Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Withdrawal / Kindling

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
User avatar
clanger
Posts: 264
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 22:21
Last Drink Date: 23 May 2016
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by clanger » 30 May 2016 20:23

caroline95 wrote:Congratulations on reaching Day 7 Clanger (::)
Thank you, caroline <:)> .

User avatar
Topcat
Posts: 29841
Joined: 15 Apr 2012 19:37
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011
Location: U.K
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Topcat » 30 May 2016 20:26

Well done Clanger (::)
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

User avatar
clanger
Posts: 264
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 22:21
Last Drink Date: 23 May 2016
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by clanger » 30 May 2016 20:29

Topcat wrote:Well done Clanger (::)
Thanks, Topcat, I wouldn't have known what to do without the support of yourself, Shadowlad and other members of this forum <:)> .

JosephusRivero
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Dec 2016 21:36
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by JosephusRivero » 24 Dec 2016 00:08

Hi fellow alcoholics. I'm nearly 3 days without a drink. I've been awake for most of that time, my eyeballs look like road maps. I spent most of last night pacing up and down the room. When I do sleep I get cold sweats and this weird pressure in my feet. I'm feeling a lot more relaxed tonight but It's nearly bedtime and this is the kinda spot where I reach for the booze. Wish me luck folks. All the best

JR

User avatar
clanger
Posts: 264
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 22:21
Last Drink Date: 23 May 2016
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by clanger » 01 Jan 2017 20:45

JosephusRivero wrote:Hi fellow alcoholics. I'm nearly 3 days without a drink. I've been awake for most of that time, my eyeballs look like road maps. I spent most of last night pacing up and down the room. When I do sleep I get cold sweats and this weird pressure in my feet. I'm feeling a lot more relaxed tonight but It's nearly bedtime and this is the kinda spot where I reach for the booze. Wish me luck folks. All the best

JR
Hey, JosephusRivero, stick with it, and well done on your success so far. How are you feeling now?

User avatar
chriscole
Posts: 3397
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 15:38
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014
Location: south cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by chriscole » 18 Mar 2017 12:09

Im into about my 15th hour of stopping drinking. Stupidly started morning drinking too,

I was sick twice a few hours ago & have managed some house jobs & a piece of toast.

Taken a multivitamin ,vit b complex & my campral again

Hope i dont puke it up

I might take some kalms too

Brains going crazy, anxiety is high, no sweating yet (thats usually at bedtime, the worst part of it all)
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

User avatar
Lush4life
Posts: 6059
Joined: 09 Mar 2016 11:06
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Lush4life » 18 Mar 2017 12:24

chriscole wrote:Im into about my 15th hour of stopping drinking. Stupidly started morning drinking too,

I was sick twice a few hours ago & have managed some house jobs & a piece of toast.

Taken a multivitamin ,vit b complex & my campral again

Hope i dont puke it up

I might take some kalms too

Brains going crazy, anxiety is high, no sweating yet (thats usually at bedtime, the worst part of it all)
Am certainly not a doctor drew but I do remember being told Thiamine was a very important thing to take , really I would advise the gp route but am glad you are facing up to things , take care , Kim ;)?
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

User avatar
chriscole
Posts: 3397
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 15:38
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014
Location: south cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by chriscole » 18 Mar 2017 15:19

Thanks kim

Forgot to mention yesterday while drinking the taste was starting to make me gag, its usually a good marker that my body had enough

Even the thought of a swig is making me feel sick, luckily its been a while since then.

18hrs approx now
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

User avatar
Lush4life
Posts: 6059
Joined: 09 Mar 2016 11:06
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Lush4life » 18 Mar 2017 15:39

chriscole wrote:Thanks kim

Forgot to mention yesterday while drinking the taste was starting to make me gag, its usually a good marker that my body had enough

Even the thought of a swig is making me feel sick, luckily its been a while since then.

18hrs approx now
Really pleased drew , I can see you are going to get back on track and ultimately back to you , great to read that , stay safe ;)?
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

DoneandDone
Posts: 1148
Joined: 03 Mar 2016 21:19
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by DoneandDone » 07 Nov 2017 11:05

#Scaring Myself Straight

Feeling the need to continue to contemplate the negatives of drinking. This from Wikipedia on the phenomena of Kindling

"Repeated acute intoxication followed by acute withdrawal is associated with profound behavioural changes and neurobiological alterations in several brain regions. Much of the documented evidence of kindling caused by repeated detoxification regards increased seizure frequency. Increased fear and anxiety and cognitive impairments are also associated with alcohol withdrawal kindling due to binge drinking or alcoholics with repeated alcohol withdrawal experiences. The impairments induced by binge drinking or repeated detoxification of alcoholics cause a loss of behavioural inhibition of the prefrontal cortex; the prefrontal cortex is mediated by subcortical systems such as the amygdala. This loss of behavioral control due to brain impairment predisposes an individual to alcoholism and increases the risk of an abstaining alcoholic relapsing. This impairment may also result in long-term adverse effects on emotional behavior. Impaired associative learning may make behavioural therapies involving conditioning approaches for alcoholics less effective.

Repeated acute withdrawal from alcohol which occurs in heavy binge drinkers has been shown in several studies to be associated with cognitive deficits as a result of neural kindling; neural kindling due to repeated withdrawals is believed to be the mechanism of cognitive damage in both binge drinkers and alcoholics. Neural kindling may explain the advancing pathogenesis and progressively deteriorating course of alcoholism and explain continued alcohol abuse as due to avoidance of distressing acute withdrawal symptoms which get worse with each withdrawal. Multiple withdrawals from alcohol is associated with impaired long-term nonverbal memory impairment in adolescents and to poor memory in adult alcoholics. Adult alcoholics who experienced two or more withdrawals showed more frontal lobe impairments than alcoholics who had a history of one or no prior alcohol withdrawals. The findings of kindling in alcoholism is consistent with the mechanism of brain damage due to binge drinking and subsequent withdrawal.


Failure to manage the alcohol withdrawal syndrome appropriately can lead to permanent brain damage or death."

********************************
NOTE TO SELF.
You cannot safely ever have a drink again. Ever. Get that.
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

QueenBee
Posts: 22
Joined: 28 Feb 2017 02:41
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by QueenBee » 08 Apr 2018 18:32

I feel like I am dying.

It has been nearly 3 days of not drinking (after 2 years of continuously drinking 2 bottles, sometimes 3 bottles of wine)

I think I'm suffering alcohol withdrawal...
I feel anxious, nervous, restless, sweats, heart palpitations, insomnia, shakes and tremors.

I'm having to deal with it all myself. My parents do not know the extent of my drinking. I can not go to GP as risk of having children Services involved (again).

Am I going to die?!?

User avatar
Lush4life
Posts: 6059
Joined: 09 Mar 2016 11:06
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Lush4life » 08 Apr 2018 18:59

QueenBee wrote:I feel like I am dying.

It has been nearly 3 days of not drinking (after 2 years of continuously drinking 2 bottles, sometimes 3 bottles of wine)

I think I'm suffering alcohol withdrawal...
I feel anxious, nervous, restless, sweats, heart palpitations, insomnia, shakes and tremors.

I'm having to deal with it all myself. My parents do not know the extent of my drinking. I can not go to GP as risk of having children Services involved (again).

Am I going to die?!?
No !
These are some of the symptoms of withdrawal.
But would say if you're that concerned it would be advisable to ring for advice , I know you said you can't but those children you worry about need you to be well enough to look after them?
If you can't cope I'd say time to get very honest with your parents, if they don't know they can't help.
All that said usually...but not always ,once past 3 days you will start to recover a bit , I would reiterate though if you feel that bad medical help it has to be and well done on 3 days x
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

User avatar
Topcat
Posts: 29841
Joined: 15 Apr 2012 19:37
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011
Location: U.K
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Topcat » 08 Apr 2018 19:15

QB - I agree with the excellent advice from Lush. If in doubt about your safety, please call for help. Alcohol withdrawal seizures are rare, but they can happen. Take care <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

User avatar
Newt
Posts: 12326
Joined: 25 Jun 2013 12:40
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014
Location: Resting on lily
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Newt » 08 Apr 2018 19:37

QueenBee wrote:I think I'm suffering alcohol withdrawal...
I feel anxious, nervous, restless, sweats, heart palpitations, insomnia, shakes and tremors.

Yep, that's about right, no hallucinations yet? I described my first few days as like malaria on acid when I first joined, I had no choice but to venture out to the shops during my acute phase, oh my god, never again.


I'm with TC and Kim on this, if you are genuinely freaked out then call for medical assistance but what you are desribing is quite normal, when I say normal I mean text book withdrawal symptoms, by my experience anyway.

Thankfully they begin to diminish soon after the alcohol has finally left your system which can be anywhere between 3 to 5 days, hang in there ;)?
Chin up and brew up

User avatar
SoberBoots
Posts: 5005
Joined: 08 May 2017 16:19
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by SoberBoots » 08 Apr 2018 20:33

QueenBee wrote:I feel like I am dying.

It has been nearly 3 days of not drinking (after 2 years of continuously drinking 2 bottles, sometimes 3 bottles of wine)

I think I'm suffering alcohol withdrawal...
I feel anxious, nervous, restless, sweats, heart palpitations, insomnia, shakes and tremors.

I'm having to deal with it all myself. My parents do not know the extent of my drinking. I can not go to GP as risk of having children Services involved (again).

Am I going to die?!?
I was drinking the same amount as you, but pretty much daily, for a very long time. Withdrawal's horrible - I went through it often enough to know what to expect and how to handle it. Basically you're processing massive amounts of poison. Everything you've described is normal in my experience, along with dreadful insomnia. Some people get the senstaion of crawling under their skin, or see things (I once or twice had the sense of blurry movement on the egde of my vision).

As everyone else has said, get medical advice if you believe you need it, particularly in view of children who need looking after.

If your recovery is the same as mine, you should start to feel a little better, if washed out and wobbly, before the end of a week sober <:)>

It's a good memory to store up though, to call upon in times of temptation, because this is a very clear demonstration that alcohol is not a comfort, relaxant, or crutch, it's a terrifying toxic addictive substance.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

User avatar
SoberBoots
Posts: 5005
Joined: 08 May 2017 16:19
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by SoberBoots » 08 Apr 2018 22:28

D&D - I was aware when I was drinking that I was in the most health damaging binge-withdraw-relapse cycle. Knowing it at the time justfuelled my despair and I drank even more to blot the fear out. Sadly our alcoholic brains (or rather the part of them that drives addiction) are not rational and reasonable, otherwise it would be a doddle to stop! These days I have to accept that it's one of the many past things that I regret but that it's not helpful to dwell on. I've done well so far by embracing sobriety wholeheartedly and as a great positive benefit in my life, focusing on the carrot rather than the stick.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

DoneandDone
Posts: 1148
Joined: 03 Mar 2016 21:19
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by DoneandDone » 09 Apr 2018 02:38

Hey SS howyadoin?

I wrote that about Kindling Nov 7 two weeks AF. This was a journal entry to kinda my self really. Wasn’t PREACHING lol,
I kinda use BE as a morning journal self recognition tool mostly. Its my morning sanity stop. Not selling my viewpoint. I hope peeps get that. My inner self talk sounds kinda didactic what can I say.

So at 14 Days AF what I wrote/quoted about Kindling was a shoring up my sobriety with every thing I could find, including the kitchen sink. Looking into Kindling was my throwing the kitchen sink at my own personal very early abstinence on the off chance it might prove helpful. I still don’t know enough about it.

Honestly I understand willful self destruction in other areas as you describe continuing to drink knowing it was harming you. This is the very definition of addiction a la Allen Carr. But I had no knowledge or worry about the physical effects on my body except in a vague way. I was seeking symptom relief from chronic pain and exasperated doctors could not help me. This justified my drinking. Sorta. I was in an agony of pain at times. And the vodka making it worse. D u m b.

As far as carrot stick. I am with you on carrot method as preferred. However as harsh as this knowledge is to accept for me learning about Kindling was an eye opener. I want to learn more.

DoneandDone wrote:#Scaring Myself Straight

Feeling the need to continue to contemplate the negatives of drinking. This from Wikipedia on the phenomena of Kindling

"Repeated acute intoxication followed by acute withdrawal is associated with profound behavioural changes and neurobiological alterations in several brain regions. Much of the documented evidence of kindling caused by repeated detoxification regards increased seizure frequency. Increased fear and anxiety and cognitive impairments are also associated with alcohol withdrawal kindling due to binge drinking or alcoholics with repeated alcohol withdrawal experiences. The impairments induced by binge drinking or repeated detoxification of alcoholics cause a loss of behavioural inhibition of the prefrontal cortex; the prefrontal cortex is mediated by subcortical systems such as the amygdala. This loss of behavioral control due to brain impairment predisposes an individual to alcoholism and increases the risk of an abstaining alcoholic relapsing. This impairment may also result in long-term adverse effects on emotional behavior. Impaired associative learning may make behavioural therapies involving conditioning approaches for alcoholics less effective.

Repeated acute withdrawal from alcohol which occurs in heavy binge drinkers has been shown in several studies to be associated with cognitive deficits as a result of neural kindling; neural kindling due to repeated withdrawals is believed to be the mechanism of cognitive damage in both binge drinkers and alcoholics. Neural kindling may explain the advancing pathogenesis and progressively deteriorating course of alcoholism and explain continued alcohol abuse as due to avoidance of distressing acute withdrawal symptoms which get worse with each withdrawal. Multiple withdrawals from alcohol is associated with impaired long-term nonverbal memory impairment in adolescents and to poor memory in adult alcoholics. Adult alcoholics who experienced two or more withdrawals showed more frontal lobe impairments than alcoholics who had a history of one or no prior alcohol withdrawals. The findings of kindling in alcoholism is consistent with the mechanism of brain damage due to binge drinking and subsequent withdrawal.


Failure to manage the alcohol withdrawal syndrome appropriately can lead to permanent brain damage or death."

********************************
NOTE TO SELF.
You cannot safely ever have a drink again. Ever. Get that.
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

User avatar
SoberBoots
Posts: 5005
Joined: 08 May 2017 16:19
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017
Contact:

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by SoberBoots » 09 Apr 2018 08:51

Wasn’t PREACHING lol,
Hey D&D, I didn't read it like that! I was just reflecting on the madness that is drinking. I'm so grateful to be free of it.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Post Reply