Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Re: The To Do List

Post by Rachel » 15 Apr 2019 10:30

Chocolate kittens always left me feeling a little ambivalent, jjjj! (We sometimes got these.) I wasn't entirely deprived of chocolate. My parents were just funny about eggs ('pagan') so we would have a chocolate orange. My grandma might have given us eggs. But we certainly didn't get huge stashes as no other close family.

They have some very nice looking eggs in Waitrose, as I hinted heavily to husband, while we were there yesterday...

I was/am a fan of the Buddha of Suburbia too.

Good(ish) news re job!

John sorry re your sleeping. It makes sense to make you bed as comfortable as possible. I keep waking up with pain in my hip and knee. I hope it's just the (ancient, lumpy, broken springs) mattress. I need a new one, I know the one I want, but... I suppose a mattress topper would be cheaper, but really, the mattress is disgusting and needs replacing, but they ain't cheap.

I enjoyed by sewing class yesterday. I am keen to keep practising and take more lessons. I do really need a table for it. I am afraid, while pinning up the seems of my, admittedly not terribly useful cloth drawstring bag, I was thinking with glee that I now have an excuse to buy a pin cushion and pinking sheers. Probably need a new tape measure too. And some dressing making scissors... :)

Anyway. To do:
work
finish proofing a book that I have been dragging my heels over.
philosophy... maybe (probably not today)
dinosaurs
feed dwarf cherry trees and biggest tomato plant which is now flowering. (It's still in a 7 inch pot! I might pot it on.) Or take courgette seedlings out of propagator and put in little pots. I will do both if I have the energy.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Rachel

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 15 Apr 2019 12:24

Rachel wrote:
15 Apr 2019 10:30
Chocolate kittens always left me feeling a little ambivalent, jjjj! (We sometimes got these.)
:lol: I can imagine, Rachel!
Rachel wrote:
My parents were just funny about eggs ('pagan') so we would have a chocolate orange.
This is not a criticism of your parents, but it's interesting to look back at some of the attitudes/concerns prevalent during our childhoods, isn't it? What you said about eggs reminded me a bit of a very religious lady we had at our church who kicked up a stink when she realised the children's dressing-up box had a witch's hat in it - far too pagan!

She was quite extreme, though. When our schoolteacher - I still know her - left her first husband for another man, a meeting was convened by Religious Lady and a vote held on whether or not our schoolteacher should be asked to leave the congregation. My grandfather's cousin, very much an 'elder' of the community whom we always called 'Uncle' Jack, felt obliged to stand up and say that since he'd committed exactly the same sin as the schoolteacher back in the late '50s and had been allowed to stay, it was not for him to cast the first stone. I've always really admired Uncle Jack (RIP) for that. Schoolteacher remained; Religious Lady (very pleasant in all other regards) began attending a church in another village, although she still lives virtually opposite the chapel. Thinking about it, I once got hideously drunk at a party with her daughter when I was about eighteen :oops: (Oh, and Schoolteacher and Husband #2 are still very much happily together, in case anyone's wondering.)

Oddly, I was thinking about churches/denominations during the last few days and something I might be looking for is what seems (in my rose-tinted memory) the simpler Christianity of my childhood: the little URC chapel with its harvest festival and Christmas and Easter services; the village housewives on the flower rota, the husbands taking turns to mow the churchyard (although, one would hope that the wives are now allowed to mow the lawn while the husbands arrange the lilies...); the small dusty Sunday School room with its torn and tattered painting of the shepherd David looking down from a hill over his flock; and more than that, in terms of the theology such as it was, just the simple love of Jesus and his parents and trying to be good. I suppose it's the childlike simplicity that I'm (possibly childishly) seeking. My nephew and niece enjoy some of that nowadays, although most of their activities (and the religious life of the village) seem to happen at the CoE church.

Thing is, though, when I've been back, I realise I could never attend the URC if I lived there. It's really great for the villagers who attend, but I can't abide (apologies to anyone who likes this kind of thing!) how all the prayers rhyme really badly - like the Rev. Eli Jenkins in Under Milk Wood, but not half as good or (somehow) as passionate. Maybe I'm not as childlike as I'd like to think - or would like to be.

