The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Re: The To Do List

Post by serend »

hi all,
good news, test for son came back negative for Covid (an impressive 12 hours from test to result from NHS), he's still not well but glad we don't need to worry about others catching it. Just giving paracetamol and plenty fluids and rest and hopefully he will back to normal soon. I guess other bugs rearing their heads now we are mixing a bit again.
Rachel are you set up properly for working on the computer? I had a frozen shoulder as well a few years ago and tried everything possible to fix it. Eventually it was trigger point therapy that did the trick, we are the first generation to have spent so much time hunched over the way we do and I think are now seeing the effects in the large number of people suffering from this type of thing. Shoulder is such a complex area and really quite difficult even for professionals to pinpoint exactly where and what the issue is. Happy to help if I can? though would recommend having a look at the frozen shoulder workbook by Clair Davies to see if that is actually what the issue is
Up too late again as usual !
Night all
Last edited by serend on 14 Apr 2021 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

So glad your son’s test came back all ok serend \:)/ ! Hope you all managed to rest now . But still hope he is better soon .

Hi Luna the ‘hmmph’ I tapped down was saying about my dog who has issues with teeth being cleaned and being washed . She usually runs off after I’ve cleaned her , starts sneezing and gives me these ‘eye’ looks :lol: . She peed quite a bit yesterday in the house even after sending her outside and taking her for a walk . If it carries on I should take her for a check up . She is 11 after all but full of energy for a maltese.

I have to say too that with this anti hormone medication my mood swings up and down , the side effects can be painful on the joints and headaches, fatigue, so I am part of this as well and of course lockdown hasn’t made it easier for anyone.At least I don’t have to have injections anymore. That was really also when things are lifted and we can travel , say my mother may need looking after then I don’t need to worry about monthly injections.

What with sorting daughter with her woes , well she has hospital school today so that’s something. Yesterday she did help me with the seedlings, so I’m hoping everything will work out there . She took junior out and I raked the gravel on the drive .. with the neighbour walking past saying ‘ make it tidy ... ‘ How do you make gravel look tidy ... anyway got most of the weeds from there out . Hope to do a bit later after D’s school. Made supper , if wasn’t too bad . Today is meant to be warmer.

OH found a tray to put pots on , I had been using paper ( oops) I’m hoping his day is a bit better .. nothing like a bad meeting for him that sets him in a bad mood ( that’s the ones where he has to be bright and breezy ) I just wish he would clean his office!

Thank good ness for nice weather !

Action , Danny, Rachel hope it’s a good day too 👍
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Late morning everyone.

Serend that test result was quick. Mine have taken two days or more. When I (think) had Covid, I never got tested. They wanted me to travel miles, and quite frankly I wasn't well enough to do anything. Just stayed in bed for a few days. And I didn't have it badly. Maybe it's flu? Paracetamol, fluids and bed.

Rachel my left shoulder is sometimes a stabbing pain, sometimes an ache and sometimes painless. I haven't physically seen anyone about it. Physio sent me an email with exercises, but it's all so small I can't read it. If I can find it, I could send it on to you if you're interested. I tend to do sort of stretching out exercises - and try not to sleep on my left. Might the finger pins and needles be carpel tunnel? You can get wrist supports for help with that, but make sure they're proper support for carpel tunnel, not just any old wrist support.

Gosh Pickles. Monthly injections. How painful. Difficult to stay positive and happy when you're in pain.

Every post brings a new Bill. I'm up to about £700 at the moment. Deep breath. Not impossible, but not fun. I spent the day with my big girl yesterday : fuel for the car, fuel for us, favourite farm shop browse = minimum card spend over £120. It's going out faster than a power shower.

To do today
Grit the teeth and face up to those bills. They won't go away.

Waving. \:)/
be selfish in your sobriety.

Action

Post by Action »

Hi All,

My goodness its been busy here!

Danny, how lovely for you to catch up with your daughter, it must have been wonderful after all this time and worth the spend! I know what you mean about money ... I've been sober for nearly 7 months now and I have absolutely no evidence of this financially. I have saved over £1,500 and I'm still chasing my tail when it comes to my bank balance! But, on the positive side I do have some new flooring I guess.

I'm sorry to hear about the poorly shoulders! It is awful when pain actually wakes you at night. Problem is , I find, once I'm awake its impossible to go back to sleep as my mind is completely focused on the discomfort. It appears I've recently developed Sciatica, which seems to rear its head in the evening, usually when I've been standing in the kitchen for a bit cooking dinner! Thank goodness it usually dissipates after I have sat down on the sofa for a while. I read that it is common for people with scoliosis to develop Sciatica ... joy. :roll:

Good to hear that the foundation for the greenhouse is complete Rachel. You sound much more positive now, things were certainly stacking up for you what with work, your OH, your mum, the garden and dear Basil. Can you freeze rhubarb? Sorry if I have asked you that already. Would a sling help your shoulder Rachel? I wonder if you could take the strain off it maybe, to rest it occasionally. I'm sure lugging, what was it, 20 bags of compost couldn't have helped. You sound very determined. <:)>

Luna, Oh my god - wonder woman! Your son's bedroom project sounds very exciting. It's a shame that he is not more engaged in it. Do you know what he would like at all or is it all down to you? I'm so sorry to hear about your ex and his treatment of you. That must have gone very deep with you. My relationship with my partner was in a very bad way when I went into major surgery (similar area to yours) years ago. I was in intensive care and convinced he was going to desert me. I actually thought that the nurses were talking about it. I was very relieved to see him walk through the door. Its a bit like the film Sliding Doors ... what would have happened if he hadn't. I wouldn't be in the situation I am now for one thing! Life is an odd thing.

Pickles, sorry to hear about the side effects of your anti hormone medication. Do you have to take anything to protect your bones? My missy doesn't like the hoover at all. When I first turn it on she attacks it but she does eventually leave it alone once I've said 'no', or 'leave it', a few times, turning it off and on accordingly. I hate hoovering as it is, without that additional hassle. Today I was able to hoover in peace as partner took her out this morning. I chuckled when I read you closing the doors to shut out the noise from your husbands meetings. I do the same when my partner (who is a deaf old git although he won't admit it) comes in and has the radio up loud (he listens to a different station to me naturally) when I'm somewhere else in the house and it interferes with what ever I'm listening to. Good to hear that your daughter is somewhat resilient to your OH's outbursts. <:)>

Serend, good news that your son doesn't have Covid - what a relief! I wonder what it is... It's not really flu season is it but quite rightly we haven't been mixing so I guess we are all more vulnerable to bugs. I've just ordered some of the Rapid Tests ...don't really know why but my neighbour got some and we agreed it was a good idea to have some in reserve.

Well, I've had a shitty couple of days. My partner (as expected as he was in charge of his meds - demanded to be) ran out TWO WEEKS EARLY. I have tried so long to help him manage them but he started to get a bit aggressive about me withholding them if he wanted them so I gave him the lot and told him to get on with it. So consequently he spent Monday withdrawing ... in bed, feeling sick, diarrhoea, shivering, etc, etc. I agreed to phone the Dr and demanded that he tell the Dr that he needed help. The Dr has just put him on weekly meds but hasn't offered any more support but has agreed to see him the week after next. Of course my partner was all weak and promised the world on Monday but by yesterday evening he was back in his man cave and demanding (yes, I'm back in charge) his daily dose in one go - instead of throughout the day as prescribed. So, he's still here at the moment. I am biding my time though. This is really tough and I worry about coping in the future without him in the future but I've run out of sympathy for him now. I actually had the courage to talk to a friend about it the other day - I haven't divulged any of this to anyone in RL before.

Oops - I've been rabbiting on and I've got to go out. I'm catching up with the sister of my friend who died recently. Looking forward to it.

Big love to you guys! <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

Gosh there's quite a lot to catch up on. Will reply in more detail later.

<:)> Action. Sorry you are having such a difficult time.

I am in a bit of a state of unrest. Mother has been taken into hospital - probably nothing very serious but... meanwhile the ambulance man said the house smelled strongly of gas. I have rung the emergency gas line and liaised with her neighbours to let them in. I have done all I can and feel powerless now.
Not sure how much work is going to get done today.

I have a lady coming round later to see if she is interested in doing some gardening for me. I was going to go and tidy the patio before the rain comes and while it's still warm and sunny, but I need to sit by the phone.
Rachel

pickles

Post by pickles »

Hi Action , I’m glad you are able to talk with someone in real life about your partner . It is a worry that he plays around with his medication, and with your mind it sounds like .
I do hope he will go to the doctor and that he will listen to him.
I hope your friend may be able to give some advice as well snd I hope things will get better. A worry on your health too . <:)>

Action , yes I take extra calcium tablets and vit D

Sorry too for the frozen shoulders . OH had treatment for his , it worked for a while .

