how much did you drink......

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Re: how much did you drink......

Post by linda6666 »

Sheila i was the same, i didnt drink when my kids where young i was always sat in babysiting and drinking was somthing i only did on special occasions, so thats why it was such a shock to every1 who knew me when i ended up the drinking wreck that i became. But it just go's to show ANYBODY can fall foul to alcohol.. ;)? ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila »

I'm thankfull I didn't drink when my kids were young, I really am. It goes to show just how slowly this bloody addiction creeps up on you. Even my OH, who knew I was a heavy drinker, never really truly knew just how much ... he does now though. I remember it was when I first told him about BE, and he said "To hear you talk, anyone would think you had a problem!!", that I told him the truth.... I had a 'problem' alright :oops:
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

linda6666

Post by linda6666 »

My Ex didnt know how much i drank, my son asked him do you think my mum drinks to much ? The ex said to him "Your mum hardly drinks anything"...I Was just good at hiding my bottles, or i would refill a wine bottle with vodka and blackcurrant then it looked just like red wine, a bottle of red wine in a night duznt look 2 bad( but when its not wine) and i also had bottles hid all over, i would put in places so if i went upstairs i could take a good drink( but pretend i was useing the loo) . But my daughter has told me since all my hiding places, so at least one of us wasnt quite has daft as i thought!! So glad its in my past, i couldnt cope with life like that again......MENTAL REALLY .. :evil: :evil: :twisted:
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Post by Boris Bike »

Wow! That really is a huge amount.

Ace McCloud

Post by Ace McCloud »

8 strongbows a night on work nights..more on non work nights...around 140+ units a week,
i was on early shifts so was up at 4.30 am..and home most days by 2pm..boredom and addiction kicked in.. :roll:

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike »

Cans of Strongbow were my thing too, Mr Thomas. I sometimes went through wine phases, but couldn't really afford that. Hell, I couldn't really afford the Strongbow either but I had to have something.

I went from 10 cans a day to having 5 on my first day of cutting down. 3 day 2. Then I drank 2 a day for about a week then stopped. Didn't get any heavy withdrawal symptoms.

Melina D.

Post by Melina D. »

This is a fascinating thread. I know I'm not the only one who finds it so liberating to say out loud (well, type out loud) all the "secrets." That's one of my favourite things about BE.

I'm so interested in the extremely wide variety of amounts people here have drunk in the past, although I think we're all in agreement that it slowly increases over time.

Like Linda, I hardly drank till I was older - probably my late 30's. I vividly remember seeing a couple in a restaurant sharing a bottle of wine with their meal when I was in my 20's. They drank the whole thing, together, and I thought, very judgmentally, "Wow!They must be alcoholics!" Fast forward to the past few years, where a bottle of wine just for me never seems like enough. And just in the last couple of months, I've been regularly buying a bottle of wine for the evening, plus some beer or something else. And no longer just once a week, but two or three times - lately, more often than that.

I love to be able to come here and read the crazy things people do to disguise their drinking. When I read them I laugh - not because it's funny, but because I can relate so well. I remember a past BE discussion about all the careful plotting people (including me) put into never buying wine at the same place too many times running, so as not to look like an alcoholic. (In other words, it was okay to BE one, just not to look like one!)

On with Day One.
"Anyone who sincerely wishes can cast off the shackles of alcohol and experience the lightness and freedom that comes from not drinking today." - Claudius

My motto: Never give up quitting!

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike »

The thing that's most surprised me on here is the number of people having wine and beer in the same evening. I always avoided that like the plague because I had heard it was a sure way to end up vomiting, mixing your drinks. But it appears to be somewhat of an urban myth.

I would rather have not bought my large amounts of booze from the same shop. Most of it came with the online delivery but whenever I ran out I would go to the corner and he would always know I was in there for booze. But I figured he liked my custom more than he felt any kind of judgement. And besides, the next shop was a lot further away. The man in the shop always looks rather disappointed now I no longer grab three bottles of wine or 6 litres of cider every time I go in. He looked almost offended when I went in the other day and bought nowt except a jar of marmalade. :)

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

haha i know how you feel boris, the kids at my local tesco express are always baffled that im not grabbing my usual 12 cans of budweiser, (note-the deal is STILL on, 12 cans for £10 ) i noticed the deal today as i went in there, didnt really appeal to me this time, although i am fully aware how quickly things can change if you let your guard down
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

ihatealcohol
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2011

Post by ihatealcohol »

