Liver Disease and Tests

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
MDS1

Liver Disease and Tests

Post by MDS1 »

Hello everyone,

Went back to Doc's today to get results, ECG = heart is fine if a little fast. Blood pressure still marginally high but well down, acceptable range. Cholesterol = fine. Blood tests:- kidneys fine, Liver fine (WHAT!!!).... Blood sugars and everything else fine. Doctor bless her.... was as surprised as me!

I am relieved of course, but it's a double edged sword. Someone as arrogant as me Could take that as a green light to carry on boozing.

I will try not to, as it all really scared me- especially the blood pressure, I will probably need long term medication to keep it under control. Anyway, thought I would pass on the news, as many of you were rooting for me, and advised me not to worry too much. Thanks All!
Marcus Duane Stokes with the IQ of One

Netti

Re: Test results =( A SHOCK)

Post by Netti »

Hi MDS1

That's great news - I'm so pleased for you. What a relief. Try not to celebrate with too many drinks!

MDS1

Post by MDS1 »

Thanks Netti,

Great to see you on here, I honestly thought with the alcohol abuse I have self administered, my liver would have been like a dog biscuit :lol:
Marcus Duane Stokes with the IQ of One

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Thankgoodness for that! one hurdle over!

MDS1

Post by MDS1 »

I know I shouldn't really.... But I thought i would post a quick joke (sorry if you've heard it before) this is for comedy effect only, and highly unrecommended :D (netti get on with your work! ) ;)

Bloke walks into a bar at precisely 1105. Landlord is polishing the pumps and fiddling with barmats in an official way. Punter walks up and says "morning landlord" and is given the usual banter.

Bloke says "may I have a treble Brandy if you please Landlord"
Landlord says: (after a quick glance at his clock) "ermmm...certainly Sir"

Bloke downs the lot in a second. Shudders, coughs loudly, and says "I shouldnt have had that, with what I have got"

Landlord: "Why what have you got?"

Bloke: "A quid"

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

thats great news MDS1...i must say though I saw the title of the post and wasnt sure what to expect
my results after my test a few months ago were all fine as well....in fact he had never seen such a low cholesterol. so it goes to show that it does pay off to eat right and your amounts of exercise will help too, gets rid of toxins...bet you dont have any cellulite either :D
I am sure this will be an incentive for you to stick with less alcohol as you`ve been doing the past few days. Loved that joke....rotflmao
Life is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams..

Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi Duane,
That is the best news ever and must be such a weight off your mind. :D
I'm really happy for you. Smile and be happy for yourself too.
Jan

Anna

Post by Anna »

Hi MDS1,

Great news! Really glad all's ok.

I posted something for you on 'Hello Everyone' this morning concerning pigs..just a thought.

Anna.

angler

Post by angler »

Hello to everyone !
I have just regertered today.
I have been off the drinks for ten days.
I am compelled to respond to TEST RESULTS.
I also had possitive test results, wich led me to believe I could continue to drink.
Until I had a abdominal ultra sound for other reasons, it indicated to my surprise that I had a condition called FATTY INFILTRATED LIVER.
THATS THE FIRST STAGE OF LIVER DIEASE FROM INJESTING TOO MUCH ALCHOL.
I JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO KNOW THIS.
IT'S NOT MY INTENT TO FRIGHTEN ANYONE,BUT THIS CONDITION HAS NO SYMTOMS !
I struggle each day not to drink, but, this has been a tremendous motivator for me.
I wish everone much luck in their efforts.
I am open for comments, and hope this helps someone.

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Welcome Angler
thanks for the info on the liver stuff....wow i have never heard of that. I googled it just now and there is also NFIL which is the same thing but not caused by alcohol. Boils down to the same thing though. I also had an abdominal ultra sound, as part of a thorough check up, and fortunately everything was ok. But its good that you posted this so we are all aware of it. Although I am sorry to hear that you have it, it sounds as if you caught it in time though, what do the doctors say/advise?
Have you had a look over the various postings about the things people are taking to protect/cleanse their liver, milk thistle etc? This might be useful for you, as you probably now need some extra natural things to boost your liver function.
Well done for staying off the booze for so long, thats great. have you checked out Cheryls section on Recovering alcoholics? She has plenty of sound advice there.
Keep posting and welcome aboard....Stay strong.
Tessa

angler

Post by angler »

Alcholic fatty liver diease.
The only cure for this is to stop drinking, that means no drinking EVER, NOT EVEN ONE LITTLE DRINK THAT YOU THINK COULDN'T POSSIBLEY HURT ANYTHING, BUT WE ALL KNOW ONE LEADS TO ANOTHER.
If you continue it leads to hepatitus, then scaring of the liver.
Then you need a liver transplant or die !
We can't allow that to happen, WHAT A NASTY WAY TO END YOUR LIFE.
Well I hope I didn't come on too strong, but it made me to realize how important it is to stop this horrible addiction and habbit.
I hope I can make it, it's not a easy task, after over indulging for so many years, so many changes to make !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Hi ANGLER
Welcome,It Is a sad fact that alcohol causes so much misery and suffering,and Im really sorry that you have had to find this out now..
We will support you all we can in your battle to conquer this,I have lots of information on the effects of alcohol on the body and will post them on ALCOHOL SOME FACTS for anybody interested..
But you can only lead a horse to water you can't make him drink..
Thankyou for bringing this to everyones attention, I am sure it will help others more fortunate than yourself to at least think about it..
Please continue to stay dry,we'll help all we can and keep posting.
Fiendish,
It must be really hard to lose a friend to the very thing you are trying to battle...but maybe if your friend was alive today he would not want you to follow him!
So draw comfort from the fact that his death just maybe a strength for you to continue to fight..

