Animal Companions (aka Pets)

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Re: Animal Companions (aka Pets)

Post by Bluebottle »

Glad to hear Beans is settling in nicely.

I met 4 Jack Russell's on the bus today, they were really friendly, made my day, I'm easily pleased. :D
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Since my little female cat was put to sleep i have been offered 2 cats on two separate occasions. One is the sweet male rescue cat that my daughter and i nursed in Crete last September. He was scalded with acid or something similar by a cruel local and as part of our pet sitting service we had to clean and treat his scar for 2 weeks. He was so sweet and trusting considering the cruelty he had experienced from a human and we bonded with him in that time. I did say to his new owner that i would fly him back to us if it didn't work out with her. The thing is he has never got out of his spraying and i think i would find that too stressful, especially as my black cat is doing that recently. And it must be bad spraying because his new owner fell in love with him too. Si i turned him down but i keep thinking of him :|
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad »

Our lovely black 17 year old Shadow cat has end stage kidney disease. The vet wanted to put him down today after trying to rehydrate him last 2 days on drip.

I said no and took him home with me. I really can't bear losing this cat yet. He's too special :cry:

Dennis P. Kimbro

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

Sooo sorry to hear that Nicky <:)> <:)> <:)> I know how it feels to lose your favourite furbaby <:)> <:)>

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Nicky <:)>
#5 on the 2022 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

So sorry to hear this, Nicky <:)> <:)> <:)>
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz »

Ah, so sorry to hear this Nicky. Their are no words. Lots of love. <:)>
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad »

Many thanks for your kind hugs and understanding dear BE friends <:)>

I know many members have sadly lost pets recently and it is part of having animals, they have to leave us at some stage. Rightly or wrongly i needed another couple of days with our sweet Shadow cat, to say goodbye properly and give him all the love and cuddles that he has given us over the years...

download (48).jpg
download (48).jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 2652 times

Dennis P. Kimbro

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Nicky <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2022 Challenge

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 31 Oct 2021

Post by Luna_ »

Hi Nicky and all animal-people, hope you're all well and for those who recently lost a friend - one of these <:)>

I'm very sad today - our old dog has symptoms of kidney failure and has to go to the vets this afternoon. I suspect it will be a one way trip :cry:

My kids are devastated, he has been around as long as they can remember. He is 15, and that's really at the max of the life-span of his breed so there really isn't anything to be done about it. But only last autumn we buried our cat (who lived to be 19...) - and it was the same with her - kidney failure. I now know the symptoms better and want to act before he is really suffering (I suspect I waited too long with the cat but I didn't understand the connection between limb weakness/legs sort of bending the wrong way) and kidneys. I thought she'd been run over at first..

I think in dog's case, it was triggered by the spell of very hot weather - and then he couldn't keep up with drinking enough fluids. He lives outside in one of these husky houses, and for a while now hasn't managed to jump up and hang out on the roof as they like to do. He can't go for long walks anymore and can't handle rough terrain, all of which have been his life. So - I've been imagining him as a pensioner (he has a good working life behind him), sitting in his rocking chair, surveying everything around him (and complaining about everyone - he's taken to barking when he wants something or if people pass on bikes). I imagine him thumping his cane on the floor to get a carer to come... But still, I have imagined he likes just hanging out, reminiscing. Last year though, when we got the sledge out (for the younger dog) - whereas he used to go bananas at the thought of a nice long trip - he took one look at it and disappeared into his house, without a sound.

I think his time is up, but the thought of him not being here to greet me every time I walk out or in the door fills me with grief. I've had him since the time I joined BE - early 2011 (my ex moved in with him - and left in early 2016 without him). The dog has never really forgiven my ex for leaving - he is very much a one-man dog - he is friendly and loves us and all that, but he doesn't respect me or work in harmony with me as he did with ex - that's utter loyalty for you and I respect the old dog for that. Devoting his heart to one person and never forgetting.

In all this I'm glad sobriety is measured in weeks these days, instead of day(s) and that I have had enough of it now to be able to bat off cravings and accept that all situations are better off without alcohol sloshing around in my system. I bumped into a couple the other day in the mountains, leaning on rocks and nursing a beer each. I got this pang - but then, one beer just doesn't do it, so I really now prefer just to stick my head into a stream and enjoy the fresh-tasting clean water.
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Luna <:)> <:)> so sorry about your dog. Hope things go as well as they can this afternoon and that when the time comes it is a peaceful goodbye. Take care.xxx

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

I’m really sorry to read of your dog,Luna. Time goes too quickly with our dogs and we can only cherish the memories. I’ve lost two dogs on my time on BE , our 1st rescue dog is now nearly 12 and quite creaky in her back legs . You know there is quite a lot to find on grief when we lose a pet, or their time is near . It might help if you like as a comfort. Our 2nd rescue we had for a year and I must have so many photos of him. I keep one on the main screen of my phone and laminated a picture of him on one of his favourite walks ,again put in my phone pocket. He is missed as is our first dog ,but memories help . Drinking on it doesn’t <:)>

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfa ... ereavement

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereav ... d-pet-loss

Jj123

Post by Jj123 »

Lots of love Luna. Thanks for sharing your old dogs story. It’s like a film. I love thinking of him as a cantankerous oap banging his stick. The bit about him walking away when you brought out the sledge fair got me going. They are so amazing dogs. The bit you mentioned about loyalty to one human but give his heart to another also made sense. What was his working life?
Thanks again for sharing his story and lots of love
JJ
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Letting them go. I'd rather be too early than too late. <:)>
be selfish in your sobriety.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

DannyD wrote:
29 Jul 2020 14:17
Letting them go. I'd rather be too early than too late. <:)>
<:)> <:)> I know exactly what you mean, D. It's absolutely horrible for us when loss occurs, but our happy memories remain testament to the fact that the beloved one enjoyed a good life <:)>

Luna <:)> <:)> <:)>
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words <:)>
It's done now, and it was hard to come back to his empty house. The other dog is miserable and confused too.
It was for the best and although it was sad, I was also a bit relieved that he got to go "over the rainbow bridge" in a dignified manner.
Pickles - you are so right. Drinking isn't appropriate, useful or respectful.
I am happy to have remained sober.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Luna <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2022 Challenge

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

Luna, many <:)>
Rachel

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Well yesterday it was time to say goodby to an old friend of over 12 years. A part of our lives that has moved on but will not be forgotten. I said goodbye and hugged her and said that I loved her and would never forget her. Then she was gone. No pain just a sedative and needle and then sleep and wherever these faithful friends of man go. She had a good life and I will remember walks and playing fetch but mostly I will remember one of the smartest dogs I have ever known. And crazy? You bet. If anybody ever wants a super, crazy, high maintenance dog get a Border Collie. I will be sad and I will miss her but I know in my heart she was in pain and is in a better place.
Recovery is giving up one thing for everything. Addiction is giving up everything for one thing.

Luna_

Post by Luna_ »

Oh Cowboy <:)> <:)> <:)>
Taking farewell with our four legged life-companions is never easy, but you put it so well. There is a time to let go. And send them off. In the language where I live, when it's their time, they call it that they go over the rainbow bridge. We send them over and off they go, without the pain and whatever ailed them on this side.
I feel with you, border collie man.
I still have an empty husky house outside our house. I feel your pain, but it is the right thing to do.
Take it easy, friend <:)> <:)>
Love
Xxxxx

Rainbow_Bridge.jpg
Rainbow_Bridge.jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 1746 times