I am rambling, sorry! (w)
Rachel wrote:
Good(ish) news re job!
Thanks! :D It's not perfect, but it's ok, and I'll be continuing to work with my one of my favourite colleagues.
Rachel wrote:
I enjoyed by sewing class yesterday. I am keen to keep practising and take more lessons. I do really need a table for it. I am afraid, while pinning up the seems of my, admittedly not terribly useful cloth drawstring bag, I was thinking with glee that I now have an excuse to buy a pin cushion and pinking sheers. Probably need a new tape measure too. And some dressing making scissors... :)
I'm glad you're enjoying your sewing! I wonder how D is getting on with hers? ;)?

PS. Hm. I've just reread Eli Jenkins' prayer and found it rather touching. I must be getting soft (and/or wistfully nostalgic) in my old age ;)

Every morning when I wake,
Dear Lord a little prayer I make,
O please to keep Thy loving eye
On all poor creatures born to die.
And every evening at sun-down
I ask a blessing on the town,
For whether we last the night or no
I'm sure is always touch-and-go.
We are not wholly bad or good
Who live our lives under Milk Wood,
And Thou, I know, wilt be the first
To see our best side, not our worst.
O let us see another day!
Bless us all this night, I pray,
And to the sun we all will bow
And say, goodbye - but just for now!
"Create in me a clean heart, O God; And renew a right spirit within me."
Psalm 51:10

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 15 Apr 2019 12:32

PPS. Apologies for such a ramblingly nostalgic post! It all went a bit Lark Rise to Candleford without me realising - albeit with witches hats and adultery chucked in for good measure :oops: :lol:

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2030
First Sober Date: 0- 0-2030

Post by DannyD » 15 Apr 2019 12:59

\:)/ everyone

Doing
Bunking off life at the moment

Jjjj I'm pleased the job is more stable (you're not on the meat counter are you? Neigh I hear you reply. War Horse joke).

Rachel I'm glad you enjoyed the sewing. A bag can always be useful - if only for holding dress making shears (apparently Ikea do really good ones for about £7.00), pins and a tape measure. I've picked up (real) books again, so am reading my back log.

John I've just moved my bed from room a to b, which entailed shaking up the mattress. I've been sleeping much better since. Perhaps try turning the mattress?

Enjoyed your ramblings Jjjjjj. An England past.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 15 Apr 2019 13:49

Hi D \:)/
DannyD wrote:
15 Apr 2019 12:59
Jjjj I'm pleased the job is more stable (you're not on the meat counter are you? Neigh I hear you reply. War Horse joke).
Hee hee! I'm remaining on our one remaining counter - hot deli. I was amazed about this since it's the one counter I hadn't been trained on. Now I'm learning to cook chickens and sausages. It's all good fun :D
DannyD wrote:
John I've just moved my bed from room a to b, which entailed shaking up the mattress. I've been sleeping much better since. Perhaps try turning the mattress?
That's a very good idea ;)? I admit this won't help everyone, but I've also always found that simply changing the bedroom around (if possible - moving the bed and furniture around and so forth) can help my sleep. It sort of "freshens" up the room somehow to face a different way, even if you do minimal redecorating. But actually shaking up the mattress might well help too, as long as the mattress is fundamentally sound to begin with. I'd never thought about that! :)
DannyD wrote:
Enjoyed your ramblings Jjjjjj. An England past.
Thanks <:)> I genuinely appreciate that - although it does make me feel a little bit old when I consider that this "England past" only existed about thirty years ago ;)
DannyD wrote:
Doing
Bunking off life at the moment
Enjoy! :D I'm bunking off at the moment too. I have things to do, but, erm, maybe tomorrow... Today is for no obligations, after all. I hope Rachel won't mind but I'm renaming it Make It Up Monday. So, for now, I'm sort of working on a song - it currently has a reggae/sea shanty feel. At the moment, it also sounds a tiny bit like the main riff from this (not a great song, but hey - mine is much worse). All I need are some words and Stevie Nicks to sing it. I'd settle for just that. Forget the marching band - no point in being overambitious about these things...

