The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
swordgirl.

Re: The To Do List

Post by swordgirl. »

Morning All
Not much planned for today apart from work. Might go mad and go in a bit earlier as still have tons to do. I really need to take something to the post office before it’s too late to return so am going to try and do that before work. And I’ve made the bed (and then got back in it which is probably wrong but I still did it)

Have a good day everyone!

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

Similar for me. Lots of work. Husband has volunteered to do the post office. Tunnel still closed so another week of commuting horribleness for both of us. I am wfh today but have to go in for the next three days. Life feels a bit groundhogdayish. I probably need a holiday.
Rachel

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Morning

My Groundhog Day is similar to lockdown, in as much, I have nothing I have to do. Yet there are lots of jobs to get done.

Let out the neighbour's dogs. They have a pack of about 12, and do fly ball. Most summer weekends they're away at shows. Sometimes they leave the 3 oldies behind and I let them in and out. This weekend it has become a bit of a chore.
Plan sensible eating for me today.
Tidy back bedroom. It's my 'guest' room, so shouldn't take much.
Hang out washing (I'm trying to encourage rain, so I might wash the car as well).
Weed back yard. There is no reason why docks should be growing in paving cracks. And so well. The way forward in years of drought, let the weeds grow.
Tackle the house, room by room.

Gloomy prospect. I used to think that if I lived alone,my house would be immaculate. Oh hollow laughter.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I think really my days are not unvaried but somehow it all feels monotonous. It's really not good going this long without a proper holiday. I have squandered countless days off and had days off for my mother's death but they do not amount to a holiday in terms of reviving one.

You can hardly get into my 'guest bedroom' :o
Had a water butt crisis at lunch time. The tap started leaking and precious water started gushing out. Not a lot I could do. Saved some of it but had to go back to work and ran out of containers. It is a 200l one and full.

My house was better when I lived alone. It's depressing tidying and cleaning and then it being messed up and covered in crumbs straight away (which I then have to sort out). I did clean the sink, shower and bath today.
Did another failed dye job. (The stitching stayed white and the colour is too dark.) I think I will give up trying to create the perfect (and largely unbuyable) shade of green linen garment.
I worked almost solidly apart from aforementioned distractions. Didn't get enough done and two meetings tomorrow. One not so important if I have not done enough. The other was my chance to show my ability, but I won't be doing :(
I suppose at least after tomorrow, I can get on with some writing (for work).
Rachel

faith2be

Post by faith2be »

Dear Do-ers <:)>

I seem to keep messing up my login credentials... so please excuse the sporadic appearances/ disappearances :roll:

Nice to see you all - and it's all OK to do/not do stuff, as the occasion fits. I think one thing we have to remember is that we can't let ourselves get bogged down in "stuff" and endless To Do lists (I look back over mine and absolutely cringe...). Noone can be super(wo)man all the time. And we know where too hard schedules lead us...

I had a wonderful break for some days, just my daughter and me. Son stayed home alone (his choice, although he admitted to regretting it later...) - and amazingly, when we returned, the kitchen was nicely cleaned and he'd even tidied his room. Just goes to show - when the maid is away for more than a day or so - these people actually do stuff when they run out of dishes and clothes :lol:

I think many of us share the frustrations of clutter, stuff not working as it should, collapsing shelves, wonky doors etc etc etc. But I also think the key (yes, yes, we have talked of this before...) is to simplify things - and not to worry about too much at any one point in time. Make a realistic priority list - and stuff the rest until another day.

I ceremoniously burned an old bound notebook that was from many years ago (like about 20 - pre BE may I add). It had these enormously long lists og tasks - and most actually crossed out each day. I felt dizzy just looking at it - and I remembered how i felt by the end of that era. I was dangerously underweight (that was before I started seriously boozing) and just looked ill.

