Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

how much did you drink......

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Josiee
Last Drink Date: 23 Oct 2011

Re: how much did you drink......

Post by Josiee » 13 Sep 2011 20:22

Anywhere from a six pack of beer to a liter of vodka.

Rumblestickskin
Last Drink Date: 25 Aug 2011

Post by Rumblestickskin » 15 Sep 2011 15:16

George wrote:You're right Michael, cold turkey is cold torture but look at it this way, the results are worth more than you'll ever get in cash, love, promotion, whatever. What you'll get in good health, both mental and physical, that and self-esteem though, is immeasurable!!!
Thank you for a positive response-I would never Brag about the amount I drank.I am completely ashamed of what I have done.Harmed myself and my Family.
Michael

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Post by Boris Bike » 16 Sep 2011 22:05

drinktoomuch
Last Drink Date: 29 Oct 2016

Post by drinktoomuch » 16 Sep 2011 23:44

Does it really matter how much we drink, but more how often? We all have the same problem regardless of what or how much we drink - we drink too often and too much for our self's:(
Good luck everyone:)

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Post by Boris Bike » 17 Sep 2011 00:01

Unicorn wrote:Just fab and funny Boris, thanks for the links!
Hee hee :D

I love silly things like those.

Sofia

Post by Sofia » 17 Sep 2011 11:54

Hate to point this out but have you checked out John Tirodes bottom teeth ? Theyre ROTTEN ! (literally)

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 18 Sep 2011 22:13

drinktoomuch wrote:Does it really matter how much we drink, but more how often? We all have the same problem regardless of what or how much we drink - we drink too often and too much for our self's:(
Good luck everyone:)
Both matter, plus when we drink. But most importantly it's how it effects us, mentally and physically. I have met people in rehab who were drinking a bottle of wine a day. This doesn't sound that much to me, and maybe they weren't being entirely honest about their consumption as most people aren't, but the point is that it bothered them and worried their relatives. If your drinking bothers you, then it matters.
I think that's what you were saying wasn't it?

I know it's horrid, but it does make me feel slightly better when I hear of people who drank more than me, but alas often hear that...!
Rachel

linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Post by linda6666 » 18 Sep 2011 22:42

REMF.. I will be one of those that make you feel better, and im glad i do. My post on this thread was not to brag (my god who would want to brag about that), but posted the amounts i did drink, to give some a little peace of mind in a way, because i know a lot worry about the effect drinking has had on their health, so me in my strange way think if people see the huge amount i did drink and i came out virtually in full health (apart from a dicky tummy), people can look and think there is hope for all. I know everybody is not a fan of this thread but somtimes its the only time people will actually add up the units and admit. I know when i added mine up i needed mouth to mouth, i had never looked at it like that before ;)? ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 18 Sep 2011 22:56

I don't mind this thread at all, and I am glad you are in good health.
I got shocking results from liver tests a couple of weeks ago - should have had them before as it was a real reality check. I knew that my liver must be damaged, but seeing it on paper was another matter. The figures had halved a week later, but still scarily high.
Rachel

linda6666

Post by linda6666 » 18 Sep 2011 23:09

REMF.. I worked my units out to around to around 260(i think) and my liver tests always came back ok, and i blame a lot of my over drinking on this, cuz my GP used to say "Just because they have come back normal, its not a excuse to go and drink more" but sadly i did! Simply cuz i knew it wasnt harming my liver, my thoughts didnt think about all the other parts that get affected like the brain, and i suffered from seizures when i was giving up, and also i could not walk, all is back to normal now but i NEVER thought about these things, my ignorance just thought Liver Liver Liver and no more....We live and learn, sometimes the hard way ;)? ;)? ;)?
Last edited by linda6666 on 20 Oct 2011 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

linda6666

Post by linda6666 » 18 Sep 2011 23:15

And excuse my ignorance...I really hope your liver continues to get better, thats a good thing about the liver...Do you mind me asking what damage have you done? <:)> <:)>

soon

Post by soon » 11 Oct 2011 02:55

Two bottles of wine every time I drank--which, at its height, was three or four times a week.

Melina D.

Post by Melina D. » 13 Oct 2011 20:26

Just had to jump into this slightly controversial thread to note that I just watched Dr. Phil (don't judge me!) and he had on Duff McKagan, guitarist for Guns & Roses. He said that back when he was drinking and doing drugs heavily (he started in Grade 4), he was drinking ONE GALLON of vodka a day, in addition to the drugs.

Here's the awful, yet blackly humourous note - he was so sick and in so much pain, that he decided to cut back on the alcohol, and cut down to...ten bottles of wine per day! Needless to say, even though he was a young man, this combined with the drugs ended up putting him in the hospital. In his words, "My pancreas burst." He said he was in so much pain he asked the doctors to kill him!

Happy ending - he quit drugs and alcohol completely and is still alive and well to tell the story. Can you believe what the human body can tolerate? :o
"Anyone who sincerely wishes can cast off the shackles of alcohol and experience the lightness and freedom that comes from not drinking today." - Claudius

My motto: Never give up quitting!

lils

Post by lils » 13 Oct 2011 21:57

Just had to jump into this slightly controversial thread to note that I just watched Dr. Phil (don't judge me!) and he had on Duff McKagan, guitarist for Guns & Roses. He said that back when he was drinking and doing drugs heavily (he started in Grade 4), he was drinking ONE GALLON of vodka a day, in addition to the drugs.