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 15 Apr 2019 14:29

How on earth do you shake a mattress? I am assuming it's not a chunky King Sized one. It's hard enough shaking king sized duvets :)

I was just looking at mattress toppers. But if I get one, then my sheets won't fit anymore. Maybe I should just force the new mattress event. But when I said I really really needed a new one, this morning, he said I could swap rooms :o Anything to avoid spending money.

I did clear the clothes off my floor yesterday, which makes the room seem much better. Most of the clothes are, though, now (in a heap) on a chair... Next task...!

Ah the problem with church is the people who go to it. Church politics are saddening. There was a terrible to do at the church I went to growing up. The second vicar from my time was Anglo-Catholic, and started to introduce things like incense and confession (much to my father's glee). Naturally some people didn't like this. The rumblings got louder and louder, and when the priest and his curate, who now shared the vicarage (to save money, I imagine. The curate's house was rented out to raise income) both took vows of celibacy, there were accusations (that's the only word, given the way they were put, I am afraid) that they were gay. It got very very nasty. This must have been in the '90s. In the end, he left and became a Roman Catholic priest anyway. Ironically, meanwhile, at a certain RC/religious college where I taught in Oxford, the priests were leaving to get married...

There are always exemplars of non-Christian behaviour, alas in the church. There was an exceptionally nasty church warden type at the church where I went to AA meetings. She loathed us.Disapproved us for one of the reasons why we were there (our drinking) while failing to take into account the other (our desire to stop and stay stopped, and indeed become better people.) Frankly, I think AA might (in principle) have done her some good.

It's all a bit of a matter of
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam [or 'log' in the version we had] out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

(Such a very weird one. Must be a mistranslation?! I am getting deja vu now. Have we discussed this before?) Similar theme to your 'Uncle' Jack - a good man indeed, by the sound of it.
But hopefully all these failings are not in the majority.

Jjjjj your reason for not attending chapel... basically on aesthetic grounds! :D

p.s. we may not have got eggs because my parents didn't want to spend the money. Although this does not explain the intense disapproval of Easter Cards, I think (especially not when she used to send 100+ out at Christmas!)
Rachel

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 15 Apr 2019 15:39

Rachel wrote:
15 Apr 2019 14:29
Jjjjj your reason for not attending chapel... basically on aesthetic grounds! :D
Basically, yes! :oops: :lol: In my vision, Christ knocks at my door much as he does in William Holman Hunt's 'Light of the World'. I will gladly answer him - precisely because I already live in such a gloriously arcadian abode!

But it does also come down to this too, and all you said about politics:
Rachel wrote:
Ah the problem with church is the people who go to it. Church politics are saddening.
I suppose what I'm really looking for is The Church of Jjjj's Singular Vision of Christ. (Is that catchy enough? I'll try some others later, before launching it ;) ). If everyone thought and did as I would like them to, that would be my denomination of choice :lol:
Rachel wrote:
It's all a bit of a matter of
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam [or 'log' in the version we had] out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

(Such a very weird one. Must be a mistranslation?! I am getting deja vu now. Have we discussed this before?) Similar theme to your 'Uncle' Jack - a good man indeed, by the sound of it.
Yes, he was a lovely man. And his second marriage lasted until he passed away.

I too think we may have discussed that quotation before. I always felt it could be read two ways. As a child, I thought it meant: "If you have a splinter in your eye, don't try taking the splinter out of another person's eye until you yourself can see clearly." In other words, don't put others at risk before you yourself can help them. For example, a surgeon with a bloodied eye isn't going to be of much use until he has his own eye cleaned up.

I suppose that is (physically) what it means. But as an adult, I tend also to see it as a warning about hypocrisy: don't tell another not to do something when, at the very same time, you are doing something much worse.

But it is an interesting passage because, as you say, there is possibly something odd going on with the translation. It's not particularly clear what Jesus was trying to say.

