Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Liver Disease and Tests

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Denise1973
Last Drink Date: 17 Feb 2011

Re: Liver Disease and Tests

Post by Denise1973 » 18 Jan 2011 15:12

I quit drinking after new year with two, two evening relapses after that. I don't drink during the day, just at night. Over the years my alcohol consumption has increased. I have made the decision to give it up. I have had other motivating factors that have helped me make that decision. Also the wine has contributed majorly to my weight gain and I am now 4 stone overweight. Gone into the obese catagory as I am ony 5ft 3.

Just had results of blood test. My liver is overproducing an enzyme. Should read between 10 and 35 and mine reads 41. Doctor asked me if I drink and I told her I did.

I have to return for more tests in two weeks. In the meantime I will eat healthily and exercise and hope that the results come back better...or, if not better...I have to go for a scan to see if it may be fatty liver.

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy » 18 Jan 2011 15:23

Hi Denise1973,

Dont worry yourself over the reading, that is'nt that high at all and if it is elevated due to alcohol it should return to normal in no time if you stay AF in the mean time :-). Good luck, I know it's not easy to not worry, but try your best :)

Andy
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

Denise1973
Last Drink Date: 17 Feb 2011

Post by Denise1973 » 18 Jan 2011 15:29

Thats comforting thanks Andy. I was crying before.

Good luck with the marathon. (::)

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy » 19 Jan 2011 07:01

Not an expert or anything but from what I understand unlike most organs the liver is actually very good at repairing itself.
Go it to any tests expecting some improvement and hopefully you'll be positively surprised :-)

Good luck I'm sure it will be good news :-D

Andy
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster » 19 Jan 2011 20:12

Hey Michelle <:)> <:)>

I remember you. I joined in feb 2008 or was it 2007 - Hell I dont remember but I do remember your funny goaty smile.

I think you possibly may remember me as Byron. I left and then rejoined with a new user name.

anyway - its good to see you back and fighting on. Im still here - went away and drank again but Im back on the wagon with the support of everyone here.

As Andy has said, the liver is very good at self repair and as long as you give it time to heal, dont hurt it anymore you should be ok I think.

Good to see you hun <:)>

Julie
x
AF2011 number 10

Maddie
First Sober Date: 16 May 2020

Post by Maddie » 19 Jan 2011 20:43

Hi Michelle, I remember you as well. You'll probably remember me as Darcy. That's great you've not had a drink since July, though I should imagine the test results you had must have been pretty scary stuff.

There's a lot of information posted on the internet that suggests the liver does repair itself if it's given the chance to, so fingers crossed you'll be fine. If I was you, I'd be thinking I was very very lucky to have had a stark warning that then resulted in making the necessary changes before it's too late. Not everyone is that lucky.

Maddie X
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Marilyn Monroe

Myra Leaf
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2011

Post by Myra Leaf » 28 Jan 2011 17:57

Good luck with that. Will be thinking of you. Do let us all know how you get on. X <:)>
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
Albert Einstein

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 04 Feb 2011 15:41

You, m'girl, are a total star! \:)/ (::) \:)/

I'm so chuffed for you, Michelle - that's fabulous news, and that's news that you've created for yourself, through your own efforts. So make sure you have an absolutely smashing weekend spent feeling great about yourself!

I hope this thread keeps getting bumped so that everyone gets to read it: thanks for sharing, Michelle - it's a good warning about the effect of alcohol; but it's also a marvellous reminder of hope, and of what can be achieved! ;)?

Best wishes,
Mark
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

notorious

Post by notorious » 06 Feb 2011 12:07

Hi All

I haven't posted in this section before...

So, after my uber binge after which I was hospitalised, miles from home, for 17 days in May with both severe withdrawal (tremens etc, the whole bit, the scariest experience which I wouldn't wish on anyone) and alcoholic hepatitus, and subsequent re admission in July when my liver stopped working properly again, I'm off for my second 3 monthly liver check up tomorrow (the first follow up back in October showed a marked improvement, but still with an elevated Gamma GT (?) level. I think...).