Here's the awful, yet blackly humourous note - he was so sick and in so much pain, that he decided to cut back on the alcohol, and cut down to...ten bottles of wine per day! Needless to say, even though he was a young man, this combined with the drugs ended up putting him in the hospital. In his words, "My pancreas burst." He said he was in so much pain he asked the doctors to kill him!

Happy ending - he quit drugs and alcohol completely and is still alive and well to tell the story. Can you believe what the human body can tolerate? Just had to jump into this slightly controversial thread to note that I just watched Dr. Phil (don't judge me!) and he had on Duff McKagan, guitarist for Guns & Roses. He said that back when he was drinking and doing drugs heavily (he started in Grade 4), he was drinking ONE GALLON of vodka a day, in addition to the drugs.

Happy ending - he quit drugs and alcohol completely and is still alive and well to tell the story. Can you believe what the human body can tolerate? :o

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That is just shocking. WHen I read things like that my instant reaction is "no way, they must be exaggerating" but I now realise that tolerance for some people can mean that their bodies are able to cope with horrendous amounts of alcohol and drugs. Although, just like he managed to survive , there are also some who suffer liver disease on drinking a bottle of wine or less a night. We just never know which drink will be the one our bodies won't be able to tolerate anymore .

Melina D.

Post by Melina D. » 14 Oct 2011 02:03

Absolutely right. And again, he was a fairly young man when this happened. And it almost killed him. Definitely a "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME" scenario!
"Anyone who sincerely wishes can cast off the shackles of alcohol and experience the lightness and freedom that comes from not drinking today." - Claudius

My motto: Never give up quitting!

phunkychick
Last Drink Date: 16 Oct 2011

Post by phunkychick » 20 Oct 2011 08:32

Two bottles of wine every day :oops:

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 21 Oct 2011 12:32

Just read through a lot of the posts on this thread: interesting, but I can see why it's controversial. First thought: I agree it could be useful to yourself to admit your drinking levels. Also, it may help some if they see others have been drinking more, but it's a two-edged sword. One one hand, it can encourage a 'lower-level' drinker to know that others are recovering from an apparently worse starting point. On the other hand, some might feel empowered to carry on at their current/previous drinking level.

BUT , we all have different tolerances to alcohol due to e.g gender, weight, fitness, genetics, drinking history. So what is a 'no permament liver damage' situation for me, may not be for you (and vice versa).

For the record I was doing a bottle of vodka most days. What a tw*t. Luckily, doctor says liver will recover if I keep off the booze. Not sure I deserve it, but thank god.

mendrisio

Post by mendrisio » 30 Oct 2011 02:10

When I was living on my own I would drink almost every night at least two pints of strong beer (9%) and some vodka during the week. Now that I live with a friend, we somehow manage to check on each other (but still do smoke a lot of weed, together though) so we might go out and drink a lot once and drink one or two beers the other nights. On weekends I still do drink on average 3 pints of strong beer and two cocktails at least (all this from 10pm to 2am). I usually combine it with smoking, but I do this on purpose, because being weed and alcohol both sedatives their effects are not summed up but multiplied ( i think like 7 times) : this allows me to drink and smoke less.
My problem is that my bad habit as become a regular habit quite early: I was 17 and am now 21, and I've liked drinking since I remember trying it (very early).

SpaceMostWanted
Last Drink Date: 20 Nov 2011

how much did you drink......

Post by SpaceMostWanted » 30 Oct 2011 09:11

For years I was 2 cans 440ml at around 4% most nights. The odd glass of red wine, but I would get cracking headaches from it. So stuck to beer. The start of 2005 I kept getting really anxious and started on vodka, hidden, but with a beer or two my wife would think that was all I had. I was hiding. Vodka under the bath, I could nip to the loo for a swig.... But then it would be more and more and I got found out, so I would think of other places. Got to the stage I would wake in the night my body screaming for alcohol, and I hid vodka in a concealed compartment under the cooker. It went from quarter bottles, to half bottles to full bottles. It got out of hand around aug 2005 when I changed jobs and managed to come off it with Librium and went a few years not touching and when I would think back to swigging vodka at night or evenings, I felt sick at the thought. Now I could easily drink half to nearly a full bottle all day and during the night. Crazy crazy crazy!
Need to be a Dad again.... That's my main focus in life just now.

notorious

Post by notorious » 01 Nov 2011 18:59

You know, I really don't know which side of the fence I'm on regarding this thread.

Part of me can see it can have some value, in that a person may read something and take inspiration, and think something like "Wow, well if he / she can quit and make such progress after taking THAT much for THAT length of time, then so can I..."

On the other hand, of course, when we're grappling with a dose of denial and warped justification, it could be seen as a 'green light' "Well, if THAT'S OK, I'm not doing THAT much.." kind of thing.

That's not supposed to be as patronising as it sounds...

Another way to look at it, I suppose, is that if we're intent on that booze bender / and justifying our next 'slip', we'll almost always find a way to rationalise it anyway.... :?

I know my Booze Bunny side does. And it's very, very good at it. The crafty bastard. Still I'm back in my 'safe zone' for now, with the last one being so recent.

Anyhoo,just my tuppence worth. Back in my box, for now... ;)

Seán
Last edited by notorious on 01 Nov 2011 19:29, edited 1 time in total.