Darcy's Fitness and Weight Management Club

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
swordgirl.

Re: Darcy's Fitness and Weight Management Club

Post by swordgirl. »

Morning all, hope you’re all ok?
Hope you enjoy the gym Newt!

Maypole - I just maintained sobriety and didn’t tackle exercise for about 6 weeks. Even now I’m not being consistent but I’m trying. I haven’t lost anything this week but I have eaten too much crap. As for leg days etc - yes you’re absolutely right, I found I didn’t have enough time to do all my weights machines that I liked in the gym so I did upper body one day and lower body the next day. Classes? The first few times they might be weird but I love them now, mainly because once you’re there you have committed to doing an hour or 45 mins or whatever and having a good trainer in front of you can really motivate you. You can hide at the back. Just don’t pick anything too hard for your first class like Les Mills Body Attack! There are tons of classes you can do at home on YouTube and Instagram so perhaps you could try them first?

I’m just here to say I am doing a strength class at home this morning. There! I’ve said it so I have to do it now! Better get ready and set up my struggling laptop for 10am!

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Workout done - boom! 🔥🔥🔥 Got a good calorie burn this time as well. Will see how I feel tomorrow!

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Right, I’m posting here to say that I’m doing a workout, so now I will have to do it! :lol:

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Workout complete (::) It's about 1-3 hours later than I would have liked, but better late than never. Good calorie burn which is just as well as I seem to want to eat a lot for the last couple of days. Not sure if I am staying quite within my calories but hopefully I am moving in the right direction.

na
Last Drink Date: 07 Sep 2018

Post by na »

Well done SG.
That’s the problem with steady state cardio, it makes you hungry. Depending on what your goals are (it’s usually all 3 fitness, weightloss and musclebuilding). It can be hard not to do cardio and then use food as a compensastion, problem is under estimation of how much we have burned compared to how much we then consume. If Fatloss is a main goal HIITS workouts are effective and weights. Try a high protein snack afterwards and a glucose snack before the workout.
I’m back in the gym tomorrow, fitness and muscle building is the goal so I’m doing 20 minutes on the punch bag and 30 minutes weights.
Na x
Change is always possible - anytime, at any moment

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Hi Na - lovely to hear from you and thank you for your take on things and the nutrition advice. Today was 45 minute Body Combat, but my WiFi let me down a bit towards the end. It’s a bit weird doing it at home instead of a studio. I think I might do a weights class or kettlebells tomorrow and try to alternate between weights and other stuff. That’s if I can move tomorrow that is! Weight has not gone down but it hasn’t gone up either so that’s good. Thinking of booking a few sessions with my PT in a few weeks but going to try and carry in by myself in the meantime.

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

Weigh day.
Just a half pound loss: only to be expected really after my excesses of Wednesday. However this has put me in a new stones bracket which is nice to see and I haven’t been there for many years.
Love reading the motivational and informative stuff here: thank you 🙏
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom”
Viktor E. Frankl.

Maypole
Last Drink Date: 26 Dec 2021

Post by Maypole »

Yes, me too.. really enjoying reading the approaches and tips.. only just finished 3 weeks sober so still a bit fragile… last drink was Boxing Day so maybe I need to get into some punching bag boxing as a theme .. ;)?

Still very disappointed with my lack of progress on the weight loss… only 2 kg down in 3 weeks… 15kg to go 😔

Na, when you say weights for fat loss what do you mean? Heavy weights? Hand weights? Machines? Do you also do legs on one day, upper on another> how many reps?

na
Last Drink Date: 07 Sep 2018

Post by na »

Hi Mayploe, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/do ... oss#cardio
have a look at this webpage it explains the reasoning behind my post regarding weight loss and exercise using the available evidence, it also explains resistance exercise and HIITs. Exercise by definition involves raising the heart rate and moving the skeleton and the best type is the one you enjoy and can sustain. What I enjoy has changed over the years, I don't run long distances anymore because I just don't enjoy it and it takes too much time but I like climbing/hiking and using the rowing machine, I can watch videos of mountain climbing on my iPad while using the rower, kill two birds with one stone. I love the feeling of being strong and weights give me the athletic physique that I try to maintain as well as many other benefits outlined in the article. Kettlebells are a great piece of resistance equipment to start with and can be an effective cardio workout too, it's claimed these date back to classical Greece, so they are no fad!
Hope this clears some things up for you, it can be a minefield out there as weight loss is a multi billion pound industry.
Na x
Change is always possible - anytime, at any moment

Newt

Post by Newt »

Another weeks cardio done plus finally allowed back on the weights, currently running a 500cal deficit to take off the winter plumage gained to stop me shivering all the time, I went back to 20% bodyfat this year (fudge, nougat and bacon butties does the trick) and have about six weeks max till it's removed, then it's just an ever so slight deficit with muscle gains till I'm happy, lockdowns permitting :roll:

Screenshot_20220119-085118.png
Screenshot_20220119-085118.png (72.35 KiB) Viewed 837 times
I was addicted to the hokey cokey until I turned myself around.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Ooh haven’t seen one of your screenshots for a while Newt! Numbers are looking great!