I've no right to expect to be physically better after the battering my body's carelessly recieved over such a long time, but having maintained abstinance since May, and really looking after myself, I'm hopeful this time I'm on the right road. Shocking to think what I've done to the liver. Anyway, hoping for the best.

Oh and well done michelle. I notice you're from Surrey / Hants border. Coincidentally, that's where I was in Hospital (Frimley Park, I worked away from home during the week). Small world (well forum) an all that!

pinkie
Last Drink Date: 14 May 2011

Post by pinkie » 06 Feb 2011 13:17

Good Luck Notorious

You deserve another improvement after your continued sobriety, which as we all know isn't easy!!

Jane x

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster » 08 Feb 2011 07:09

Good luck Notorious <:)>
AF2011 number 10

fearoftheunknown

liver damage

Post by fearoftheunknown » 13 Feb 2011 00:18

hiya,
Just joined this forum tonight after browsing the internet for hours looking for some answers, I hope someone can help please, as I am basically petrified at the moment.

I have been a drinker for about 10 years, ranging from the occasional tipple, to binge drinking in uni, then weekends out with friends etc, all normal or so I thought, I didn't bat an eyelid and apart from the obvious hangover I have not had any other visable problems.

About a year ago I went through a bad relationship split, and turned to drink BIGTIME, at one point some months I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a night, 6 days a week. After one particular bad hangover in work back in December I basically had a word with myself and decided it was time to cut right down before I did do some serious damage.

I stopped drinking in the week, and limited myself to two or three units a day on the weekend, however, last weekend I got up in the morning after having 4 pints of lager the previous nite and I had a sharp pain going down my right side, at the time I didn't think that much of it as it was a moderate pain which then disappeared the following day. But, it's happened again today after having 3 pints of lager last night...

I have been reading stuff on the internet tonight and I am now worried sick that I have done some serious damage to my Liver as it said somewhere that you can expreience abdominal paid on the right side, i am so scared right now I don't know what to do with myself, I'm embarrassed to tell my GP or family and I don't know where to turn. I don't know if I'm being OTT here but would love some advice??

snoopy
Last Drink Date: 02 Oct 2016

Post by snoopy » 13 Feb 2011 21:53

hi. try not to panic. Try to cut down on drinking for next week or so (this has probobly turned you off it for a while anyhow). Dont be embarrassed - make apppt at gp and tell them about pain in right side. Say it seems to happen after drinking. You can always play the quantity you drink down - most people do. Get a Liver Function test done - which is a blood test (may have to go back and see nurse for this). It will put your mind at rest and if there is a problem it will be real and addressed rather than imagined and ignored.
best wishes for good health.
I dont drink because my life is better without it

fearoftheunknown

Post by fearoftheunknown » 13 Feb 2011 22:44

hi Mich, and snoop,

thanks for your replies, I am feeling much better and I am defo going to give it up for a while an see how it goes as I have scared myself so much. I'm 34 Mich but didn't really drink that much until my mid twenties and no-where near as much as I have been in recent years.

As prev, the pain has gone completley today, I think the internet has made it worse cos I read so much stuff I was convinced I had liver failure at one point and kept looking at myself in the mirror to see if I was going yellow!!! Is this maddness or what? ? lol I have also read a lot of stuff about helping your liver re-generate as you said Mich, it can do this. Don't know if anyone knows anything about the herbal remedies such as milk thistle etc? whether it's worth giving it a try?

Giving up the drink in the week is not bothering me at all, but I am concerned about the future, as in, shall I never drink again? is the odd tipple ok? I guess as you both said, i need to see my GP, I was just so scared yesterday I was thinking I can't face this, I don't want my doctor to tell me I have done serious damage to myself :-( but as snoop said, I do need to address this.

