Insomnia/Sleeplessness

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Re: Insomnia/Sleeplessness

Post by Bluebottle »

Last time I go to Jim's for a good night's sleep, his ex woke me up about 4am, pissed as usual. :twisted:

Sweet dreams guys.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Hope you can get some rest today Moira and sleep better tonight <:)>

Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Been getting some bad insomnia this week, 3am is average. The more stressed I get about it the less I sleep. Wish I could sleep like a baby. :mrgreen:

Anybody still up?
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Spats

Post by Spats »

If I can’t sleep tonight Ruby I’ll come on here ;)?

Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Spats wrote:
11 Jan 2020 20:32
If I can’t sleep tonight Ruby I’ll come on here ;)?
Cheers spats, I'm going have to make myself get up early so I'm tired at night.

Ruby xx
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

I had about ten days of 2-3amers after Christmas, but been ok since I went back to work??!! I think I was going to bed too late. If it's after midnight, it's an issue. Alas it's 23.42 now :o May take some warm milk up to bed with me.
Rachel

Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Sweet dreams Rachel, hope you manage to get a good night's sleep. I might try some milk too.
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Spats

Post by Spats »

Hope you got a goo night sleep last night

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ »

Hi all sleepies (or sleeplesses as the case may be) :lol2:

Cowboy - thanks for your suggestion re melatonin. It is not available OTC where I live (neither is 5-HTP), My doc prescribed me a course of Circadin (which is Melatonin-based) - and I took it religiously for about 2 months, but I didn't notice any difference. It helped me feel sleepy - but I woke up after an hour and a half - and then the same old... It's not the getting to sleep bit that's been the hardest, it's staying asleep. The Circadin isn't on the subsidised medicine list and was really expensive.

I've tried a sleep-course (an online one issued by the national medicine board. Strict routines, same bedtime every night. No tossing and turning in bed - get up after 15 mins, potter about - go back to bed. Get up at the same time, no "catch-up" naps or lie-ins to compensate. But it's like my body just reset itself every bedtime, no matter how little sleep I've had. Then sooner or later I'd get sick - a bad flu or something, with fever - and then have to spend days in bed. Then rinse and repeat.

I've tried all the you-tube guided meditation offerings, and sometimes they work but mostly not. I need to focus more, but my mind is whirring all the time.

My doc won't give me any more sleeping pills - he slipped me 6 pills last time I got sick - and told me this was strictly a temporary fix. Anyway they gave me such hangovers - worse than anything whisky would produce and in fact not half as effective... groan... This insomnia, I admit, has been the cause of many a relapse - the "one little" medicinal bottle that turns into a major bender that turns into a 2-month long period of doing nothing but dragging myself to work and drinking as soon as I got home (or combining the two at home...).

I really don't want to use the time on yet more trips to the doc, and begging to be on a waiting list for a sleep clinic, then going through all the tests. I know it's in my head.
The past 6-7 years have been highly traumatic and no drug (including alcohol) can solve it. I don't need tests to know that it's the stuff going round in my head that's the problem. I've been drinking to combat this, but it's really time to tackle it face-on. When I do sleep, I have these really vivid and quite often bizarre dreams - but they carry a vert strong message. I am always late, grabbing at stuff just beyond my reach, on vehicles hurtling out of control, running around with bags stuffed full of junk but not finding what I need. Always being dressed inappropriately (or not at all) - and always, always with this sense of panic - rootling around looking for stuff I can't find, in a huge overflowing place of objects (which I recognise as being the contents of my garage, junk-room, barn etc).

I know what this means. My life got out of control. In RL, I'm always losing stuff and not able to remember what I did with things, where I put stuff etc. I'm drowning in major and (too-expensive) DIY projects needing done, and the lack thereof is spoiling our life quality in our house. And so I drank to block it out for a bit - take the edge off - but I only ended up making it worse (I could have bought building materials instead of more booze, but then due to the pressures of work, I don't have the time to do it - so I drank and then hey, ho, round we go again, each cycle getting worse).

So - I believe the root of most insomnia (unless it's a medical condition) is a fundamental unease in life. And unease in life is only made worse by our knee-jerk "have a drink" reaction. We can't create/recreate ease in life unless there is a sufficient distance between our life and alcohol abuse.

So, it's back again to the obvious for me. I've had phases of quite serious sh*t in my life, each of which accompanied by chronic insomnia beyond help from any kind of pills or therapy. The insomnia went once I sorted the major issues.

So, the root of it all is Life Improvement.
Get rid of the physical and mental clutter and get things a bit organised - also physically and mentally.

See you all on the Life Improvement Workshop, then?

(sorry for the long ramble but I don't like to put anything about alcohol problems in my physical diary because at some time, someone may read it or have it in their possession, and although my kids are painfully aware of my issues, they don't like talking about it, so being able to offload here is extremely helpful for me - after all, peeps can choose whether or not to read long posts ;)
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

Winkler
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2019

Post by Winkler »

Hi Luna
I’m so sorry about your insomnia, I too have suffered with it badly from time to time and even now when I am sleeping well, 6 hours is a long sleep for me - any less than that though and life becomes hard

The teacher of the short u tube yoga class I do daily (kassandra), tells you a daily mantra to repeat to yourself throughout the day - today it was ‘my healing is already In process’ and I thought of you - perhaps it may help you :)

I never found those ‘sleep hygiene’ rules particularly helpful. If I am tired and able to, I will nap in the day. I find it refreshing. Any sleep anytime is good when you’re sleep deprived, I think. ;)?
Truth waits for eyes unclouded by longing - Lao Tzu

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Hi Winkler,
Ah thank you, yes I ditched that online course after a couple of weeks. Also, although those drugs I got last time (Imovane - I was given 6 tablets only) helped a bit, the side-effects outweighed the benefits (and I know they are highly addictive so someone like me should steer clear). Once I was in hospital I was so stressed out that they gave me a huge dose (nurse said enough to knock out an elephant) - but by 2am I was apparently retrieved from wandering the corridors muttering to myself. So, for me, this is a head-thing. And I know it's a bunch of trauma that needs to be laid to rest.

