Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Triggers: how do you cope with them?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
seismic

Re: Triggers: how do you cope with them?

Post by seismic » 27 Oct 2015 19:28

Yes, half term. I normally like it (I'm a teacher)
Wife went to New York with her school early Thursday morning. Back tomorrow. I'm going for a loooooooong ride.
Just feeling a bit of cabin fever and some return of depression. Depressed, irritated? Have a drink Seismic, make it better/go away.

Anger today, went to a walk spot I don't normally go to on sons suggestion, as I had to take both kids with me (very tempted to leave them at home). One dog gets to a point, turns and runs back to the car in the road. Clearly remembers it's close to a golf course and she doesn't like the banging of golf clubs hitting balls. Rage!

I've calmed down now. No beer, well, AF varieties which are working as a good placebo/dummy
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 28 Oct 2015 16:38

Hi Siesmic dogs are funny things around different sounds that's for sure, horses are weird creatures they can go down busy roads you can take them into battle,but but they could easaly see a bit of chewing gum on the floor and they just freak out ! you sound as if you get angry often there ,is it post alcohol related.That is to say also combined with stress levels.I get days like that often,today as an example was in a supermarket cue so why are some people so fecking slow paying and putting there shopping away ! They were a couple,two of them ! Ithen realised i was drilling my eyes at them,they looked but i wouldn't stop.I then imagined supermarkets should have towers at each end and if people take to Fecking long Marksmen will then take um out POW ! So when i feel angry the tolerance levels go down.
OH Siesmic,
Thanks for the advise regarding the spelling :lol: :lol: I left a reply for Boris,i enjoy his posts.
Take care and hope your getting a better day in there ;)?

seismic

Post by seismic » 28 Oct 2015 22:28

If you liked my 'advise', I also hate people who take 'too' fu€King long in 'queues', putting 'their' shopping away.

I hope 'you're'getting a better day 'too '

This is all tongue in cheek. I'm guessing you're android posting? I am Apple though sometimes I dislike the auto correct. 'Easaly' aggravated.

Sorry, teacher voice (I don't even teach English)
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 30 Oct 2015 12:45

Jamesey wrote: Marksmen will then take um out POW !

:lol: (::) Jamesey, when coping with those sorts of triggers it's best to squeeze and not snatch, get your breathing down and squeeze between heartbeats for more accuracy at range ;)?
Chin up and brew up

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 30 Oct 2015 16:28

siesmic thads jusd great ver.opps sorry i only type like that when i'm pissed ! :oops: Joke over i used to do that on an art forum, my god it was a total car crash.So rule of thumb for me not to do that.One exception was on SOS one time.Touching on the supermarket thing again. Like you say some people being slow putting there crap in the bag,i have this bloody compulsion to jump the queue run up to the slow people packing say get the Feck out the way sling there stuff in there bags drag them to the door and sling them and there shopping out of the shop.Get them to be collected by some friends of mine in a white van taken to a tattoo parlor,have "i will not be slow in shopping queues " tattooed on there foreheads backwards so they can read it the right way round when looking at there reflection in shop windows as they contemplate going in.And stood by the way in the shop doorway blocking people who wish to go in .But that's another story :evil:
NEWT that was brilliant i'm so laughing here :lol: :lol: :lol: love it.
Well you guys its the weekend and that's a big trigger for us isn't it.will try and knuckle down,and good luck to you and all here <:)> ;)?

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 04 Dec 2016 16:45

Bump for anyone struggling x
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

blan kout

Post by blan kout » 15 May 2017 22:44

when i feel like shit i got no desire to drink unless i'm trapped in a stressful situation but when i'm at home feeling awful i tell myself " never again , that's it, no more booze." my trigger is feeling better . when that starts to happen i start thinking " hmm maybe i can have a drink but this time it'll be just one evening's worth of standard lager like normal people do and i'll eat super and go to bed and wake up with normal hangover just like when i was 18"
trouble is i've said that several times only to initiate a 40 hour bender with about 2 hours kip whenever and wherever i happen to fall unconscious and zero food
well 8 days now and them thoughts are crossing my mind ( something to do with a fairy i believe you refer to it as) so i'm looking for some cautionary horror tales to remind me not fall into that way of thinking.
btw couldn't find a quote facility on this forum but i did like the post above about slow queuers . i have politely nudged someone before and told them " c'mon get in there, your next"

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 16 May 2017 07:10

Blan kout wrote:btw couldn't find a quote facility on this forum

Top right of the posts is an icon that looks like a 66, hit that and the entire post will be quoted, if you want to just quote a bit of someone's post you can find instructions here, it's roughly on the bottom of the page.

