Darcy's Fitness and Weight Management Club

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Bupster

Re: Darcy and Fiendish's Fitness Club

Post by Bupster »

Now I want cream cakes! :roll:
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

Sally Cinnamon

Weight gain with Drink - Take steps to lose it!

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

Firstly, I hope it's okay to do this post -- a lot of people I've spoken to have weight issues, who've drank heavily for a long time and while I think drink is a huge part, the eating habits we acquire through drinking are also hard to break.

The idea formed the moment I read one of mygirls posts. I've been thinking for days about how absolutely fat I've become because of the drink, and unhealthy eating habits which have come as part of the drinking parcel for me and have decided that if I'm stopping drinking, then I can lose weight too.

I joined weight watchers a while back, and did extremely well for about six weeks - drinking only on weekends but that's no good to me now either, so I'm going to stop alcohol completely (day three now!) and I am going to eat more healthily and take more exercise. I lost over a stone, then put it back on.

I'm heavy now. Obese I think the word is, I used to be a size 12-14 and was very comfortable with myself that way. I've now reached size 20 and it's still climbing so it's time to do something about it. I'm going to give myself personal goals in this thread, and make personal notes about things to do - things I'm doing and tips for others when it comes to making a healthier meal.

The first thing I'm going to do is start eating breakfast. Now that I'm not hungover all of the time, I should be able to force it down in the mornings.

Second thing is completely avoid processed foods. Everything I make from this morning to eat will be started from scratch with the exception of tinned soup.

Third - from past experience with WW I realised bread is my other big fall-down, so I'm going to allow myself just seven slices a week, and no butter! :(

*edit!

I forgot to post a goal. My aim is to lose three stone in six months. Rapid weight loss is extremely unhealthy, so even losing just one pound a week means I'm a winner - 42 pounds off in 26 weeks is very do-able, less pressure and it gives me something else to think about!

Date to be three stone lighter = 11 May 2009, Which is six days before my birthday - I can feel a new dress coming as a pressie from OH ;)

Amber

Re: Weight gain with Drink - Take steps to lose it!

Post by Amber »

Hi Sally, I love this thread. I am not obsessed about my weight these days, but since I started hitting the drink harder, I gained alot of weight. I was a size 8 to 10 then got to 14-16, yes I am a walrus, I know :lol: When I do actually eat, I eat shit.My excuse is, if I had someone else to cook for, I would eat healthily. Alcohol is very calorific and even when you stop, the hypoglycaemia makes you eat so much shit, you are buggered for quite a while after. Apologies for my profanities, I messed up today and have been drinking post night duty in the morning. Great thread tho, I LOVE IT XXXXXX
The strongest among the weak is the one who doesn't forget his weaknesses.
- Danish Proverb

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

This is the thing though, profanities aside :P you're right, we literally eat rubbish! It's worse when we're craving something too, so I think with enough willpower, we can turn it to our own benefit? We've let the drink rule our lives for so long and I was so miserable this week without it to start with, that I've realised one really important thing - I didn't give myself anything else to do to take my mind off it.

I caught a glimpse of myself side on in the mirror the other day and was totally disgusted. If I can look in that same mirror in six months time and feel good about myself then I'll be one very happy Sally.

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Amber, sorry to hear you've had a bad morning - get yerself to a meeting, girl. It's interesting what you say about hypoglycaemia, though. As some of you may know, :? , I'm a big fan of the GI diet, having lost two and a half stone so far this year between cracking the drinking and going on the diet. It's designed specifically to keep blood sugar steady, the idea originally being to regulate insulin in diabetics (I'm not a nutritionist, please excuse me if I get some of the details off slightly). One of the things it says to avoid, Sally, is white bread - that has a huge GI value, meaning that it burns up so quickly that you have a blood sugar crash almost immediately and just want more.

For breakfast these days I either have porridge with milk, raisins and honey - it doesn't matter if you can't eat much, it lasts for ages and fends off the urge to snack - or poached eggs on granary toast with no butter (the eggs moisten the bread, and salt and pepper add flavour - I don't miss butter at all). Don't have breakfast cereals unless it's muesli or all bran - cornflakes are just as bad as white bread for giving you an immediate sugar boost and then a great big crash an hour or two later.