Don't know what the units are but I used to drink around 5 cans Stella and 2 miniature vodka. This was about 2-3 times a week. Then I went on a low carb diet and drank neat Vodka I would drink about 2-3 bottles per week, depending on my shifts. I believe it was going up and up as I would only buy a half bottle but not feel satisfied so would drive to shop ( one minute away???) and buy another quarter bottle. I work for the police. Could you imagine getting stopped. They make examples of their own and this would be the 3rd time I got caught (did not work for them on previous 2) I could go to prison. 1st time I got caught was 1987, second time was 1997. Shows how strong my addiction is and bloody selfish and irresponsible it makes you too.

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike »

Gosh, yes, please do be careful IHA. You have a lot to lose. We'll help you stay on track. ;)?

Sofia

Post by Sofia »

I went from two bottles of that cheap sainsburys home make cider 2-3 times a week, to 3 bottles of 70cl vodka last week !! Not a good idea so this time i'm quitting for GOOD x

linda6666

Post by linda6666 »

Melina (got it right lol) when i look back at the uses and excuses i can laugh at me, wasnt laughing at the time but If i was anygood at writing i would write a book on my antics, honest it would be a best seller :lol: :lol: glad i and others can look back and laugh, beats all the doom and gloom, and just goes to show there is life after drink :lol: ;)?

Melina D.

Post by Melina D. »

I drank 2 units shy of half a bottle of brandy 4/5 times a week. Why so precise you may ask? I poured the first drink down the drain because somehow just that one more would send me over the edge.
Until I read this I'd completely forgotten that this used to be one of my own brilliant strategies - like anyone without a problem would EVER do this! When I first opened a bottle of wine, I'd pour half a glass down the sink, and then feel quite virtuous and self-controlled, knowing I could then say, "Well, I didn't drink the whole bottle." Of course, I stopped doing this eventually, feeling I couldn't spare that half glass.

Isn't it crazy the things we did? Part of the problem was that everything was happening in our own heads - we couldn't tell anyone, and didn't have BE, so the full nuttiness of our behavior wasn't fully evident. On the other hand, obviously even back then, we WANTED to do better - we just couldn't figure out how.

I agree with you, Linda - there's nothing better than laughter and humour for dealing with these things - it makes me feel SO much better about everything.
"Anyone who sincerely wishes can cast off the shackles of alcohol and experience the lightness and freedom that comes from not drinking today." - Claudius

Rumblestickskin
Last Drink Date: 25 Aug 2011

Post by Rumblestickskin »

I drank 3 to 5 beers,1/2 bottle red wine(with dinner)then 3 or 4 shots of Gin,every day.
Boy that was a lot of crap now that I write it down.Bad way to live.
For a long time I just drank beer then it wasn't enough.
Cold Turkey has been Cold Torture.
Michael

George

Post by George »

You're right Michael, cold turkey is cold torture but look at it this way, the results are worth more than you'll ever get in cash, love, promotion, whatever. What you'll get in good health, both mental and physical, that and self-esteem though, is immeasurable!!!
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike »

I know what you mean, Jo.

For me the thread does satiate a curiosity I have (should point out, I didn't start this thread) but whether that curiosity is a very healthy one I'm not sure.

I do find it interesting, though.

Melina D.

Post by Melina D. »

To me, the main benefit of this thread is that for some of us, this is the first place we've actually written down what we used to drink for all to see. That can be very cathartic for those of us who have drunk secretly for many years. And to be honest, since we all disclose so much to each other, it's very interesting to see what exactly people did drink in the past.

I never get the slightest sense that people here are trying to brag or one-up each other. Not at all. It's just one more place to get things off our chests that we long kept shamefully to ourselves.

conkers1

Post by conkers1 »

I drank around 150-200 units a week for years. I didnt realise it was so much until i started to count the units.

Since starting to count units, i managed to cut down to 80-100 units in the last 12 months, but this amount is still damaging my liver as my LFT results have still been climbing.

Im now on day 7 without a drink, im determined never to go back to drinking so much again.

Crackers24

how much did you drink......

Post by Crackers24 »

I have been drinking two bottles of wine a night for years,sometimes I can't even remember going to bed,today is my first day of really trying to stop