Well, I got about half of the stuff done that I had aimed for - and that is at least twice as much as would have happened if I'd still been in the clutches of the demon - so all in all - I'm happy. I will have to get up an hour earlier to load up my van with some stuff - but I stopped so I could salvage some time to eat, have a shower and cozy up with my book (and hopefully get some sleep - chronic insomniac here - and tablets don't really help - and they just give me a terrible hangover...).

So - serene greetings to y'all
Have a great evening/night. Hope to catch up/engage better tomorrow <:)> <:)>
Howling at the moon is one thing, but someone once told me just to have Faith

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

You sound beautifully chilled, Faith. I am so glad you had such a nice time away.

I have had an arduous but on balance good day. Another hard work day lined up tomorrow. I thought the jounrney home would be long and horrible, as lots of cancelled trains, but it was fine. I imagine a lot of people are on holiday or just don't do Tuesdays! When I got home I watered the garden, picked a load of tomatoes, which are now roasting in smoked rapeseed oil. I have also prepped some strawberries which are now macerating. Will cobble together a cheat's Eton mess later.

I am shattered, but having started the day feeling teary and depressed, basically ok.

I hope everyone else is having a good day.
Rachel

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Evening All
Lovely to hear from you Faith! Burning a book of lists sounds well therapeutic! I’m so glad you had a break, you work hard and you deserve it! My break this year was the first time I really had a rest in years! Self catering in a caravan in Cornwall just isn’t as restful :D

Rachel, sounds like your dinner will be gorgeous! How lovely to have a repast of your freshly picked homegrown harvest! Glad your commute was not as torturous as usual - thank goodness for small reprieves that make our lives easier.

Very little going on over here. Bin emptied and dishwasher on and place looks surprisingly reasonable, perhaps some of my nagging is working? Finished work at 7 last night, came home and ate crisps and 2 Kit Kats and went to bed for a bit. Got up and ate strawberries and peaches. I think I’ve gone a bit rogue and need to take myself in hand. My weight is getting back up to the higher reaches :oops: Finished a bit earlier today but think I had better do a bit more tonight so I can get going faster tomorrow morning. I have cancelled/ignored other stuff so need to play catch up as always!

Laters <:)> <:)>

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Morning. Bright and sunny here. Just a half day in the office then 21st Wedding Anniversary afternoon tea in the OXO tower :)

I hope everyone has a good day.
Rachel

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Rachel, how lovely to be 21 again :) Enjoy your special day \:)/
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2022 Challenge

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

\:)/ \:)/ Morning

Faith you're sounding upbeat.

SG. Talks with Teenagers. Well done for setting the boundary. My big girl had a part time job in one of the big dress shops. They were in the habit of keeping staff very late. Terrified me when she wasn't on the last bus.

Rachel happy anniversary. I hope the tea is excellent, the view wonderful and the conversation convivial.

To do

Trot across to church to investigate Classic Cuppa. Apparently it's a social get together. I need a social life especially now that I'm semi retired.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Thank you both!

edit: sorry thanks all! I was on my phone on the train...
Last edited by Rachel on 05 Aug 2022 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

faith2be

Post by faith2be »

Rachel - enjoy your special day <:)>
Danny - Sometimes it's good just to go and be a bit social - even if the company there aren't your first choice of companions, but as you say, it's important not to become a hermit.. I have found a new friend under odd circumstances. She is at least 20 years younger than me - but we came together due to a shared interest (that is a bit unusual around here). And anyway - one of my longest-term and closest friends is 20 years older than me - and we never let that get in the way :-) Alas, I moved country and so most of my closest friends are not around me physically - but like you, Danny - I agree, just getting out there occasionally in local circles is good.

Swordie, Pickles and all other do-ers - hope you are well <:)>

Well - I realised I have re-gained quite a bit of the 8 kg I managed to lose over the last 6 months. I got complacent... But instead of beating myself up about it - I decided to say OK Faith/Luna - you still are 4-5 kg lighter than you were last year... Carrot versus rod and all that.

I'm really struggling with all my To Do's - both work-wise and around my place. I live in an environment that in fact screams for a couple to tend to it - it really is too much for one person. But I can't contemplate moving right now, and I can't afford to hire a handyman. And anyway - noone does manual work any more. I can hire a guy in a tractor or something big and macho that goes broom broom whilst driver reclines in the seat with a can of Red Bull in hand, - but not a guy with a sledgehammer and a shovel, which is what I actually need... So I have to do this myself, but it is slow, because of my previous injury. But I just keep lowering the bar of expectations - and being grateful for whatever progress is made.

Talking of grateful - one thing that really has helped me a lot is the practice of daily gratitude - and writing these down in a series of beautiful notebooks that have been gifted to me by a good and inspirational friend. I have one notebook for gratitude and another for daily goals - that notebook is called "make it happen". And I make a purposeful attempt to keep the goals realistic. And recognise days where those goals are going to be small - like a saturday after a hard week. OK Faith - have a shower, hoover the living room, walk the dog - and then do something nice like unearth boxed up stuff that I might use to make my newly-renovated house look like a home. And to ditch whatever really truly won't be used again. I have managed to sell/donate quite a lot of stuff lately - furniture, tools, clothes, equipment etc. It is quite refreshing, although painful at the time. It also takes me a donkeys age to actually go through stuff - but again, I prefer to reward myself with progress rather than chastise myself for the snail's pace this is going at.

Perspectives, eh?

Have a good day, everyone :-) <:)>
Howling at the moon is one thing, but someone once told me just to have Faith

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Morning Everyone
Hope you’re all ok?

Congratulations to you and OH, Rachel! I hope it was a lovely afternoon tea! I had a little spate of having people over for afternoon tea instead of dinner a few years ago. Less stuff to get ready ;)

I liked your talk of notebooks Faith and it made me think I really should revive my notebooks which have been sadly neglected for much of the year :roll: Much better than endlessly scrolling through the internet. Right, am going to tidy up a bit and get my notebooks out for this evening. Also need to book my swim for tomorrow. Not looking forward to getting in a swimsuit/wetsuit! Feeling very fat but it’s my own fault as I am chowing down far too much unhealthy stuff. I seem to have replaced alcohol with a new bad habit :?

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

\:)/ \:)/

Afternoon tea sounds like a work up. But I haven't entertained anyone in years.

I'm being entertained this evening. A work social function. A buffet on The Victory. I'm apprehensive (not good with social functions - don't know how to behave. What 'role' to be) and looking forward in equal measures.

My cat has started messing in the house. I have no idea what to do about this. I've given her a litter tray, which she uses, as well (I've discovered) as the bedrooms. Any advice will be welcome.

Have a good day y'all

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Morning.

Thanks again all for congratulations re the anniversary., The afternoon tea was nice (and the only food, bar a yoghurt and banana I ate yesterday). As food goes, it's overrpiced, but really you are paying for the whole experience. It would be nice to do this for friends, and lovely to have it done. We were outside on the terrace, so it was nice and cool.

I was so tried I felt ill aferwards - I have been tired all week. I hope I am not coming down with anything. - so I couldn't get to sleep for ages then slept fitfully. Part of the sleep (but not the tiredness) is the impending trip up north tomorrow. Ironic that I still feel dread at the prospect now, if or different reasons. I would also prefer not to be reminded how much I dreaded going up before, as it fills me with guilt.

So things to do today:
finalize details with estate agents (need to know how long they will take. I have left a two hour gap between them but it would be horribly embarassing if they overlapped and I am meeting a friend after the second one.) (✔)
send text reminder to sibling about video walk around tomorrow (not that I will/can get a reply from them). ✔
book Sunday lunch in the Peak District ✔
do quite a long circuit to the shops to send back one thing and pick up two packages - all in different locations. (✔) still need to pick up one that had not arrived. Later.
Maybe do something in the garden - to calm me if nothing else, but no matter if I don't.
washing x2 or 3 - no. 1 is in the machine ✔
change bedding or at very least pillow cases
pack - as coming back on my own will try to send most stuff back with husband and travel light on Monday. He is off to Denmark for the rest of the week on Monday so I won't see him when I get back. Really we ought to go to the supermarket this evening if there is anything heavy I need for next week.
put bird food out ✔
take keys for gardener to neighbour ✔
run roasted tomatoes (um did three days ago) through the passata maker and freeze ✔
empty dishwasher :) ✔ (and start to refill....!)

