Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

how much did you drink......

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Fig

Re: how much did you drink......

Post by Fig » 03 Oct 2013 20:43

Cheers ZK,

Just looking it up now,never heard of it before and was one of the reasons i found this board,to educate myself and be aware of all the facts.

That is some scary reading.I think im dealing with a lot of the same things right now.I suppose theres many in the same boat.Feeling terrible today all day.Curiously dont feel like a drink though.I havent felt like a drink since my last one so thats got to be a good thing.Keep it positive and all that!

martint235
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2019

Post by martint235 » 20 Oct 2013 11:43

Rarely touch spirits now, occasionally I'd take a hip flask on an overnight cycle ride. 20 years ago it'd be a bottle of spirits on top of beer down the pub.

I then switched to wine. The worst day was a 5 bottle binge but a normal Saturday would be down the pub for 4-5 hours and then 2-3 bottles of wine. My missus used to say I was "retard" at the weekends.

So this year I stopped drinking wine so much. I would still drink 12 cans of kronenbourg in an evening, more if I was at home during the day.

These aren't every day totals as I cycle a lot and work also gets in the way. Last week was leave from work so they are averages for Saturday - Wednesday. I guess it shows promise as abv has dropped over the years but it's time to stop. As I said in my intro post, I don't have a stop button, if I fancy a drink I'll buy 12 at least and then drink them. Hence it's time to give it up completely.
Whenever you feel yourself being pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: "Not my circus, Not my monkeys"

Bert
Last Drink Date: 05 Aug 2013

Post by Bert » 28 Nov 2013 08:48

At home I used to drink a bottle of red and four cheeky cans of Budweiser, but more beers if I started earlier in the evening. Down the boozer I would drink as many pints of Guinness as I possibly could plus a few shots of whiskey on top. Whether at home or down the pub this was pretty much my standard drinking amount for years. Occasionally, I would drink more, ie a couple of bottles of wine in one sitting, but not often. I was mostly an evening drinker, but it was slowly but surely slipping into daytime drinking on weekends. (I still had to hold down a half decent job so daytime drinking was not an option for me.) Any excuse to visit the pub ('had to see a man about a dog' type of reasons) or snaffle an early glass at home (cooking was always a good one) would be used.

What really got me drinking more were other people, particularly girlfriends and mates. My consumption increased considerably if I was around folk who, like me, drank heavily. Easily led, me :D
He knows his onions

Koos
Last Drink Date: 15 Apr 2014

Post by Koos » 21 Mar 2014 20:36

I think this must be the only place where the answer to how many units do you drink a week must be honest.
I have read the entire thread I have been on 100 units for about 10 years. The past months this increased to 150 units per week after suddenly finding myself living alone and working from home. Much easier to start drinking earlier in the day then.
What concerned me on day one of this seven day challenge was . What is the risk of acute withdrawal if I go cold turkey . Would it not be better to cut down over a period of time as is advised. all people are different. On previous times that I was AF for a few days there was difficulty with sleep and a mind preoccupation with how long am I going to last and how great will the next drink be when the fast is over. not much else.
This time it is day four on the seven day challenge been on the site a lot which I think is good , No negative AF thoughts. Finally I understand I am an alcoholic there is No just one drink. For 90 % of the population a drink may be OK I am not part of that 90 % and never can be

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 21 Mar 2014 22:40

Koos that is a big load of alcohol and I would advise caution. I did about 150 units a week and I am a bloke and we unfairly have a much better tolerance for it. There are no rules about this, we are all different but certainly if you hallucinate then drink again until you can get medical help. The safest way to stop drinking is to reduce. Even the benzo's that I had to use carry risks but I just could not do cutting down. Drop it by ten percent a day and you will be dry in the middle of the week after next. A long time? Why risk such a short time against the rest of your life? Or do what I had to. Bloody scary is facing up to the old doc for sure but I could be dead right now.

Edit: Yet, you are on day four? Well done and I don't know how you have done this but so very well done. Well, I do know but just wondered about your concerns. The risks I talked about come in the first three days so it sounds like you are likely clear but keep an eye on it please.

Koos
Last Drink Date: 15 Apr 2014

Post by Koos » 28 Mar 2014 21:17

Hi jaxom5
Thank you for the advice and reply. Got to day four and had a blip.. Due to the EAF not physical craving, now an hour away from day seven . Physical withdrawal other than insomnia the first few days has been minimal.
This is my first real attempt at being AF and accepting that I am an alcoholic got lucky or the kindling effect has not kicked in which I suspect it will after a series of being AF and relapses.
I note your advice about the 10 % daily cut back should there be a relapse. This last week has been good I have had a taste of being AF
Thanks again
Koos

Darragh

Post by Darragh » 30 Mar 2014 09:43

Hi this a really good idea when I go out it has to be early like in the pub at 12 I would be a pig in shit then any thing to much after would nearly be 2 late the one thing I never do tho is drink at home funny that I have to be out any way I would have prop have 9 or 10 pints then on to vodka and red bull shit knows how many and if I stay up most of the night I would be in the pub very early next day and do day number 2 ;)

Rip Van Winkle
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2013

Post by Rip Van Winkle » 30 Mar 2014 16:25

Thinking about it in hindsight - my drinking fluctuated over the decades, but my relationship with it, from my first drink, was never a healthy one. I never was able to have that one drink, never. I did have periods of abstinence - pregnancies and breastfeeding were two notable ones where I gave up for a significant period and there would be months here and there. I also had periods when I really drank to excess. Lived in a small village at one point, and was always in the local pub, stopping in on the way home from work and not leaving till closing time. Another time I went out on a Saturday lunchtime to get some bleach or polish or something from the village shop as I planned to clean my house .... staggered out the pub hours later absolutely pissed out of my brains and having made a complete and utter fool of myself. Thankfully that was a long time ago and back before I had my kids.