I did Kettlebells again last night, I was going to let it slide and not do anything but then I saw how many calories I just ate when one of the kids offered me some posh crisps, as soon as I took one I was a goner :oops: I am going to have to check my basal rate again as I did it based on my old weight. Will add it to the list of never ending jobs…

Not sure what I’m doing today or when but will try and squeeze in something.

Good luck with all your endeavours Fitties!

Newt

Post by Newt »

Tracking the calories is wise Swordie, I joined OH with a pizza last night which came out at a whopping 826cal, but as it was tuna it had 40g protein in it so a quick half an hours speed march after dinner compensated a bit ;)?

I don't post the stats because it's samey samey, 10 miles a day is standard fair so I can eat five meals and get enough protein spaced into me for hypotrophy purposes :D Plus I'm a greedy c&#t :lol:

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Morning
Well I didn’t manage any fitness yesterday, however I weighed myself this morning and I do appear to have lost a few lbs! I do seem to have tied myself up in knots about BMR and what I should be consuming. I used a calculator which aid BMR was 1453. Originally I knocked a couple hundred calories off that to try and lose weight, which I now think was the wrong thing to do, plus I found it hard to stay within the limit sometimes. I used the bodybuilding.com calculator to see how many calories in conjunction with 3-5 sessions of gentle exercise and it says 1681, which is significantly higher and it gives macros which I haven’t paid much attention to until now. The nutrition tab in MFP is a revelation so I am going to have to stop doing quick add calories.

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

Swordgirl: few pounds off. Well done 👍
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom”
Viktor E. Frankl.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Hi Swordie well done on the weight loss ;)?

Putting my stats into both I get a discrepancy of 18cal, about the same calories I would burn during a good sneezing fit. :lol:

I wouldn't lower calories from your basal, that's the minimum your body needs to keep the vitals working, on a lazy rest day remove it from your sedentary level as it is higher due to sitting instead of lying, plus making the odd brew and meal (and getting the Hoover out. ;) )

Others and myself found that fitbit over estimates the calorie burn so I log my weight as 20% less in the app, the heavier you weigh the more calories you burn, so it calculates with that information too, it seems a lot closer after doing that, maybe even a little under which is a good thing. ;)

My current daily macros are,

150g Protein 30g each meal
50-60g fat
35g+ fibre
The rest to make my caloric target is made up with carbs, mostly pre, post training and evening meal.

When maintaining I go for a 2500 daily burn, when reducing body fat I aim for 3000cal, if I can't do the 3000 I just have 4 meals of 500cal instead of 5.

calculator.net.png
calculator.net.png (24.83 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Bodybuilding.com.png
Bodybuilding.com.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 795 times

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

I’ve ordered some new trainers :D

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

swordgirl. wrote:
21 Jan 2022 09:17
I’ve ordered some new trainers :D
Human or footwear!?
😂
Viktor E. Frankl.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Haven't been here since Feb 2020. Found my old post from then which put me at 17st 10.
Ashamed to say I'm nearing 20 stone and need to address matters.

Moved house in Feb last year and built a log cabin at the end of the garden. Rowing machine, bike on turbo trainer, bench, dumbbells, barbells. No power or heating though, fairly hefty lumens on camping lanterns sorts the lighting but it's cold. Fine once you're warmed up.

Wife is on Slimming World so I'm joining in, not committed to a group yet but I might. BMI at 37 and recent work medical needs it down to under 35 at least by next year. Drinks are high syn value so this assists.

Swordie, whatcha bought?
Newt, see you are on usual post Xmas dedication.
Treat yourself to something better than a hangover

Newt

Post by Newt »

Just paying the price for the run up to Christmas, as ever ;)

Nice to see you again man ;)?

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Good to see you Seismic ;)? Your home gym sounds great! I keep the heating off in the back room because I do my fitness stuff in there and I’m loathe to go in but once I’ve done a warm up with hoodie definitely ON, I have to take it off before I start doing the proper workout. Good luck with your goals ;)?

Hi Newt ;)?
seismic23 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 19:48
Swordie, whatcha bought?
I got some Asics with a chunky sole on them. They have always been very comfy. I seem to be on my third or fourth pair of them so I’m hoping they don’t fail me as it’s an online order and I hate returning stuff. I’m hoping to do either combat and strength (weights) or at least one of them tomorrow and the other one on Sunday. I’ve only done one workout through the weekdays which is simply not good enough. Fortunately my steps might have slightly offset that but not much.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone achieves over the weekend!