This feels like enough to do on its own, especially as feeling I am a bit grotty, but I am also supposed to be working (from home) today.

re lists n.b. I hardly ever mention housework :? This is not because it's part of the daily routine like feeding the cats, or my half hour spent watering the garden or emptying the dishwasher... I suppose I do do a few things without mentioning them every time.

re friends, my tenth sober anniversary made me realize how many of my friends I have met since I stopped drinking (and who don't know about the drinking). Not close friends though. Close friends are hard to make. Not sure what close friends are in a way, though, exactly. I have those whom I have known for decades and yet do not see often, but with whom I am always comfortable, but wouldn't necessarily tell deeply personal things, mainly because you don't launch into such things with people you don't see often. They were there for me, either by phone, text or in person, when my mother died, though. The wedding anniversary and looking at photos was also funny insofar that probably none of the people I invited for work would be invited now. One moves on a bit too with some. I have formed deeper friendships with other people at work since (but not that deep in most cases).

Anyway, I had better get on with stuff. I wonder if I can/should shoehorn in a nap later on.

Last edited by Rachel on 05 Aug 2022 13:43, edited 4 times in total.
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Sorry that was so long... :oops:
Rachel

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Good luck today Rachel <:)> <:)>

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Thanks. I am very nervous. Yesterday it took me 4 attempts to leave the house, because I kept forgetting things!

I suspect the video call with sister (in which I would probably not see her. She is as cagey about being seen as she is about emailing her address) so I should try not to worry about that.

It did occur to me that if we died in a crash no one would come to look after Basil (we have not asked anyone to come in this weekend as it's just over night for Tom, at least. It's more fuss than it's worth and not really necessary).

There won't be any internet there apart form phones which will be a bit of a bummer while I am there on my own tomorrow night.

Anyway:
done: watered garden (i.e. pots) again
sorted cat litter
washed out wasted cat litter bin
hidden camera!
to do:
hide computer
check lists to see if there is anything I need to take that I can't get there
go

Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Rachel I think there's a 'tiredness' bug going round. I've woken feeling groggy, tired and slightly sick. Safe journey. If your sibling doesn't share her address, how does she expect to receive any benefits from your mother's estate? Good luck with that.

Today I have a wedding at 1300. There's a butterfly walk at 1400 that I'd like to go on, but that really might be tight. Originally the couple wanted CDs, but during the week I've been told I can play 'something joyous' for them to exit. Hmmm.

Must away to shop for dog food, followed by a dog walk (or t'other way around). At some point I should water pots, but we've a hose pipe ban. I have a plan though. The other side of my garden wall is a car wash. I go and pay for a wash, hoist their hose over my wall and water the plants. I understand that commercial premises can still use hoses. No idea how much that would cost though.

Naughty mischievous thoughts. I'm obviously not well!

Have a safe day everyone.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Hi All
Hope you are ok Rachel and that yesterday was bearable for the hard bits and that you got a bit of respite <:)> <:)>

Danny I took my car for a wash yesterday, great minds etc. It was filthy, was hoping to do the inside myself or delegate but alas that didn’t happen. Quite a busy day yesterday, swimming in the lake, hedge cutting, shopping, cooking and baking. Today I’m visiting my mum who is not very happy with me. She will probably be even more unhappy when she discovered that I’m only staying for 2 hours because I have to be back to do something. That something is 'fun' not work so it won’t go down well. I’m going to the cinema to see the Jodie Comer play at the NT. Anyhoo, I’d better get up and try and tackle a few things before I set off.

Hope you all have a decent day \:)/