Animal Companions (aka Pets)

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Re: Animal Companions (aka Pets)

Post by Sheila »

Finkey it's such a shame your poor dog gets so scared, I really don't know what the answer is now for you both <:)>
Thankfully we don't get too many thunderstorms <:)>
#4 on the 2021 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Puppygirl
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2013

Post by Puppygirl »

Hi Fresh-start, lovely to see the litter of cockers, they look very content and I'm glad to see that they seem to have been docked. That should avoid any problems with tail damage in the future - undocked spaniels can suffer terrible injuries as their long waggy tails are so vulnerable to injury. Cockers are happy, busy little creatures, bright as buttons, and usually very quick to learn and desperate to please their owners. Joining a forum to pick up tips on their character, training etc, would be a good idea, especially if this is your first cocker. Just knowing about traits like their instinct to "quarter" and not walk in a straight line can be really helpful when learning about the breed. How many bitches do you have to choose from? They are such bonny pups, I don't envy you trying to make your decision - we once had a family spend 3 hours trying to decide between 2 identical black Labrador pups - they ended up buying both!

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Post by MissCheese »

Finley, have you tried a Thundershirt?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... j2cqmww7_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dorwest Herbs also do a tincture of Skullcap and Valerian, not cheap though.

Smudge how is your Lurcher doing?

Loving the Cocker pups Nic and Jess looks very comfortable in her bed Sheila.
MissCheese

Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Hi MC <:)>

Yes she loves her new bed ;)?
I was concerned how last night and this morning would be with her having the freedom to get up and roam around but I stuck to my normal routine and when I came down she was still asleep in her bed :o
When she opened her eyes she looked surprised, then she started wagging her tail, got up and gave me a lovely welcome :lol:

How are your boys doing?

I was wondering about your dog too Smudge <:)>
#4 on the 2021 Challenge

Finley

Post by Finley »

Aaah Sheila - give Jess a hug from me and my dawg <:)>

Miss Cheese - thanks for the tips. I will look at the thundershirts when we get back from our walk ;)? also the tincture. I know valerian works for me so will look into the dog version too xx
I want to be the best me I can be ...

fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2021

Post by fresh-start »

Morning all!

Sounds like Jess had a very good nights sleep in the new des res!

Thanks Puppygirl!

Well spotted, yes, their tails were docked at 3 days old! Was wondering why they did that but now I know!

We have 5 girls to choose from. Any tips?

What is quartering!? :?

I've registered her with our local vets already and enquired about puppy training classes! :D

Nic x
#10 on the 2021 Challenge

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

fresh-start wrote: Well spotted, yes, their tails were docked at 3 days old! Was wondering why they did that but now I know!
My understanding is that docking is only deemed advisable if the spaniel is to be a full time working dog.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese »

I thought the laws on docking had changed and that it was much more difficult to do these days unless you could prove that the dog was being used for sport, also that a Vet had to dock the animals.

Quartering is the pattern that the dog moves across the ground to flush game Nic. They do it to some degree naturally but it does require further training. Are you going to be hunting with her?

Glad Jess' first night of freedom went well Sheila.

My boys are doing OK, had a nasty accident on Sunday while one of them was off hunting in a wood, must have run across some old barb wire and ended up needing staples on his leg, he got a two inch gash on the front of his leg, you could see the muscle and bone :shock: It isn't bothering him though.
MissCheese

Puppygirl
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2013

Post by Puppygirl »

The rules on docking changed under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act. Vets can legally dock pups of certain working breeds if the owner of the litter meets certain criteria and can show that some or all of the pups are destined to be used for working. All legally docked pups should be micro chipped and be sold with all the correct legal paperwork, completed by the litter owner and vet who did the docking.

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese »

It's banned in it's entirety north of the border and to be honest I didn't realise that the breeder only needed to prove that some of the litter might be used for working purposes in order for the entire litter to be docked. There is no need for a companion animal's tail to be docked.
MissCheese

Sheila

Post by Sheila »

MissCheese wrote: My boys are doing OK, had a nasty accident on Sunday while one of them was off hunting in a wood, must have run across some old barb wire and ended up needing staples on his leg, he got a two inch gash on the front of his leg, you could see the muscle and bone :shock: It isn't bothering him though.
Sorry to hear that MC, must have been scary, how's he doing now, still ok?
#4 on the 2021 Challenge

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Oh thats a shame MC, how is he now?

My dog won't be used for hunting, she is just going to be a pet. :D I didn't know that they were all going to be docked, must be something they routinely do. They looked ok though, in fact, I didn't even notice they'd been docked!

We've had another name change. We've gone from Eva, to Chloe and now its Holly!

x

Finley

Post by Finley »

Oh Blimey. We are having a humdinger of a thunder storm :evil: Dog has been going berserk (while I was on phone to bank, trying to open a business account). He really is at risk of hurting himself and destroying the flat - so I have put him in his crate. He isn't happy at all, but it seems to be the only way I can contain him. HELP - does anyone think this is totally the wrong thing to do?

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Fin <:)>

Does he feel nice and secure in his crate?

Poor thing.

xx

Finley

Post by Finley »

Well, he was still panting heavily and turning around and around, but not trying to get out. He has already tried to get in my kitchen bin and also behind the back of my filing cabinet and in the hall cupboard (where there are lots of hazards to him), so it felt like the most contained and safest place for him really. I've let him out now and he's a little calmer since the thunder has settled - fingers crossed it stays that way :(

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese »

Can you put a blanket or something over his crate so that he feels enclosed, Finley? Might help him feel secure.

Sugden is fine thanks Sheila & Nic <:)>

Docking was routine until the law changed Nic and now it is not considered a routine thing to do. Shame you weren't told by the breeder but I guess it doesn't cause any hurt in the long term.
MissCheese

Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Finley I was going to suggest the same thing as MC, covering the cage might make him feel safer. I hope he's calmed down by now, must be so distressing for you both <:)>
I went bowling after lunch when the thunder was in swing and all I could think of was you and your poor dog <:)>

Re the tail docking conversation, I've never understood why it's done, if mother nature intended dogs to have short tails, they would have evolved that way surely?

There are many 'working dogs' around where I live, labs, springers and the like, and I've not seen one of them with a docked tail. I honestly didn't think it was done anymore.

Jess is still loving her new bed, and the funniest thing is she won't get out of it till I crouch on the floor in front of her and hold my arms open for a cuddle :lol:
That's what I always did when I opened her crate door :lol:
#4 on the 2021 Challenge

Finley

Post by Finley »

Thanks girls - I did put a blanket over the crate - and it's all padded and soft with a doggie bed and blankets inside. Not sure whether it made a difference, but couldn't think of anything else. The thunder has passed (for now at least) and he is much calmer and happier xx

Finley

Post by Finley »

Hmph. Spoke to soon. Just took him out and he was about to go to the toilet when there was a clap of thunder so he bolted for home :( Have put him back in his crate but he will be desperate to go out again before too long. I did put him on the lead and try to persuade him to stay out for a bit - but no way. That'll be me trailing out again as soon as it looks as if we might have a thunder free moment :evil:

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Finley - so sorry to hear of your poor dog. Hope all the storms clear soon and you both get some rest (and he gets to "go" alright later) <:)> <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.