I love your mantra - I certainly will adopt it too (then I will think of you) <:)>
Because all this IS about healing.

No-one becomes an alcoholic by choice. It happens and it starts for various reasons - and then it becomes a force stronger than we realise, sooner than we can avert it.

Thanks again, Winkler - and I hope you're doing fine today :-)

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life »

Morning all, Luna I very much resonated with your post regarding sleep, I too since ( and obviously before) I gave up the booze endure / have erratic sleep patterns, as Winkler says 6 hours is fine, am lucky to achieve this.
Last night I was up at three had a cuppa just trying to get horrible dreams out of my head, they sometimes make sense , I guess but they are often a complete jumble and often rooted in fear , things just out of reach that I can’t do but need too ,at times when dreaming I feel almost paralysed can’t dial that number to get me help, just awful tbh, a happy dream I don’t believe I’ve ever had?
I have my fan on all night I like the low sound it makes, I like the breeze, also I have got myself Alexa and on that I mostly listen to sounds of the ocean, or heavy rain, idk if it helps but I try anything.
After a rare good nights sleep you feel so much better don’t you? More able to face and deal with the day.
Anyway, just popping in to say hello, mainly cos I feel these days, I’m taking more than I’m giving re support, I’m sorry about that I will try to work on this. <:)>
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans »

Blooming eck Lushie, I’ve just been posting about my poor sleep. I was awake so much last night. Hope you are ok my lovely and ready to embrace the day 💤 😢
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life »

Leslans wrote:
11 Aug 2020 07:41
Blooming eck Lushie, I’ve just been posting about my poor sleep. I was awake so much last night. Hope you are ok my lovely and ready to embrace the day 💤 😢
Am good cheers, although I got phone consultation with solicitor today, just to be prepared for what's coming 8-)
So my stomach doing a few flips ATM.
I hope I can talk very fast £99.00 per hour :?
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans »

So could I Lushie <:)> <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Right now I am desperate.

I get to sleep ok but wake up about 2 hours after then tossing and turning the rest of the night. So 06... then I sleep but the alarm goes off 0630. Shit.

Tomorrow I need to get up really early - so now I cant sleep at all. Alarm set for 0330 - but I'm wide awake.

Should I get up again and do the early morning stuff now - lunch pack etc - or just lie wide-eyed and take it. But then I may be dozy tomorrow.. And I need to be alert tomorrow.

Oh dear....

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Luna <:)>

Sorry, I don’t get too many sleepless nights like that, so I don’t have any great suggestions.

I hope you got some rest, and that your day is going well enough. Hope to see you check in later :-)
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

They always say milk can help :

“Having a glass of warm milk before bed is a tradition that's been passed down through generations as a way to cultivate relaxation, relieve anxiety, and facilitate a more restful night's sleep. Although many people swear by this practice, others say it's nothing more than folklore.”

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dr ... before-bed
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Luna, I know that pattern! If it's just a night or two then tough it out - sometimes it helps to get up and do something (nothing that's going to wake you up too much, but yes making lunch or reading for a bit) then go back to bed. If you're in bed and can't sleep don't stress about it, worry about not sleeping or "try" to sleep - focus on rest and relaxation instead. If you're worrying about things then writing out a list and telling yourself you'll work through it tomorrow can help get it off your mind. If you're stuck in this pattern for weeks or months, as I was, then my solution was short term sleeping pills, just for a few days and enough to break the pattern.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Thanks, Trojan, Pickles and SB <:)>

It's been going on like this since 2016. I don't know if it was my major surgery and ensuing permanent reduction in function in my arms and right hand (this was and still is a bit traumatic) or if it was because my ex decided that the week before my major and urgent surgery was a good time to dump me, move out and (I later fond out) take up with another woman.

Anyway - it has been a long-term thing, and I do sometimes wish for some meds for a short-term fix, just sometimes, to let my body catch up. But doc won't prescribe them. So I do sometimes use travel-sickness pills or anti-histamines, but they give such a bad hangover the next day, it's almost as bad as being sleep-deprived..

However - I thought I'd mention this. I was on a boat yesterday. It was a long day. and as usual I had been rolling around in bed half the night (periodically getting up etc). But when we were finished, the skipper saw I y practically falling asleep on my feet - and he said I could go into his tiny little cabin, tucked at the back of the wheelhouse, just big enough for a bunk bed. It was just the right amount of rocking and the motor makes these vibrations and hypnotic noise. Next thing I knew we were back on quay!!

It seems to have pressed a reset button - because when I got home, quite late, I just cleared up the stuff from the car, took care of things that would be smelly if left overnight - and went to bed. Once more - next thing I knew someone was calling my phone in the morning.

Oh absolute bliss - I've been in a bit of a haze today - but I have a feeling my body will sleep tonight too. I really really need it. Stuff that expensive sleep clinic I was considering - maybe I should just ask those boat guys if I can hitch-hike on some of their jobs sometime - just to sleep :lol: The skipper is a nice young lad (it's his company and his boat) - and he was joking that this in fact was the first time in years he had a lady in his bunk (except his wife once - it's tradition here that boats must be "christened" in the appropriate manner when they either are new or change hands). Hahaha!! :oops:

Me very happy right now ;)?