

Tea is not dehydrating. It is a healthy drink
Claire Williamson of the British Nutrition Foundation

Dr Ruxton's team found average tea consumption was just under three cups per day.

She said the increasing popularity of soft drinks meant many people were not drinking as much tea as before.

"Tea drinking is most common in older people, the 40 plus age range. In older people, tea sometimes made up about 70% of fluid intake so it is a really important contributor," she said.

Claire Williamson of the British Nutrition Foundation said: "Studies in the laboratory have shown potential health benefits.

"The evidence in humans is not as strong and more studies need to be done. But there are definite potential health benefits from the polyphenols in terms of reducing the risk of diseases such as heart disease and cancers.

"In terms of fluid intake, we recommend 1.5-2 litres per day and that can include tea. Tea is not dehydrating. It is a healthy drink."

The Tea Council provided funding for the work. Dr Ruxton stressed that the work was independent.

Lets hear it for TEA folks!

It's a health drink. Who knew?

hamster

Post by hamster » 09 Mar 2009 19:15

:lol: :lol: :lol: Way to go Happy :lol: You sound like your having fun there. Let me know when you find a recipie thats gorgeous and I may drag my juicer out of the garage.

Julie
x
AF2011 number 10

Bela

Post by Bela » 10 Mar 2009 10:05

I have "discovered" sassafras tea. Yum. Probably just a phase I am going through but it is sure good, even without sweetner, over ice. It is de-safroled, hmm makes me want to dig up some roots and try the full natured version.
Whatever works.

hamster

Post by hamster » 10 Mar 2009 18:14

happy wrote:for sure julie!

i am thinking this cuke kiwi combo i am eying might be the ticket.

i also need to figure out how to not make a giant mess. :roll:
That one sounds nice. I quiet like the idea of fruit juices but the vegetable combos sort of put me off.

Bela - whats sassafras? I always wondered what sasparilla is to .
AF2011 number 10

hamster

Post by hamster » 10 Mar 2009 18:53

I love dandylion and burdock. Will definately look out for the sasporilla in Tesco - :D
AF2011 number 10

Bela

Post by Bela » 10 Mar 2009 20:04

I just went to restock my sassafras tea (this was a liquid concentrate), but they were out.
So I'll have to wait a couple of weeks or perhaps find on line. Lovely root beer aroma.
There is some debate about the carcingenic properties of safrole, as country folk in the US have been drinking this stuff for several centuries and living full life spans. However, there are some properties that are used in the manufacturer of drugs such as ecstasy.

I need to do more research. Sounds easy to grow so I may try that just for fun.
Whatever works.

Maggie

Post by Maggie » 25 Mar 2009 18:42

happy wrote:all right guys...juicing is going well, but i still drink GALLONS of seltzer.
i much prefer it over plain h2o.
buuut, i hate the waste with all the 1 liter bottles i accumulate.
Happy, I've just realised that your seltzer is carbonated water, or "sparkling water" as the waiters call it over here. I've seen you refer to it before - I thought you had permanent indigestion :shock: There's a product called "alka seltzer" which is a tablet dissolved in water for upset tummies. I thought you were knocking this back good-oh, and was wondering if that was healthy :lol:

Bela

Post by Bela » 26 Mar 2009 11:29

This is an interesting idea, Happy.
I see that one model is called the "Penguin."
Do you suppose that is the one for me?
Have you ordered, are you going to?
Whatever works.