Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Re: Meditation

Post by Lush4life »

Thanks to all for advice, I will try the breathing exercises , obviously I know claustrophobia is all in the mind but in the knowledge of that, it helps me not one bit.
I been ok ( she says) deep breath’s; literally ;)
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Lush4life

Post by Lush4life »

Lush4life wrote:
05 Dec 2020 08:16
Thanks to all for advice, I will try the breathing exercises , obviously I know claustrophobia is all in the mind but in the knowledge of that, it helps me not one bit.
I be ok ( she says) deep breath’s; literally ;)

Lush4life

Post by Lush4life »

Lush4life wrote:
05 Dec 2020 08:17
Lush4life wrote:
Oh for gods sake! I done it again! Posted twice , I’m sorry, idk how to delete? (w)

Lush4life

Post by Lush4life »

Lush4life wrote:
05 Dec 2020 08:23
Lush4life wrote:
05 Dec 2020 08:17
Lush4life wrote:
Oh for gods sake! I done it again! Posted twice , I’m sorry, idk how to delete? (w)
And worse, I quoted myself.
I go now :lol:

pickles

Post by pickles »

Hi L4L , I’ve been through that tunnel thing a few times . They usually give you a button to press on if you start to feel uneasy . Two people were with me , but during the tests they had to go out the room . You can see that they are on the other side of screen checking the computer , you, as you go in .

Half way they stopped, and asked if I was ok , and reminded me of the button to press . It is nerving at first I remember, and you feel a bit trapped , but if you manage to lift your head a little , you can still see your feet sticking out of the tunnel . I could hear sounds around me . In one of them I had headphones.

The last one , last December, the nurse was saying what they were checking ... “I’m just checking ......” for example . The time goes quite quickly and they usually are reassuring asking you if all alright, not too dizzy , to take a seat for a few minutes before you’re ready to go out of the room .

Yes it’s daunting and claustrophobic, but with reassurance ( and the bell/button ) you should be ok .

Lush4life

Post by Lush4life »

Thank you pickles, that is helpful , I hope all ok in your world x

Mountainhare
First Sober Date: 06 May 2012

Post by Mountainhare »

Kalimera! I’ve been slack with my meditations this week. Work has been so busy and full on and I’ve been tired and thus not made the effort to do them each morning and as the week has gone on I’ve become a bit niggley, slightly sorry for myself and a bit intolerant.

Thing is, my meditations are so important. My general sense of peace and wellbeing, my tolerance and level of understanding and compassion is dependent on my mood and my mood is influenced by the egotistical behaviours of ‘others’ that affect ‘me’ (ego me) Meditation takes me out of the mad world of humanity and slavery to ego to a place of stillness, a place beyond the ego, beyond the many personas we all wear each day, and in that place of stillness I find the true unchanging self, the real me, the me that is made from the stars, the me that is just one small part of the whole that makes up Gaia. The place that was before and which will remain after the ego has gone, and it is a great anchor and a great reference point to head out into the world from. It gives immunity from what I call the sickness of humanity - (human behaviours based on egotistical identification) mostly self-centredness and behaviours based on fear. In that place of stillness there is no self in the egotistical sense and there is no fear, or ‘other’, there is only love and a sense of oneness. And from there I can observe the world of ego and laugh at it rather than be irritated by it.

Meditation has shown me the truth, but it is a gift and a curse, and I ask myself, can no one else see the way humanity is living is all just, well, bullshit? Meditation is the vaccine to allow me to remain sober amongst the madness, but I need to take it often to stay out of self and ego and thus remain a free spirit and not become shackled to a life of egotistical conformity that I just cannot conform to.

In meditation I enter the stream of life and there let it flow and wash over me and let it take me to where I am meant to be without trying to control or force anything. That morning swim in the stream of life is so necessary for my ongoing peace and sobriety.

Anyway, just a few deep musings from my morning meditation that no one will probably get :D :D :D But that’s cool. I’m feeling the love today and typing stuff out reinforces my commitment to my new lifestyle.

Peace and love to anyone looking in.

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Post by serend »

Love this MH and I get it, it lets you take a step away from yourself and put things in context.

Just getting time to sit down and think but I noticed a few sub-conscious resentful niggly old thoughts this week (e.g. the past, things that are not fair, why did they do/say that) and note that this is likely also owing to mediation slipping during the past very busy week.

One thing this whole yoga/meditation journey has taught me is that I am responsible for my own thoughts and well-being, no one else, and I choose not to engage with these thoughts these days and instead choose calm and happiness

So with regard to thoughts about the past (can’t change it), things that are not fair (that’s life!) and why did they do/say that (their choice, I can’t control it!), I can now rationalise and move on instead of dwelling and ruminating, which has no benefit and is only to my own detriment.

So now with a calmness I could only have dreamt about in the past, I am thankful to my meditation practise to let me get on with life, just noticing situations and thoughts but without letting all the external drama drag me down.

Anyone on with the day, some meditation before I go. Have a good day MH and anyone else looking in <:)>
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Brilliant serend, sounds like you have embraced the wisdom of yoga and meditation. It has been a massive part of my journey from addiction to wellness and will continue to be going forward.

I’ve read a great deal on Eastern spiritualism and done a lot of yoga and meditation practices and basically I’ve come to my own understanding of it all these days and found my own way of practicing. One book I really enjoyed and took a lot from was by Mr Iyenger, called “Light on Life.” There have been many others.

