Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Animal Companions (aka Pets)

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 24 Feb 2020

Re: Animal Companions (aka Pets)

Post by fresh-start » 27 Aug 2014 13:43

What do you feed Bert on April?

Holly will be fed on Bakers when she leaves the breeder but we've been told its poor quality and to put her on Royal Canin Cocker Puppy gradually.

What do you think?

Nic x
#10 on the 2020 Challenge

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 27 Aug 2014 13:58

Hi Nic, sorry to butt in here, but I just wanted to say that the breeder I got Jess from used Royal Canin and said it was the best she'd ever tried and will always use it in the future.
We've continued to feed Jess on it and she's done brilliantly ;)?

I order mine on line from Petsupermarket.com as they were the best priced, but it's best to search around as there's usually offers!

Off to France again in the morning, I wonder if Jess will remember it :lol:
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

aprilstart
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1915

Post by aprilstart » 27 Aug 2014 14:15

Hi Nic, We feed Bert on a mixture of things - a handful of Bakers beefy chunks is one of them but James Wellbeloved kibble is the main thing (actually I'll check that out for you when I get home, I'm pretty sure that's what it is). However when he was a puppy we used puppy specific stuff and I think Royal canin was one of them and James Wellbeloved. (I can't remember now tbh). His breeder was feeding the puppies Weetabix as a weaning food - Berts sister and mum are both crufts champions so she must have known what she was doing.
I'd go for Royal canin and look on the cocker spaniel website to see what others recommend.
I know we were besides ourselves when waiting to pick Bert up. When we first got him we were getting up at about 5am to go and say hello. (Pay for it now though as he is an up with the first light dog - always has been) :D

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 27 Aug 2014 16:34

I avoid Bakers Complete because it has colours in.

Just remember when choosing dog food - the manufacturers have designed the food and the packaging to be appealing to humans, not dogs. Dogs really don't care if food is colourful. And another thought... Are the same rules applied to dog food as are applied to human food? Somehow I would doubt it. There may well be food colours which have been banned for humans for various reasons but they might still be used in dog food. So it is probably best if they are just avoided. The same arguments could be used for preservatives, although avoiding those might be more problematic. Nobody wants their dogs to eat rotting food...

Just thought I would put in my twopence-worth. :D
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 27 Aug 2014 22:43

Oh my goodness there are some lovely animals on here. Anne Marie your Bertie has a very kissable face, and look at them eyes ! He's beautiful.
And Sheila, i've always thought your little doggie is a right cutie. I will put a picture up of our border collie (Lucky)
and three moggies soon. Looking forward to seeing Fresh start's new puppy too ;)?
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 28 Aug 2014 05:41

Thanks Nicky, I think she's cute too, but then I would wouldn't I :lol:

Yes Nic, any more puppy pics yet?

I've been watching the Young Vets programme early evenings and so has Jess. She gets herself all comfy in front of the telly and actually watches most of it :lol:

She stops whatever she's doing when dogs appear on the telly!

The other evening we were watching The Secret Life Of Dogs which was about aggression, and she was barking at the dogs on that :lol:
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Finley

Post by Finley » 28 Aug 2014 09:19

:lol: Sheila - my dog enjoyed that too - and barked when the dogs were making a noise on the telly :lol:
I want to be the best me I can be ...

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start » 28 Aug 2014 09:42

Thanks for the dog food advice April, Smudge and Sheila!

Sounds like Royal Canin is the way forward Sheila.

I've been following that young vets programme too, its great isn't it! Got the Secret Life of Dogs recorded to watch at the weekend! Bless Jess barking at the telly!

Have a lovely holiday Sheila and Jess!

No more puppy pics yet but I think we may be choosing her this weekend so more to follow! \:)/ She is 3 weeks old today!

Shadow, looking forward to seeing your pics!

x

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Post by MissCheese » 28 Aug 2014 13:22

Another NO vote for Bakers from me! If your dog has behaviour problems and you take it to see a behaviourist the first question they'll ask is what you are feeding! Food is hugely important.

I feed the best food I can afford and often I can't afford it but it is better spent on food than on Vet's bills later on down the line. This website is a brilliant resource for checking whether the brand you feed is any good...

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feed Naturediet wet food in the evening and Burns Complete Chicken and Rice for a snack in the morning.
MissCheese

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start » 28 Aug 2014 14:17

Ah yes, I've been referred to that page too MC but it just confused me even more!

Bit annoyed with the breeder at the moment as she hasn't been in contact to say when we can choose Holly and I don't want to be the one with the last choice when in fact I was first to reserve one! Boy I am grumpy today! :shock:

aprilstart

Post by aprilstart » 28 Aug 2014 20:59

Oh dear fresh start, hope you don't get messed around and that you do feel that you really get the right pup for you. We were allocated bert - because we didn't want to show or work him they let the ' serious' buyers pick. I like to think I'd have picked my boy out even at that age.
Didn't realise bakers was so bad! He only gets a handful so I'm not going to change it now but would not use it as main food now. Thanks for the tips.
Sheila and Finley, I'd love to see your pooches barking at the TV. bert responds to doorbells - when one goes off on TV he goes to the front door. I'm still smiling at the vision of your daughter being joined in the bath Finley. X
Looking forward to seeing more pet photos. They're such a joy and often a reason to go on. They just love don't they? Xx

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start » 29 Aug 2014 10:37

Morning all

Ah, April, I think the exact same has happened to us! The breeder emailed this morning to say that she emailed us both twice last weekend but no response. Bullsh!t! Hubby and I both double checked our emails and there is definitely nothing from her!

It turns out 2 of the puppies have been chosen last weekend as they are going to be worked and they wanted pups with no white on them so their fur doesn't alert the birds.

I wish she would have just been honest with us as that is perfectly fine. No need to fib about sending emails!

Anyway, there are still 4 girls to choose from so all ok. We are going up on Saturday lunch time. I will take photos!

Exciting!

x

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 29 Aug 2014 12:37

Dat is my knee and dat is my pigeon friend. He ended up pecking seed from my foot.
Attachments
phpTnbXUDAM.jpg
phpTnbXUDAM.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 1107 times

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 29 Aug 2014 12:47

Ha ha Dave, is that where you go looking for 'birds' . She's cute, don't let her near your credit card though ;) :D

Dennis P. Kimbro

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start » 29 Aug 2014 12:58

Must have met her on Twitter eh Shadow!? :lol:

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 29 Aug 2014 13:01

Ha ha ! Good one Fresh start ;)? :lol:

Dennis P. Kimbro

aprilstart

Post by aprilstart » 29 Aug 2014 13:43

Fresh start, Good luck with the choosing! I'm almost glad we were 'allocated' Bert as I don't know how I've have not ended up wanting all of them. I'm sure you'll get a feeling - I wish I could come with you. The breeder should have been more honest, we felt a bit peed off particularly as we were spending exactly the same!
Put some pics up won't you? Promise? (she begs)
Jaxom, what very smooth knees you have. No wonder you got the bird. ;) I read that you've been in Hernia Bay on your hols?( I lived in Whitstabubble for 2 lovely years and then Faversham before moving to the midlands. Beautiful bit of Kent). So good to see you back! come and say hi to the 2MTs when you have a mo.
Have a good weekend all, especially you Freshie. xxx

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 29 Aug 2014 13:56

Oh, Annie wossname! Yeah, Whitstable. I have run there and back a few times in the last month. Went the other way to Reculver too. I love oysters but alas there isn't an R in the month so Whitty market was a waste of space.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention it but that bird was a he. :shock:

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 29 Aug 2014 14:03

Nah , the bird looks feminine to me ;)

Dennis P. Kimbro

aprilstart

Post by aprilstart » 29 Aug 2014 14:05

Dave, HOW do you KNOW its a he??
yes, whossname.... everyone called me April cos of screen name, then told folks it is actually Ann Marie then got dubbed Annie by Cowboy so now it's a right old mixture!!

Orgust,. ... ? :D