Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

successful cutting down?

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
40percentproof
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2012

Re: successful cutting down?

Post by 40percentproof » 18 Jan 2012 22:41

I did three months after reading the Allan Carr book but it felt like I was fighting it however I did feel better as a result. The straw that broke it was a holiday to Venice and as I had a meal I had wine with it. On the way back to the hotel we stopped off for beer and then normal service resumed again.

How I am now feels like less fighting if that makes sense
TWITTER : @40percentproof

www.40percentproof.blogspot.com

1sunworshipper

Post by 1sunworshipper » 18 Jan 2012 23:44

Tried and failed :(
AF2012 #21 - challenge successfully completed
AF2013 #12 - challenge successfully completed
AF2014 #12 - 11 and a bit months
nothing changes if nothing changes

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter » 19 Jan 2012 05:18

1sunworshipper wrote:Tried and failed :(
Ditto. For approximately 20 years (slow learner :? ). I find total abstinence easier and far less tiring on the soul.

Xx
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

Tatt

Post by Tatt » 19 Jan 2012 07:46

I don't know if I could do it permanently.

I had just short of three months AF last summer and then after that moved onto controlled drinking. I had cut my previous intake by about 50% and only had two occasions when I had too much to drink.....however, I decided it was slowly starting to increase so am AF now again and will see how it goes.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Shelsey
Last Drink Date: 14 Jun 2013

Post by Shelsey » 19 Jan 2012 10:47

Tried and tried and tried and failed.... to the point of death.... so no, I dont believe an alcoholic can ever successfully cut down.....
Aka STB - new name, still as much trouble!
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:
Michael - 11/09/11 - You were a beautiful person and I will miss you so much

mrmojo1980
Last Drink Date: 11 Dec 2011

Post by mrmojo1980 » 19 Jan 2012 12:33

I currently post in the cutting down thread so this is a topic of great interest to me. A couple of questions for all those who have answered so far

1.) What was your drinking habits before the failed attempts?
2.) What was your " cutting down " targets?

Thanks in advance.

Dee

1sunworshipper

Post by 1sunworshipper » 19 Jan 2012 12:58

Hi Dee, I was drinking 1 bottle of red wine every night and on some nights I would open a 2nd. Did that pretty much for well not sure how many years. Certainly heavy drinking began 2002 when major personal events took over my life and then a downward spiral therafter, the addiction formed and not able to get back.

2010 saw my put on Antabuse for a period of time (can't remember how long) but ended up back to square one very quickly.

Only decided 2011 to cut down so did 3 months AF Jan/Feb/Mar thereafter I would "be in control of my drinking". Made a pledge to never drink at home, only on social events in moderation at weekends. Seemed to work for the first couple of months then drinking every weekend. Back to then finding opportunities to drink during the week (hiding it from the family, don't want to worry them again) to from October back to bringing it into the house and drinking most nights once again. Decided realised I need to quit for good and still on that journey.
AF2012 #21 - challenge successfully completed
AF2013 #12 - challenge successfully completed
AF2014 #12 - 11 and a bit months
nothing changes if nothing changes

linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Post by linda6666 » 19 Jan 2012 15:31

Now this post will probably get a lot of reaction , but i am allowed my say and my opinion .

My ex husbands wife was an alcoholic for many years, after a lot of counselling and CBT she is now able and has been for 5years to go out and drink socially and does so.

Also a work colleague of my daughter also went down a similar road, she went further down the road in fact, and she also after counselling and CBT also has a social drinking life again.

Now i am not saying for one min , everyone here on BE (me included) , go out have counselling and everything is all ok again, because IM NOT, im just saying that these two people are people who have turned bad into good. Now if they fall from the wagon only time will tell this, but while they can go and do it and control it, i say " Good on them"

Maybe next week one might fall, but they have had five+ years of normal social drinking that people think is not possible..

I myself have no plans to try it out for myself because the desire to drink is not there.
But theirs was and they do it.......

The mind remains open.. ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 9 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ » 19 Jan 2012 16:04

I failed to cut down for years, I could ditto OE's post- for me it is far less tiring to abstain. I'm afraid I do not see the point anymore of considering controlled drinking. One glass would never be enough, and would just lead to the thirst, I don't think that will ever change for me, trial and error has shown me that, hence my signature
Cj
x
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter » 19 Jan 2012 18:10

mrmojo1980 wrote:I currently post in the cutting down thread so this is a topic of great interest to me. A couple of questions for all those who have answered so far

1.) What was your drinking habits before the failed attempts?
2.) What was your " cutting down " targets?

Thanks in advance.

Dee
Drinking habits beforehand - usually a bottle of wine a night, sometimes a little more and double at weekends. That had crept up over the years from 2 glasses per night.