Rachel I hope things are ok with your mother . Fingers crossed all will be well . Hope things go well with the garden interview.

Great you had a nice time Danny . Hope not too tired today .

Serend, how is your son today ?

Hi Luna 👋

Well we are meant to have someone coming to look at our blind today , but as it’s gone cold I wonder if they will turn up . Started doing some digging this morning whilst it was quite warm out . Watching the dogs too . We are keeping an extra eye on younger dog who gets up to mischief in the garden , but is also going a bit ‘ditzy’ . She’s sleeping now so that’s good .

Hope it’s a good afternoon .
Last edited by pickles on 16 Apr 2021 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Gas issue resolved, but they have kept my mother in. Apparently she is bleeding a lot.

Very worried indeed.
Rachel

Action

Post by Action »

Oh my goodness Rachel, how worrying for you. Do they have idea why she is bleeding...did she have a fall?
I think you can check hospital websites to see if they allow visitors, or what their restrictions are. Or probably just sit tight until you know more I guess. <:)> Thinking of you. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

It's when she goes to the loo. Not wee... My guess would be diverticulitis. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow.

The hospital allows one visitor a day for an hour by appointemnt. It has to be the same visitor each time. I don't drive, I don't want to use public transport, the hospital is on the opposite side of the city from her house... I think whether/when I visit will depend on what the verdict is - how serious they think it is. I am not fully vaccinated, and me getting covid would probably kill her off with the worry. As it is if I cough while talking over the phone to her, she gets into a panic! (Gosh I hope she doesn't get Covid...)

Sorry, a bit all over the place.
Last edited by Rachel on 16 Apr 2021 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

pickles

Post by pickles »

<:)> Rachel , I’m really sorry to read that . I hope they have managed to rest her this night , and she is a bit comfortable this morning. What a horrid time for you .

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Yes, very best wishes to you and your mother from me too, Rachel. I hope you hear of an improvement today <:)>

And <:)> to Action too, re your partner.

And <:)> to you all.
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Wow Pickles. Your house must feel like a pharmacy. You really do have to keep a timetable for everyone. I can't imagine what that was like when you were drinking as well. And you write that your OH drinks? Oh boy.

Rachel I hope that the medics are able to help your mum. Being so far away, and not being able to drive, must leave you feeling very helpless and frustrated.

I've woken up feeling today is the first day of the rest of my life. So,

To do
Eat healthily
STOP with all the chocolate.
Walk faster when I walk the dog.
Sew up my knitting.

Waving \:)/

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

A while back - probably about 15 years - my parents were both ill and I dashed up on the train. I had to go to the supermarket for them, and pick up their prescriptions. There were two plastic carriers' worth :o

I just rang re my mother. It sounds like she is no worse and also sounds like she is ok 'in herself' as they like to say. She has scans later. I am slightly relieved but now slightly anxious about husband too, whose appointment is apparently because he has suspected COPD. He has never smoked and spent all his adult working life in offices. I am in danger of a snowball effect here, feelings wise. I confess I could do with a bit of a cry. But I need to get on with work. And I don't enjoy crying, so...

I will definitely do something in the garden today. Something not too strenuous. It helps with anxiety.

Sorry, I forgot to say, I would be interested in exercises, Danny but only if they are easy to find. I think I really need to see a physio when I can. I am experimenting with more pillows, now. This has helped in the past. I think I have been a bit more comfortable the last few nights but will see how it goes. The pain is as much upper arm as actual shoulder.

Oh I also now officially have a very charming gardener (although she may not come herself, but I will get the same person each week.) I managed to off load a plant on her too :) She was really very nice.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Poor Rachel. With all this going on all around you, I'm not surprised you feel emotional. <:)> <:)>

Shoulder pain exercises (I think):

http://www.csp.org.uk/publications/shou ... -exercises

Or try this: https://bess.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ooklet.pdf

Action

Post by Action »

Hi Rachel,

I'm pleased that your mum is feeling okay in herself. That's half the battle isn't it.
If it turns out that your husband has COPD - if it is any help to you - it is a very manageable problem and there is a lot of research and awareness about it now. I don't have that but from experience there is so much support for it.