Meditation is very important to me, and I need to be disciplined to do it. It helps to cultivate that much needed space between the emotion, thought and the reaction. At the end of the day it isn’t all about just not drinking. As Topcat wrote in the Road to Abstinence thread, there is a difference between abstinence and sobriety. When I first set out to stop drinking it was all about abstinence and I failed miserably because I was in emotional turmoil basically. Once I began working on me, my erroneous thinking and my immature emotional state it all started to come together - but it is a journey and it’s still a work in progress.

Together with the simple programme of recovery I now use, the spiritual aspect is also the way forward for me, of that I am certain. But it remains a journey of continuous and incremental growth and there are times when I’m not on my game that my emotional balance becomes unbalanced. Those are the danger times for me, not euphoric recall, and it is those times when I will look for a drink to change my reality. I’m not good at sitting with emotional pain and discomfort, I know that, so I try to utilise the tools I have to stay well emotionally and out of self to help me get through the difficult periods which come along, as they do, because that’s life and life isn’t always smooth sailing. Dealing with those times are the key for me to maintain sobriety, but hey, slips aside, I am getting better at negotiating the storms these days.

I’m glad you are in this thread. It helps me stay disciplined to meditate and helps keep on my spiritual path by reading your journey, experience and thoughts. So thanks very much for contributing.

What yoga have you done/are doing? I did the Iyengar yoga first and then Kundalini yoga. Both were good. The kundalini especially led to good growth for me. It really put me out of my comfort zone back in the day and helped balance my Yin and Yang in the sense of masculine and feminine which was much needed.

I don’t do any yoga classes these days, but I took a lot from both disciplines and I kind of freestyle my own spiritual journey nowadays using a combination of all the things I’ve found helpful over the years.

During my journey to wellness I hit a rock bottom and from that darkness I had a deep spiritual experience and completely handed it all over to the Universe. I quit a career of 20 odd years to put sobriety first, it seemed like a massive sacrifice at the time, but bit by bit the Universe has conspired to help me make a life in Greece for much of the year, something which is gradually turning more and more into a permanent thing and for that I feel very blessed.

When in Greece I do beach yoga each morning mixed with some Tai Kwon Do stretches and the meditations I have learnt, both formal (sitting meditations) and swimming and even cycling and walking meditations, or mindfulness as the Buddhists call it. Although my sobriety has been and still is hard won at times, I feel I’ve made great growth over the last five years especially, and I know that is down to both the programme and the spiritual yogic path I tread. Going forward it is down to me to continue on the path which Ive found works for me. Hopefully this time will be the time I achieve permanent sobriety, my zen boat has capsized enough lol, but only time will tell.

Anyway, I ramble, I know lol...

Much love

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Post by serend »

Lovely to read this MH, and thanks for the recommendation, will order light on life on audiobook today as I have a few credits.
Beach yoga sounds like a good way to start the day - looking forward to travelling again at some point and would like to brush up on French and maybe spend some time there. The physical yoga practise I have been doing for the past few years is seasonal yoga, the idea is moving and living in tune with nature and the seasons, thinking of looking into more yin and meditative practise for next year, and I like the sound of kundalini.
Running late for work as too much time spent on BE this morning but just wanted to check in, have a good day !
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Seasonal yoga sounds fantastic! I’ve never heard of that. I’ll look into that.

Good luck with the French. I’ve been learning Greek for about ten years. I’m kind of ok with it now to a degree and can read, write and converse quite fluently on some subjects. Learning another language is like opening a door into another world.

I love travelling. That has been my passion since I began this journey to sobriety and freedom from conditioned thinking. I got into motorcycle travel and have ridden to Greece various different ways now many times. I love continental Europe and especially enjoyed the Balkans and Turkey adventure last year by bike. I’m really hoping we can travel again freely next year. Motorcycle travel is actually quite mindful and meditative and as I do it alone, I find people come up and talk much more.

Thanks for the reply. Much love

MH

Action

Post by Action »

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to join in and say that I have been practising some meditation and breathing exercises. A bit haphazardly but I definitely recognise the benefits of both and it has helped me on occasions when I have really felt trapped by my emotions and anxiety.

I need to do some form of stretching exercise and I might try yoga too. Can anyone suggest a very gentle form of yoga to start me off with. The difficulty I have with it is that I cannot do the combined breath and movement thing very well due to my limited lung capacity. :roll:
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Action,

Mark Williams has a "Mindful Movement" meditation that you might enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5DLdqFG31A
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

Action

Post by Action »

Thank you Trojan, I will investigate this. :)
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

I find meditation really helps me for lots of things including keeping a proper perspective on things. I have a habit of catastrophising and being very self critical. The thing is I can't meditate if I have been drinking the night before. It's as if I've swapped a positive coping mechanism for a negative one.

Anyway, I'm on the 100 day thread and sober August and am able to meditate again so I thought I would give this thread a bit of a bump. I am always interested in other people's experiences methods techniques etc.

Action

Post by Action »

Hi Truestate.
My meditation 🧘‍♀️ is a bit hit and miss but when I do it I think to myself why don't I do this more often?
I use the App Balance (free for a year) and I find it really helpful. They have plans - a 10 day thing for all sorts of things like stress, happiness, etc. They also have single use meditations, which you can chose the length (usually between 5 & 15 minutes - so manageable. Also a sleep section with sounds as well as meditations. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge