Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Post by Topcat »

:\: Hi Nicky. Lucky you to have someone with you who is a keen gardener ;)?
Shadowlad wrote:
03 Apr 2020 20:08
Have you been pruning TC or out relaxing and reading in the sunshine ?
I did all the strimming and mowing and then I sat in the sunshine with a nice cup of coffee and watched the sparrows at the feeders (squabbling) :lol:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Topcat wrote:
03 Apr 2020 20:11
I did all the strimming and mowing and then I sat in the sunshine with a nice cup of coffee and watched the sparrows at the feeders (squabbling :lol:
Well done ! :D Now you will be able to enjoy your neat garden this weekend in the good weather ;)? <:)>
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Sure will ;)?

Enjoy your weekend too <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Thank you will do ;)? <:)>
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Mowed the lawn 10 days ago and spent 2 days in the garden then downed tools when the weather changed. Now it's picking up again I'll get the lawn mower out again (yes it's grown back again ()o ) and do the front garden - it's only a little one so won't take long. Then I'll look on line for more plants I would like - virtual gardening :lol:

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Spats wrote:
04 Apr 2020 08:37
Then I'll look on line for more plants I would like - virtual gardening
:lol: Enjoy Spats. My grass isn't growing so much, it's the dandelions that are :roll:

I've just seen some real plants for sale at the village shop....oh goody \:)/
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson »

I just cut the lawns for the first time this year. Knackered

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

Yep it's that time of year when I start to become Garden Bore for Britain.
I am working my way round the boarders in the bottom half of my garden - all devoted to fruit bushes - weeding in preparation for fertilizing and mulching.
Also sowed lots of seeds over the last fortnight, most of which have come up. Another batch done today to go into the propagator. Peas and beans shortly. (Tomorrow? Or wait a bit?)
No idea where I am going to put them all if there is a long period of time between coming up and being able to put them outside. No greenhouse.
I am loving it. (Not the weeding.) I make myself work slowly and carefully (contrary to my nature.) Annoying that I have a cut on the top of my thumb, though which was a bit oozy this morning :shock: It's hard to keep it clean even with a plaster and a plastic glove under my gardening glove (the plastic glove induces separating which makes the plaster fall of but the location of the cut makes it hard to get a tight seal with a plaster.)
Will sow some raddish tomorrow, and maybe some flower seeds straight into the ground.
I plan to grow tomatoes in a different location this year. The shrubby, bamboo-obscured fence had been replaced by a new one, and now there's no longer an apple tree down there this means much more light, although not much of a wind break.
Slightly worried that I am being over ambitious and ordered far too many plants, though. (And spent too much money.) But what price good mental health...?
Rachel

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Gardening tip. Buy Gardeners World. I think it's the April copy that carries the two for one garden visit card.

EDIT. not the April edition, I've just had a look. Must be May.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Good tip, D ;)?

Funny you should bump this thread today as I'd already set it aside as the first day I'd devote to the garden.

I have a helluva lot of rebuilding to do this year. A lot wasn't done last summer because I felt too overwhelmed by the enormity of Project Garden in its entirety, rather than just focusing on one task at a time.

So, this year's goal is to work on it a bit at a time, every week, and to keep on top of what has already been done.

I'm less bothered about finishing it (when is a garden ever 'finished'?) than with making progress. I want the neighbours to see this too as it has embarrassed me terribly for well over a year now how crappy it looks.

So, today:

1. Empty as much of the sheds as possible. Decant tools etc into the Hobbit Hole/coal cupboard. Take as much rubbish as possible to the tip, ahead of dismantling and replacing the sheds.

2. Mow mine and neighbour's lawns.

But first... get out of bed ;)
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

My garden is a bit building site-like at the moment. Not entirely due to the concrete foundation for the greenhouse being put down, either.

We need to have a shed sort out too. It's a big shed and you can't actually go in it at the moment. Waiting for run of dry days (We've just had one but it's going to rain today, possibly.) And a free weekend. (Weirdly the next two are busy.)

I have a sub to GW, Danny. Hopefully I didn't miss the card. Not sure if I've had May's magazine yet.

I've been growing lots of things from seed. I probably ought to stop as I am really very much running out of room. This time of year is tricky. It's too early to harden off most things. In a month though... meanwhile 3 large trays in the sitting room and 4 half sized ones on the kitchen window, three big trays in the lean to and other things here and there. This exhausts south facing sunny bits of the house. There's a balcony which means 1st floor south-facing windows are a little shaded.

