Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Are you drinking now ?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Re: Are you drinking now ?

Post by Trojan » 02 Jul 2020 19:43

Avocado,

Best to go for damage limitation. Take yourself to bed early if possible, and try to stay hydrated. Take care <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Avocado
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019

Post by Avocado » 02 Jul 2020 19:51

Thank you trojan I really appreciate that

Condor
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2019
First Sober Date: 30 Aug 2019

Post by Condor » 05 Jul 2020 17:50

Hello everyone.
I’m back again after months of up and down and round and round. I felt so much better when I was communicating on here, and I did so well for a while but I’ve been up to no good so often lately I really need your help. I felt sure I wouldn’t go back to drinking but I did and I hate it. I’ve had a few really nasty episodes but mainly I’ve just been limiting myself to a certain amount (far too lenient of course), but I need to stop again. I know there is never a good reason to drink, but I’ve been through some more shit and I gave myself the excuse because of that. I’d love for you to reinforce the reasons I know why I shouldn’t drink, because you are stronger than I feel at the moment. I miss your support. Please help. (w)
Only those who truly love you can see the pain in your eyes, while others see the smile on your face.

Condor
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2019
First Sober Date: 30 Aug 2019

Post by Condor » 05 Jul 2020 17:53

AVOCADO! We were here together before. I’m so happy to know you’re around! I guess we both messed up again but maybe we can inspire and support one another. I’d love that. <:)> <:)> <:)>
Only those who truly love you can see the pain in your eyes, while others see the smile on your face.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 06 Jul 2020 08:55

Hey Condor, don't beat yourself up. Alcohol is the hardest of the addictions to beat, in part because while it's as damaging as any of the others, and we come to know this, all the time society pushes this narrative about what a wonderful relaxing stress busting thing it is, and that it's normal to drink. It's taken guts to face up to this, so welcome back.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Avocado
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019

Post by Avocado » 07 Jul 2020 21:34

Hi condor,

How are you doing? I hope you are OK <:)>

Argh I'm diving deeper into the pit of anxiety, once again writing this down as its just not worth it.

Id love to be a support buddy to you, sounds like we both need one right now <:)>

Avocado

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 30 Jul 2020 13:37

For the past few days - yes. Not going to go into all of the mental and physical feelings induced. What for? Everyone in these parts has gone through this at some point in their journey. For some more than once.

I was going to come on here and say I give up ... or worse not come on here at all. Just continue drinking ....

But I'm not going to do that. I haven't forgotten what sobriety means to me. How it gives me back hope and provides clarity and meaning to my life. It all starts with not drinking now. Not drinking today. And hopefully that one day will come with the undisputed knowledge in my head that I cannot drink. The me self finally convincing the ego self that drinking is not an option.

I think it was Einstein who said you never fail until you stop trying. Or some such.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 30 Jul 2020 16:31

Cowboy wrote:
30 Jul 2020 13:37
I think it was Einstein who said you never fail until you stop trying. Or some such.
Yes, I've seen that quotation too, Cowboy. I don't know if it was Einstein who said it or some other genius. But it definitely speaks the truth.

I'm really sorry to read your post. I hope things haven't been too bad for you? Why is it that you have been drinking, do you think? Isolating the reason sometimes helps us to work on that problem rather than merely trying to 'paint over' it with booze, which, as we know, never works.

I think you're a wise man to have posted, rather than to have given up. You might be drinking now, but you know you feel better when you don't.

Shit sometimes happens. It's how we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and get back on our pygmy pony horse that matters.

Actually, sometimes, the horse (or pony) doesn't matter at all. Here's another quotation I know. I don't know if John Wayne really ever said it, but it has all to do with the choice of drink, Cowboy ;) ;)? <:)> <:)>

Drink your milk!.jpg
Drink your milk!.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 273 times
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 30 Jul 2020 16:55

Cowboy wrote:
...I think it was Einstein who said you never fail until you stop trying.
I think it was Mountainhare :-)

Drink proposes itself as the answer to everything - check-out, celebration or commiseration - but will always just bring us down. I went down that blind trail so many times, looking for that special way of drinking that would have a different ending. That special way of drinking that doesn’t exist :?

I just found a short YouTube piece on relapse prevention by Steven Melemis, that I think is worth a look…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmjjxdDwOIc

It’s a good call to write it down and get it out there. Whatever thoughts and events led to it, haul them into the light, so you can work out exactly how you’ll make a different choice the next time ;)?
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 30 Jul 2020 18:58

Trojan wrote:
30 Jul 2020 16:55
Cowboy wrote:
...I think it was Einstein who said you never fail until you stop trying.
I think it was Mountainhare
;)?
Trojan wrote:
30 Jul 2020 16:55
Drink proposes itself as the answer to everything - check-out, celebration or commiseration - but will always just bring us down. I went down that blind trail so many times, looking for that special way of drinking that would have a different ending. That special way of drinking that doesn’t exist :?

I just found a short YouTube piece on relapse prevention by Steven Melemis, that I think is worth a look…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmjjxdDwOIc

It’s a good call to write it down and get it out there. Whatever thoughts and events led to it, haul them into the light, so you can work out exactly how you’ll make a different choice the next time ;)?
;)? ;)?
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 31 Jul 2020 01:03

You guys rock. Thanks.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 31 Jul 2020 08:56

Hi Cowboy,

really admire you for coming back on here. When I relapsed after a year sober I thought I'd failed completely and just drank for three years! I'm amazed I didn't do more damage, but I certainly made myself very ill and very miserable. But I didn't have BE, where everyone gets it and people don't judge.
AE.jpg
AE.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Last edited by SoberBoots on 31 Jul 2020 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 31 Jul 2020 13:02

Thanks SB. I keep thinking about that Allen Carr analogy. The pitcher plant that the fly keeps getting trapped in. The sticky gooey sweet smelling bait that is - in my case - booze. Just really tired of getting lured back into that trap. By the same bait that I know is poison for me.