Darcy's Fitness and Weight Management Club

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
queenie

Re: Weight gain with Drink - Take steps to lose it!

Post by queenie »

hi mg

well done telling the debt collectors to get lost. half the battle is giving them the run around. and is your son a wild boy like mine? my son is autistic and has adhd and what you write sounds like when my son was younger (he is in a special school now and gets a brilliant education and he has also calmed down as he got older).

well done on your day!

Q
how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change...

OlderMom

Post by OlderMom »

I'm in!

It's all tied together - I don't have the motivation to eat right & I'm anxious & uncomfortable & so I drink & then all I want is bread & cheese &&&&

I've never been skinny - but I'd like to be fit/healthy.

I don't have a Wii - but I have DDR - Dance Dance Revolution
Now THAT's a hoot! I guess that'll be one more goal for today - go home after work & do some DDR.

I DO think that, if I cut out the booze, I'll be able to loose weight just by that - but hope that it leads to other healthy habits.

I'm so hard on myself in every other area - I don't want to 'over-try' & then fail & give up.

Oh darn - I was in a positive mood for a bit there & now I'm getting weepy again.

Well - it's actually sunny out - I think I'll take a walk

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

My goals for tomorrow are to make a cupboardy tea. That's using only stuff in my cupboard and freezer (remember no processed foods - ouch!) and I'm going to make a soup tonight with the remainder of the veg left in the fridge from the weekend's dinners for my lunch.

All I do to make soup (if anyone is interested!) is of course boil the veg until its half done, season the veg and water with salt and pepper (not too much salt of course!) and maybe the odd dried herb if I'm feeling daring, then blend and simmer for a while longer (I like smooth soups and find them more filling). The reason I don't fully cook the veg is to retain some goodness - vegetables lose their good bits if over-boiled you know. If I use the big pan, I'll have enough soup for myself for a week, or the family for two meals.

No bread, and I eat only until I'm comfortably full -- NOT full to busting! So smaller portions help there because by the time I'm comfortably full I can't be bothered to go get more :lol:

Fruit, I need to go and buy, but I usually opt for a banana. Whilst being one of the naughtiest fruits, its also the most filling and a single banana can usually stave off any naughty food cravings during the day. This applies to drink too - if your stomach feels full, there's less of a desire to drink I find.

What do you think?

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

I'm eating home-made pizza and it tastes soooo gooood. I've decided that if I've made it myself it can't possibly be fattening. :D

Made it with stuff in my cupboards, all except the mozzarella which cost 47p at Aldi.
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

yay! Definitely not fattening ;) well not in comparison to a pizza hut :D

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

I've just started on the second half of the pizza that I had been planning to save for tomorrow. Juuust tooo goood. Very easy by the way - 200g strong white flour (I had Italian 00 in the cupboard so used that), splash of olive oil, pinch of salt, bit of honey, half a teaspoon of yeast, 4 oz (half a US cup) of warm water, mix it all in, knead, leave in a bowl on the radiator with a teatowel over it for half an hour, punch it a couple of times, leave it blah blah half an hour, spread dough on the back of an oven tray, bung toppings - I used some tomato puree, some pesto, some ham (all right, I had prosciutto), a couple of mushrooms, and a packet of mozzarella. Topped with parmesan because I'd put parmesan on my porridge. Soooo goood. Possibly not a diet snack. I may be the only person on this thread who reports a weight gain every day.
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

queenie

Post by queenie »

bup

i have a bread machine! it does that dough thing so well. i never eat bought pizzas but i love our home made ones!
how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change...

patty
Last Drink Date: 01 Dec 2017

Post by patty »

Hi everyone,

great thread, Im joining too and reading the posts have now decided to go to WW tomorrow as Ive not been for a few weeks.My goal is total abstinence so surely that will help a little. My problems are weekends. during the week I can be quite controlled, but the weekend :o can eat anything and everything thats put in front of me and always regret it by sunday night/monday morning I think I have about 2 stone to lose but will post tomorrow with what ww say :(

good luck everyone,

love pattyxx <:)>

ps. was thinking of getting a wii but are they really as good as everyone makes out??? Im going to dust of my treadmill anyway and remove the washing from it!!!!!!!

