Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Insomnia/Sleeplessness

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Re: Insomnia/Sleeplessness

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 02 Feb 2019 03:20

That'll teach me having caffeine late at night, can't remember where I heard it but caffeine has a half life of 6 hours so it won't be out of my system forever. :mrgreen:

Ruby XX
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 02 Feb 2019 15:03

Alcohol mucks up your sleep as well. Seems weird to me now that I actually used to believe it helped! Sure dont miss the sweaty 3ams, lying awake with a racing heart.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim » 02 Feb 2019 19:02

I don't think I have had a decent night's sleep since I stopped drinking, and that's about 17 months ago.

I was awake until after 3.00am this morning, and after a particularly poor week of sleep I slept until 1.45pm this afternoon, which is such a waste of a day. I have bought another couple of relaxation tracks, but I am still awake at the end of them, and by then they are starting to annoy me :roll:. Hypnosis helped a bit at the start, but seem to be a lot less effective now.

I've tried staying up really late, going to bed early, warm baths, warm drinks, pillow sprays, soft music, blackout curtains, you name it, I've tried it, but nothing works. I usually sleep in a spare room, so I don't disturb my husband, which is a shame, as it doesn't seem right, and I like being next to him; but I am up and down all night, which wouldn't be fair to him, and it would stress me if I had to lie still for hours.

I don't miss anything else about drinking; but whether or not I got 'real' sleep then, at least I wasn't spending hours every night wide awake.

martha
Last Drink Date: 30 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 31 Dec 2018

Post by martha » 02 Feb 2019 19:21

Ruby&Tilly wrote:
02 Feb 2019 03:20
That'll teach me having caffeine late at night, can't remember where I heard it but caffeine has a half life of 6 hours so it won't be out of my system forever. :mrgreen:

Ruby XX
6 hours! Hope you caught up on sleep, Ruby. Being awake in the small hours is murder. I try not to take in any caffeine after midday but sometimes the lure of a nice cappucino is too much :twisted: I often have a milky hot chocolate in the evening but whether it makes any difference to my sleep or just tastes nice I don't know :lol:
SueDenim wrote:
02 Feb 2019 19:02
I don't think I have had a decent night's sleep since I stopped drinking, and that's about 17 months ago.
:(
I definitely sleep better when I'm not drinking which is actually one of my incentives to not drink, so sympathy there, it must be rough.
Would you go down the medication route, private prescription possibly as i know gp's are loathe to give out expensive or habit forming tablets these days. Or strong anti histamines - I've seen one mentioned on BE but can't remember the name of it (w)

What's keeping me awake or waking me up currently is noisy neighbours. Everything seems to escalate at night and I actually lie awake plotting my revenge on them :? :twisted:
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 02 Feb 2019 21:11

martha wrote:
02 Feb 2019 19:21
Ruby&Tilly wrote:
02 Feb 2019 03:20

Ruby XX
6 hours! Hope you caught up on sleep, Ruby. Being awake in the small hours is murder. I try not to take in any caffeine after midday but sometimes the lure of a nice cappucino is too much :twisted: I often have a milky hot chocolate in the evening but whether it makes any difference to my sleep or just tastes nice I don't know :lol:
SueDenim wrote:
:(
I definitely sleep better when I'm not drinking which is actually one of my incentives to not drink, so sympathy there, it must be rough.
Would you go down the medication route, private prescription possibly as i know gp's are loathe to give out expensive or habit forming tablets these days. Or strong anti histamines - I've seen one mentioned on BE but can't remember the name of it (w)

What's keeping me awake or waking me up currently is noisy neighbours. Everything seems to escalate at night and I actually lie awake plotting my revenge on them :? :twisted:
Hi Martha, sorry to hear about the neighbours, is it worth reporting them? I managed to get a few hours sleep but I'm having an early night tonight.

Poor you Sue, that must be awful, you've probably tried it but I take Valerian tea, it doesn't always work. The anti histamine you're thinking about is promethazine I think, it didn't do much for me. I managed to talk my gp into giving me nitrazepam, it helps as a placebo, just knowing I have it should it get really bad seems to help but it is addictive and hard to come by.

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 02 Feb 2019 23:11

martha wrote:
02 Feb 2019 19:21
I can't take much by way of medication because of my liver damage, so I just have to put up with it, I'm afraid.

Noisy neighbours are very annoying. Could you have a word? Maybe they don't realise how loud they are, or how far the noise travels. Mine are generally ok; but they are football fans, and when their team plays we may as well go to the stadium as the noise is so loud. It's bearable for an hour and a half every so often; but if it happened at night I would probably have to kill them :evil:.

Pork
Last Drink Date: 22 Nov 2017

Post by Pork » 08 Feb 2019 01:12

Phenergan.
Just taken one as having trouble getting back to sleep.
Mind buzzing.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 11 Feb 2019 13:56

SueDenim wrote:

I was awake until after 3.00am this morning, and after a particularly poor week of sleep I slept until 1.45pm this afternoon, which is such a waste of a day. I have bought another couple of relaxation tracks, but I am still awake at the end of them, and by then they are starting to annoy me :roll:. Hypnosis helped a bit at the start, but seem to be a lot less effective now.

I've tried staying up really late, going to bed early, warm baths, warm drinks, pillow sprays, soft music, blackout curtains, you name it, I've tried it, but nothing works. I usually sleep in a spare room, so I don't disturb my husband, which is a shame, as it doesn't seem right, and I like being next to him; but I am up and down all night, which wouldn't be fair to him, and it would stress me if I had to lie still for hours.