I am out on Sunday (visiting Wakehurst gardens) but on Saturday, the plan is to prick more things out, possibly pot on some tomatillos/tomatoes/ aubergines (but not, if I can get away with it as they will then take up more room) and pot up my sweet peas. I got so worried about these back in Feb/March but have rather neglected them in the last month. They should have been potted on really. But will go straight to potting up in final pots now. (They will survive but was trying to grow really strong healthy plants in the hope that they will not be killed off by mildew within a month, as they were last year.)

Sorry. The gardening thread is a dangerous one for me. Garden bore button easily pressed.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

My sweet peas are now in situ, with lots of slug pellets. However, I'm worried that mice might like a nibble on them

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Rachel wrote:
15 Apr 2021 11:41
My garden is a bit building site-like at the moment. Not entirely due to the concrete foundation for the greenhouse being put down, either.
See , that sounds very like my garden too, Rachel! It used to be lovely, then circumstances robbed me of time a few summers ago and I let things go. I've made stabs at doing things in different parts of it since but currently they all look like abandoned works-in-(no)-progress. Piles of loose rubble or earth where such piles definitely do not belong.

Anyway, I gutted one shed yesterday, the 'garden shed proper', with all the tools etc in it. The second shed is filled mostly with my wife's paperwork (for example, a box full of recipe cards she collected from a magazine 15-20.years ago, has never used but refuses to part with. Annoyed, moi? ()o ). Thankfully, she's keen now to deal with this stuff, the plan being to replace the two (delapidated) sheds with something more substantial.

I also mowed the lawns.

Most of our garden at the back is on a mild slope down to the house, except for a raised and level square of lawn at the far end, where the sheds are. I'm going to extend this area by a metre or so.

All this is in plain view of many overlooking neighbours, on our street and the street above that overlooks us. During the previous two summers, what little I did (e.g. building the new bike shed) centred on the side garden, seen really only by us and our immediate neighbour. It strikes me that improving the more public areas first, this summer, will be more motivational for me. It must be hurt pride, but I've been embarrassed at how bad I let the back become, so it feels good that the neighbours will, at long last, begin to see an improvement. I'll want to do a good job, and I'll want keep going until all is achieved.
Rachel wrote:
15 Apr 2021 11:41
Sorry. The gardening thread is a dangerous one for me. Garden bore button easily pressed.
Not at all! Hark at me waffling on at much greater length about much less expert things!
DannyD wrote:
16 Apr 2021 07:22
My sweet peas are now in situ, with lots of slug pellets. However, I'm worried that mice might like a nibble on them
The sweet peas sound lovely, D. I haven't grown them for a long while. I hope the mice don't get at them. There was evidence of rodents during yesterday's shed clearance. Gnawed boxes and so forth. Perhaps they will have eaten wife's recipe cards ;)
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I recently found a burrow which I think was vole shape. I do get a lot of rats - and put down poison. I would love a visiting hedgehog, but then worry about the slug pellets and rat poison.

I have ideas for the garden, but very little energy.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Do mice go for sweet pea plants? I thought this was only a danger when they are tiny :o

I really need to pot mine up. I was waiting for pots, them compost, then water retaining crystals, which I thought might be a good idea, but everything is in my possession now, so it's only time, possibly weather and primarily inclination that stop me. I hope they are still ok after being root bound for over a month. This will survive and flower I am sure, but the question is how long with they last. Last year only a month before mildew got 'em. Sorry I am sure I am repeating myself…

I seriously need to prick out seedlings.

Actual gardening really helps with anxiety and depression, but I need to find a way to stop getting anxious about the garden...
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

It was something I read some where recently. Gardener had planted out about 20 sweet peas and lost the lot over night, so was thinking of mouse traps.

I've been thinking of looking for a gardener - or a local lad/lass for general maintenance. Any idea how much people are charging these days?

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

DannyD wrote:
16 Apr 2021 12:29
I've been thinking of looking for a gardener - or a local lad/lass for general maintenance. Any idea how much people are charging these days?
This makes me feel rather old, Danny! As a young teenager, I used to get £3 a week for mowing elderly Miss Littler's lawn (rising to £5 for additional weeding/lifting jobs). One glorious summer Saturday afternoon she invited me inside her bungalow to watch the Women's Wimbledon Final with her (and still paid me!). This was 1993, the classic Graf-Novotna match, at the end of which Jana Novotna cried on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder. Miss Littler was quite a stern lady and thought this was a little inappropriate, but I could tell she knew that we had both been moved by it.