I won't bore on about the diet in detail, but if you've got a little spare cash, Tesco diets are excellent, and have a lovely system where you fill in your weight each week and how you feel about it and someone emails you. Maybe not as good as the weightwatchers face to face thing, but if you're short on time etc., very useful. Otherwise, basic principles: Avoid spuds, especially jacket, new potatoes if you must. Rice: basmati or not at all. Pasta: Don't eat until it comes out of your ears; try to measure it (about 60g per portion will fill you up, honest) but otherwise eat as often as you like. Don't worry too much about fats and sugars but be sensible, cook for yourself whenever possible because you can't control the ingredients and calories in ready meals, don't eat out too often when you're trying to lose weight, stuff yourself daft with fruit and veg. Really, keep it simple. It is true that bananas are slightly higher GI than ideal but they beat the hell out of a Mars Bar. I also recommend Mueller light yoghurts and Jordans Frusli bars - 100 calories each and they skate you over a peckish moment. I filled the flat with them!

All the best and good luck to all,
Bupster

PS - there is also an argument that blood sugar influences cravings. It is true that when I eat better, I drink less, but I'm not sure whether it's causal or coincidental. Certainly though if you've low blood sugar and your body is craving quick calories, alcohol might be one of the things it thinks will do the trick; if you keep on an even keel, those cravings should be lessened considerably.
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

Yep! That's about the sum of it.

Bread, it's a killer! Well it's helped to kill any semblance of a figure I once had anyway ;)

Eating brekkie is really important - and I know how hard it is to eat sometimes, particularly after a night on the booze but that shouldn't be a problem now! I like those crunchy nut cornflakes, I'll have those with semi-skimmed milk.

Definitely didn't start this to advertise any diet in particular, just to promote sensible eating and eating habits, thought perhaps a few of us who are self-confessed fatties (sorry to be blunt, but a spade is a spade with me!) could come here for support, and help each other in another way too as well as staying off alcohol by focusing on something else to help us be healthy. I reckon the majority of my weight gain is drink related too, so felt quite safe posting it here.

Got to say I totally agree with the sugar thing too. Glad I posted now, lots of interesting info coming out already

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

mygirl wrote:I LOVE THIS POST TOO!!!!!
So much of sallys post rings true with me. Don't eat breakfast. Grab sandwich for lunch. Start drinking at 6. Lots of cheese on toast at 10 pm followed by loads of crisps. Not good or healthy!!!
I joined weight watchers a couple of years ago as the ad on telly said that a glass of wine was 1 point. I was saving 7-8 points a day for booze!!!
I will join you with the goal of 3 stone in 6 months. Just weighed myself. Might even get a little book to mark down weight/what I ate/thoughts/etc
This thread will really help me. Although the bigger picture is to stay off the booze, getting fit/healthy/smaller is a really good incentive to keep abstaining.
Also I found that with drinking I could actually "put on" 7-9lbs after a night drinking due to water retention and bloating up. Very depressing.
Really pleased I had fruit and yogurt for breakfast this morning!! Can start from today!! :D
Think I will be on the slimming world diet as it fits in with the children and their meals.
I'm off to dust down my exercise bike, think its under the pile of clothes in my bedroom!!! :D
mgx
Yay! *claps*

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

7-9lbs - WOW.

I chucked out my scales a few weeks ago, so until I get a new pair I'll be guessing.

At WW I went from 16 stone to below 15, however I'm certain I've put it all back on so I'll say my starting weight is 16 again.

In the end I'd like to get to 11 stone, which is appropriate for my build and height (5"7m large build).