I find it difficult to cry too. I try and keep going and battle through. Sometimes though I need to as I feel like a pressure cooker about to explode. This might sound a bit odd but I find a simple 10 to 15 minute meditation really helps me 'let go'. Try it. Check out Goodful on You Tube. I particularly like their short meditations (Anxiety and Self Love) ... they help me to cry and I always feel so much better for doing so. I almost forget I'm doing a meditation and have a good purge! <:)>

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rITIXe-7yC
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Thanks all. I'm ok. Just very tired. Still no test restults for mother. Hospital decided hsuabdn probably doesn't have COPD. Phew. They are doing extensive allergy tests. Hope it's not the cats...
Rachel

Action

Post by Action »

That’s great news about your husband <:)> I’m so pleased. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it for him.
Sleep tight. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge

pickles

Post by pickles »

Wow Pickles. Your house must feel like a pharmacy. You really do have to keep a timetable for everyone. I can't imagine what that was like when you were drinking as well. And you write that your OH drinks? Oh boy.
Hi Danny, it’s not too bad . I hadn’t got cancer back then so wasn’t on treatment, medication. OH has to do his insulin himself but when he had breakdowns , it was difficult. He’s lost weight in lockdown and has cut down a lot on his drinking . He used to drink but not like I did . If he has a small vodka now , it makes him woozy . Daughter’s medication is more now , than before . She remembers when you take them although being a teen she likes her lie ins .

How was your mother’s night , Rachel . I hope she is comfortable and that you got some rest yourself.

Action , hope all ok . Luna, serend, hello to you .

We bought some wooden boxes to plant things in. I had to go back to the place with OH as they were too heavy to lift in the car . It eventually needed three people .

Very sad about Helen McCrory

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Morning

Yesterday I decided that it was the first day of the rest of my life - so was very gentle with myself (big decision after all. I might have been simply mentally deranged).

Today 9.30 and I've cooked for the dog's breakfast, given him his flea and worm pill, put a wash in the machine, had a shower (and cleaned out the shower drain. I've been watching Four in a Bed.), swept and washed floors - and had a hot drink.

To do
Get dressed. My hair is wet and now cold after the shower.
Hang out the washing.
Clean the lawns after dog
Cut the lawns
Plant some sweet peas - lawns might need edging where I want to plant.
Admire wisteria which should be budding up. I keep it as a shrub rather than a climber. Works well.
Walk le chien around the local pond
Shop for picnic bits for tomorrow.
Clean out fridge completely. Something smells, and I can't find it, so empty and start again.
Depending how I'm getting on, cook a healthy salmon salad type tea.

Have a good day y'all

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Everyone,

Danny, you sound like Wonder Woman with the wing beneath your wings! Have a great day but don’t wear yourself out. Make sure you take some time out to sit and enjoy the sunshine. <:)>

Are you planting your boxes today Pickles? Sounds like a good project. Yes, she was so young wasn’t she. I didn’t know of her, not being a Peaky Blinders or HP fan really but 52 is certainly no age is it. :cry: Reading through she certainly made the most of her life, and left a real legacy.

Rachel, hope your mum is okay and they are closer to establishing what is wrong. Thinking of you. <:)>

I’ve been busy ... Thursday afternoon I spent some time with the sister of my friend that died, helping her sort through bits in her house. Then had to mediate between my brother and mother who were about to start a huge fight. Managed to diffuse the situation. ;)? Yesterday afternoon I plucked up the courage to go to hospital for a blood test. It was like clockwork but I was SO anxious, I could hardly breath. I asked the nurse if I could sit for a few minutes to catch my breath before she took some blood, she was really sweet. I get so frustrated when anxiety just strips my breath from me. Anyway, that’s been on my list of things to do for well past a year so that’s a good job done.

It’s a beautiful day here so I am hoping to do something constructive in the garden. Partner is going home on Monday for the week so I’m hoping he will find it in himself to give me a hand in the garden for a bit. We are going to try and return to our previous routine where he stays at his for the week and visits at the weekend. Please god, that things continue to go in the right direction with the virus. I spent a bit of yesterday afternoon trying to work out exactly what is wrong with our relationship. Alright in theory but not so easy in practise as life is so complicated. Anyhow’s I think I have a better understanding of it and also what things that are missing from our relationship that I can gain through other areas of my life (through friendships, activities, support, etc).

Walk missy
Salad lunch with mackerel
Gardening
Brush/trim missy
Sort out printer
Defuzz legs (might get them out this summer :o)
Dinner
Relax

Have a good day ;)?
#38 on 2021 Challenge