Talking of which...
Rachel wrote:
I did clear the clothes off my floor yesterday, which makes the room seem much better. Most of the clothes are, though, now (in a heap) on a chair... Next task...!
Hie thee to thy bedroom and clear thou chair! I honestly think that as neat and tidy a bedroom as possible is a godsend to good sleep! Not that I always follow my own advice, of course ()o <:)>

I bet the people living inside this house were sleeping soundly - until a certain Someone with a lantern knocked at their door :lol:

Light of the World by William Holman Hunt.jpg
Light of the World by William Holman Hunt.jpg (97.54 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 15 Apr 2019 15:43

PS.
Rachel wrote:
p.s. we may not have got eggs because my parents didn't want to spend the money. Although this does not explain the intense disapproval of Easter Cards, I think (especially not when she used to send 100+ out at Christmas!)
If your mother used to send 100+ Christmas cards, no blooming wonder she didn't want to send out/spend on Easter cards too ;) :lol: <:)>

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC » 15 Apr 2019 21:42

Hiya Besties

Jeepers you guys have filled a whole page with postings in just 24 hrs, way to go>>>>>>>>

Had to go with Wifey to tescos to choose some Easter eggs (we're supposed to be watching the carbs, more like watching them as we eat them (w) ) but hey ho Sweetheart is happy now there's 4 Easter eggs in our lounge on the cabinet.

Been working in the garden this afternoon and I think I've hurt my back.

It's a BIG day for me on Thursday.

Glad to hear the weather and temperatures are going to improve for the Easter hols.

Been on my bike again today and I enjoyed it, back on my bike hopefully tomorrow if my lumbar spine is willing and I've got 'Night at the Museum 2' to start watching.

Good night all, sleep well.
JC
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 15 Apr 2019 23:24

Evening. Skating in before the vampires surface.

John you have Easter eggs already? I've bought them. I've eaten them. I've bought more - I still have none for Easter. I can resist anything except temptation. I've been giving up alcohol for Lent, and rather allowed free rein on the sweets and chocolate. After this weekend I shall have to reign that in.

I've enjoyed the conversation throughout today. Then at work this evening Albertross was played. A reminder of the 60s. It's been an alright evening.

To do tomorrow

Doc, first thing. This is supposed to be a follow up to my foot X Ray, but I think I shall hijack the appointment and ask for advice on my constant tiredness. Falling asleep after being up for a couple of hours, can't be normal, even for someone as old as me.
Perhaps I should do some exercise... Certainly practise a few scales on the piano.

In the meantime, bed with a book.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 16 Apr 2019 07:56

Morning

Here I am with my list

Doc with whatever is ailing me most by the time I get there.
Habedashery to buy some curtain hooks.
Home. Hang up curtains. Hope the rain has stopped.
Walk the dog.

And more later.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 16 Apr 2019 09:19

Hiya Besties

Hiya Danny, more Easter eggs needed methinks.

Here's my list:-
Already done, lemon juice drink down the hatch (did you try it Danny?)
Veggies chopped for animals
Low carb breakfast bowl of wheat bran, chopped nuts and chopped fruit down the hatch
To Do:-
Feed animals
Go out to café for omelette and beans & coffee
Cross the road to café bar for more coffee and newspapers
Pop into sainsburys for bits and bobs
Go home for lawn project and staking and tying up the daffodils
Fish dinner with parsley sauce at home
Animals
Chill
Bed.

Have a great day Besties
JC

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 16 Apr 2019 10:21

I hope the doctor's goes ok, Danny. I have been to the doctor's several times in the last 7 years about tiredness. I have had the following responses:
suggestions that I am depressed (did my best to convince that wasn't depressed, leading to on some occasions, but not others)
blood test - vitamin D supplements (they won't do that any more unless you obviously have rickets! Official NHS line is that we all have vit D efficiency in the winter and we should buy supplements.)
blood test: Vitamin B tablets
blood test: iron tablets
blood test to check thyroid. Alas came back as compensated for by tablets.
No one connected the tiredness to my being a recovering alcoholic, which undoubtedly was an issue in the year after i had my last drink. Only one doctor ever offered me vitamin B while I was an active, but trying to stop alcoholic in the year after my recovery attempts began.

I think the thyroid one is the answer. It's floating round in my blood stream but my body isn't taking it up/using properly.

The vitamins/iron did make me feel great for a while. They are prescription ones are about 500% (?) more potent than ones you can buy. But then the effects wore off.

