Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Quit Lit

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
jackie59

Quit Lit

Post by jackie59 » 19 Aug 2008 13:42

Has anyone tried to change their drinking habits with the help of this book. I'm half way through it and getting quite motivated. however, he says that you mustn't quite drinking until the end of the book! I'm sure it's all psychological? Any comments, welcome. jackie

its_me
Last Drink Date: 13 Jan 2010

Re: Allen Carr's Book

Post by its_me » 19 Aug 2008 18:55

I think it says if you have been alcohol free for 24 hours to continue to stay sober, or am I mistaken? Near the beginning of the book. I did it that way anyway, and did not drink. The first time I read it, I was REALLY into it. I was like "Whoa... I will never drink again". Erm, but that was 2 years ago. I managed to remain alcohol free for about a month though.

I thinK it's a great book and I recently had a look through. However, when re-reading it, it's hard to get back into the mindset that I was in when I first read the book. You have to grab the chance it gives you while you can, I suppose!

Leo Lebrun
Last Drink Date: 19 Apr 2009

Post by Leo Lebrun » 20 Aug 2008 00:47

jackie59 wrote:Has anyone tried to change their drinking habits with the help of this book.
Well... I have BOUGHT the book... Does that count? :oops:

It currently resides comfortably in my knickers drawer, so that no-one will accidentally see it if they visit my home.

Perhaps I will have a rummage around and attempt to read it.

Love to all,
Helen x.
It does not matter who I was.
It's who I am that matters.

queenie

Post by queenie » 20 Aug 2008 05:09

hi peeps

i bought it last year and got about half way through. it certainly helped while i was reading it but i slid back fairly quickly after i stopped. i might try again now as i seem to need a kick in the pants just now. :oops: i was doing really well but with some stress this week i have slid again. i need to get my head back into the right place.
how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change...

its_me
Last Drink Date: 13 Jan 2010

Post by its_me » 20 Aug 2008 09:28

Leo Lebrun wrote:
jackie59 wrote:Has anyone tried to change their drinking habits with the help of this book.
Well... I have BOUGHT the book... Does that count? :oops:

It currently resides comfortably in my knickers drawer, so that no-one will accidentally see it if they visit my home.

Perhaps I will have a rummage around and attempt to read it.

Love to all,
Helen x.

LOL! Mine is stuffed into a bag in the back of my closet!!! It's not a very discrete cover, haha.

Jemima

Post by Jemima » 20 Aug 2008 12:34

Hi Jackie and all,
I read the book, and like was said, got very motivated, which is one good reason for getting it. But it doesn't do the hard work for you, if you know what i mean.
I have relapsed alot since reading the book, as i keep trying to convince myself i can cut down (something the book disagrees with). However, I am not giving up hope. I used Allen Carr's smoking book to quit smoking. I read it once, put it down and a year later read it again with success. I think you really need to give yourself time to process these books - and build your confidence in the book and in yourself.
I agree with the not very discreet cover issue! I bought plastic cover paper for it!
Are there any other books to help non AA means of recovery people have read? There are some good posts on You Tube.
<:)>

danaM66

Post by danaM66 » 21 Aug 2008 01:30

I have the book also..I am about 1/2 way through it and if it hels me to cut down we are yet to see. I think it has some really good points and they make me think. I can totally relate to "hiding" it...I have mine on my nightstand table also. face down..

Dana

Kitty
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2011

Post by Kitty » 21 Aug 2008 15:44

The Allan Carr book really helped me, I tried to quit heavy drinking for years and never managed more than a couple of weeks before giving in. What I found with it is that it got me past those first very difficult weeks. Not one for self-help books I knew I had to totally throw myself into it without cynicsism and that's what I did. The phsycology behind it worked on me despite me being fully aware of what it was doing - I hope this makes sense - I forced myself to believe in it's philosophy. I also reread it and dipped into it at times of weakness.
The thing is it got me past the early hurdles where I had previously always fallen down. I think it is very clever the way it works, but as people have said it doesn't do the hard work for you. It worked for me because I was desperate, it had to work for me - so I made it work for me.

Kitty x
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

Amber

Post by Amber » 21 Aug 2008 21:41

Hi Kitty and everyone else who has read this book.I was wondering which book it is though,I had a look in the bookshop the other day and saw two books by Allan carr relating to alcohol,unless I was hallucinating in my sleep deprived state?? xx :?
The strongest among the weak is the one who doesn't forget his weaknesses.
- Danish Proverb

Amber

Post by Amber » 22 Aug 2008 03:54

Hi Hoping 1,thankyou for clearing that up,hmm so I wasnt hallucinating.Which book is the most helpful?or did you read both of them? If you have any other personal recommendations,I would be very grateful to know of them.I am trying to arm myself with as many self help books as possible right now.I have to say ,I felt a little embarrassed at the bookshop looking in the self help section relating to alcohol and was praying that no one would see what I was looking at/buying.Its near the medical/nursing section too and I have been dreading bumping into a colleague.Time to get over this embarrassment though,the books are for a friend anyway :lol: xx
The strongest among the weak is the one who doesn't forget his weaknesses.
- Danish Proverb

Lesley
Last Drink Date: 21 Apr 2008

Post by Lesley » 22 Aug 2008 09:10

Gday all - I got the book and read it a couple of years ago and it did nothing for me - maybe it wasnt the right time for me - now I should probably read it again - 123 days of sobriety today so it might be good to reinforce my motivation - Ive just finished work and its Friday night - temptation time! Some of the other books I have read have been a great help but that could be because I was ready to hear what they say. timing is everything.

Lesley xx
"Life is a journey - not a guided tour"

Kitty

Post by Kitty » 22 Aug 2008 10:30

I totally agree with what Lesley says, it has to be the right time for you for these type of books to work - there's no miracle as we well know.
The fact that one of the Allen Carr's is called 'Easy way to control' is part of the phsycology behind it. When I first picked it up I thought, great a book that will make me drink sensibly, and then what it does is it tries to talk you out of wanting to drink at all.
I think I'm done with my book now so if anyone wants it I'm happy to post it to them, so pm me if you'd like it anyone :D

Kitty x
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

Becs 39

Post by Becs 39 » 26 Aug 2008 10:37

I am reading the book a chapter at a time....it is by my bed and I tend to read it for 10 minutes before I get up.

Its effects seem quite subtle but, for me the book does seem to be hitting me on quite a deep level (and boy does it hurt when you get hit in the "deep levels".... :lol: )

There have been a few......"oh s**t that is me moments" while reading the book.... :(

I wouldn't call it inspiring rather, it seems (for me) to be helping erode my reasons for drinking and helping combat that initial "need" for that first drink, if that makes sense?

Along with the support of the 2 C's.....chocolate and cheese...the book is really helping me...

Becca
No act of kindness however small, is ever wasted.

Bupster

Post by Bupster » 26 Aug 2008 11:46

I have the book and haven't finished it yet, though I gave up smoking through his method. My only thing with the drinking book is that it's much easier to agree with him about the lies we tell ourselves about smoking - it really doesn't taste nice, and it really isn't a sociable thing to do. I found it harder to buy into those beliefs with drinking. However, haven't finished it, and will go back and read it again.
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

jackie59

Post by jackie59 » 26 Aug 2008 12:45

Yes, Thanks with your comments. I suppose there is no miracle cure!

I'm about half way through the book and then stopped reading it. I'm going to finish it off in the next couple of days though. I agree witht he comment about needing to believe it will help because something has to - I can't go on like this.

And, yes the cover isn't very discrete! I didn't want my husband to see me reading it - which is why it is taking me so long - my copy is hidden in the car!

C F

Post by C F » 27 Aug 2008 21:22

Im going to buy this book. Do you think Amazon is the best place to buy it? Just looked on ebay but its about a tenner on there with postage. There is a bookshop where I live but its so expensive!

jackie59

Post by jackie59 » 28 Aug 2008 11:25

I got it through Amazon. I couldnt' walk into a bookshop and go to the till with it! You don't neex a perfect "decent" copy though; get one of the "used" ones , which will be well cheaper.

Jackie

Kitty

Post by Kitty » 28 Aug 2008 11:48

Canary Fairy and anyone else, if you read back on this thread both Jos and I were offering our Alan Carr books to anyone who wants them - no one has bagged mine yet, not sure if Jos still has hers

Kitty x

C F

Post by C F » 28 Aug 2008 11:51

Thanks jackie59 and thanks Kitty. Jos has just PM'd me and kindly offered me hers. She wont take anything for it, but Im determined to negotiate with her :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty » 28 Aug 2008 11:59

That's good Canary, let us know how you get on with it.

Kitty x :D