Back then, I also got a fiver for working for my uncle's landscaping firm on Saturday mornings, plus another fiver if I was needed in the afternoon. It sounds so little now, but alongside the paper round it afforded me many books and records at the time :D

I hope you find someone good, reliable and affordable ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

PS.
Rachel wrote:
16 Apr 2021 10:20
Actual gardening really helps with anxiety and depression, but I need to find a way to stop getting anxious about the garden...

<:)> Rather than worry about all that "needs" to be done, why not just work away on a bit at a time; keep that bit up to date, and then slowly work away at the rest? A garden is never finished; it's all just work-in-progress and maintenance, after all... Or so they say - or so I tell myself ;)

Along related lines, may I have a wee colossal moan? My wife did the same thing today that she has done for the last couple of years. Just a day after I happily began this year's work, she suddenly mentioned all the things that she has (in her own words) "decided" that "we" are going to "do" during the summer. It demoralises me SOOO much. I'm the only one who does the work. She decides what "we" will do, and then I am expected to do it.

It makes me feel so much like hired help that I almost want to cry. She's a lovely person and means no harm, but I just feel I have no decisions to make of my own, I'm just here to do the donkey work. It's sooo deflating. I don't even think her ideas are massively practical. This has been the reason I've given up for the last couple of summers.

Ach! Sorry for the whine! I am going to be stronger-willed, this summer. What gets done gets done on my terms. It's not like anything else will get done by anyone else, anyway...

This has not been the sunniest of spring-like gardening posts, so I leave you instead with the optimistic overtones of Brian Wilson (circa him installing a sandpit in the music room, burying his head in it, and no longer caring what was going on in the outside world) :D :lol:
~ Marianne Faithfull

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I recently saw a film about the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson was much maligned. Who knows how much he could have written if he hadn't had that whacky pretend doctor force feeding him inappropriate drugs.

Mark is there any chance you could talk to your wife about how you feel?

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

The things I worry about are mainly self-inflicted things, like growing and/or buying too many plants, not getting round to planting them out when I should, worrying about who's going to water them when we go away etc. Actually, just those three things! Also husband doesn't like all my pots (in the house and on patio) or me spending money on the garden so there is a constant sense of guilt. The house is rather full of plants at the moment. This is a tricky time of year. It’s just too early to put most things outside.
Meanwhile, the cluttered patio is giving me a lovely view from my settee. I'm afraid there are at least as many pots around corner too, and I admit there's not a lot of room to put the garden table on it. But when it gets warmer, the pots of bulbs will go down the garden to die back and I can move the cold frame.

51119375374_073b69a690_c.jpg
51119375374_073b69a690_c.jpg (175.04 KiB) Viewed 144 times
51119626216_519d5b3c58_c.jpg
51119626216_519d5b3c58_c.jpg (233.76 KiB) Viewed 144 times
That is a bit off, Jjjj. Is there no room for compromise? Would you get in trouble if you do something different?

My husband isn't interested in the garden at all and basically mows the lawn (I can't because the mower he bought is too heavy for me) and angrily hacks at the wisteria. (It now no longer flowers.) I think he'd like to concrete over it or have it all as lawn. (Hence his aforementioned disapproval at my endeavours and spending money on it.) I have been treading very carefully with the greenhouse and raised beds as I sense he's not keen and/or not understanding what I want to do with them. I have been very clear at each stage what I'd like to do, and what my intentions are if he’s ok with that, and given him get out clauses all along the way until the point of no return. But today I got shock and horror when he 'realized' that I won't be putting all my pots and growing all the tomatoes in the greenhouse. I have made this clear all along... I grew tomatoes on the balcony last year with his encouragement, and they did so well up there so was intending to repeat this. But this year, apparently, it's a bit tacky?!? Sigh.

I do rather envy the easy teamwork with which my neighbours on one side garden together - they also have an allotment. (On the other, it's just the Mr P who does it. Mrs P makes him lunch. The garden is very very neat and tidy and functional.)

Oh and I now have a gardener to help me out! They start next Friday.

There, sorry, I've moaned too. In the interests of fairness, husband did construct a raised bed for me, and has promised to construct another (although he's not very happy about their location...)
At lunch time today, I effectively increased the plant load indoors by pricking out a few pots of seedlings - calendula, penstemons and tomatillos. Tomorrow I'll do cosmos and some more calendula and maybe some more things :o And, er, sow some more seeds. And make a decision about the few that have not germinated. (Put in cold frame and see what happens?)
I might do the sweet peas too... :? I thought I had the day to myself, but may only get the afternoon.
Rachel