Anyway, Good luck. It's nebulous symptom, attached to so many conditions, so hard to get to the bottom of.

I do have a small Easter Egg to share with husband, which I bought ages ago when ordering something from Betty's of York.

To do today:
work
try not to eat too much/consume sugar. Yesterday I was very good during the day, but rather bad in the evening. (Partly because the 'good' was not enough food. But I really did enjoy that bowl of cereal I had for lunch.)
Nip out for something, but I can't remember what. (But I need to walk around more in my lunch hour.)
return sandals I bought = post office trip. May do this tomorrow.
take home big bulky thing I bought on eBay :oops: (It's a metal plant stand. It's sole purpose is to keep things off the ground and away from slugs. It's not that nice. Although maybe if I paint it...? Currently, it's white.)
So research paint for metal. Actually I have a metal bench the paint of which is peeling off. So need to de-rust it and paint at some point.

pot up courgettes
a bit of tidying in the garden? Or tomorrow. New gardener comes on Thursday?

I hope everyone has a good day.

p.s. I am very relieved that Notre Dame is still standing.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 16 Apr 2019 10:50

Rachel I've been referred a) to podiatrist for foot problem, and b) a fasting blood test in about 3 weeks time (I'm away for a week). The suggestion was 'maybe vit b12', so I've bought some, and intend to start them today. With food.
I've often thought your To Do lists are much more intense and busy than mine Rachel.

John I'm in a cafe and have ordered omelette. This is healthy right?

To do
Walk home
Walk the dog
Bus into town and do some alternative Easter egg present shopping. Might have a look in (Flying) Tiger for ideas.
Pre show meal.
Watch a show with friends who will give me a lift home

Pray for Paris and the Notre Dame

Edit: I won't bother with this caff again. Omelette was cooked in stale oil. Disgusting. The side salad was edible.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 16 Apr 2019 11:48

I have to squeeze a lot in, Danny.
Rachel

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 16 Apr 2019 14:02

oooooh yes Danny, an omelette is super healthy containing virtually no carbs and a good source of protein, have it with a side salad for an even better no carb snack.

This morning I had a 3 egg omelette with baked beans and mushrooms, scrummy, there's carbs in the beans but not too many, very few in the mushrooms.

Back home now but it's raining so I will find chores to do indoors.
Laters
JC

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 17 Apr 2019 08:33

Morning

An omelette is usually super healthy John. The one I was served yesterday had to be the most disgusting thing ever. The tomatoes and cucumbers in the side salad were tasty.

Today
Scrabbling around trying to catch up.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 18 Apr 2019 05:45

Morning.

I feel it's the middle of the night (5.30am), but I'm awake. My neighbour's are away for the weekend, so I'm going to get a head start on the day.

Vacuum the stairs. \/
Vacuum the living space. \/
(1 job really, but two ticks. Two achievements, right?)
Piano practise. [ EDIT \/ (done 15 minutes, more later. Doesn't do to rush these things, right?) ] My hands and fingers are getting very arthritic. Easter is a big gig and I'd like my hands to be working.
30 minute power walk. I think the route I'm planning might only be 10 minutes, but it's up a hill, and can be extended.
Breakfast. Something with eggs. Scrambled? Probably. \/
Shopping. My daughter is visiting and has sent me a list. \/
Clean out the fridge.
Walk the dog.
Do some gardening.
Collapse for 10/20 minutes this afternoon.
Work shift this evening. Must remember to take my knitting. It's going to be that sort of work.

Hope y'all have a good day planned.
Last edited by DannyD on 18 Apr 2019 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 18 Apr 2019 07:07

Hiya Besties
hiya Danny, have a great day, you sound very energised.

Today's going to be a great day for me ( Wifey's anxiety levels allowing ) we're off to the botanical gardens today after a veggie breakfast at Morrisons, and I'm 1000 days dry today, first day dry was 23/7/2016, I'm so very happy with myself, here's to the next thousand days.

Have a great day y'all.
JC
Last edited by JohnC on 18 Apr 2019 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 18 Apr 2019 08:04

1000 days John. That's brilliant. (::) (::) (::) (::)

I hope you have a great day celebrating. Well done. (::) (::)