Cutting down target was initially to have two alcohol free days per week (Monday and Tuesday). On the weeks that I achieved this, I spent Mondays and Tuesdays constantly thinking about wine and was virtually gasping come Wednesday. Inevitably I would drink more on a Wednesday to "make up". I tried to cut down from Summer 2010 but it didn't work for me - I'm now 8 months sober and happier that way.

That's not to say it can't be done... It's just that I couldnt do it.

Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Xx
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 19 Jan 2012 19:16

Ditto OE's post
Sandy

linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Post by linda6666 » 19 Jan 2012 19:42

Although i have posted on here of what i know, i myself would much rather stay sober for many reasons, and one of those is that it is far less complicated when you know you do not drink, so you know just how many is to many, and that is your first one!.

If anyone was to go down that road, it would be forever thinking "Have i had too many" , how many is too many?

So while i have control over my thoughts and i can choose NOT to drink, then i think this is the best bet.. No real need for booze that i can see.
So for me , why complicate things by trying ? Happy being me for as long as i can ;)? ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 9 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE

mrmojo1980
Last Drink Date: 11 Dec 2011

Post by mrmojo1980 » 20 Jan 2012 11:43

zoe wrote:And anyway, controlled drinking never really appealed to me because I almost always drank in order to get drunk. Social drinking was more a case of drinking in order to cope with chronic shyness, and all it achieved was to confirm my belief that I needed to drink in order to talk to people. My biggest trigger for drinking in my everyday life continues to be this ridiculous level of social anxiety.
Hi Zoe,

<:)> right back at ya

First of all i'd like to say that i always take the time to read all your posts and i have taken alot from them ;) . I think you know my current situation. Although i would not say i suffer from social anxiety as such i still became too used to alcohol being involved in any situation event. An AF 6weeks ( inc. Xmas) has highlighted this to me but at the same time allowed me to realise that alcohol is not a requirement!

In regards to the OP i imagine that there are more stories of failed attempts than sustained success. Like you've say it really depends on the individual circumstances. I hope i am giving myself the best chance of success - I will document my experience on these boards and hopefully continue to gain support/insight from yourself and the other regular posters.

Dee

Jschroeder214

successful cutting down?

Post by Jschroeder214 » 21 Jan 2012 04:54

No such thing for me....
There is no fear. There is only choice.

George

Post by George » 22 Jan 2012 16:56

I can't cut down with any success at all, it's all or nothing. That's why I am drinking a tin of coke just now and why I buy it by the dozen, and of course the tea and coffee. I drink huge amounts of it all but it won't do me any harm. Alcohol, well if I drink any then I do the same and drink all that I can. I cannot drink a reasonable amount at a time. I know that I can't even try to go down that road.
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

40percentproof
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2012

Post by 40percentproof » 23 Jan 2012 19:42

I tried cutting down but it isn't solving my problem, only staying off drink will and has worked. I wish anyone well who cuts down and there will be many whom that is enough for and i'm sure staying in a sensible limit will work well.

As I read earlier on here one or two was never enough and when I stayed in that limit I always wanted more and would just bide my time until the next time I could have loads.
TWITTER : @40percentproof

www.40percentproof.blogspot.com

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 19 Feb 2012 18:02

That's a fantastic post, Cowboy - it's great to hear you so positive ;)?

But don't you dare think of deleting your account, y'hear? Who else could possibly keep the LL ice cream cart as well stocked and tidy as you do? ;)?

Seriously, visit and read - but never feel afraid to post just because you don't think you have any "advice", will you? Sometimes, good company can be every bit as useful as advice - and your good company would be sorely missed.
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 19 Feb 2012 18:40

Cowboy, great post - it is really good to see that it is possible to cut down and control drinking. Would it be an idea to copy it to the Cutting Down thread to encourage those there?

I suspect many who might not believe or want to hear are jealous. After all, that is the dream for so many - to be able to return to controlled, safe drinking. Well I for one am not jealous. I tried the cutting down route many times and it didn't work for me, but I am not jealous. Envious, maybe, because I wish I could follow you - but that is not possible and is a closed issue. I am genuinly pleased that you have found a balanced place to be.

Good on yer - and do what Dr Jones said re accounts!

Dave

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 21 Feb 2012 12:08

It's so good to hear you're doing so well Cowboy.I'm glad you're staying around too, it's been a privilege getting to know you.Happy trails :D

cowboy

Post by cowboy » 16 Apr 2012 22:17

Well humility is good for the soul - they say (whoever they are). I was successful at cutting down for a couple of months. "Was" being the operative word. Now I feel a little sheepish about declaring that I could have my cake and eat it too. Not sure where I am going from here but I won't be thinking or posting that I can be successful cutting down - promise. I know it works for some and I'm genuinely happy for those folks. A couple of days clean and sober and there are a lot of positives. Better concentration, better appetite, eating better food, etc. etc. What a shame that my stubborn personality dictates to me that I can lick this addiction and stay away from excessive drinking.