Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Triggers: how do you cope with them?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2030
First Sober Date: 0- 0-2030

Re: Triggers: how do you cope with them?

Post by DannyD » 19 May 2017 22:23

That's the Reward trigger. Don't let it trip you up. You're doing so well (::) (::)
be selfish in your sobriety.

Vonne

Post by Vonne » 19 May 2017 22:42

DannyD wrote:That's the Reward trigger. Don't let it trip you up. You're doing so well (::) (::)
Thanks Danny, now I have a name for this cunning trigger, I will be prepared to squash it immediately when it rears its head again :D

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 20 May 2017 08:30

Well done, Vonne! Danny's right about it being the Reward Trigger. In some ways, I think I find this hardest trigger of all to avoid - if you're happy and you know it, having a drink seems like such a good idea, doesn't it?

But, as you said, one drink invariably leads to another and the "happy" drink always leads to an unhappy hangover.

Well done for spotting it and dealing with it ;)? (::)
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Vonne

Post by Vonne » 20 May 2017 12:06

Jjjj of Old wrote:Well done, Vonne! Danny's right about it being the Reward Trigger. In some ways, I think I find this hardest trigger of all to avoid - if you're happy and you know it, having a drink seems like such a good idea, doesn't it?

But, as you said, one drink invariably leads to another and the "happy" drink always leads to an unhappy hangover.

Well done for spotting it and dealing with it ;)? (::)
Thanks Jjjj, very true, it was just annoying me, I was asking myself "can you not just be content?!!" I will need to be extra mindful of this trigger, it seems to come with an extra dose of "sure what's the harm?" :lol2:

AJH

Post by AJH » 22 May 2017 12:32

Feeling happy and wanting a continuation or enhancement of that feeling is I think a trigger for me as well as feeling frustrated or exasperated or unhappy and worried and wanting to put that away and not feel those things. I haven't worked out the solution to avoiding the trigger or over powering it yet.
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

Jonny777

Post by Jonny777 » 25 May 2017 10:36

Yes, I know the happiness trigger only too well.

Sunny afternoon; what better way of spending it than sitting in the garden with a cold beer.

The biggest problem is that it has become a routine habit, and that is difficult to remove. Then, one beer leads to six and before I know it I wake up at 1a.m. with the rest of the day just a black hole.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 25 May 2017 13:37

Yes the current warm weather must be a big trigger for many. Certainly it was for me when i was battling with the drink problem. Living in a holiday town was another trigger, i was sooo envious of everyone from young couples sat outside wine bars to the addicts on the prom with their shared 'carry outs'. You know you have a problem when you are trying not to drink and are jealous of the homeless person with a can of Strongbow ! :?

The best way around it for me was to hydrate regularly with a can of diet coke or slush puppies and to always have a treat like an ice cream or a cream tea. The sunny garden was also another big trigger, the countless times i passed out on a sunny afternoon only to awaken staring at the moon. Once i made the decision to ride the cravings it was just a case of gritting teeth, finding a nice cold soft drink and remembering that one day i may be free thinking of alcohol 24/7.

Best wishes to everybody,

Nicky xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 25 May 2017 14:42

Every time I see a homeless person Nicky I'm jealous of the fact that they don't have to pay council tax :?

With time they just go, or at least they should if a persons recovery is being worked on in a positive way, if not then deep down inside a person will know what needs addressing and these things should not be neglected, or you are wasting your opportunity of comfortable, full blown abstinence. Remember rash newt quitting that job that was adding insult to injury? Remember the daft slimy thing moving out and living alone to get the job done? All scary stuff at the time but had to be done or I would have risked the chance of living in denial wishing I could drink to blot out the stress of the crappy job and the heartache of that crumbling relationship (incidentally we moved back in together after two and a half years, nice place too).

We are alcoholics, we have only two choices, be a drunk one or a sober one, the first choice leads you to misery eventually, the other leads you out of it, eventually.

Remember, a trigger isn't something that makes another event happen, you are!
Chin up and brew up

Newt

Post by Newt » 25 May 2017 15:47

Thanks Sue but I tend to disagree, wisdom to me is knowing that a tomato is a fruit but not putting it in a fruit salad ;)
Chin up and brew up

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 25 May 2017 15:55

Naughty little newt wrote:Thanks Sue but I tend to disagree, wisdom to me is knowing that a tomato is a fruit but not putting it in a fruit salad ;)
Picking up what you're putting down (cowboy quote)
Like Cheese that "grates"
Ain't necessarily annoying (w)
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Sueisback

Post by Sueisback » 25 May 2017 16:00

Nice with a bit of cream actually ()o

Newt

Post by Newt » 25 May 2017 16:02

How can you think of food at a time like this :cry:
Chin up and brew up

Newt

Post by Newt » 25 May 2017 16:15

:lol:
Chin up and brew up

Sueisback

Post by Sueisback » 25 May 2017 16:23

Stop making me laugh newtie babe's, I'm pairing socks,its a serious task my daughter has set me....dribbling here with my tongue out....

Newt

Post by Newt » 25 May 2017 16:37

Sorry, careful not to get the left and right socks mixed up ;)?
Chin up and brew up

Sueisback

Post by Sueisback » 25 May 2017 16:51

Oh no! Don't tell me that! Struggling with all these black socks as it is!

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 27 May 2017 19:35

Naughty little newt wrote: With time they just go, or at least they should if a persons recovery is being worked on in a positive way, if not then deep down inside a person will know what needs addressing and these things should not be neglected, or you are wasting your opportunity of comfortable, full blown abstinence. Remember rash newt quitting that job that was adding insult to injury? Remember the daft slimy thing moving out and living alone to get the job done? All scary stuff at the time but had to be done or I would have risked the chance of living in denial wishing I could drink to blot out the stress of the crappy job and the heartache of that crumbling relationship (incidentally we moved back in together after two and a half years, nice place too).

We are alcoholics, we have only two choices, be a drunk one or a sober one, the first choice leads you to misery eventually, the other leads you out of it, eventually.

Remember, a trigger isn't something that makes another event happen, you are!
Hi Newts, only just had chance to reply to this. Great post and i'm really happy to read that things are working out so well for you and that you have moved to a nice place with your lovely OH ;)? That's great stuff ! Also very true words there, especially the last sentence xx

Love nic, your old green mate lol x
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Newt

Post by Newt » 28 May 2017 09:49

Hello Nicky <:)> It all worked out in the end I suppose, although I haven't quite found that job to settle in yet, but I blame that on my high standards :roll: But I am working, got a really nice home environment and I'm happy, you can't get any fairer than that ;)?

Living alone was one very important part of me getting "fixed", I won back the trust in myself, I could have gotten up to all sorts of mischief behind closed doors if I wanted to but I didn't because I didn't want to, this made me like and respect myself, which was a thing I hadn't done in years, living alone also gave me the space to grieve, get over my loss, my dear alcohol.

My litmus test was six months away from all things alcohol related, let go of the apron strings and get on with life, no talking about it, no thinking about it, not remembering how awful it was, just getting on with some good old fashioned normality and the test results were good ;)?

There's one thing I'm sure of though, this place and all it's members added a certain sort of magic to the equation, I personally think it's relaxed, down to earth attitude facilitates self help and empowerment for those who are ready to leave alcohol behind them, which makes the word forbidden obsolete and allows freedom of choice to take control.

I had to come back here though Nicky because there are not many forums on the internet that will tolerate me :lol:

Give me a cuddle <:)>
Chin up and brew up