OlderMom

Post by OlderMom »

I DID go for my walk! Beautiful day outside - especially for rainy Seattle.
But - I did have 2 small slices of pizza before the walk.
Hubbie called & joked abt getting pizza fer dinner - we both need naps. The kidlet just threw a fit last night - heh, I remember THAT part at least.

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

aha! but you consumed the pizza before you walked ;)

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

is wii that good?
Liz. xxx.
Oh would some power the gift he gi us...to see ourselves as others see us

Kitty
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2011

Post by Kitty »

It's raining here too and I just split my fat lady trousers.
Have made resolve to walk to work tomorrow regardless of rain :roll:

Qwerty,
Sarah Miles thought so :shock:
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

queenie

Post by queenie »

Kitty

i had brownie for lunch having already had breakfast!

Q

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well you certainly better stick around on this thread then you piglet.

K x
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

Janette
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2008

Post by Janette »

I definatly have to loose weight, funny thing is my doctor never had a problem with it, mainly cause I think my blood pressure was always good. Thats America for you. Anyway, how much is a "stone"? Anyway, I'm gonna worry about that next week. I have been craving milk, and chocolate the last few day. (No, not because of that either) lol. I figure I went 3 yrs without touching the stuff, because it didn't sit well with beer, this week I'm going to induldge. :lol:
Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Hi Janette,
If I were you I would not worry about it too much at this point. I think if you want a treat have it, as long as you're not drinking that's the important thing. When first stopped I decided I would not deny myself food of any kind. I had too many years of drinking and not eating properly. The feeling of hunger can be confused with a craving for alcohol (I'm sure you already know that) so that can be risky in itself, especially in the early days of sobriety.

Hope you're doing ok

Kitty X

chrissie

Post by chrissie »

Hi everyone

Well this is a popular thread!

We have a Wii and Wii fit and I love it. Haven't been on it for a couple of weeks, so will join you in dusting it off. It's fun and it doesn't feel like real (ie boring) exercise and you don't have to go out in the rain to do it!!

I have been really good this week, so hoping for a result at ww tomorrow, but we did go out for a meal last night and I had half a pudding. However I managed not to have any wine and I figured half a pudding was better than alcohol and I wanted some sort of treat! Busy day today though and will be extra good before the weigh in tomorrow.

Oldermon - we have a dance mat somewhere, also for the Wii, I will dig that out as it was fun, thanks for reminding me!

Bupster - not sure detailed recipe for making pizza will help me lose weight! I have been saying no to a bread machine from my Mother for Xmas for years as I know what would happen - I have to steer clear of bread!!

Have a good day everyone, I'm out teaching today and busy tonight so will check in tomorrow to see how everyone is doing!

Chrissie xx
one day at a time

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Mmmm... cold pizza for breakfast....

You're quite right, I'm not helping myself or anyone else. I shall have porridge with raisins and honey for second breakfast (I'm a hobbit today) and be virtuous from then. I'll let you know how that goes....

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

Well I feel like death warmed up this morning! Just realised the kids have munched all of the nice cereals! My diet won't be starting until lunchtime :(

On the upside, I'm gonna whizz out later and buy some rice crispies or normal cornflakes for tomorrow.

Didn't get around to making soup last night either - so not too good a start, gonna have to get the big pan on now ready for lunch ;)

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Sally, there's all sorts of things you can have that are sooo much better than cereals. Pizza, sadly, isn't one of them. However, scrambled eggs is, or poached eggs on toast - it's not the bread that's the problem so much as the type of bread. If you can eat granary, you can have toast for breakfast no problem. White bread though will bloat you and leave you hungry 30 seconds later. Can you talk yourself into granary?

If not, and you can't face porridge (and I don't blame you, it's taken me a while to acquire this particular taste) can you try muesli? Drowned with raisins? Breakfast is a bit of a sod, because we're so used to shovelling in a quick, simple bowl of cereal, but nearly all of them are stuffed full of sugar and are really high GI.

Go on, frighten yourself. Read the ingredients.

If you're going to go with cereal, then get whatever you like best - crunchy nut, woo hoo! Better to be eating something for breakfast than nothing.

By the way, am following your progress and you're doing absolutely brilliantly. Don't get into knots over me and my breakfast strictures. I'm eating pizza, for God's sakes. :D <:)>

Love Bupster