Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
seismic23

Re: Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Post by seismic23 »

Plot inspection on 28th April. I think I'll be alright.
Next door though,,,,, :roll: Still not sure why they pay their rent.
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

So what happens if you don't make the grade?

I have been ordering things... :) (Plants mainly.)

Still pondering the possibility of a small polytunnel.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

If you're deemed to be "sh1t" then you get a letter outlining your shiteness. You have 2 weeks to get it in order.
My neighbours generally manage to do enough to dupe the inspectors. Not sure how you can cover 1/2 a plot for years in black plastic and call that being 'cultivated'

One plot holding couple have a polytunnel. They spent,,,,,,,£1000. :shock:
The one I eyed up for putting in a 1/4 plot came in at £750, far too spendy. Price per crop just goes up n up.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

The polytunnel I am looking at is about £350 I think. Need to do more research. It would be very small.

Bought a load of manure today. Need to give my fruit bushes and rhuharb a boost. Will put some Growmore down as well. Plant to sow some seeds tomorrow unless we go out. After next weekend I will be able to do some of these things after work.
Last edited by Rachel on 23 Mar 2019 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

I've been visiting my sister who is well ahead on her garden. Sweet peas and broad beans ready to be gardened off. Veg garden all ready for veg. I still have to dig mine, but I did come away feeling enthused. Perhaps tomorrow.

My greenhouse has lots of broken panes. It's quite expensive to replace all that glass. I'm thinking of buying poly tunnel polythene, and just throwing it over the top.
be selfish in your sobriety.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

I salvaged all the sweet pea seeds from last year and planted the lot in November. I have masses of them. I'll be stinking the house out later in the year.
Broad beans went in in November too.
I put some peas in a couple of weeks ago, also some carrots. Transplanted Jerusalem artichokes yesterday and a fair amount of moving things.
My asparagus is poking up! Lovely daffodil crop so far.
Today some spinach and beetroot to go in I think. Oh but where,,,,,,

S'all good man,,,,,, 8-)

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Did you put the peas straight outside? This seems to work better for me. Tempted to start some off inside, just for the fun of seeing something growing, but probably not a good idea really.
Contemplating getting a sort of trough for them - my most successful ones are alwasy the ones I grow in a deep, but not very wide or long teracotta window box planter.

Can't find the seeds I ordered and not sure now if they actually arrived. DT Browns - they don''t say if despatched or not.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Peas - grow them in an old bit of guttering, then slip the whole lot into a trench?

Seismic my daffs have been blind. Any idea why some bulbs are blind? And are they worth keeping?

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

I'm no bulb expert. I think tulips are only really any good for 2-3 years. Daffs are normally very reliable.

Many folk do the guttering thing, I don't generally have the space at home, nor the car to transport. I've cloched the peas, hoop cloche, but the glass for the ends I'd normally use is on the carrot cloches. I often plant later anyways with chicken wire over them to keep off pigeons and keep out the mice. Definitely outside and I chuck in fistfuls of them. Cheap at Lidl.

Went to plant earlier, no beetroot seeds!

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Not sure about that re daffodils. My mother has had a wonderful display in her front garden for decades. I suppose they might be constantly self dividing and dying off... I can ask her. She is an expert cottage gardener ( no interest in edibles :o )

Maybe they need food... or rather the soil does!

re peas, so they do better off when started outside because they don't like being moved/transplanted?

I have very limited garden land/soil unfortunately to do as you suggest. Essentially one 1m square raised bed that's suitableish, but not great in terms of light. I don't necessarily want to devote the whole bed to peas, so need to grow some in pots too. Plus, as I have indicated, the raised bed location is not ideal (but there is nowhere else it can go.) Actually I have two... er, three raised beds, but one of the others is mainly taken up by rhubarb. I know. silly. I should get rid of some. It's right next to the not ideally situated one, and even less ideally situated. (School behind us seems to have panted bamboo that's overshadowing it too which doesn't help. Some stealthy hacking back is required.) The third, much shallower one, is really in a shady spot so only any good for things that will tolerate little sun.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Yep, peas really don't like being transplanted. Fairly deep roots too. I think I transplanted one year, not too bad. Last year I did loo rolls for peas. I also had a poor batch of compost. Compost was dry and didn't retain moisture, the loo rolls sucked up moisture, those peas were bad. The ones straight in the ground were much better.

Burnt a load of stuff today that had been hanging around a while. Also forked over the area going to be for spuds.

Asparagus has started! \:)/

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

When I moved in to my house (over 30 years ago), I had a smart little greenhouse. Over the years, it's become very neglected: numerous broken panes and the door has broken off. Yesterday I tackled bramble that has been growing over it. The structure is sort of sound, there is very little unbroken glass left, the inside staging is rotton, I'm not sure if it's worth trying to resurrect (being fascaetious, Easter is around the corner - time of resurrections), or whether I should just call it a day and break it down. Certainly I should get out all the broken glass. I feel quite vulnerable anywhere near it - a slip of a pane - and my head is off (gory imagination). Thinks (can you see the bubble drifting above my head?).

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

I'm sure some small panes from a local glazier won't be too much? Certainly compared to a new greenhouse.
Staging. Well any old shelving will do. Scour the gumtree freebies? Though many things go very quickly.

Spuds to go in next weekend. P'raps sowing the parsnips too,,,,
It's feeling like it's all kicking off.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Looking at the temperature I'll hold off on parsnips for a bit.
Shallots can be transplanted, they've been in pots but have sprouted.
Onions (240 :o ) to go in modules at home.
Spuds can go in.
Beetroot to start, more carrots, spring onions, the job list goes on and on.

Shall I transplant the November sown sweet peas? Too cool outside? Certainly looking like 3 degrees overnight.

My tomato seedlings look like they want a bigger pot but temperature is too cool for them.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Back to rootnfruit today for few hours and got allotment grown spinach for tea tonight (::)

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Must have been over wintered spinach. This time is known as the 'hungry gap'. I've sown spinach but it's currently just small leaves.

Shallots are doing well.
Today I have:
Transplanted chillis (very cold over night forecast though)
Sown courgettes and cucumbers and Sweetcorn. More asters too, don't trust the old seed.
Trimmed cosmos seedlings and other chilli seedlings.

The sweet peas got moved but the frosts are getting to them, I have however, really packed them in, so they'll crop okay
Tomatoes in the outside grow-house last week too.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

These were sown last Sunday:
IMG_9797.JPG
IMG_9797.JPG (73.09 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Most things have come up. (They looks a bit straggly from this angle...

I have just moved them somewhere with a bit more light. They are in a heated propagator. When do you think I should taken them out of the heat?
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Toms Rachel? I'd shift them on when at 4 leaves.

Yesterday I transplanted 240 onions. Had to pack them in. I'm running out of space. Then the association chairman speaks to me about plonker neighbour's plot. Myself and the tenants on the other side of him are eyeing it up. There's no waiting list for plots.
Polytunnel? Extravagant. But,,,,,melons, aubergines, sweet peppers, late chrysanthemums etc.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

That's a lot of onions :)
How will you eat them all?

Yes the tomatoes need to stay in a bit longer, but the ourgettes porbbaly ought to come out of hte heated propagator. I should have done it this evening really. I took off the lid. WIll put it back on before I go to bed.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

80 onions each of three varieties. We're a family of four (though the kids claim not to like onions, they get fed them anyways)

A couple of years back sone of them weren't storing well so I chopped them and froze them. Wife appreciated that, took the ready prepped ones over the ones that were looking okay stored outside

More sowing. Carnations, sweet William,sunflowers (2 types), basil, lettuce, courgettes, cucumbers, Sweetcorn.