I can give you decades worth of horror stories but pushing past the shitty times does have a happy ending, word of advice though, as far as alcohol is concerned we are not and never will be normal people, one of the most challenging parts of this is accepting the fact and moving on, quitting the lash opens more doors than it closes, simple fact ;)?

Ps, remember, it's withdrawal that's stressing you out not the situation, hang in there ;)
Chin up and brew up

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 16 May 2017 10:02

Maybe a punch bag , Blan kout, a dart board , do you like going for walks, one member here likes going to do archery . People take up meditation, yoga , even martial arts .

Yes alcohol is a temptation to block things out and I have been tempted. Coming home yesterday and knowing my OH had two vodkas didn't help either. But I does make you feel worse if you drink and your health matters !

Keeping here and posting your thoughts will help. . I hope you do .
Last edited by pickles on 08 Sep 2017 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 16 May 2017 10:34

Pickles I'm so sorry about your mother. She has no maternal streak at all, has she? I think you've been a brilliant daughter to stay in touch as you do. And I wouldn't blame you at all, if you changed your phone number and ignored her. <:)>
be selfish in your sobriety.

pickles

Post by pickles » 16 May 2017 12:44

Last edited by pickles on 31 Jul 2017 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 17 May 2017 07:11

Pickles is she ever nice to you? Could you record her ranting on the phone, and just play it back to her? I would be mortified if my children felt like you do, and would try anything to 'win' them back. Don't let her think that you're going to be her carer. She sounds as though she doesn't deserve anything from you.

Keep your family safe and as healthy as possible. <:)>

pickles

Post by pickles » 17 May 2017 08:42

Last edited by pickles on 31 Jul 2017 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 17 May 2017 08:52

Pickles <:)> <:)>
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 17 May 2017 08:57

<:)> From me too Pickles <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 17 May 2017 09:16

<:)> <:)> <:)> And me.
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

pickles

Post by pickles » 19 May 2017 07:45

Thank you TC ,Jjjj ,L4L .
Last edited by pickles on 31 Jul 2017 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 19 May 2017 08:05

Pickles you're caught between a rock and a deep sea. I wonder if your OH has seen how much damage she does to both the 'girls' in his life, and is weary of picking up the pieces. You realise that your mother will bad mouth you if you don't go, but you won't hear this if you're never going to see her again. It's such a difficult decision, but I think you are going to have to be selfish about your own family and their health. Look after YOU. <:)>

pickles

Post by pickles » 19 May 2017 10:05

Thank you ,Danny <:)> .
Last edited by pickles on 31 Jul 2017 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Vonne

Post by Vonne » 19 May 2017 20:45

Hi everyone, I just need to have a rant about triggers.... I get and relate to the hungry, angry lonley, tired (HALT) triggers and make a conscious effort to deal with them, but I found a new one for me... Happy and excited! This week has been great, it's been productive and enjoyable in work, I have felt great, I have spent an absolute fortune (purely on treats for myself), my house is stocked with treats and food, I have a few things on the horizon I am really looking forward to and I'm not working tomorrow....And the voice (which hasn't spoken in a while ;) ) said "wouldn't a cold glass of white wine be lovely now" .....No!!!! Why?!! Firstly, one would not be enough, a bottle would make me feel grotty and hungover, there are no positives!! I have absolutely no intention of drinking today, but it's just annoying that my brain would even entertain for a second spoiling things.... Ok, rant over, can of coke and tv guide open.... and breathe :lol: have a good evening everyone :\: