Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

So what'ya drink instead?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Re: So what'ya drink instead then?

Post by Bela » 29 Mar 2009 17:15

Well I sourced non de-safroled sassafras.
It comes with a warning.

pennherb.com
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster » 29 Mar 2009 19:24

What exactly is root beer. The root of what plant?

Maggie I did laugh at the selza - :lol: I remember my Dad telling me what a good cure it was for constipation and allways drank it after a heavy night on the beer.
AF2011 number 10

Bela

Post by Bela » 29 Mar 2009 19:53

Yes, the roots of sassafras . . . not sure of the current source of flavoring.
Sassafras has a lovely (to me) root beer fragrance, although a bag of stuff I ordered is a bit overpowering in smell.
Whatever works.

vlad

Post by vlad » 30 Mar 2009 08:58

Shloer Red Grape - fantastic that stuff. Always hits the spot especially if I'm craving. Funny, because red wine isn't my thing. And I was/am a hard vodka drinker.

It's interesting because I heard grapes are good for alcoholics. Grapes are great too!!!

vlad

Post by vlad » 30 Mar 2009 09:00

Oh and Ame Orange & Grape - that's really nice too. Might get some tonight actually seeing as I'm feeling a little shaky.

Maggie

Post by Maggie » 12 Apr 2009 03:42

Thanks, posters, for the tips on schloer - tried it and like it.

I was at a party yesterday where I was offered a choice of white lemonade or pineapple juice - I improvised by mixing both - was delicious. It's probably on the list of standard non-alcoholic cocktails - but I'd never tried it before. I'm going to keep this new tipple for parties, bring my own pineapple juice in case - that'll give it a nice novelty party feel for me, hopefully.

jdhoney

Post by jdhoney » 22 Apr 2009 19:31

Hi all,
im on my second day of non drinking, been very hard, but this site has been a god send, ill go out tomz and try some of the ideas for drinks that other people have suggested, ive drunk about 9 cans of diet coke today and im all diet coked out, so any ideas gratefully recieved
jacqui

damson

Post by damson » 22 Apr 2009 21:52

hi jaqui, I love the schloer white grape and elderflower, in fact white grape and anything - they often do special things like mango for limited editions. Its lovely, specially if you chill it in the fridge.
And the flavoured fizzy waters that the supermarkets sell - usually 3 for £1 - and they're low calorie if that's an issue.
And I always treat myself to a hot chocolate when I go to bed!
Damson

Diva

Post by Diva » 24 Apr 2009 14:54

Tesco make this flavour in thier range of sparkling waters including some other intersting flavours. 3 for a quid, a lot less pricey than Perrier.
Bela wrote:I've been quaffing Perrier with Grapefruit.
A bit pricey but got me through the last couple of days.

Bela

Post by Bela » 25 Apr 2009 13:26

I am still stuck on sassafras. I have not figured the trick for the roots and ground stuff I bought.
Maybe I need to do an infusion.
But the concetrate is bottles is great, over ice, and then fill the glass with water.
It's been my drink of choice for the last month or two. It's quite flavorful without sweetner, so 0 carbohydrates is an added bonus.
Whatever works.

Blaise
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2009

Post by Blaise » 03 May 2009 11:43

As a 'newbie' this is a really helpful thread, so thanks.

Waitrose do two alcohol-free wines that I find really helpful, because they taste quite decent, and for me my addiction is as much habit and psychological dependency as physical craving (I appreciate that I'm very lucky in that respect). So, the two wine-type things I can recommend are 'Ebony Vale white alcohol-free wine' and 'Chapel Hill de-alcoholised wine' (which is sparkling). At times when I don't want such an 'obvious' substitute I find that a wine glass with just dry ginger ale in hits the spot.

Blaise xx [

dazed

Post by dazed » 08 May 2009 12:33

I like Horlicks, Ovaltine and low cal chocolate drinks- you can get all these in individual sachets if you like and even low fat choc Horlicks etc. Good to settle down with at night and comforting. Not all need milk either.
Like some others here I also dislike sweet drinks, I personally find J20's sickening.
Again, like some others here I like the bitter drinks, ginger beer (you can get fiery ginger beer too) bitter lemon, stuff like that.
I still think alcohol has a unique taste I sometimes want, but find these other drinks OK sometimes. Thanks Blaise for the tip on the good non alcoholic wines in Waitrose. I see they have some non alcoholic 'Scrumpy type?' cider there too.Also to another member for the 'Danelion and Burdock' and another for an exotic type drink (will be re-reading posts).
I used to like that root beer (non alcoholic) but haven't seen it in the UK for ages.

whyme
Last Drink Date: 06 Feb 2010

Post by whyme » 08 May 2009 15:59

Muriel,

You've lost me now "Malt and Codliver Oil" ???????????????????????????????????

Got to hear more about this one !!!!!

Kate X :?

whyme
Last Drink Date: 06 Feb 2010

Post by whyme » 08 May 2009 19:12

Hello Muriel,

Thanks, never heard of it before, will give it a go!!

Take Care

Kate X

Gump
Last Drink Date: 24 Jan 2011

Post by Gump » 10 May 2009 23:55

I filled the fridge with different types of juices, bought some of that pseudo-soup that you add water to, simmer and it's ready in 15 minutes and got myself the biggest tub of icecream I found... It all helped.

Jo
"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can."

"People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it."

dazed

Post by dazed » 12 May 2009 09:53

muriel- at least in the UK you can get low fat sachets of horlicks 40 cals each and you just add water-plain horlicks and chocolate horlicks.Also lots of low fat sachets of Ovaltine,skinny cow cholcolate sachets etc (works out a bit more expensive but at 25p/35p I don't really care if it stops me drinking). Haven't seen them yet in the big jars.

Gump

Post by Gump » 12 May 2009 13:16

It's not really a drink but it melts in your mouth... And it helps me... A huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge portion of icecream after dinner :D
"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can."

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue » 12 May 2009 20:04

A huge dollop of ice-cream in a vanilla milkshake is yummy. I've nicked my daughter's on several occasions :D

Gump

Post by Gump » 12 May 2009 22:01

Hey sue,
I have just finished dinner and I'm going to raid the freezer. I have vanilla and strawberry... Want some? :D

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue » 13 May 2009 14:41

Logged off a bit early last night Gump, missed out on the offer of ice cream. Now thats an offer I rarely refuse :D Well done btw, you're doing really well <:)> <:)>
Sue xx