Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

how much did you drink......

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Mark.

Re: how much did you drink......

Post by Mark. » 01 Nov 2011 19:08

Your "tuppence worth" is always worth taking, Seán!

Good post - and I especially like the idea of the "Booze Bunny"! (I want to think up lots of other alco-animals now - the Grog Gremlin, the Hooch Hippo. Hm, I'm struggling already... :? )

I am so happy to hear you're back in your 'safe zone', Seán - fab news indeed! (::) <:)>
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

girlfromaus
Last Drink Date: 10 Oct 2014

Post by girlfromaus » 01 Nov 2011 19:19

I had an alcohol gorilla called MalcoM yes the spelling was intentional just an mm away from.... Oh well you get the drift.

Nasty bugger. Made a hell of a mess!
While I breathe I hope

notorious

Post by notorious » 01 Nov 2011 19:37

I first mentioned the Booze Bunny years ago, shortly after first joining BE.

It had it's own Donnie Darko freaky rabbit stylee avatar, and everything.

Despite recent (sadly more numerous, now) f**k ups, I still take ALOT of comfort and solace in fact that I'm nothing like I was in those heady, mentalist days of self perpetuating, self loathing, ignorant (of others around me), utterly selfish, irresponsible, complete hand utter head-in-sand-ed-ness of my frankly scary drinking habits. And not just in directly drink related ways (although of course a good many of my negative traits were indirectly related).

SO to answer the question in the thread title, I sometimes DO tell my self EXACTLY how much I used to drink, and can say today that it was zero. Not as impressive sounding as a year or six months, or even 2 weeks, but hey - it's a start - even if it's for the nth time!

I think that's the where the real merit of this thread lies.

girlfromaus

Post by girlfromaus » 01 Nov 2011 19:48

Awesome post Sean.

That would be none today for me as well. I know it's very early but I know it's a safe bet today ;)
While I breathe I hope

Catface

Post by Catface » 05 Nov 2011 00:11

I drank everyday - sometimes all day, sometimes a few if I had a planned event so I would not have a hangover over or the shakes. I have been drinking since the age of 17 and am now 46 yrs. old female. I tried to go into outpatient programs, detoxed in hospital for both alcohol and pain pills, and still went right back to my drinking.

Those 3am reality checks (waking up from sleep) and having all those horrible, suicidal thoughts, guilt shame, worthlessness, stupid and hopeless thoughts were always there and I always new they would come. But got up and started drinking again... told myself it was useless and there was no point in trying - that it could not be done, this was just my plan for this life and just deal with it - don't fight it.

Then the pain hit! The worst stomach pain I ever had in my life (or pain in general) For the first time I really did want to die. Ended up in Hospital w/ Pancreatitis. My life now - I drink I die. End of story. Also I have no intention of going through that amount of pain ever again!! So, what the hell is going to become of me. I don't know me without being a drunk. So far (1 week) have gone to AA meetings and liked them - have not had any suicidal thoughts or even any 3am realty wake up checks. Sleep pretty good and have no complaints.

Could anyone have told me to quit drinking before this happened.... NO WAY! No amount of support or caring or poetic words of wisdom, no seeing the devestation it caused others... I mean nothing. I planned to to die alone drunk.

But I am here - I will not drink because I know why I won't. My choice. I don't need contratgulations or gold stars - I just need me to be happy and healthy.

Thanks my story. CAT

Catface

Post by Catface » 05 Nov 2011 00:58

Thanks Ragner! Wonder where I will be in a year? Kinda exciting - I'm not scared. It has only been a week but I feel it in my heart and pancreas (ha ha) that being a drunk is no longer my best acheivement! I hope you keep in touch with me - I may need a few helpful ideas as time goes by and someone to relate to!

CAT

Jschroeder214

how much did you drink......

Post by Jschroeder214 » 05 Nov 2011 02:56

I cant even begin to estimate how much I drink when I start....suffice to say that I can finish off a 1.75 litre bottle of hard liquor in about 72 hours (sometimes in less time)....
There is no fear. There is only choice.

pocoloco
Last Drink Date: 19 Nov 2011

Post by pocoloco » 17 Nov 2011 17:55

one beer (with tequila) at 6pm followed by dinner followed by one bottle of wine til bedtime.every day.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 22 Nov 2011 17:19

The Absinthe Amoeba, the Beer Bulldog, the Rum Rabbit, the Cocktail Cat (or cockatoo?), the Babycham Badger... Nah, I'm stuck again, Pineapple. I like yours, though ;)? :lol:
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Tony
Last Drink Date: 24 Oct 2006

Post by Tony » 22 Nov 2011 17:35

Platypus punch sorry GFA
Keep your shield up at ALL times. Keep your promises, reach your small targets.THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK.

European Duvet Diving Champion Nov 2006.
AF 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 & 2015. Woohoo, it's possible folks.

George

Post by George » 22 Nov 2011 19:55

The halcoholic horseImage
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 22 Nov 2011 21:00

<silvergirl raises her hand>

sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

girlfromaus

Post by girlfromaus » 22 Nov 2011 21:54

Platypus punch sorry GFA
I have done a bit of mixed martial arts Tony ;)
While I breathe I hope

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 22 Nov 2011 23:26

... nothing witty here. Just the desperate Dave. But really nice to see you folks 'laughing' at it. That's the spirit! (Groan - I really didn't want to do that).

Seriously - what's a pony? Really don't know.

girlfromaus

Post by girlfromaus » 22 Nov 2011 23:32

Me neither :oops:
While I breathe I hope

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 23 Nov 2011 14:35

Still waiting guys - what is a 'pony'? I really don't know. Is it rude? :shock:

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 23 Nov 2011 15:14

I want to know also GS! :?

How about the Tanqueray Tiger. Tanqueray was my weakness :oops: :roll:
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Tony
Last Drink Date: 24 Oct 2006

Post by Tony » 23 Nov 2011 16:08

Pony was 'British Sherry'' sold in a small bottle. There were several other 'pretend sherrys' back then as well. All have had to be renamed , now they can only call them ''Fortified Wine''

It was advertised as ''The Little Drink with the Big Kick''

In my early teens I used to nick it from my parents drink cabinet to compliment my mix of gin & whisky in my bicycle water bottle. Started as I was to continue - drink everthing, anything and then some :oops: :oops:
Keep your shield up at ALL times. Keep your promises, reach your small targets.THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK.

European Duvet Diving Champion Nov 2006.
AF 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 & 2015. Woohoo, it's possible folks.

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 23 Nov 2011 21:14

Tony wrote:Pony was 'British Sherry'' sold in a small bottle.
Oh! That's not what I thought it was at all!

<silvergirl puts hand down again and looks slightly sheepish>

When I wor a lass, some relatives of mine owned a bar and us kids got to run rampage through it on all those idyllic scottish sunny summer afternoons. As ye do. There were a heap of regulars/alcoholics who all had their favourite tipple, and one gentleman prefered to drink nips rather than beer, but had a small glass of beer served to him in a nip glass because he wanted a sip of something else now and again when the taste of nearly neat rum got too much for him. That size measure of ale was called a pony. Now I come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a pony of beer being asked for or served in any other places than that particular establishment, or consumed by anyone other than that particular gentleman. But that's what I thought you were on about Ragnar!

Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 23 Nov 2011 21:55

Thank you all. I shall sleep contentedly, being wiser and sober. 'My little pony' well, well, well.