Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Quit Lit

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Delpar79
Last Drink Date: 04 Oct 2012

Re: Allen Carr's Book

Post by Delpar79 » 05 Nov 2012 23:03

georgebest wrote:delpar if you get a pdf will you pass it on ()o want to read this book
Sure :)

ProudMum
Last Drink Date: 26 Jul 2012

Post by ProudMum » 05 Nov 2012 23:44

I looked & looked but couldn't find a downloadable version of Alan Carr. Found one of the Jason Vale book which is similar though, I purchased it through a book store & it needs some special reader software...

But you might be better at looking than me Delpar :D

hamsa

Post by hamsa » 06 Nov 2012 00:21

I downloaded it through iBooks on to my iPad.

Hamsa

Delpar79
Last Drink Date: 04 Oct 2012

Post by Delpar79 » 06 Nov 2012 00:24

Might just get it through Itunes I think.

tee
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2018
First Sober Date: 04 Jan 2018

Post by tee » 14 Nov 2012 08:35

OK, I realise this may be a futile exercise, on account of those peeps who have been successful may not choose to spend their days hanging around on here a lot (with the greatest respect). :roll:

But I'll put it out there anyway, as I'm thinking of buying the book, or not as the case may be. :?

Please please please, could anybody who has read the book let me know their opinion? Any good? Or a waste of money? :shock:

I need to try new things.
Perseverance is not a long race, it is a series of short races one after the other.

hamsa

Post by hamsa » 14 Nov 2012 14:35

Hi, Tee,

I found it very helpful. A bit of a chore to work through at times, but very good. I even bought it for my son who also has a drink problem. I told him to just read 1 chapter a day.

Hamsa

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 14 Nov 2012 14:42

Hi Tee.I read the Allen Carr book a while ago, and whilst I personally think there are better books out there, it's definitely worth a look.I just don't much like his style of writing, but he makes some good points and I totally agree with the premise that all the perceived 'benefits' of drinking are just an illusion - at least for those of us who have a problem with the old 'off button' malfunctioning.

If you were ok with sending me an address, I'd be happy to send you my copy - I was going to give it to a charity shop anyway.Otherwise it's probably quite cheap on Amazon.

Best of luck!

tee
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2018
First Sober Date: 04 Jan 2018

Post by tee » 14 Nov 2012 16:54

caroline95 wrote:whilst I personally think there are better books out there, it's definitely worth a look.
Hi Caroline and thanks to you and Hamsa for the replies. I'm so curious, you said there were better books out there? Just wondering what they are, could you give me some recommendations? My lovely OH bought me a kindle for my birthday so it would be SO nice to do something constructive with it, as opposed to him coming in from work work and finding me pissed AGAIN :roll:

Cheers and thank you so much for your replies - I know this site is huge but it is so easy to feel ignored when no one replies to your PMs or posts on here :oops: so nice one, much appreciated ;)?

xx
Perseverance is not a long race, it is a series of short races one after the other.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 14 Nov 2012 18:05

Hi again Tee.Ooh, a kindle, how exciting!I'll have to wait till the cost comes down, but a kindle is definitely on my wish list.

There are lots of recommendations on the Book Club thread here so that's worth a browse, but a couple of my personal favourites are :
Beauchamp Colclough : 'The Effective Way To Stop Drinking' (he counselled Elton John and John Thaw about their alcoholism).
Caroline Knapp : 'Drinking - A Love Story'.

I've heard many people on BE recommend Lance Dodes highly, especially his book 'The Heart Of Addiction', and the one I'm going to treat myself to soon is Damian Thompson's 'The Fix'.

There's also a short story by Marian Keyes I found really inspiring, called 'The Pissed is a Different Country, They Do Things Differently There' - it's in a collection titled 'Under the Duvet'.

If you ever feel you're being ignored sometimes, trust me, that's never the case - as you say, it's just because it's a busy site, and sometimes posts are overlooked.The trick is to shout a bit louder! :D

kaloo
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by kaloo » 03 Dec 2012 18:25

Anone know if this book works the second time round ?? X

geenarc

Post by geenarc » 09 Dec 2012 19:46

kalou1972 wrote:Anone know if this book works the second time round ?? X
Hi

yes it definatly is I have just raed it the second time.

To be fair I do not agree with all the things he says it reads a bit like a sales book at times and unlike Carr I don't see alcohol in the same black and white way he does I think many people can handle it and enjoy it its just that many other people myself included can not control it.

But thats enough of the negative the important thing is when you read it does help you stop and thats what its all about at the end of the day.

xcountry mom
Last Drink Date: 09 Dec 2012

Post by xcountry mom » 11 Dec 2012 00:02

Hello,

I'm new here and was looking for some good reading material. I just purchased Allen Carr's book and have read Caroline Knapp's book. It's a good book. It's good to revisit if you're having a weak moment because she really went through some tough stuff and it's motivation not to drink. It's her story. I'm looking forward to getting Allen Carr book and reading it. I also read 'Diaries of a Drunken Housewife', which again is someone's story but it was written in a way that was easy to relate to, with honesty and humor. I also did not find it as dark as the Caroline Knapp book.

MT Glass

Post by MT Glass » 15 Dec 2012 00:41

xcountry mom wrote:Hello,

I'm new here and was looking for some good reading material. I just purchased Allen Carr's book and have read Caroline Knapp's book. It's a good book. It's good to revisit if you're having a weak moment because she really went through some tough stuff and it's motivation not to drink. It's her story. I'm looking forward to getting Allen Carr book and reading it. I also read 'Diaries of a Drunken Housewife', which again is someone's story but it was written in a way that was easy to relate to, with honesty and humor. I also did not find it as dark as the Caroline Knapp book.
Just started Caroline Knapps book and within 2 pages can relate to it more than the Carr book,not saying its better but the way she explains here early "love" of alcohol is just how I saw it for many years.Where as Carr tended to go down the route of saying it was all an illusion.

georgebest
Last Drink Date: 19 Aug 2014

Post by georgebest » 24 Feb 2013 02:00

hey just read through this full thread, some good views on the book. ordered it on amazon earlier so looking forward to reading it now. will i be ok to read it even though i havent had a drink in 5 days ???????

ProudMum
Last Drink Date: 26 Jul 2012

Post by ProudMum » 24 Feb 2013 08:54

George, I was about a month sober when I read the book. I think he says if you're drinking, keep going, but if you're not that's fine :) I found it a real help. I also used guided self hypnosis tracks about stopping drinking. And Jen is so right, you need to come up with strategies for how to fill drinking time. I found lots of stuff to do, but BE is still one of my favourite hobbies ;)?

georgebest
Last Drink Date: 19 Aug 2014

Post by georgebest » 28 Feb 2013 19:24

ive read 8 chapters of allen carrs book and it only arrived today :o really good so far have a feeling i will read it twice already

ChilliBird

Post by ChilliBird » 12 Apr 2013 18:16

I'm nearly finished it, but want to read it again too. There were several 'aha' moments where something important and mind changing happened, and I want to write them down.

ChilliBird

Allen Carr's Book

Post by ChilliBird » 14 Apr 2013 08:11

Ok I finished it. Now in a dilemma though because the final chapter demands you have a final drink, and I stopped drinking before I started the book.

No one is reading this thread though. Think I will just trust my feelings on this. I don't need a final drink.

Jaxom
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by Jaxom » 14 Apr 2013 08:38

ChilliBird wrote: ..... No one is reading this thread though. Think I will just trust my feelings on this. I don't need a final drink.
Oh yes they are! Boo! Good decision ChilliBird. ;)? Anyway, you already took that final drink, just a bit earlier than Mr Carr intended. See? That's what cravings make you do: drink too early! :lol:

Dave
An Inuit story. An old man is talking to his grandson: 'Inside me are two dogs fighting: a black one and a white one.` `Which one will win?' asks the boy. 'The one I feed'

ChilliBird

Post by ChilliBird » 17 Apr 2013 06:25

Thanks guys.

I'm now reading Carrs book again. Going to make some notes this time.