Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Darcy's Fitness and Weight Management Club

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Re: Darcy's Fitness and Weight Management Club

Post by Sandy » 18 Jan 2011 20:59

Do you need subtitles Sheila? :D
Sandy

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy » 18 Jan 2011 21:06

Thats a tough one Sara, if you find something could you let me know ;-)
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

Andy

Post by Andy » 18 Jan 2011 21:08

Of course your welcome Sheila :-) tell us more about your run :-)

I did just over 5 miles tonight, not checked the details yet, do know the legs ached a bit, did realise when I got home I'd not had my anti-inflams before hand. So it was almost all on road which aint good for my knees. I think at the moment after doing a long run on Sunday I'm best having a 2 day break!!! so next week should be OK if I go out Saturday morning :-)

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2018
First Sober Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 18 Jan 2011 23:06

I always need subtitles for Taggart Sandy, that Scottish accent can be hard to grasp ;) especially when they mumble, but at least the subtitles are in English...now Rab C Nesbitts subtitles .... They were spelt exactly as the words were spoken .... :? :lol: and were no help at all!! Hard enough trying to understand some Scottish accents, but near on impossible to read them :lol:

Back to fitness talk... my training today was for 5kms non stop running and for the first time, I did it without having to take a walk break :o and I did the last 1.6k at 7.5kph ... :o :o

Off to bed now, night folks, sleep well <:)>
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Andy

Post by Andy » 18 Jan 2011 23:23

WEll done Sheila :-) sounds good :-)

Need to download tonight run onto the comp as I didnt stop my timer between jogging 2k from station to leisure centre and when we left for the run!!! jogged about 2k slowly to get there then did ~4.5miles with the club in about 35-40 mins, will work it out later...

Off to bed now have a good night and keep up the good work tomorrow :-)

Andy

Beverley
Last Drink Date: 22 Jul 2010

Post by Beverley » 19 Jan 2011 13:38

OMG, OMG! Trainers have arrived and are beautiful!!!!!! Never been worn and so lovely I can't bear to get them mudddy so will keep them for hard surfaces. £15.90 Bloody hell, a snip.

Am waiting for the next pair which are called, and wait for this Sandy if you are listening, 'worn to be wild'. How cool is that? Remember that old song 'Born to be Wiiiiild, born to be wiiiild'.........

I am so excited OH is having trouble calming me down.

I really am about to explode on the village scene - big time.

So glad you are all doing well with your kms per hour etc. Me - I plan to have fun with a capital F. Could be my last chance at it so here goes.

Love to all Bev x
Every moment is a gift - that's why it's called the present

Andy

Post by Andy » 19 Jan 2011 13:42

Sounds like ice skates would help Maria ;-). At least the mud in the park is gentle on your knee's :)

Rest day for me today :-D, hopefully get home in time to go down the rugby club to watch the lads play tonight :-)

Have a good day all :-)

marie-claire
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2010

Post by marie-claire » 19 Jan 2011 20:48

Well, the middle-age flab has finally gone (::) - must have 'cause hubby (not usually noted for perceptive observations about my appearance) remarked this morning how flat my tummy was now. I put that entirely down to my Swiss (exercise ball) - after encouragement on this thread I bought one and added 10 minutes a day to my usual (treadmill and exercise bike) exercise regime. It was tricky to master for the first few days, but I watched the Youtube instruction videos and gradually I could feel the improvement. It really is all down to persistence, isn't it? So anyone wanting to tone up their abdo muscles at home, get ye down to Tesco's (or Argos), watch some videos and get at it! (::) Thanks for the nudge, folks.

MC x
Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls.
The most massive characters are seared with scars.
--Khalil Gibran

Tinelle
Last Drink Date: 05 Jan 2016

Post by Tinelle » 19 Jan 2011 21:31

Hoorah, I have finally found the fitness thread! OK, now is probably not a good time for me to be posting here as I have just polished off the last of the Christmas quality streets! I used to do a lot of running, anything between 3-6 miles 3/4 times a week. This kept my weight down and meant that I didn't come home after work and head straight to the kitchen to pour myself a drink. Would love to get back into it. Will dust off the trainers and heave my post-christmas bulk around the block tomorrow!

I'm feeling thinner already!! ;)

Sheila

Post by Sheila » 19 Jan 2011 21:46

Hi Tinelle .... Good to have you join us ;)?
Keep us up to date with how you're getting on. Are you planning to build up the running again? Those Xmas choccies hung around a while :o but no excuses not to get going now ;)
#4 on the 2020 Challenge

Andy

Post by Andy » 19 Jan 2011 22:48

Sounds good folks :-)

MC, you'll have to post some of those links, I really need to do some core work, just never seem to get round to it though !!!

Tinelle, welcome, glad you found us, we werent hiding ;-), look forward to hearing about your progress :-)

Night all :-)

Samnearly
Last Drink Date: 08 Jan 2013

Post by Samnearly » 19 Jan 2011 23:29

Hi all
Welcome Tinelle, lots of running going on here, its as motivational as the team abstinence so you'll be fine!!