As the years passed it was a sort of on and off relationship but it was always there. If I went out socially and was restricted in terms of how much I could drink, I'd always buy a bottle on the way home to carry on. If I bought in a bottle of wine to drink at home, I'd always be trekking back out the offy in all weathers - walking or cycling as I'd be over the limit to drive, to get another. It was never one glass. Or two glasses. Once I started it always ended up being a skinful.

At Christmas, I bought myself a big bottle of sherry (because I told myself it made me feel Christmassy) the idea being to have a glass on Christmas Eve, a glass while cooking the dinner, a glass with a slice of Christmas cake - but of course as soon as I got the bottle home I drank it all in one sitting.

I had no 'stop' switch when it came to alcohol. Units wise It's difficult to calculate as I was a binge drinker and the gaps between binges would vary. A binge would usually comprise a couple of bottles of wine - but that would be drunk at home, on my own and the gaps were definitely getting closer last year, really building up from Summer onwards to the point that I stopped.

Rip
x

Alco-Pop

Post by Alco-Pop » 03 Apr 2014 22:04

If a bottle of wine has c.9 units in it, then I would be taking around 100 units a week. ie five times as much as I should.

Most times, for a long time, I would have a bottle of wine and four cans of Old Speckled Hen or some other real ale. This would leave me feeling pretty shit the next day, waking up with a very dry mouth.

But you know, when I had one drink, I would just drink until I finally thought that was enough - basically a large amount. Just have one drink was enough to keep me drinking all night long. All day long, whatever.

At a meal the other week, a bottle of sherry was opened - it was demolished in no time. No question of leaving any over.

Anyway, I'm stopped four days now. I know it's not much, but it's a start.

What a w***er I've been.
No.31.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 04 Apr 2014 08:08

Alco-Pop wrote:Anyway, I'm stopped four days now. I know it's not much, but it's a start.
Four days is a great deal AP - don't underestimate your achievement - well done (::) (::) That's the worst of the withdrawal over with. Not saying it's plain sailing from now on, but it's certainly a lot easier now. All the best <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Alco-Pop

Post by Alco-Pop » 04 Apr 2014 08:37

Thanks, TC. Will plod on with it...
No.31.

warrior2012
Last Drink Date: 22 Apr 2014

Post by warrior2012 » 02 May 2014 14:20

I was drinking at least 30 units a day in the end, I'm on day 9 now, got out of hospital on wednesday, and am off the meds.

Mama2
Last Drink Date: 22 Oct 2014

Post by Mama2 » 23 Oct 2014 15:39

Probably around 80 units per wk..would be more if not for the almighty hangovers!
Alcohol..you have been my enemy now for so many years.I will no longer be a slave to you.I WILL be sober, healthy and have many happy years enjoying life, not wasting it with you.Its time we said our final goodbye!

Chiffon
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2016

Post by Chiffon » 03 Nov 2014 06:02

My last (and final) binge, was two bottles of 12% wine and 4 cans of cider a day, for four days :(

Chiffon
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2016

Post by Chiffon » 03 Nov 2014 10:31

Weird isn't it. I can't remember EVER drinking two bottles of lemonade and 4 cans of cola a day, yet still thought I didn't have a problem for a long time :(

JP

Post by JP » 07 Nov 2014 10:24

we've all had times we've drunk so much we can't remember it, but if with you it was lemonade and cola, then I think this may be the wrong forum for you? :lol:

JerryJambo
Last Drink Date: 30 Nov 2014

Post by JerryJambo » 28 Nov 2014 16:01

The weeks leading up to quitting I was putting away two 70cl bottles of spirits and around 40 to 60 bottles of 5% beer over 4 days broke into 2 day binges. Scary amount.

Hunnie
Last Drink Date: 03 Feb 2015

Post by Hunnie » 08 Feb 2015 20:58

Wanted to post in here to keep myself accountable.

Have added it all up, and for the last 10 years have been drinking around 100 units a week.
For the 7 years previous to that, was probably half that amount.

Before then, could take it or leave it, some weeks/months none, others maybe 10 units.

I'm surprised I'm still here to tell the tale.

Day 5 AF

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 09 Feb 2015 06:19

As much as I could. Vodka - often neat because I thought I might get 'the hit' faster. A bottle a day? As much as I coukd before I fell over and as soon as the hangover wore off. No idea about units. Or cost, but I've saved £100s since I stopped, and I don't earn that much.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Finley

Post by Finley » 09 Feb 2015 08:53

1.5 bottles of wine more or less every night, before finding BE. I can't afford to do that (physically, emotionally or financially...) either Danny D. Take it together with the fact that when I was drinking like that, I was also smoking 30 fags a day - it doesn't bear thinking about. At today's prices I'd be spending about £150 a week. That's a staggering £7800 per year :o :o
I want to be the best me I can be ...