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Crunchy nut cornflakes are gorgeous, I quite agree, and if it's a choice between them and nothing, have them, but if you can persuade yourself over time to eat something more healthy for breakfast it would be an improvement, as they're quite high on the Glycaemic Index and are full of sugar - they're 400 calories per 100g before you even add in the milk. :shock:

I lived with a vegan for years and got very good at reading labels....

chrissie

Post by chrissie »

Hi guys

What a great thread! I too am trying to lose weight, have lost 19 pounds so far but it has taken me nearly 2 years - whilst I am mostly good with food, I didn't tackle the drink, so it was very up and down. But have lost 8 pounds of that since I turned my drinking around in July. At that point I decided to aiming for a stone in total before Christmas so only another 4 pounds to go. I know that's not a big aim but I have learnt I am better with small goals as I am more likely to succeed and not beat myself up. I too go to ww (I am a helper). Only 1.5 pounds to go to get to my 10% goal which I am hoping to do on Wednesday. have been really good this week, but feeling rubbish today so have eaten four pieces of toast this morning, which is something I only do when miserable - I don't know why as I don't normally eat bread as it bloats me and makes me feel crap, so it's like I do it to make myself feel worse. Come to think of it, I think that's my pattern with booze too. Why do I do it to myself??

Anyway, going to try and pull myself out of the pit and stop feeling sorry for myself. I know I am better mentally when I cut out booze completely, and I did have some over the weekend (although not too much) so that's part of why I'm feeling crap today.

Chrissie xx
one day at a time

queenie

Post by queenie »

great thread sally! i too am of the porky persuasion - i am probably 3 stone over what i should be (last time i weighed myself i was heading towards 14 stone and i have been munching a lot lately). i would very much like to shift some so i will join you here. not sure if i can hope to lose as much as 3 stone but every little helps!

queenie
how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change...

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

haha at porky persuasion! love it :D

Getting excited now at the thought of being svelte again one day *dreams*

Kitty
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2011

Post by Kitty »

Oh can I join too please? Did everyone feel the thread wobble when i stepped on :o ?
About an hour ago I ate a large hunk of french bread stuffed with dolcelatte cheese and I had chocolate brownie with cream for breakfast :oops:
So no point starting now. Tomorrow is another day though

Kitty X
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

really enjoying this thread, i am also overweight, but just now, am comfort eating. At least, thinking about trying to achieve a healthier body will use up some of my mind space, therfore, no room for thinking about drink! I know i'm nowhere near out of the woods yet, but i read someones quote that starts with 'don't wait until the time is right, it never will be' ...or something like that, and that really made me think!
Liz. xxx.
Oh would some power the gift he gi us...to see ourselves as others see us

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

Kitty, if it wobbled when you stepped on then the scaffolding creaked with a real vengeance when I did!

I'm glad people are taking this the way it was intended. It's good to have goals and if my goal isn't so much about drinking because I'm not thinking about it so much, then thats a good thing!

Debating on having something different to crunchy nut cornflakes in the morning - with Bup saying its too sweet...don't like porridge tho!

Lush

Post by Lush »

I've just had fish n chips. Bad Lush! I did 30 mins of free step on the Wii Fit earlier though and have been running around a bit after various family members. Will do more Wii-ing later. :oops:

Susie
xx
"I love the English language, it has a certain je ne sais qoi".

gsv

Post by gsv »

I have just found this thread, good one!
Another big reason for me facing up to my alcohol issues was my rising weight. I was nearly 3 St over my ideal weight.
I mentioned somewhere else that its my 4th day and my appetite for breakfast has returned, which I am really pleased about. Normally I could go until lunch time or beyond, or just eat junk food in the eveniings washed down with beer and/or wine.
I am keeping a record (helps me see what I am achieving) of my days off alcohol, days off smoking and also recording my weight. I have lost 5lb after just 4 days of not drinking (my scales are posh digital ones that also measure my body fat) BUT - my body fat percentage has risen so a chunk of that weight-loss must be fluid. Even so, this is very encouraging :)

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Lush wrote:Will do more Wii-ing later
Surely this will only help with the water retention?

Sorry. I'll get me coat.

Lush

Post by Lush »

Oh dear, Bupster.

Susie
xx
"I love the English language, it has a certain je ne sais qoi".

queenie

Post by queenie »

hi bupster

i love "i'll get me coat"! i used to share a flat with an irish woman when i was at college and i always read this in her accent!

queenie
how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change...