Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2015

Re: Meditation

Post by Lush4life » 10 Sep 2017 06:51

Shadowlad wrote:Out with the meditation and in with the medication and out with aggressive people. I shall pack him off to a Buddhist temple but believe me he would piss the monks off too !!
I know it shouldn't Nicky, but that last line made me smile !
Hugs to you and really hope all returns to some sort of normality and calm very soon x
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

chick dip
Last Drink Date: 18 Sep 2012

Post by chick dip » 10 Sep 2017 15:24

Nicky <:)> <:)> <:)>
Hang in there hun...checking out is not allowed xx
AF May 2010-Sept 2012...thanks to this site...

Onward and upward again

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 10 Sep 2017 19:08

Meditation can sometimes have a specific intention, like refinding focus when dealing with difficulties.

Here is a link to a meditation called The RAIN of Self-Compassion
https://www.tarabrach.com/selfcompassion1/
https://www.tarabrach.com/meditation-th ... ompassion/

<:)> to all
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#28 on the 2019 Challenge

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 13 Sep 2017 19:16

Thanks, Kim, Chicky and Trojan <:)> <:)>

A bit more focused now,

Thanks for the links, always appreciated xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Sue C

Post by Sue C » 13 Sep 2017 21:47

Trojan,
thank you for sharing the meditation links. Just what I needed this evening. Have been beating myself up for a few weeks for things I haven't done/should have done. Too many 'shoulds' and 'musts' in my head. The RAIN/Self compassion meditation is lovely and I've saved it to do it again tomorrow.

Sue x

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 27 Feb 2018 16:27

The best place i can meditate is deep in the countryside. Have really missed this during the winter months. My globe trotting daughter has booked flights for the two us to go to Slovenia, and stay right by Lake Jasna with all its surrounding mountains and beauty. This is supposed to be from the 1st April for 2 weeks. I have mixed feelings. What a beautiful and remote place to go and lose yourself in nature. What an opportunity. This is totally alien to my drinking lifestyle, but more attuned to the life i always wanted. Daughter is excited but we both know we have a doggy who may be very poorly. I may have to cancel my flight depending on the outcome of doggy's medical tests. I wouldn't be able to leave someone else looking after him. Hmmm, what will be will be. Life is full of twists and turns and im so grateful to be sober xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 27 Feb 2018 22:12

Fingers and toes crossed Shadowlad ;)?

Winkler
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2019

Post by Winkler » 29 Aug 2019 17:17

So pleased Shadowland posted me the link for this thread, I’ve really enjoyed my last 2 days of starting meditation practice again. I think maybe what I’ve done before, although not wasted, were maybe not the ideal techniques for me and so I lapsed. Funny how 15 mins seemed short and 20 mins long but yeh, found myself being much more mindful as a result at times, yesterday and today, and stopped myself getting caught up in those negative thinking loops we all do. Or maybe it’s just me :D

I was pleased to find this website by Giovanni, he’s obviously studied it in depth and has taken away a lot of the mystique around meditation.
https://liveanddare.com/types-of-meditation

I also downloaded the ‘insight timer’ app purely for the timer but having had a peruse of the app, there are many courses/meditations and series of meditations on there for a host of different problems. There’s a lot of free stuff on there but also a bit of pressure to start a 7 day free trial to get ‘upgraded’ membership. Not sure I’m after that atm, not as into guided meditation as maybe I once was but open to have a bit of fun with it!

Anybody else a regular meditator? Perhaps we can encourage each other on :?
Alcohol is an addictive poison

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 29 Aug 2019 19:31

Thanks for the link Winkler, something I'd like to get back into. I once went to a yoga class that chanted 'I am', it was amazing and I really felt the benefit of it for quite a while after. There's various meet up groups round here that do various forms of meditation, I really didn't realise there are so many different types.

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Winkler

Post by Winkler » 29 Aug 2019 22:59

No, or me!
I went to a couple of spiritual based groups for a while to learn meditation, which were OK but a bit ‘samey’, always done the same way and I got a bit bored, frankly and didn't fully accept their underlying religious dogma, didn’t really want to continue

I do love yoga, have done various classes but at the moment haven’t got a teacher or a time I really get along with, and there’s always a bit of meditation at the end, although, as I say, because I haven’t got the teacher I want right now, it’s not working for me! I plan to browse online for a yoga teacher - think that will suit me better at the moment.

So I looked around Giovannis site a bit more and got a vid of him saying what we need to do to make meditation work for us. He’s a real little cutie actually, might let him be my toyboy guru :) So he says
1. Know why we want to do it
2. Logistics - when, where, how (he says first thing is best and keep it short at the beginning, maybe 3 mins of breath counting then build, or use a guided meditation). Best place, somewhere quiet and clean at home so you feel relaxed but failing that, anywhere!
3. Never miss a day - needs that commitment even if it is just the 3-5 mins. Never zero!
https://youtu.be/u68Pgb6lPBM

I’m in :D

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 25 Aug 2019

Post by Leslans » 30 Aug 2019 08:16

Just watched the video, I’m going to have a go too. A newbie to meditation. Interesting <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Winkler

Post by Winkler » 31 Aug 2019 07:43

Ah hope you enjoy it Leslans - you’re a yogi, I think, after all!

Just did this 20min guided sitting meditation, probably not ideal that I thought of posting it here when engaged with it :D but at least I was aware of that thought haha

Feel mega relaxed now, and was very aware of the brightness of colours and textures around me when I stretched after doing it! On the whole I think I prefer unguided meditation, but good to have a change/reinforcement

https://palousemindfulness.com/meditati ... 20min.html

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 31 Aug 2019 21:00

I see what you mean about Giovanni Winkler, how could you not be calm listening to him. :D

Good luck with the meditation guys. ;)?

Ruby XX

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 10 Sep 2019 18:48

Bump

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 10 Sep 2019 20:52

Really enjoying meditation this time round, I'm only meditating for a short time but I hope to build up, and I've been doing it every day religiously, sometimes twice a day, how's everyone else doing xx

Winkler

Post by Winkler » 10 Sep 2019 22:46

O I’m really pleased you’re doing the daily thing and enjoying it Ruby, me too!
Last couple of days I’ve done guided meditations on following the breath and although useful, I’m looking forward to just sitting and doing it tomorrow
There’s so many resources and so much info about meditation out there, I think I’m in danger of reading about it and being told about it more than actually doing it, nice and quiet :D
So 20 mins is what I set the timer for (insight timer) and best time for me is before breakfast.
I was planning to do 10 mins at work here and there too - still a plan atm tho!
Are u still on your hols?

Cowboy
First Sober Date: 01 Sep 2018

Post by Cowboy » 11 Sep 2019 02:02

Just listened to a really good TED talk by Shauna Shapira. Very interesting science on how mindfulness works.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Winkler

Post by Winkler » 11 Sep 2019 17:56

Do you dabble on the old cushion yourself, Mr Cowboy? :)

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 11 Sep 2019 20:29

Winkler wrote:
10 Sep 2019 22:46
O I’m really pleased you’re doing the daily thing and enjoying it Ruby, me too!
Last couple of days I’ve done guided meditations on following the breath and although useful, I’m looking forward to just sitting and doing it tomorrow
There’s so many resources and so much info about meditation out there, I think I’m in danger of reading about it and being told about it more than actually doing it, nice and quiet :D
So 20 mins is what I set the timer for (insight timer) and best time for me is before breakfast.
I was planning to do 10 mins at work here and there too - still a plan atm tho!
Are u still on your hols?
Fed up with this internet, lost my post, the gist of it was I prefer counting the breaths and I'm just back my holidays today. :mrgreen: