Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2030
First Sober Date: 0- 0-2030

Re: The To Do List

Post by DannyD » 30 Nov 2019 05:51

Morning. It's early, but it's morning.

Last night I admitted defeat at10.30 and went to bed. I have a groaning house full of two grown up daughters, two titchy (but LOUD) little people, and one son in law (I think. His coat is downstairs.). One of the old school friends was visiting as well when I caved in. Think she's gone home.

To do
Hugs <:)> for Pickles
Hugs (from a distance) <:)> for Rachel. Hope you find your back up soon. What about making a note on your phone? "The back up has been placed in a plastic bag and hidden in the cistern of the toilet in the en suite to the third bedroom on the right"
Work. I'm getting up any minute now. Shower. Feed myself and animals.
Dress
Leave for work, to start at 8. Don't forget to take lunch. It's going to be a looong day.
Get home about 8, to find grown up daughters have gone out, and dad trying to cope with two under 3s.
Might cook a gammon. Might not. Might be plain exhausted by then.

Have a good day y'all
Last edited by DannyD on 30 Nov 2019 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
be selfish in your sobriety.

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC » 30 Nov 2019 06:34

Morning Peeps

Been awake since 3am, insomnia or just chilly in bed? I don't know

To Do
Popping out for breakfast with Wifey then I'm back home for home alone, need to get out in the garden and do some more protecting of my tender palms and such like.
Feed animals
Cook myself dinner tonight
Terrible events in London again, my heart goes out to all affected, brave public tackling knife man.

Take Care Besties
JC
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 30 Nov 2019 10:28

Stop smoking 🚬 and drinking

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 30 Nov 2019 12:03

Oh dear, John. Have you tried the warm milk thing? I know it sounds like the sort of thing one's mother says and one thus disregards (in my case) but it really works for me. It's rendered more palatable with the addition of nutmeg.

Alas warm milk and Nytol disallowed for me at the moment.

Spats <:)> one at a time though? Booze first? In rehab, they discouraged people from smoking - there is a term for it, when one addiction keeps alive the neural pathways (?) that enable the other addiction - ah cross addiction? - but they were not too strict. less pronounced affect that with 'stronger substance', I suppose, plus it was the only source of comfort in there. In fact, everyone smoked like troopers in breaks between group sessions.

Still feeling very delicate and weak. I had two cream crackers last night, but made me feel a little ill, so wary today.

I am not doign much, but have put on washing load no.1 (decontamination load.)
need to put on bedding. I want clean bedding.
I have also given the cats flea treatment (I hate doing this but don't trust OH after the one time he did it and Lily foamed at the mouth. He almost jeopordized it this time by being 'obvious'. The cats always sense what's coming unless you are subtle in your pre-application behaviour. He was the opposite of subtle :) )

Thanks Danny. I actually said, as we got into the car to dash up north, 'I should make a note of where I put it' (w) New one arrived today in post so restarting the lengthy process. I should have two back ups, so hopefully the other one will turn up.

Mother is to be discharged today. Apparently, she is not happy about it as self-toileting is still an issue.

I hoep everyone is having a good day.
Rachel

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 30 Nov 2019 20:16

Thanks Danny <:)> , I did titter at your post about who’s who in the house,if they are there / are they there ..sounds like family Christmas season has already started :) . I hope your day went well, sounds exhausting. Gammon though ;)? ...although I’ve just been saying to someone I’ve been cutting back on meat lately . Most of this week has been non meat , sandwiches are usually cheese spread . Not forcing it down daughters throat ,but I’m having a go . OH seems surprised. It might only last till new year,but then New Years resolutions... the usual are the same for the last 7 years . Let’s try something new !

Do you like Horlicks John ? Hot chocolate?

Rachel, that’s very disturbingly quick of the hospital to discharge your mother . I hope they know what they are doing . My 94 ‘stepfather ‘ stayed till he was ok enough to go home , although they were quite keen to get him home early . Trouble was he’d had have to have a new bed put in at his home . All complicated ,but he did stay in an extra few days . Hope you are ok .

Aj, how was your day ? I’d best check in a cake in a moment. We got our Christmas tree ,but it’s outside. OH is busy tomorrow and daughter and I have plans with younger dog .

Spats ..when I was in rehab , people were allowed to smoke :/ , also during breaks in aa meetings . I guess it varies . It will be ok, as Rachel says ,one at a time .

Hope Londoners are not too shook up after yesterday’s shock .
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 30 Nov 2019 20:39

To do
Done
0800 -1810. I did get 30 minutes to eat lunch, but it's been a long work day. And then it slowly sank in that there was a post show function that needed staffing. By then we were all on an early Saturday night. So management is working the late shift. I was asked if I could stay on ....

To do.
My girlies have gone out leaving me home with son in law and children. He's exhausted and gone to bed. Children have had a wonderful day at a theme park, and also gone to bed. The house sleeps. Bed for me too then.

Thanks Pickles. I think this is a hotel this weekend

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 01 Dec 2019 12:34

Hiya Besties

It's going to be minus -4 in Birmingham tonight ❄⛄☃️☃️

I slept great last night, I had an extra sheet on my bed so I was a bit warmer and it did the trick, it's such a fine line for me from being too cold or too hot in bed and it's all to do with how cold the night is going to be I'm sure, I really need to watch the evening weather forecast and put one extra sheet on or take one off.

To Done
Up washed shaved and dressed
Cappuccino
We've been to the pub for a veggie fry-up and coffees

To Do
Feed animals
Get out in garden and wrap/protect my tender plants,
Tend my house plants, re-pot some cacti
Sit with poorly neighbour
Have dinner
Chill, literally
Bed

Have a great Sunday Besties
JC

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 01 Dec 2019 22:18

Well they are short of beds, Pickles. And (according to my mother...) there is a Noro Virus outbreak in Sheffield at the moment. She was put onto the general ward for a bit before being discharged and will probably be complaining about this for the next week. All those old people with dementia... (w) She is back to her usual snobby self :( (She had had a room of her own due to the highly contagious nature of the Noro Virus.) She went home today, in the end.
She does get a lot of help at home. The mian thing was that she needed to be able to stand to turn round (on the spot) to sit on her commode. She seems able to do this. (I hope she can get out of bed alright to do the same.)
I went out for lunch today. It was exhausting, but I felt better for it. I had had a very small dinner (200 cals?) last night but apart from that nothing since Wednesday evening.
I might have a Horlicks! It's my new thing.

Glad the extra sheet worked, John. I hope it's not that cold here tongiht. I've still not put fleece around my more delicate plants.
Rachel

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 02 Dec 2019 11:34

Rachel wrote:
01 Dec 2019 22:18
I might have a Horlicks! It's my new thing.
Mine too! Even though the coffee I'd been drinking was decaf, it still wasn't a great thing to be drinking before bed (I guess it's diuretic?). Horlicks is perfect, though, especially on these cold evenings.

<:)> <:)> to all. Apologies for being so quiet recently (or perhaps that's a good thing...?). I've been reading everyone's posts but not finding time to reply. I'm doing a lot of overtime at the shop at the moment - grabbing all the extra shifts I can. Most are a full nine-hours. Oddly (given that the shop will be even busier), this will probably quieten down in a couple of weeks, when the student staff begin their holidays and start asking for OT.

I hope everyone's day is going well ;)? <:)>
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 02 Dec 2019 13:22

Senior daughter is driving home.

Junior daughter with husband and 'babies' have gone out.

The morning has been hectic (I had to play with the littlies).

To do
Recover
Bus to shop
Shop
Bus home
Cook a meal?

Or maybe do nothing?

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 02 Dec 2019 16:47

Jjj I think it may be down to you mentioning it!

A bit late for a to do list. Alas 'go on night photography course in the City' would no longer be on it. Not sure if i will get a refund, but really not up to it, physically. I was booked onto the same course last year and had to cancel due to illness too. I am fated...!
I did book myself onto a photographing people coures for Feb though. It's a six weeker and covers studio, street and informal portraiture. I suspect the most challenging aspect of it will be dealing with people.
I want to make some roast butternut squash with sage and Italian cheeses tonight, but not sure if i will.
I ought to put some jackets on my more tender plants outside.
Beyond that just ringing my mother :shock:
Rachel

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 02 Dec 2019 20:28

Rachel wrote:
02 Dec 2019 16:47
Jjj I think it may be down to you mentioning it!
Oh, that's good! ;)?

I hope your phone call goes well <:)>
DannyD wrote:
02 Dec 2019 13:22
Or maybe do nothing?
Doing nothing would help with your to-do item to recover, D! I hope you have a relaxing evening <:)>

To do:
Finish final tea break
Run waste reports
Bin waste
Fill the pies section
Go home
Eat?
Horlicks (no question mark required for that tonight)
Sleep

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 02 Dec 2019 21:59

Hiya Besties

Yes, you can't beat an extra sheet sometimes.

I understand you're not getting around to putting jackets on your plants yet Rachel, it's such a fiddly time consuming chore, I had a mad 2 hours of wrapping plants after we came back from our veggie fry-up at the pub because I arranged to sit with my poorly neighbour from 3pm but I was pleased with getting them wrapped because it was proper cold last night.

Busy time of the year for you Mark, do the management make the staff wear Christmassy outfits?, get your overtime requests in early before the seasonal staff arrive 💰💰💰

We're off to Walsall for a half day tomoz, there's a Wetherspoons there, hope it's good, by the way y'all

CLAIM TO FAME ALERT!!!!!
2 weeks ago Wifey and Moi we were in the Acorn, a Wetherspoons pub in Lichfield and who should be in there visiting? None other than Tim Martin himself, the owner of JD Wetherspoons pubs, he walked past Wifey and Moi and I called out and he stopped and said hello to us and we shook his hand and had a brief chat, he's a really nice fellow.

To Do
Brush teeth and get to bed

Night all
JC

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 02 Dec 2019 22:13

John I nipped out to pick some sage this evening, and put 3 jackets on my potted dahlias. I had bought some ready made jackets in an online sale. Not as cheap as bubble wrap, but bubble wrap would have been a mare to get home and not been around to go out and buy any in the car for weeks. I noticed that these are, essentially, bubble wrap with a nylon outer layer, and they have a draw string.
I have some horticultural fleece (er jackets. Jumpers?!) to put on my artichokes. May do that tomorrow.
One bubble wrap anorak left which may go on the Mimosa.

Well done on your spot in Wetherspoons!
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 03 Dec 2019 04:38

Morning

Senior daughter got home safely. I do still worry about my girlies driving back and forth. These days of mobiles are so comforting. My mum must have had nightmares. I used to drive from Norfolk to Wales to Southampton to Cornwall. If I was tired I'd pull over, climb into the back seat and go to sleep. I would know where I was. But to all intents and purposes, I hadn't arrived anywhere.

I haven't wrapped up any plants, but those jackets sound just the thing Rachel. It was very cold yesterday. I walked the dog across the park where the grass was still frosted white in mid afternoon.

To do
Awake for a loo break
Back to sleep
Junior daughter and two littlies are still here. I'm trying to talk her into letting them go for a toddler taster session in a local riding school. 'Walkers rather than crawlers' says their blurb. I think they would both enjoy it.
Otherwise, my day is empty. Except for getting all clothes washed and dry. Emptying and filling the aga. Cleaning floors after wet dog. Cooking and washing up. Just a regular empty day.

Jjjj I hope you're still getting proof reading to do as well. Though I'm not sure you'd have time to do any.

John someone recently suggested that 'Spoons were all full of leave voters. ....

Have a good day y'all

aj

Post by aj » 03 Dec 2019 08:20

Hello to all, yes I am back after a lovely time in Bath, feeling very festive. It was horrendously busy, but we ice skated, played mini golf, eat lots of food and just did all those things that are ‘nice to do. Fun.

Although the 8+ train ride home was long 😞

Danny it sounds busy in your house, it must be nice to come home from work and have your family there, although I also know that when you’re used to your own space it takes a little getting used to.
Rachel are you feeling any better, what about Mum?
Jjjj good to see you are well albeit busy
John, I have been in a Wetherspoon’s once and that was when one opened in the town I used to live, it was probably 20+ years ago. Weirdly as a problem drinker I never went out at all.

A nice little story, the Airbnb I stayed at was owned by a nice young girl, we ended up as you do talking about books and writing, it turned out she used to work for a publisher. Anyway she’d helped on a book about writing, told me it would be the perfect book for me, and as I left presented me with a copy 😁 and I have to say after reading a few chapters it really is the ideal book for me.

Hi Pickles

Have a good day everyone.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 03 Dec 2019 10:28

Morning!
aj wrote:
03 Dec 2019 08:20
A nice little story, the Airbnb I stayed at was owned by a nice young girl, we ended up as you do talking about books and writing, it turned out she used to work for a publisher. Anyway she’d helped on a book about writing, told me it would be the perfect book for me, and as I left presented me with a copy and I have to say after reading a few chapters it really is the ideal book for me.
Aww, that sounds great, AJ! And I'm glad you had a good time away :D I'd love to know what the book is called.
DannyD wrote:
03 Dec 2019 04:38
Jjjj I hope you're still getting proof reading to do as well. Though I'm not sure you'd have time to do any.
I had a job out of the blue, last week, D. It was difficult to fit it in around everything else, but I was grateful for it and it wasn't a very long job, just a short booklet.

I'm glad your eldest daughter got home safely. I worry too when family and friends are on the road <:)>
DannyD wrote:
03 Dec 2019 04:38
John someone recently suggested that 'Spoons were all full of leave voters.
I know that Mr Martin is a Leaver, but then so are vast swathes of England and Wales. Each to their own (he says through gritted teeth... ;) ). Our (Scottish) town was hugely Remain, but I see our local 'Spoons is still busy.
JohnC wrote:
02 Dec 2019 21:59
CLAIM TO FAME ALERT!!!!!
2 weeks ago Wifey and Moi we were in the Acorn, a Wetherspoons pub in Lichfield and who should be in there visiting? None other than Tim Martin himself, the owner of JD Wetherspoons pubs, he walked past Wifey and Moi and I called out and he stopped and said hello to us and we shook his hand and had a brief chat, he's a really nice fellow.
Excellent, John! :D I'm glad you got to meet him and I'm also glad that he was pleasant company!

To do:
Another day, another 1-10pm shift. But first...
1) Wish a couple of friends happy birthday on FB
2) Make sandwiches (cheese and mayo)
3) Shower
4) Check the weather for this week - I'm planning a long(ish) hill walk for Thursday or Friday
5) Head into work

I hope everyone's day goes well ;)?

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 03 Dec 2019 10:51

JohnC wrote:
02 Dec 2019 21:59
Busy time of the year for you Mark, do the management make the staff wear Christmassy outfits?
I forgot to reply to this earlier, sorry, John, but we are now allowed to wear Christmas jumpers to to work. Unfortunately (or thankfully, depending on your viewpoint), I don't own a Christmas jumper so I can't join in. I will admit that the others look good in them, though :)

More annoyingly, we now have the store's Christmas CD playing for most of the day. Hearing Johnny Mathis sing When A Child Is Born up to seven times a shift does not add to my sense of festive jollity :evil:

I will say this, though - I never ever get tired of this one, for some reason :D

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 03 Dec 2019 15:02

Jjjj of Old wrote:
03 Dec 2019 10:51

I will say this, though - I never ever get tired of this one, for some reason :D
Silent scream.

Took the grand children to Tiny Tots on teeny horses this morning. £15,00/ hour. They groom horses, they play on toddler slides and stuff, and when it's their turn, they ride the pony. Grand daughter loved it. Said one word. Faster. Grandson also said one word. Off.

And I've been shopping busy. Different shops, trying (and failing) to find Christmas hole punches or stamps for Les petites.

To do
I've had (excellent, home made) pea and ham soup.
Sleep .... I love the little people, but they keep very unrealistic hours.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 03 Dec 2019 17:12

I'd be (was) with your grnadson on that one, except I cried. Loudly. (Aged about 8?)
Rachel