Ups and downs tonight... went in the gym after work and was all pleased with myself. Engaged in some sports psycology in my head (spelling??) so cut my run down a bit and got a really good rhythm going and a bit quicker too, safe in the knowledge that I could do it because I've been doing more than that! (stay with me). Then did 20 mins on the bike rolling hills. Lovely.Also life much improved with new ear things for ipod that hook over ears!!

Had a half hour break and went in to a pilates class which was rubbish because the instructor doesn't look to see if you're doing things properly, and I think if you're not doing it properly you may as well not bother. Think an 8pm class is too late aswell cos then you don't get home and eat till 9.45pm and its all just a bit not quite right. So thats the end of 8pm pilates! I'm glad I got that off my chest - anyone stayed awake?!
xx
one day at a time....

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 20 Jan 2011 01:26

Yea Tinelle, So glad you found us (::) (::) Can't wait to hear about your progress. :D

Working out on the Bowflex now.....loving it (::) (::)

<:)> <:)> <:)> Linda
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Sheila

Post by Sheila » 20 Jan 2011 06:42

Sam :lol: OH and I were thinking about joining our local pilates class till we found out it was at 8.15 in the evening..... Silly time of day :roll:

Linda, no idea what Bowflex is but it sounds a bit painfull....enjoy ;)

Today is my speed walking day, another 8.5 miles to get done, so that'll be last weeks Emmerdale omnibus sorted ;)?

Have a good one folks ;)?
#4 on the 2020 Challenge

Andy

Post by Andy » 20 Jan 2011 07:59

Sounds exhausting Sam :-), I keep thinking I need to give Pilates a go. 8 pm would probably be the only time I could fit it in though!!!

No idea what Bowflex is either :-s tell us more (you might have done previously but mind like a sieve ;-)

Sheila enjoy Emmerdale :-) (I know I couldnt ;-) ), what speed do you do the speed walk at? I imagine its very hard to keep the pace constant for that distance!

Rest day for me yesterday, strange this morning bit of a niggle in the knee much worse than yesterday :-s, have to watch that. Plan for tonight (knee allowing) training with the running club, apparently we will be doing star bursts :-s not really sure what they are but some kind of speed work I believe :-). With a 2km jog to get there, and if I dont get a lift home a 6-7km slow jog home (remembered the head torch this time :-) )

Have a great day everyone :-D

Andy

marie-claire
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2010

Post by marie-claire » 20 Jan 2011 10:39

Hi Andy
There are dozens of Youtube videos - you can search using Swiss, Exercise or Stability ball - all the same thing. I used mainly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQrebXbos30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6Ztf2c6c8 & others in the Expertvillage series. But the demos by men might suit you better. The funny thing is they look too easy until you start to do them. :) Hope that helps.
Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls.
The most massive characters are seared with scars.
--Khalil Gibran

Andy

Post by Andy » 20 Jan 2011 11:27

Great, thx for that MC :-)

Meant to say well done to you your going great guns :-) Did I notice your quickly approaching your 3 months :-), only seems like a few days ago when you 1st posted ;-)

Well done you, great example :-) and long may it continue :-D

Andy

Beverley
Last Drink Date: 22 Jul 2010

Post by Beverley » 20 Jan 2011 12:13

Hey Andy
You are coming up for your first year next month aren't you?

Time seems to be racing ahead. I remember joining last July 18th, I will never forget that day when I thought I was going to die and if I didn't I could cheerfully have helped myself along the way to it! You were right there for me. I know I have thanked you before but I want you to know I will never forget your kindness and strength.

I am so happy. I keep stroking my new trainers. I really should put them on and get out there in them. How childish I am sometimes. I nearly went to bed in them!

Seem to have control over the food and am really thinking of going vegetarian. I have beeen for a week at a time before. Any tips on that gratefully received. I worry about iron etc. Maybe I should bring this up on the foo thread?

Bev x p.s very quiet and thoughtful today (and grateful)
Every moment is a gift - that's why it's called the present

Andy

Post by Andy » 20 Jan 2011 12:35

Thx Bev :-) y
Your doing great :-), now go outside and jump in a puddle on your way to the park to get them nice a dirty ;-), your only allowed to keep them clean and dry for 2 days before you make them all dirty ;-).

Sorry cant give you any advice on going veggie, I prefer some meat with my meat, best diet I've done was Atkins, only I wanted to add extra meat to it ;-)

Keep going strong hun :-)

Andy

Denise1973
Last Drink Date: 17 Feb 2011

Post by Denise1973 » 20 Jan 2011 12:41

I would like to join this thread. I used to be a gym goer and then slowly but surely the wine took over my life. The weight has piled on and I have yo-yoed over the years. A stone off a stone on. Two stone off, two stone on. One stone off two stone on etc. A friend told me just nip the wine in the bud and that will sort it. That was several years ago and I always knew she was right but the underlying motivating factor for me to quit was not there. I couldn't go three days without drinking. I recently hit rock bottom when I realised that I just can't be trusted not to binge. My binges turned into continuous nights drinking to such an extent where I would be ill during the day. I quit drinking recently and feel alot better. I am eating healthily and feel good. I have five stone to lose and will do it sensibly.

Another wake up call is that my blood tests have come back with an elivated enzyme from my liver. I will repeat the tests in two weeks. It may be a fatty liver or just my liver working overtime trying to detox.

I joined the gym yesterday. Looking forward to getting back on track.