Mike

Liver function tests.

Post by Mike »

There have been recent postings on this site concerning liver function blood tests performed by GPs. Naturally those who have been tested have been pleased and relieved when their routine liver function tests have proved normal, even after years of sustained heavy drinking.

Unfortunately the story does not quite stop there. Some people with established liver damage caused by alcohol may have routine tests in the normal range. The doctor will only check your liver comprehensively if he or she is fully aware of the true facts of your case i.e. exactly how much you have been drinking. Only then will your doctor request the additional tests which really matter. There are several such tests, but the well known one is the GGT which is an enzyme produced by the liver to metabolise alcohol. GGT levels can become very elevated in response to chronic excessive alcohol consumption, and are an indication of hazrdous or even harmful levels of drinking.

So if you are truly worried about the effect your drinking may be having on your liver, have a full and frank conversation with your doctor. Don't celebrate your apparently normal tests with another drink.

Trust me ........

Mike.

Mike

Re: Liver function tests.

Post by Mike »

Hi Darcy,
For more information listen to BBC Radio 4 Case Notes broadcast ealier this week. The title of this weeks program was The Liver. Use the "listen again" feature on the Radio 4 web page. You will find warnings about excessive drinking (sorry), and worrying estimates of how much is too much. Also information about new lab tests, new instrumentation and how obesity can give you a fatty liver.
So we all have to stop drinking and lose weight.
Mike.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi All,
The longer I spend browsing the various posts on this site the more likely I am to indulge in some verbal doodling myself. The following may or may not be useful to someone. Despite not drinking, one of my liver funtion blood tests refused to normalise. Month after month it came back abnormal. Not vastly abnormal but definitely outside the normal range. I knew about the claims made for Milk Thistle so when I found it on special offer at Holland and Barrett I bought a bottle and started taking two capsules a day. I was totally taken aback when my next test came back well inside normal limits. I cannot stress enough that this is purely anecdotal and not based on any scientific study but only on my personal experience. Neither do I hold shares in any health food chain. I don't believe I am saying all this. I was trained as a scientist and I should not be endorsing this type of supplement, but it worked for me.
Mike.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jaycee,
Thanks for saying thanks. Remember, you saw it here first !
Mike.

MDS1

Post by MDS1 »

Hiya Mike,

Sound advice from you there- as you know my blood tests came back completely normal. My Doctor was as surprised as me. Actually I do not believe the test, all rationality says it's wrong or incomplete. I did however explain to my Doc that I consume as much as 30 units a day sometimes.... on a bender often more than that.

She nearly fainted at that frank admission. Her explaination (a fidgety, hesitant one at that) was down to years and years of rigourous exercise, a clean and nutritious diet, a genetically high tolerance for alcohol (eh?) and Milk Thistle. (I told her my supplementation regime as well)

Years ago I took private regular blood screening tests for SGOT and other enzymes, because I was a competitive athlete, and no stranger to physical enhancenment drug cycles. That often revealed elevated enzyme activity, despite consuming no alcohol whatsoever. I think common sense has to play here... no person can abuse forever.

Keep it sober Mike, I am trying. ;)

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Mike thanks so much for that.
I know people have mentioned Milk Thistle on here before and I just havent been out to search for it yet. Will do that on my afternoon walk tomorrow. Nature is a form of science isnt it??? I know what you mean though :D
Thanks again
Tessa xx

MDS1

Post by MDS1 »

If I may,

Contraversial comment this.... I was informed by a student doctor recently, (please note a student and not qualified) that his theory was that alcohol consumption in western society is not actually the cause of serious physical maladies in heavy drinkers, but the lifestyle associated with it.

I of course queried this statement with vigour. :shock: I will try to briefly explain this bright young man's viewpoint. Alcohol in Europe has been around before God was a boy, and there is anecdotal (if weak) evidence that agriculture of grains, wheat, etc. was cultivated to an excessive point, not to make enough bread to cover lean times, but to persevere the pursuit of Beer/lager/mead/barley wine production.

I may not be explaining this well, but this particular viewpoint stuck in my head. It's not the ACTUAL booze that kills you... but the wicked disregard for nutrition, daily chores, haphazard sleep patterns and scant disregard for other life enhancing essential daily neccessesities, that alcohol almost makes you do, that ruins your life.

A simple statement: whoever eats a kebab sober???

In other words, it's actually the habits associated with alcohol that kill you... shyte diet, inactivity, lazy attitude, sense of loss, eventual obesity- combined with the other crazy things we do... Booze is the catalyst. Not technically the final "reason".

theory, thats all. Not sure I agree with it actually, but some of it makes sense.

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Thanks MDS1
the student is not qualified for what? Is anyone qualified for a theory?
Thank you, contraversial is good. You explained it very well, and i will be honest and say, this has often been an excuse for me to not worry as much as i "could" about my intake in the past....and knowing for myself, that health and diet have made a difference, as i see they have done for you too. Sue mentioned in her last post which i havent yet replied to, but i will, that she tends to skip food, which was quite often the case for me for a couple of months, once you start to drink a glass of wine, the desire to eat has gone. And I have trained myself back into the routine of eating, because i love food and i love cooking, more than i love drinking. It took a while for me to force myself back into the routine of cooking and eating and enjoying all of that, by not eating i was punishing myself, and i was very conscious of that. Now i am kind to my body no matter what, even if i experience a bump on the road and drink a few glasses of wine.

I hated ironing, now i love it, its therapeutic, alcohol made me ignore the little things in life that make a difference to our entire well being. I am gradually welcoming them back in my life. Your informant is a very clever person MDS1...thats all i can say.
Tessa xxx