I love having a drink with friends on the weekend, and I think this is part of the problem, if I'm told I can never drink alcohol again because of my abuse in recent years, then it comes down to how much I value my health I suppose, I also feel upset with myself for getting to this stage in my life where I need to be worrying about my drinking, I look at my friends and think well you all drink the same as me and your all ok...:-(
anyways, thanks for responding and I shall get myself off to the docs very soon xx

snoopy
Last Drink Date: 02 Oct 2016

Post by snoopy » 13 Feb 2011 23:21

glad you are feeling a little better in yourself. two bottles of wine a night is too much if its 6 nights a week. You may want to try to moderate your drinking. Why not try the 7 day challenge? You could plan a quiet weekend next week and I know there are a few folks on day 1 so you would have lots of support and company. Like you, I know I cant stop drinking completely forever, but have done two weeks so far, and ideally will stick with it to end of feb. I would like to drink socially with friends when on meals etc, in sensible amounts - couple of glasses. good luck with whatever you decide and if you visit the gp let us know how you get on. fingers crossed x
I dont drink because my life is better without it

Tam

Post by Tam » 14 Feb 2011 07:35

fearoftheunknown wrote: I think the internet has made it worse cos I read so much stuff I was convinced I had liver failure at one point and kept looking at myself in the mirror to see if I was going yellow!!! Is this maddness or what? ?
Hi Fearoftheunknown,

I can certainly sympathise with how you feel about the internet making things worse. I am very inquisitive by nature and had myself diagnosed with every ailment alcohol can cause by the time I had finished on the internet, including Jaundice!!!! I too have had the types of pains you mention, which have totally cleared up now. I even went to talk to my doc, and she assured me I was in no way at all Jaundiced!!! I did at one point have some discolouration around the corner of my eyes, but am glad to say that after nearly 5 weeks of abstinence that has totally cleared up. It can't hurt if you are that worried to take a visit to your GP. I was sure after years of binge drinking (due mainly to my age/scottish culture - it being the done thing around here, that developed into a more extreme habit for the past 5 years due to a marriage breakdown and other extreme family circumstances) that I was sure to be on the verge of liver failure. However I was plesantly surprised to find that all of my tests came back completely normal :o A great chance to grab what I see as a 2nd chance at life. I am now taking all of the support that is available to help me beat this demon. Both through medication and counselling.

I too share your worry about never being able to have a drink again, and often this can be a driver for relapses when we are on our road to recovery. I would suggest not looking too far into the future at the moment. Take it a day at a time, give your body some time to breathe and heal. Then when you feel stronger then take the time to sit down and consider these things and make a plan. I know many people that have pulled it back in again and are able to revert back to a 'normal' drinking pattern. I too will face this new battle once I feel I am up to it. I love a good glass of wine with dinner/friends, but I'm just not sure yet if that will ever be possible again.

Anyway this is turning into a bit of an essay - lol! Here if you need to talk, and I hope all goes well with your doctor. Let us all know how it goes.

Tam x

Tam

Post by Tam » 15 Feb 2011 16:56

Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for the congrats, I really am very pleased with how far I have come and I really couldn't have done it without all of the great support/encouragement I have been given!

I do fear what the future holds for me as far as alcohol goes. Part of me I think is already beginning to accept I may never be able to touch another drop, as the will I/won't I dilemma was always the biggest problem for me. I have could say no to the first I was fine, but if I caved at that initial point is was quite literally like a flood gate opening. But I guess that will all come in time.

Session went great with my counsellor yesterday she really has been a blessing too.

So I'm at a good age to stop then (31), hopefully that will stave off too many extra wrinkles etc from all the poison I have put into my body - lol! I have now actively started back running, and at the gym, so hopefully that will help.

Anyway got to go

Take care.
Tam

london bloke

Post by london bloke » 15 Feb 2011 17:07

31 is a great age to stop.

In fact, what ever age you are, it's a good age to stop !
Alcohol = Anxiety: I have suffered for years.
Sobriety = Freedom: I have tasted freedom, and I want it more.

d2b

Post by d2b » 22 Feb 2011 00:24

Are there any signs or symptoms of liver failure ? I know I should go for a test but I am too lazy.

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 22 Feb 2011 03:24

You could read up about it yourself :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_disease
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!