I don't miss anything else about drinking; but whether or not I got 'real' sleep then, at least I wasn't spending hours every night wide awake.
I don't mean to irritate, and I do know how annoying it is when people suggest things you've tried or just don't "get" the impact of your insomnia. I am just wondering if you've given sleep hygiene training a consistent long go? I'm saying this because I was always rather dismissive of it myself, but I do now attribute some of my recent improvements in sleep to adopting some of the principles .
Completed 2018 challenge

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 11 Feb 2019 23:58

I did consciously try it, but I think it was when I had recently stopped drinking, which may not have been the best time, so it might be a good idea to start it again.

I've just refreshed my memory on it, and do most of the recommended things anyway. I don't always get up when I can't sleep, but I do find something mindless to do if I don't go downstairs. I find things like playing solitaire on my iPad clears my mind, as I have concentrate a bit, - not enough to put me off sleep, but enough so that I can't think about anything else. If I do go downstairs, I have a cup of cider apple vinegar tea (no caffeine) and after half an hour or so I go back to bed and take it with me, as it's fine to drink cold.

I try telling myself stories, which is what i used to do when I was a sleepless child. I play my rain tracks, which make me feel warm and cozy (and dry!), or a hypnosis track, which can really relax me, but not get me to sleep.

I have an early start tomorrow, so am going to go to bed now, and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply, though. Can you recommend a good hypnosis mp3? I have played the ones I have so often they are getting boring, and I am waiting for little things like a strange pronunciation from the hypnotist, rather than letting go. Maybe a new one would kick start things.

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2015

Post by Lush4life » 12 Feb 2019 07:36

SueDenim wrote:
11 Feb 2019 23:58
I did consciously try it, but I think it was when I had recently stopped drinking, which may not have been the best time, so it might be a good idea to start it again.

I've just refreshed my memory on it, and do most of the recommended things anyway. I don't always get up when I can't sleep, but I do find something mindless to do if I don't go downstairs. I find things like playing solitaire on my iPad clears my mind, as I have concentrate a bit, - not enough to put me off sleep, but enough so that I can't think about anything else. If I do go downstairs, I have a cup of cider apple vinegar tea (no caffeine) and after half an hour or so I go back to bed and take it with me, as it's fine to drink cold.

I try telling myself stories, which is what i used to do when I was a sleepless child. I play my rain tracks, which make me feel warm and cozy (and dry!), or a hypnosis track, which can really relax me, but not get me to sleep.

I have an early start tomorrow, so am going to go to bed now, and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply, though. Can you recommend a good hypnosis mp3? I have played the ones I have so often they are getting boring, and I am waiting for little things like a strange pronunciation from the hypnotist, rather than letting go. Maybe a new one would kick start things.
Sue sorry you struggling to get a good night am sorry to report it took me over two years for this to improve, now mostly the waking up during the night has got much better , getting to sleep that another whole issue for me 😣
I tend to go to bed couple hours before hubby just to get to sleep before he gets in , he snores ! ( not always possible)
Its hard to switch off my thoughts , I've , like you tried all these relaxing YouTube stuff but no doesn't work for me.
However I now have my bedside fan on all night ( mad I know) but the droning noise ( white noise I think they call it) does help me get into some kind of a rhythm , also I like the breeze 😏
Ole man however does not appreciate my fan at all !
Again that be another bone of contention; I don't appreciate his snoring so 😎
Just putting it out there, I know I will try most things to get some decent sleep in, cos at times, it felt to me i was being punished for remaining sober, that's stupid I know but just being totally honest here.
Anyway wishing you well, 4 years on my sleep was crap last night, but occasionally that's the nature of the beast 🙂
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 12 Feb 2019 08:06

The bits I have found most helpful about the sleep hygiene approach have been; consistency of going to bed/getting up, regardless of sleep - now that things have settled down my rising time is more variable, but I stick to having a bedtime pretty consistently; no screens after 9 - I don't find TV (although not in the bedroom!) so bad, but certainly no phone or laptop, surfing or games; no fluids after a certain point in the evening. Anyway, yes it might be worth a rigorous further go? I'm afraid I can't comment on hypnosis CD's as I don't use them myself. Funny you should say that about the fan Lushie, I at one time found I could sleep better with a lamp on all night.
Completed 2018 challenge

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 14 Feb 2019 22:28

Thanks both.

Yes, Lushie, I know what you mean about feeling like you're being punished for being sober. I keep reading about how people find the best thing about stopping drinking is sleeping like a baby, and I really envy them.

Once I'm asleep it's not too bad (if I do wake up to go to the loo, or whatever, I can get back to sleep again), but it's nodding off that I find impossible. I am coming up to 18 months now, so if I have to wait another six to be able to sleep well, I can deal with it. It's the thought that things will be like this forever that gets me down.

Soberboots, thanks again for the tips. I did try getting up at the same time regardless of sleep; but it became torture. After a few nights of 2 hours a night, being able to lie in was beyond being a treat - I really needed to do it. A psychologist friend, who advocated the technique was quite cross with me; but she hasn't gone through the sheer exhaustion of sleep deprivation. I don't know if hypnosis worked for me when I first stopped drinking, as I was trying all sorts of things; but for a while I did sleep better. In the very early days I had vivid dreams, and quite looked forward to going to sleep to see which film I would be starring in. That stopped after a couple of weeks, and I would fall asleep listening to a 'stop drinking' hypnosis track; but then that stopped working, and it's been grim ever since.