Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Slipping

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
George

Re: Slipping

Post by George » 29 Jan 2013 17:15

Hi Gerard

There's only one thing for you to do here and that's to get back on the horse. Things like this happen but if you pick yourself up and get going again then that's it sorted, no problem, eh. I've tripped a few times, once after thirteen months but I don't give up, I just start again. Hope that you'll do the same, ok ;)? ;)? ;)?
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Tink

Post by Tink » 29 Jan 2013 18:38

George bravo mate xo.
My wing is healing and I have my wand drying with super glue. Now, if I watch where I step I should be ok?
I really did trip the other day and my partner said....walk much? We both had a laugh. He was with me on my slip and tried to stop me. He didn't drink but sat with me and listened as I vented and eventually went to bed. Next day he woke me with coffee and we talked. He is a dear man. Just another reason for me not to do that again.
T
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

grendeldave

Post by grendeldave » 29 Jan 2013 19:02

Slipping eh? Well, had me fair share. After my most recent one I went back and read over some of my old posts. The older ones are under my old username of grendelslip. Tink, I know you know this cos it is a lesson you helped me learn. Oh, I might still have the toilet paper. :) The earlier slip posts were about Oh waily, waily waily, poor me. The one that really got me started really properly being sober instead of just not drinking said 'Day 1. I screwed up.' Actually I was less polite. No excuses. "I'. I use the EAF thing but it is my addiction. "I" do not have to listen to it.

I think you guys are already doing this but it don't hurt to say it: getting straight back on that horse/wagon whatever you think of it as is vital. So is putting the slip behind. I did. I had some physical withdrawal and the sense of failure/embarrasement/shame, not least because I thought I had cracked it. Now? I am a liittle bit older, a damn sight wiser and a much harder nut to crack. Not uncrackable -that is the wisdom - but harder.

Now get off the Slipping thread cos I don't see no more slipping! :lol:

Dave
Desire is an illusion unless it is a streetcar. Don't get run over.

#88 - 2013 Challenge

mb

Post by mb » 30 Jan 2013 18:06

Hello to you all.
I have had a little relapse - could also be called a major f*** up!
Shocked at the attitude from my surgery - told me it was self inflicted and not
an illness!
Have returned to AA, I went last night and my sponsor is picking me up again
This evening. I know this approach isn't for everyone but I think it's worth a shot
Wishing everyone health and happiness.xxx
“Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together”
― Marilyn Monroe

mb

Post by mb » 30 Jan 2013 18:24

Hey Gerard
Thanks for responding, they won't even see me till end of feb! Crazy eh!
Hope your appointment goes well! Defo going to put in a complaint and search for better surgery.
Stay strong - please let me know how you get on xx
― Marilyn Monroe

Rollercoaster
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2015
First Sober Date: 19 Feb 2017

Post by Rollercoaster » 31 Jan 2013 18:28

Feel I could have a slip up, that whisky bottle is looking very attractive in the cupboard :o
RC ;)?
REMEMBER I AM NOT A FAILURE. I AM A SURVIVOR OF MANY BATTLES.....WALKING TO VICTORY!

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 31 Jan 2013 18:29

Hi mb, we haven't "spoken" before. Pleased to meet you.

If you are from the UK then you might be able to find some help without involving your surgery (which sounds totally useless I have to say, but sadly so many of them are!). If you read this post it tells you how to find alcohol support agencies in your area and other organisations that are there to help. For many of these places you can self-refer you don't need your surgery to refer you :

http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/a ... 87#p406479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

Rollercoaster
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2015
First Sober Date: 19 Feb 2017

Post by Rollercoaster » 31 Jan 2013 22:13

Hope your alright Gerard, dredful thing this slipping! Haven't quite fallen off the iceburg, close, but not quite! RC ;)?
REMEMBER I AM NOT A FAILURE. I AM A SURVIVOR OF MANY BATTLES.....WALKING TO VICTORY!

mb

Post by mb » 31 Jan 2013 22:45

Hey smudge,Gerald
Thank you I read article and will ring local branch of CAN tomorrow.
Got a appointment at the doctors tomorrow now too. Useless as they are!
AF for 2 days now feeling pretty shit:)
3 meetings under my belt too - I'm exhausted!
Glad you got sorted at the doctors Gerald
Xxx
― Marilyn Monroe

Tink

Post by Tink » 03 Feb 2013 15:43

Roller coaster x can u think of anything else you can or would like to do rather than drink? It helps me to take a walk and figure out what is truly causing the urge? Worked for me until I made the error in thinking and started feeling sorry for myself. Always takes me down. Went almost 4 years though this time and maybe longer now? Learned from my slip but don't wanna do it again.
Gerald my friend what can I say except I empathize and do understand. Move forward and try to get knowledge you can use in your journey. X
MB do what ever works for you mate. What do you want? That is what truly matters and if you want it to work then it will. Loads of love to all.
Week 1 done after slip and into week two. Pat on the back :) rock on. Xo
T
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.